Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,241 members, 7,829,441 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:01 AM

How Do You Browse The Net On Linux Or Unix? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Do You Browse The Net On Linux Or Unix? (1394 Views)

Bash Shell Vulnerability Affects Linux, Unix And Mac OS X / Whats Up With Vb.net On Txt Files And Hard Disk! / Can't Connect To D Net On Linux (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Browse The Net On Linux Or Unix? by asalimpo(m): 2:12am On Jul 28, 2014
it seems nigerian telcos didnt factor in *nixes when customizing their huawei dongles.
Re: How Do You Browse The Net On Linux Or Unix? by Javanian: 7:45am On Jul 28, 2014
I create a hotspot with my phone and connect via wifi...
Re: How Do You Browse The Net On Linux Or Unix? by lordZOUGA(m): 8:34am On Jul 28, 2014
I also think there is a way to use modems on Ubuntu. Though I think it requires some hacking.
Re: How Do You Browse The Net On Linux Or Unix? by Bassie(m): 9:20am On Jul 28, 2014
@asalimpo, what Linux distro do you use. Assuming it's Debian Based, you can use the network manager to create a "Mobile Broadband" Connection.Little Directions attached. No "Hacking" would be needed.

Re: How Do You Browse The Net On Linux Or Unix? by curiouslad(m): 1:18pm On Jul 28, 2014
Just enable modem manager
Alternatively
I eventually had to install this MP21 to prevent me from switching to windows when i needed to recharge or check data balance

http://askubuntu.com/questions/323396/how-to-install-huawei-mobile-partner-21-in-ubuntu
Re: How Do You Browse The Net On Linux Or Unix? by asalimpo(m): 9:42pm On Jul 28, 2014
@bassie
i use windows but have dabbled with ubuntu (very lil experience).
But wanna switch ,the internet issue is an issue. Thnks 4 d attachmnt.

@curiouslad
will investigate tht angle
Re: How Do You Browse The Net On Linux Or Unix? by kennedyugo: 3:30pm On Aug 01, 2014
Very simple. Once u plug the modem, even phone, click network manager and set up new broadband connection. Select nigeria and the provider. That's all u need. To recharge, u can easily download the huawei modem manager.
Re: How Do You Browse The Net On Linux Or Unix? by uken73(m): 10:18pm On Aug 10, 2014
In the past when playing about with Linux & Windows on the same network I had used joined Linux machines to the windows network and shared files through Linux SMB. I also shared the Internet connection on a windows machine through the network adapter and the Linux machines were able to browse. I still use this concept sometimes to share the Internet connection on my PC with my android phone. The same idea has been useful in allowing me test run web apps for responsiveness on my android which would connect to the testing server which is my development machine.

I've never tried accessing a modem directly on a Linux machine. Major issue is going to be the drivers.
Re: How Do You Browse The Net On Linux Or Unix? by asalimpo(m): 11:24pm On Aug 10, 2014
I'll try out d points here. Wanna live in linux for a while . It's not just as intuitive as windows.
Call him watyalike but billy gatus really built smthg for d mobs.
Also "this software is not genuine" (win7 os) is beginng to get to me. And windows can't read my simpletech hard drive.
I thought it was dead until i used it on linux! Linux readit like a neon sign. Its time one makes a switch. Only this internet thg is holdg. But i'll try thngs out.

(1) (Reply)

5 Programming Languages Marked For Death / GMAIL Style Mailbox Design With PHP Pagination And Sorting / Android AIDE Premium Key Problem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.