Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,628 members, 7,813,079 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:32 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (177) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1349820 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (174) (175) (176) (177) (178) (179) (180) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DSSHQ: 8:36pm On Jan 26, 2017
Thanks
Scholastica16:

B.Y MAFIT. Look them up.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by abmendozer(m): 8:49pm On Jan 26, 2017
Hello guys, please I'm based in lagos and I need to register for GRE exam. Con anyone suggest a good place to register? Thanks y'all
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Topiipii(m): 8:59pm On Jan 26, 2017
Scholastica16:

I did for K-state but not for Utah. PhD too?

If you don't get both let me know why!

MS, I no get liver grin

Scholastica16:

I was just thinking about something as I got home today: Did I really need to send all my official documents until the admission decision was out? Musing on it, maybe I didn't.

What I am trying to say is, don't you think just uploading transcript, GRE and IELTS would have sufficed till the admission decision was out? Then if you consider going to the school you only pay for the official copy to be sent to the school.

Most of them will require you to send official test scores no matter what, some will even insist on official transcript and will not process your application until you provide it; some of them might allow soft copies though after you mail them. I saw about two or three schools that allow soft copies of test scores during my search, UWyoming is the only school that accepts soft copies of all documents as at the last check.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 9:05pm On Jan 26, 2017
Topiipii:

MS, I no get liver grin

LOL. Funding is all I could think of. If e tire me I go abscond after the MS Larry Page style. wink

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 9:12pm On Jan 26, 2017
Topiipii:

Most of them will require you to send official test scores no matter what, some will even insist on official transcript and will not process your application until you provide it; some of them might allow soft copies though after you mail them. I saw about two or three schools that allow soft copies of test scores during my search, UWyoming is the only school that accepts soft copies of all documents though.

Mississippi State Uni wanted official documents of everything but I sent them an email asking for concession to use notarized copies and they accepted. You are right though, that some will not evaluate the application without the official documents sent. I am even happy you said this because I was starting to feel bad that I spent all that money sending the documents, for what I thought was nothing.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by towbaynah(m): 9:15pm On Jan 26, 2017
I am writing this as a way of letting off my chest, the truck load of anxiety that grows with waiting for acceptance or rejection letters from schools.

I've spotted somebody who applied to KSU. I'm calmer than I was before. I applied to five schools;

Oxford University (If they send an acceptance letter, I'll probably run mad for one week, then accept the offer the following week)

Brandeis University (Hopeful)

University of Tennessee (Not sure)

Georgia State University (Highly Optimistic)

Did anybody else apply to any of those?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Topiipii(m): 9:20pm On Jan 26, 2017
Scholastica16:

Mississippi State Uni wanted official documents of everything but I sent them an email asking for concession to use notarized copies and they accepted. You are right though, that some will not evaluate the application without the official documents sent. I am even happy you said this because I was starting to feel bad that I spent all that money sending the documents, for what I thought was nothing.
How much did you pay to have your documents notarized and where? I wanted to do this last month, but later decided to forgo the idea.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jan 26, 2017
Thank you for the kind words. Good to hear from you again.
Hopefully Fall applicants get the best offers.
DanjaNinja:

Yes, indeed there is a facebook group and at that time, we thought adding members to that facebook group was a good idea. In retrospect, that was a wrong move. A very wrong move.

Why? Firstly, the facebook group is a private group. All information posted on that group is private and cannot be found through a search engine like google. Incase you dont know, valuable information that cannot be easily found, is useless information.

Secondly, it violates one of the core principles behind the creation of this platform which is to provide a community where people can help one another with useful information on passing the GRE and subsequently getting admitted to the university of one's choice. You may have not noticed but at the time we did GRE group additions, there were barely any meaningful contributions on this thread. Instead, 90% of the posts were based on requests for addition to the GRE group. Suffice to say, this thread became a transit/connecting station for Gre group travellers. They come in, request to be added, get added and never return to make any meaningful contribution. One outcome was inevitable - the eventual death of this thread. For the sake of preserving this beautiful community of humble,selfless,volunteers helping each other succeed and thrive, we did the needful and shut down all gre facebook additions. The recent string of high quality meaningful post on this thread is a testament to that decision. In Olamide's voice "Every post on the thread was a hit back to back".

Moving on, I know i have been absent from this thread but from the bottom of my heart, i thank all those who have kept this thread alive. Sirriddy, i sincerely thank you for selflessly leading this thread even as you do your PhD. Studying in the US is a tough experience. Only those who currently live and study in america would understand what you go through to make contributions on this thread. To do three heavy courses with mountain loads of weekly assignments, work 20 hours a week as a Graduate assistant, cook, hustle babe and yet still find time to come on nairaland to make contributions is truly laudable of you.

To all those who have made truly mind blowing contributions - drHopeful, time2smile, believerspraise, Scholastica16, Bolisticbond026, andradaeze to name a few, i say thank you. Keep doing what you do. God has a wonderful way of blessing those who give. And biko, abeg no vex If your name was not mentioned, please keep up the good work because all those who have benefited from your contributions greatly appreciate you as well.

Oh before i forget, did you know its been almost three years since this thread was created? Its funny how it grew into this beautiful community. When i made the first post, i had one goal in my mind "build a place where like minded individuals can help each other pass the GRE by sharing useful information". Right now its 178 pages and 187,500 views strong. Even though ranking was never the intent, if you do a google search on how to get high scores on the gre, this thread is number 6 on the list. This would not have been possible without every single person who has made a contribution. You all made this happen. It goes to show the what can be accomplished when people come together to support and help one another grow.

On a side note, to all those complaining about reading from the first page of the thread, i see and hear you. You think the GRE is tough? lol. Wait till you get to america. You haven't seen anything yet. If you cant even read 178 pages of useful information that would help you achieve your dreams, how can you even survive? It begs the question - "what are your priorities in life?" America is a beautiful tough place. You have to be really strong to survive here.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Perotti: 10:29pm On Jan 26, 2017
Please guys, has anyone here applied to the University of Texas @Dallas? Are Texas schools generous with funding?
The way men here apply to 5,6 schools here is frightening, considering the costs and the crazy exchange rates. Kudos tho! May God provide for us.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 10:33pm On Jan 26, 2017
Topiipii:

How much did you pay to have your documents notarized and where? I wanted to do this last month, but later decided to forgo the idea.

Igbosere in Lagos. N200 per page but it is all about bargaining. There are alot of Notary Publics there so it helped. I am saying this because some guy in VI wanted to charge me 5k for 2 documents and I thought he was doing me a favor till someone recommended Igbosere to me
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 10:41pm On Jan 26, 2017
Perotti:
Please guys, has anyone here applied to the University of Texas @Dallas? Are Texas schools generous with funding?
The way men here apply to 5,6 schools here is frightening, considering the costs and the crazy exchange rates. Kudos tho! May God provide for us.

Depends on the course. For instance, some Economic Grads for PhD get fully funded offers while some don't.

LOL @ 5,6 Schools.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kaydp: 3:29am On Jan 27, 2017
andradaeze:

I am not so sure about applying to schools in the US with the IELTS. My suggestion is to check with the department or the schools on their English Language requirement. However, I have read from this thread that some schools in the US are rejecting the IELTS. So the sooner you find out from your schools, the better you will be informed.

All the best.
Thank you.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 3:47am On Jan 27, 2017
Scholastica16:

There would always be outliers with certain aspects of their applications that only the admission committee will know for example, having a very strong financial statement or undergoing the first degree over there. The point I was making to him is, the school is too notorious for not accepting international students. Some Indians with stellar GREs, 4.0GPAs and 2 years of cognate research experience were still reporting rejections on grad cafe. In such situations, I always advice people to steer clear. UCB to me, has just about the same reputation.
That's very true sir. But some people die trying tho. The person that got admitted had a 311 gre.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by alexandersherif: 5:26am On Jan 27, 2017
Hello house.....how can I go about scoring high in my GRE....I just got the material..... Thanks in anticipation...exam schedule till April
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by OluDare01(m): 5:36am On Jan 27, 2017
towbaynah:
I am writing this as a way of letting off my chest, the truck load of anxiety that grows with waiting for acceptance or rejection letters from schools.

I've spotted somebody who applied to KSU. I'm calmer than I was before. I applied to five schools;

Oxford University (If they send an acceptance letter, I'll probably run mad for one week, then accept the offer the following week)

Brandeis University (Hopeful)

University of Tennessee (Not sure)

Georgia State University (Highly Optimistic)

Did anybody else apply to any of those?
University of Tennessee Nashville or Chattanooga?

I don't wanna discourage you but
Brandeis University is a long shot.
Their tuition is high though they'd give you scholarship,you'd still have to cough some dough.
GSU is a good school and you should get in hopefully.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by abmendozer(m): 9:16am On Jan 27, 2017
Hello guys...I plan to write my GRE exam in April. I need someone who needs a study partner. I'm based in Lagos. If you are interested please holla.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 9:23am On Jan 27, 2017
Cephas0009:
Evening friends... I understand the primary purpose of this group is to provide necessary information that will help members ace the GRE and we av done well in this regards. However, the main goal is to secure admission (with funding) . Please I suggest we discuss our admission applications, efforts we av made in reaching out to faculties n possibly the status of ouuur application if any yet. I believe we can learn one or two things from each other's experience so far. I also understand individuals can want to be discreet with their applications until fruition, it's fine.

I applied to UofH n KSU for fall 2017. I completed both applications last year. I had admission for MS Mech Engr Fall 2016 in SDSM&T and SIT last year but I didn't pursue further since neither came with funding option, I deferred SDSM&T to fall 2017 n m still hopeful of securing the service of a faculty for a potential GA. The few times I have gotten replies to my email is when they want to explain that they r not taking new research students.

How is it going from ur end Sirs & Mas?
Cc: Scholastica16, drhopeful, Time2smile, the whole house.

SirRiddy, thanks 4 d support always ... God bless bro

I agree with you on discussing the state of our applications. I am quite miffed right now because I have not submitted any of my applications. I am yet to get my undergraduate transcript that I requested almost 2 months ago. I have put so much into this and I won't let any sloppy school be my obstacle. I have mailed grad coordinator at UH to inform her about the delay and inquire if I can submit the transcript after the application deadline. The other deadline at LSU health centre is March 1, although I want to submit much earlier than the deadline.

@Scholastica16 , Yes, I am applying to only 2 US schools, I didn't start my application process early enough so I wasn't able to meet most deadlines coupled with the cost of applying to different schools. I am cautiously optimistic of getting in to the two schools if only I can be able to submit this damn application. In addition, both guarantee funding for all admitted PhD students in my course. (I Would never apply to a school that's equivocal about funding)

N.B: I would really appreciate anyone willing to help me go through and critique my SOP before I submit. Thanks.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Tunmise100(m): 9:27am On Jan 27, 2017
abmendozer:
Hello guys...I plan to write my GRE exam in April. I need someone who needs a study partner. I'm based in Lagos. If you are interested please holla.

WE ALREADY HAVE A GROUP OF FOUR PREPARING FOR THE GRE. U CAN JOIN US. CALL:08169726670
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by towbaynah(m): 9:41am On Jan 27, 2017
OluDare01:

University of Tennessee Nashville or Chattanooga?

I don't wanna discourage you but
Brandeis University is a long shot.
Their tuition is high though they'd give you scholarship,you'd still have to cough some dough.
GSU is a good school and you should get in hopefully.

University of Tennessee, Knoxville.

I'm applying for PhD. All the schools I applied to assured me (according to the info on their websites), that all their PhD students are fully funded. That is, 100% tuition waiver and a monthly stipend. I'm holding fast to that information. Nevertheless, I'll send an email to Brandeis to confirm what you've just pointed out. Thanks, buddie.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by towbaynah(m): 9:46am On Jan 27, 2017
Time2Smile:

I agree with you on discussing the state of our applications. I am quite miffed right now because I have not submitted any of my applications. I am yet to get my undergraduate transcript that I requested almost 2 months ago. I have put so much into this and I won't let any sloppy school be my obstacle. I have mailed grad coordinator at UH to inform her about the delay and inquire if I can submit the transcript after the application deadline. The other deadline at LSU health centre is March 1, although I want to submit much earlier than the deadline.

@Scholastica16 , Yes, I am applying to only 2 US schools, I didn't start my application process early enough so I wasn't able to meet most deadlines coupled with the cost of applying to different schools. I am cautiously optimistic of getting in to the two schools if only I can be able to submit this damn application. In addition, both guarantee funding for all admitted PhD students in my course. (I Would never apply to a school that's equivocal about funding)

N.B: I would really appreciate anyone willing to help me go through and critique my SOP before I submit. Thanks.

I'd gladly give my two cents on your SOP. You could send an email to crablesome@gmail.com
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 10:15am On Jan 27, 2017
tuffpuff:
Good morning Friends,
I checked my email this morning and was greeted with a rejection from Emory University.
I scored more than the minimum TOEFL and GRE requirements.
I'm wondering if its my 3.5 AWA score or SOP or LORs.
To be candid, I didn't choose schools wisely, never considered that it was a private school with acceptance rate of about 25%. I saw all these after my applications. Unfortunately, of the remaining two schools, one is also private. Looks like am missing Fall'17 already.
Wish I was on this great thread even prior to taking my tests and subsequently making my applications. Its hurting!
I'll ever remain thankful to all members of the thread. I've learnt a lot from you all. I shall keep the house abreast of the rest.
#GodBeWithYou#
No, no, no, no I don't agree with the bolded. You have to do away with that mindset, where is your faith and resolve? Why did you apply to 3 schools,is it not to spread the risk? You got a reject which means you still have 2 schools which would probably give you admission. Please you have to be a lot more positive and optimistic. I read your test transcript and you seem to hint that some forces are against you. I am a firm believer in the power of positive thinking. Let me put it this way "You would meet God where you put him" . If you believe you would get admission after putting in the necessary work, then you would, but if your attitude is defeatist, then ..........................

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by abmendozer(m): 11:40am On Jan 27, 2017
Tunmise100:

WE ALREADY HAVE A GROUP OF FOUR PREPARING FOR THE GRE. U CAN JOIN US. CALL:08169726670
Thanks bro
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 11:51am On Jan 27, 2017
Thank you, just calculated and it's a 2.91/4 scale
Topiipii:

You can use the link below to have a close estimate if you have a copy of your transcript with you.

http://www.wes.org/students/igpacalc.asp
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Tunjasko(m): 11:54am On Jan 27, 2017
alexandersherif:
Hello house.....how can I go about scoring high in my GRE....I just got the material..... Thanks in anticipation...exam schedule till April

pls hw nd wie can i d materials.... i need dem for preparation
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mechango: 12:07pm On Jan 27, 2017
abmendozer:

let's connect, am writing in March
arogundadesodiq9@gmail.com
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by OluDare01(m): 1:08pm On Jan 27, 2017
towbaynah:

University of Tennessee, Knoxville.

I'm applying for PhD. All the schools I applied to assured me (according to the info on their websites), that all their PhD students are fully funded. That is, 100% tuition waiver and a monthly stipend. I'm holding fast to that information. Nevertheless, I'll send an email to Brandeis to confirm what you've just pointed out. Thanks, buddie.
Oh my bad,UTK is a well funded school.
Wish you all the best

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Cephas0009: 1:35pm On Jan 27, 2017
Time2Smile:

@ d bolded, naiija schools sha angry. u can proceed with application with an unofficial transcript if youu have one, @least m sure ksu n uh accepts student's copy for admission processing. Infact uh grad school has evaluated my transcript already.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 1:56pm On Jan 27, 2017
Time2Smile:

If you have an unofficial copy use it. Most schools are flexible about the transcripts because international students have complained about it a lot. In fact, I have been using the unofficial version of my transcript for all schools that I have applied to and will only pay for an official copy to be sent if/when I am admitted.

Your schools are great schools and you would most likely get it as you are a strong Applicant. Only late applications may affect you.

Take note that UofH does not do rolling admissions so they take all the applications together and review them at a certain time. Thus, you do not need to panic. If you live in the same state as your alma mater I'd recommend you went there yourself or else they would waste your time.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 1:57pm On Jan 27, 2017
Tunjasko:

pls hw nd wie can i d materials.... i need dem for preparation

First page.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 2:00pm On Jan 27, 2017
Aig84:
Thank you, just calculated and it's a 2.91/4 scale

That's a rough estimate. I wager it could be higher if the real evaluation is done but that will only be necessary if your schools asks for it as WES evaluations are on the high side cost wise ($212).

I have noticed that 3.0/5 in Nigerian schools usually still comes close to or is above 3.0/4 and besides, the schools you apply to may only take note of your final 2 years (as that is when the core courses were done). So fret not.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 2:03pm On Jan 27, 2017
ponpon:
That's very true sir. But some people die trying tho. The person that got admitted had a 311 gre.

Wow, we need your resource here to be encouraging people. Tuffpuff has a great profile and his GRE is a mark away from the score above. I personally think some rejections are inexplicable. I Have seen schools where profiles having 169-Q scores were rejected whilst one with 151-Q was accepted for the same program.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kannyt01(m): 3:20pm On Jan 27, 2017
abmendozer:

I intend writting in april or there about......
Check and balance of work and GRE study no b beans oo
i reside in lagos too, Gbagda precisely.

(1) (2) (3) ... (174) (175) (176) (177) (178) (179) (180) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.