Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,154 members, 7,818,495 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:18 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (117) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1352979 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mathefaro(m): 11:58am On Sep 15, 2016
thankyouJesus:
Good evening all, I love preparing ahead of time to achieve my dream, this always works for me.
I am David, a first class mathematics graduate of the University of Ibadan (this will not materalize until 2019 because I am in 100L presently) with aim of applying to either Havard or MIT for my doctorate degree in Mathematics. I am here to learn, know more about the processes, best time to sit for exam et al. I am happy to be here.
Boss! I don catch you. You no con yan me abi! Issokay, thank God I found out myself

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by gabbydoncum: 12:33pm On Sep 15, 2016
drhopeful:
sent

Thanks drhopeful.You are the best
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by cuspy(m): 2:03pm On Sep 15, 2016
Hello Guys,

Please is it out of place to send one's GRE scores to selected schools 'a year' prior to one's application?

Or you should send your scores only when you're ready to formally apply.

For instance, if my scores are sent early 2017 but I intend applying In 2018, it shouldn't be a problem right?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Lollyij(m): 3:25pm On Sep 15, 2016
Hey guys..anyone preparing for GRE based in Ile-ife
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 8:43pm On Sep 15, 2016
toluwee:
Drhopeful, please send toefl materials to onlinetolu@gmail.com
Thank you.
Done
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ChemEngr01: 10:31pm On Sep 15, 2016
Gurus, I read on here that Nova is the best material for quant. I'd like to know if anyone has a link to the recent release. The one I have is the 2008 edition, based on the old 0-800 score range. Thanks.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by toluwee: 10:41am On Sep 16, 2016
drhopeful:
Done
Thanks a billion
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ipledge01: 3:05pm On Sep 16, 2016
After 3 weeks of practice, did my first test and score Q148 V 142. I feel depressed embarassed embarassed embarassed

How were you guys able to have a high score.
Edakun Epp me. embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 4:20pm On Sep 16, 2016
Syvyd199:
Hello every one, how are you? smiley
Hi there!

I'm fine. I'd like to think so is everyone.

Thanks for asking!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 4:31pm On Sep 16, 2016
TJ0987:
Please, I want to ask.

Can i actually make high scores while studying on my own, or is it better to get a tutor?

I really need high scores, and i would appreciate assistance from people who have taken it. I want to know the short cuts, the rules, and how to avoid some silly mistakes.

Thanks guys,
Yes, it's possible to make high scores studying on your own, but the final decision, happily, lies with you.

I suggest you take the practice test first, and do a general review of your strengths and weaknesses across all sections. Try to mimic the test-day conditions , so you can get a fairly right estimate of your readiness level. Since, any tutor worth its weight would also strive to mark out your weak points, and coach you on those first. Before consolidating on your strengths. There really are no "tactics", per se. Which takes me to the second point.

If you really need high scores, then you'd need to do what needs to be done, especially on the GRE. Of course, there are faster ways of approaching questions, but you'll need to practice a whole lot to find those out.

One more thing, have you gone through the Official Guide?

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Topiipii(m): 4:41pm On Sep 16, 2016
cuspy:
Hello Guys,

Please is it out of place to send one's GRE scores to selected schools 'a year' prior to one's application?

For instance, if my scores are sent early 2017 but I intend applying In 2018, it shouldn't be a problem right?

Scores are kept for between 6 months and 1 year before they're discarded. You should check with the school you're applying to, they might just have it on their website. You can also contact the graduate student co-ordinator by email (this is the best option).

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 5:06pm On Sep 16, 2016
Lollyij:
Hello guys been following this thread for some time nw.. started preparing my GRE on August.. started with nova maths..along the line due to my weakness in quant someone recommended Manhattan lb for quant..which is Rilly helping...may God help us all with our GRE.. guys few tips will be appreciated for d doing well in d quant..
Manhattan is great material for the Quant. Tips on Quant?
- If you're racking your brain too much on a question, then you're probably doing it the wrong way. ETS wants to test your reasoning skills, not your Math knowledge.
- Never assume anything. If you were not told specifically, or you can't infer from the question, don't assume it. That an unknown is non-negative does not make it essentially positive, it might be 0!
- While practicing, see that you're able to revise your solution one extra time, especially in Data Interpretation. Work out your solutions, so you can be able to retrace for a second check. For some, you'd need to resolve the questions quickly in a different way. You might need to plug in the answer choices for others. For others, you'd need to check the steps you took the first time.
- Still on DI questions, in most cases, you'd need to test out a wide range of numbers; including +, -, large, small, and 0. This applies more in inequality questions
- For a normal Math student, the first solution that comes to mind is, more often than not, a longer path to solution. To conveniently answer 25 questions in 40 minutes, you'd need to be able to approach questions with short solutions logically-thought out, rather than long approaches.

I also reviewed the Manhattan solutions after solving questions on a topic. This helped, by way of giving me those crisp solutions.

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 5:08pm On Sep 16, 2016
cuspy:
Hello Guys,

Yes, most will dig it up.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 5:11pm On Sep 16, 2016
Happyday hi
Are you still in ife? Can I have your number?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 5:14pm On Sep 16, 2016
ipledge01:
After 3 weeks of practice, did my first test and score Q148 V 142. I feel depressed embarassed embarassed embarassed

How were you guys able to have a high score.
Edakun Epp me. embarassed embarassed embarassed
How did you practice in those 3 weeks (and with what texts), and what was your initial score? If this is your first time of taking the test, then jot down those topics that gave you a hard time in Quant, and go learn them the 'GRE' way.

Depressed? Don't be! That's why it's called practice. Practice isn't the thing you do once you're good. Rather, it's the thing you do that makes you good.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by haftob(m): 5:42pm On Sep 16, 2016
First time posting on this thread, I have a little question;
I need the names of the best books to prepare for the GRE for the 3 sections.
Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TJ0987(f): 6:51pm On Sep 16, 2016
Thanks happyday

Most grateful for your prompt response.

I don't even know where to start from, because I have a fear for mathematics.

While studying, I discovered the questions are not difficult, only tricky and confusing, which is what makes it frustrating for me, after I have discovered my mistakes.

God help me.

A quick question please. Which material is best to start with for the quantitative section, I mean the one which simplifies its explanations the most?

happyday:

Yes, it's possible to make high scores studying on your own, but the final decision, happily, lies with you.

I suggest you take the practice test first, and do a general review of your strengths and weaknesses across all sections. Try to mimic the test-day conditions , so you can get a fairly right estimate of your readiness level. Since, any tutor worth its weight would also strive to mark out your weak points, and coach you on those first. Before consolidating on your strengths. There really are no "tactics", per se. Which takes me to the second point.

If you really need high scores, then you'd need to do what needs to be done, especially on the GRE. Of course, there are faster ways of approaching questions, but you'll need to practice a whole lot to find those out.

One more thing, have you gone through the Official Guide?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Lollyij(m): 7:12pm On Sep 16, 2016
happyday:

Manhattan is great material for the Quant. Tips on Quant?
- If you're racking your brain too much on a question, then you're probably doing it the wrong way. ETS wants to test your reasoning skills, not your Math knowledge.
- Never assume anything. If you were not told specifically, or you can't infer from the question, don't assume it. That an unknown is non-negative does not make it essentially positive, it might be 0!
- While practicing, see that you're able to revise your solution one extra time, especially in Data Interpretation. Work out your solutions, so you can be able to retrace for a second check. For some, you'd need to resolve the questions quickly in a different way. You might need to plug in the answer choices for others. For others, you'd need to check the steps you took the first time.
- Still on DI questions, in most cases, you'd need to test out a wide range of numbers; including +, -, large, small, and 0. This applies more in inequality questions
- For a normal Math student, the first solution that comes to mind is, more often than not, a longer path to solution. To conveniently answer 25 questions in 40 minutes, you'd need to be able to approach questions with short solutions logically-thought out, rather than long approaches.

I also reviewed the Manhattan solutions after solving questions on a topic. This helped, by way of giving me those crisp solutions.

Thank you happy day for the reply... with what u said I knw still need more time to put in my study... and I will try those tips.. by taking D official guide practice test first to observe my improvement along d line.. God bless u..

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Lollyij(m): 7:15pm On Sep 16, 2016
TJ0987:
Thanks happyday

Most grateful for your prompt response.

I don't even know where to start from, because I have a fear for mathematics.

While studying, I discovered the questions are not difficult, only tricky and confusing, which is what makes it frustrating for me, after I have discovered my mistakes.

God help me.

A quick question please. Which material is best to start with for the quantitative section, I mean the one which simplifies its explanations the most?

for me I will say Manhattan lb... though d material takes a lot of time... but if u follow through carefully.. u will surely get it....

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 7:34pm On Sep 16, 2016
Lollyij:

Thank you happy day for the reply... with what u said I knw still need more time to put in my study... and I will try those tips.. by taking D official guide practice test first to observe my improvement along d line.. God bless u..
Amen sir!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 7:35pm On Sep 16, 2016
Lollyij:

for me I will say Manhattan lb... though d material takes a lot of time... but if u follow through carefully.. u will surely get it....
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 7:37pm On Sep 16, 2016
haftob:
First time posting on this thread, I have a little question;
I need the names of the best books to prepare for the GRE for the 3 sections.
Thanks
For a start, you need the Official Guide to the GRE. To get a feel of what's being tested across sections.

Your confidence level afterwards will then help you choose materials suitable for you.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 1:47am On Sep 17, 2016
My own problems now is the VERBAL

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by stadora(f): 6:10am On Sep 17, 2016
happyday:

For a start, you need the Official Guide to the GRE. To get a feel of what's being tested across sections.

Your confidence level afterwards will then help you choose materials suitable for you.

Pls how can 1 can get the official guide, any link?
pls don't mind my novice, gues we re al here to learn.
wots d essence of this GRE and wots it used for?
thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by cuspy(m): 2:18pm On Sep 17, 2016
Topiipii:

Scores are kept for between 6 months and 1 year before they're discarded. You should check with the school you're applying to, they might just have it on their website. You can also contact the graduate student co-ordinator by email (this is the best option).

Topiipii, Happyday and others that provide answers, thank you guys so much.

God bless you guys for us. smiley

Emmmm....

Another help again pls grin

I intend to run a postgraduate study in Economics and to be honest, I have just one school in mind, Binghamton University (a safenet school). I need a cursory suggestion of schools from you guys pls.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jlakesideo(f): 3:45pm On Sep 17, 2016
I have a Skype interview with the Prof I wanna work with on Monday,. please what should I be expecting.. Someone should please help ..
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by GREcoach: 5:35pm On Sep 17, 2016
[quote author=TJ0987 post=49379563]GRE Coach,

Kindly assist. I would love to take the test in 2 months time. However, i would appreciate your guidance, especially in quantitative. I am not very gifted in maths. Thank you.

@ TJ0987: Do get across to me at grecoach@outlook.com. For exclusive materials, shortcuts in quantitative analysis as well as other cues that could really help you as you prepare for your exam. I sincerely wish you all my sincere best.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by cuspy(m): 5:56pm On Sep 17, 2016
helenmi:
My own problems now is the VERBAL

Verbal is a serious something for most of us o grin

However, it is not insurmountable.

In addition to the Official Guide, I strongly recommend Priceton Review (either the Verbal section of the main book or the Verbal workout booklet, or both).

Going through the book has increased my confidence as well as performance on verbal section; the book teaches you to indentify and cross out wrong answers first before identifying the right one - a strategy which works out well for me.

If you've got limited time, go through the verbal section of the main book only, it's less verbose.

P.S: Biko don't read Manhattan for TC and SE questions - you might give up on verbal like I almost did. Manhattan is best for RC questions and Quant only (my opinion).

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 6:38pm On Sep 17, 2016
cuspy:

Verbal is a serious something for most of us o grin

However, it is not insurmountable.

In addition to the Official Guide, I strongly recommend Priceton Review (either the Verbal section of the main book or the Verbal workout booklet, or both).

Going through the book has increased my confidence as well as performance on verbal section; the book teaches you to indentify and cross out wrong answers first before identifying the right one - a strategy which works out well for me.

If you've got limited time, go through the verbal section of the main book only, it's less verbose.

P.S: Biko don't read Manhattan for TC and SE questions - you might give up on verbal like I almost did. Manhattan is best for RC questions and Quant only (my opinion).
On the contrary, it's Manhattan that worked well for me on both TCs and SEs.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by temi4fash(m): 7:21pm On Sep 17, 2016
Exam is on Thursday

And VERBAL is still looking not good

What do I do now?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ipledge01: 7:29pm On Sep 17, 2016
The verbal section is really something else to most of us grin cheesy embarassed

I'm spending more time with verbal now than quant

We will surely conquer wink

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by cuspy(m): 7:43pm On Sep 17, 2016
drhopeful:
On the contrary, it's Manhattan that worked well for me on both TCs and SEs.

Good to know smiley

I feel the level of vocab of the TC and SE questions (on Manhattan) is just too high for beginners.

Princeton Review is just like verbal made easy to me. grin

Would try to get back at Manhattan when I'm stronger.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.