Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,268 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:58 AM

Li-fi Takes Over Wi-fi As New Way Of Internet Sharing Via Micro LED - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Li-fi Takes Over Wi-fi As New Way Of Internet Sharing Via Micro LED (3167 Views)

Again, Glo Emerges Leader Of Internet Market / Li-fi Gets Ready To Compete With Wi-fi / How To Hack Wi-fi Password Using Your Android Phone (2015) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Li-fi Takes Over Wi-fi As New Way Of Internet Sharing Via Micro LED by romoruyi(m): 8:26am On Jul 28, 2014
Receiving music or videos on a tablet, a computer or a smartphone, without an internet connection, wi-fi or 3G , but only through the light of a lamp, that's what the Li-Fi technology allows. This technology has existed for several years, it's a technique that uses light sources like a morse code to transmit binary code to a receiver.

But now a group of researchers based in the UK have been able to achieve a transfer rate of 10 gigabit/s record, ten times faster than the fastest fiber optic connections of Google. Such speeds were made possible by the use of micro LED that flashes quickly to communicate in binary code. Researchers have associated red, green and blue LEDs to recreate a white light and increase the amount of information transferred simultaneously.

The technology could replace the wireless Internet connections communicating through radio waves, it has its advantages as well as drawbacks. First of all the connection depends on the amount of light that passes from the LED to a receiver, but still does not require a direct line of sight. You can bounce the signal using mirrors, or even simple walls. Drawback, the connection can not pass through walls or opaque materials. It seeks to create secured areas or limited access.

It's been almost 10 years that different teams were working on Li-Fi technology, earlier this month, a team of Chinese scientists have achieved a speed of 150 megabits only with light bulbs. NASA is also working on its own Li-Fi system based on the use of a high-powered laser that can transmit data at high speed over long distances and to other planets.

Click here to continue story and watch the video: http://revos-vision..com/2014/07/li-fi-goes-up-to-10-gigabits-through.html

Re: Li-fi Takes Over Wi-fi As New Way Of Internet Sharing Via Micro LED by eunisam: 8:39am On Jul 28, 2014
can this work in 9ja where they is no light except sunshine?

2 Likes

Re: Li-fi Takes Over Wi-fi As New Way Of Internet Sharing Via Micro LED by gen2briz(m): 8:46am On Jul 28, 2014
Blog as source again....
Re: Li-fi Takes Over Wi-fi As New Way Of Internet Sharing Via Micro LED by spikesC(m): 11:16am On Jul 28, 2014
Wow, makes die sense.

My future research project is transmitting data and monitoring object positions via the use of light streams and this article just proves helpful cool
Re: Li-fi Takes Over Wi-fi As New Way Of Internet Sharing Via Micro LED by Collinz2(m): 11:43am On Jul 28, 2014
Bt we no dey get light 4 naija na
Re: Li-fi Takes Over Wi-fi As New Way Of Internet Sharing Via Micro LED by calddon(m): 11:49am On Jul 28, 2014
i will never be impressed with technology till i can download food

4 Likes

Re: Li-fi Takes Over Wi-fi As New Way Of Internet Sharing Via Micro LED by EnterPRO: 1:17pm On Jul 28, 2014
still requires some form of line of sight, even if its scattered or bounced.
Re: Li-fi Takes Over Wi-fi As New Way Of Internet Sharing Via Micro LED by Collinz2(m): 1:33pm On Jul 28, 2014
calddon: i will never be impressed with technology till i can download food
u are sick

1 Like

Re: Li-fi Takes Over Wi-fi As New Way Of Internet Sharing Via Micro LED by opportunist: 1:36pm On Jul 28, 2014
Great but how would it help bring back our girls?
Re: Li-fi Takes Over Wi-fi As New Way Of Internet Sharing Via Micro LED by calddon(m): 2:45pm On Jul 28, 2014
Collinz2: u are sick
m hoping u meant no insult there
Re: Li-fi Takes Over Wi-fi As New Way Of Internet Sharing Via Micro LED by calddon(m): 2:51pm On Jul 28, 2014
Collinz2: u are sick
abeg o
Re: Li-fi Takes Over Wi-fi As New Way Of Internet Sharing Via Micro LED by neuljosh(m): 3:40pm On Jul 28, 2014
Very impressive I hope it kicks up soon. Can't wait for an Internet speed of 150MBPS, I will download the all the downloadables.
Re: Li-fi Takes Over Wi-fi As New Way Of Internet Sharing Via Micro LED by Dexpro: 4:02pm On Jul 28, 2014
Nice one there.
Re: Li-fi Takes Over Wi-fi As New Way Of Internet Sharing Via Micro LED by seunlayi(m): 4:15pm On Jul 28, 2014
necessity us truly the mother of invention
Re: Li-fi Takes Over Wi-fi As New Way Of Internet Sharing Via Micro LED by Jeffoo(m): 4:42pm On Jul 28, 2014
nice one
Re: Li-fi Takes Over Wi-fi As New Way Of Internet Sharing Via Micro LED by alotofgrace(m): 5:02pm On Jul 28, 2014
Li-fi keh?
bikonu, Nepa go become god of the universe. u will prefer slapping ur boss to messing with a nepa man
Re: Li-fi Takes Over Wi-fi As New Way Of Internet Sharing Via Micro LED by kekakuz(m): 5:31pm On Jul 28, 2014
neuljosh: Very impressive I hope it kicks up soon. Can't wait for an Internet speed of 150MBPS, I will download the all the downloadables.

all we do is download
we don't ever thing of uploading
what if the up loaders were thinking like you,what will you have to download.
Re: Li-fi Takes Over Wi-fi As New Way Of Internet Sharing Via Micro LED by decode55(m): 5:52pm On Jul 28, 2014
shocked bloody!
Re: Li-fi Takes Over Wi-fi As New Way Of Internet Sharing Via Micro LED by ayox2003: 6:05pm On Jul 28, 2014
calddon: i will never be impressed with technology till i can download food

Take a trip to Japan. There are vending machines that will do that for you. The Internet was made for multimedia. Only if can have your belly tweaked into convert media into fibre/starch, then you can have your 'food'. Till then. sad

Jokes away, Li-fi has been on Its testing phase since 2012 or so by a british Professor. I hope this is going to revolutionize the world and trigger governments around the world to provide electricity for their citizens.

Another invention we should watch out for is Wireless Electricity. wink

These are the best of times to be alive!

Frawzey

1 Like

Re: Li-fi Takes Over Wi-fi As New Way Of Internet Sharing Via Micro LED by destino24(m): 6:11pm On Jul 28, 2014
very cool. but am guessing the potential for signal attenuation will be quite high. That means the signal can only be transferred appreciably within a small distance. Cool Idea though. Nice speed
Re: Li-fi Takes Over Wi-fi As New Way Of Internet Sharing Via Micro LED by spikesC(m): 6:16pm On Jul 28, 2014
ayox2003:

Take a trip to Japan. There are vending machines that will do that for you. The Internet was made for multimedia. Only if can have your belly tweaked into convert media into fibre/starch, then you can have your 'food'. Till then. sad

Jokes away, Li-fi has been on Its testing phase since 2012 or so by a british Professor. I hope this is going to revolutionize the world and trigger governments around the world to provide electricity for their citizens.

Frawzey

Wireless electricity is already here, in the form of radio waves. search for wireless chargers
Re: Li-fi Takes Over Wi-fi As New Way Of Internet Sharing Via Micro LED by spikesC(m): 6:18pm On Jul 28, 2014
destino24: very cool. but am guessing the potential for signal attenuation will be quite high. That means the signal can only be transferred appreciably within a small distance. Cool Idea though. Nice speed

Naa, you forgot the speed of light and the pin point ability of laser.

Nasa has been sending data through light rays to space and planets
Re: Li-fi Takes Over Wi-fi As New Way Of Internet Sharing Via Micro LED by calddon(m): 6:20pm On Jul 28, 2014
ayox2003:

Frawzey
I feel u. I was just kidding n by the way Li-fi tech is something I have stumbled upon before while I was wild reading.
Re: Li-fi Takes Over Wi-fi As New Way Of Internet Sharing Via Micro LED by ayox2003: 6:21pm On Jul 28, 2014
spikesC:

Wireless electricity is already here, in the form of radio waves. search for wireless chargers

Lol. Wireless chargers are just subsets of the main invention. How do you like it when you have wireless transformers and no wired poles on the streets? smiley

Frawzey
Re: Li-fi Takes Over Wi-fi As New Way Of Internet Sharing Via Micro LED by ayox2003: 6:24pm On Jul 28, 2014
calddon:
I feel u. I was just kidding n by the way Li-fi tech is something I have stumbled upon before while I was wild reading.

I know Calddon. Was also joking. smiley

Frawzey
Re: Li-fi Takes Over Wi-fi As New Way Of Internet Sharing Via Micro LED by flowjoe: 6:45pm On Jul 28, 2014
Re: Li-fi Takes Over Wi-fi As New Way Of Internet Sharing Via Micro LED by romoruyi(m): 6:48pm On Jul 28, 2014
Wireless electricity means nepa go get problem oooo.....them no fit cut light again na.......na only antenna them fit carry run!!!! as for wireless transformer.....people no go gree put phone for ear again becos nepa go strike you die.... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

ayox2003:

Lol. Wireless chargers are just subsets of the main invention. How do you like it when you have wireless transformers and no wired poles on the streets? smiley

Frawzey
Re: Li-fi Takes Over Wi-fi As New Way Of Internet Sharing Via Micro LED by DaVinChiSam(m): 7:40pm On Jul 28, 2014
What Next? Sci Fi?
Re: Li-fi Takes Over Wi-fi As New Way Of Internet Sharing Via Micro LED by Warlord3000(m): 7:42pm On Jul 28, 2014
It is now official..

NIGERIA IS IN STONE AGE Ooooo
Re: Li-fi Takes Over Wi-fi As New Way Of Internet Sharing Via Micro LED by AbuMikey(m): 7:59pm On Jul 28, 2014
Well, last to Comment smiley
Re: Li-fi Takes Over Wi-fi As New Way Of Internet Sharing Via Micro LED by onegig(m): 8:06pm On Jul 28, 2014
Lol so much lies. How do you intend transferring much more than 10gb per second through led lights? Another hoax news.
Even physical connections are still struggling to achieve that feat let alone LED. Just google the meaning of led and that should show you it's virtually impossible.

(1) (2) (Reply)

TECH: How To Hack Wifi Password From Android Phones Without Rooting / 100k Budgeted To Buy Android Phone / Iphone 14 Series Auto Cad Design LEAKED: [photos]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.