Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,259 members, 7,815,404 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:53 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (225) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1350827 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (222) (223) (224) (225) (226) (227) (228) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:35am On Apr 10, 2017
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:43am On Apr 10, 2017
Great!! Same here, looking to write much later this year. Have a professional exam I'm currently preparing for, however, I'm looking at business schools in Canada.
miella:

Yes. I will be writing GRE now and not GMAT.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:48am On Apr 10, 2017
Congrats to you @drhopeful and thank you to the likes of @Time2smile @SirRiddy @happyday @Scholastica etc. God bless you all for the info you dish out on this thread.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tuffpuff: 10:52am On Apr 10, 2017
drhopeful:
I might sound crazy but after 2 sleepless nights of thorough contemplation, I think I will have to resign the Penn State appointment. Yes, I have spent about 300k to send transcripts, ship I-20 and paid reservation on an apartment lease but it's really about what I want out of the PhD program. The stipend Virginia is offering is actually a little less than Penn but it's a GRA that is guaranteed till I finish my program so long as I maintain 3.0GPA, and the research fellowship covers all tuition fees and health insurance. On top of that, my POI guarantees funding for travel for conferences, and pushes his students to deliver poster presentations and publish papers every year. He seems to invest a lot of time in his students and I really like that. And in that department, there are 3 other Profs in the same research area. That encourages sharing of information and the students can always assist and encourage each other.

On the Other hand, Penn State offers a GTA for the first year and you are supposed to explore research areas within your first year and hopefully match a Prof that can offer you GRA. If that fails, then you are stuck with GTA till you find GRA or maybe till the end of your program. In my case, there is only 1 Prof in my research area. So the big question is ...what if she does not have funding? And I remember her telling me last 2 years when I was just exploring that she had no funding and that if I were to apply and be accepted, my only hope would be the departmental GTA which is what is happening now. I tried to contact her again during this application process but she never responded. So I don't know if situations have changed.

My main objective of studying for a PhD is build research skills and I want to start developing that from day 1. That will even facilitate an early completion of the program. I don't want to be stuck 'building communication skills' and at the end of the first year, I can't even set up a simple experiment grin and no headway on how to start my research. The other good thing about Virginia is that in my 3rd/4th year, I will be required to serve partly as a TA to build communication skills. That way, it's like getting the best of both worlds.

Whilst Carnegie Mellon rejected me, I was never going to go there because they are not strong in my research area. In fact, they don't even offer it. I know I might sound silly but I just wanted to test it because Nastydamus was going to apply there and he had my same GRE scores, LOL. The last school is UPitt, no news from that end at all and frankly, I can't be bothered.

No, I am not waiting for Ohio. I spent my money and time to apply and I want to know what they eventually decide. It's also a fully funded program through strictly GRAs.

In the end, Penn State is higher ranked than UVA but I don't think the difference is so significant. I don't want to join a program that I am not really happy with just because of a 'little bit more name' grin. And I really hope that I am making the right decision. It's the immensity of my contribution to knowledge that will give me Green Card wink (if Trump go gree) and a rewarding career in research.

Sorry for my long speech this hot Sunday afternoon!

Drhopeful: I'd begin by saying a mighty congratulations to you on your offers, especially the one from UVA. As I read your post stating the offer from UVA, I was like...'haaaa Drhopeful must jump at this'! But going down and discovering you had obtained I-20 and processed SEVIS payment with respect to Pennstate, I couldn't but exclaim 'Oh no'!!...lol.
I frankly respect your decision. PhD is research intensive. I feel there's nothing as juicy as having an opportunity to travel for conferences and make presentations in the course of doing a PhD. Not only will it enhance building of research skills, it helps build a professional network as well. Infact I've been thinking, when I eventually get a GTA and I develop a good rapport with a Professor in my field, I wouldn't mind switching to an GRA. I feel it gives a student enough time to concentrate on research rather than doing a research and teaching, grading, etc simultaneously.
Moreso, your professor could recommend you to research institutes to do some research work, some of which could eventually pave way for job opportunities in the future. When you amass these skills and become highly productive in the research industry, God can make Trump himself hand you a green card... grin
Thumps up (both hands and legs thumps!.. grin) to you for your decision. You'll recover all you spent processing PennState in manifolds. May God give you more excellence spirit as you lunch out. By the way, please change your moniker to Profhopeful as I envisage that in the nearest future.. cheesy

PS: Abeg make una no mind my cut & join grammer o....if to say na maths now, the formula for connect the variables logically and coherently.. grin

7 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:54am On Apr 10, 2017
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 12:40pm On Apr 10, 2017
Ok, will PM you now
miella:

Wow!!! I've been longing to meet someone that will be applying to a business school. Please, if your school accepts either GMAT or GRE , I will advice you to kindly go for GRE. I'm looking at Canada/USA too (I got an offer from Canny for fall 2017 but I will defer my admission).
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 2:50pm On Apr 10, 2017
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 10:08pm On Apr 10, 2017
tuffpuff:

Drhopeful: I'd begin by saying a mighty congratulations to you on your offers, especially the one from UVA. As I read your post stating the offer from UVA, I was like...'haaaa Drhopeful must jump at this'! But going down and discovering you had obtained I-20 and processed SEVIS payment with respect to Pennstate, I couldn't but exclaim 'Oh no'!!...lol.
I frankly respect your decision. PhD is research intensive. I feel there's nothing as juicy as having an opportunity to travel for conferences and make presentations in the course of doing a PhD. Not only will it enhance building of research skills, it helps build a professional network as well. Infact I've been thinking, when I eventually get a GTA and I develop a good rapport with a Professor in my field, I wouldn't mind switching to an GRA. I feel it gives a student enough time to concentrate on research rather than doing a research and teaching, grading, etc simultaneously.
Moreso, your professor could recommend you to research institutes to do some research work, some of which could eventually pave way for job opportunities in the future. When you amass these skills and become highly productive in the research industry, God can make Trump himself hand you a green card... grin
Thumps up (both hands and legs thumps!.. grin) to you for your decision. You'll recover all you spent processing PennState in manifolds. May God give you more excellence spirit as you lunch out. By the way, please change your moniker to Profhopeful as I envisage that in the nearest future.. cheesy

PS: Abeg make una no mind my cut & join grammer o....if to say na maths now, the formula for connect the variables logically and coherently.. grin
Thanks tuffpuff! I have rescinded my acceptance. No hard feelings. They wished me well in my endeavors.
Cc Time2smile grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by layez: 10:41pm On Apr 10, 2017
drhopeful:
Thanks tuffpuff! I have rescinded my acceptance. No hard feelings. They wished me well in my endeavors.
Cc Time2smile grin
Congrats drhopeful, you have always been a source of inspiration, oya start packing for Trumpland grin
drhopeful:
Cc Time2smile
Congrats drhopeful, you have always been a source of inspiration, oya start packing for Trumpland grin

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aanexplus(m): 10:56pm On Apr 10, 2017
Guys. How you doing. Dr hope bug thumb. Actually, a Dr. Requested for sample codes and sop from me(usa). Is it important I include videos? Thank you
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 2:31am On Apr 11, 2017
aanexplus:
Guys. How you doing. Dr hope bug thumb. Actually, a Dr. Requested for sample codes and sop from me(usa). Is it important I include videos? Thank you
Sample codes for what?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 5:15am On Apr 11, 2017
OluDare01:
There's this lady that graduated from my dept last fall.
She got admitted for PhD at Georgia tech,Duke and UTK. She told me she's accepting UTK cos in those big schools, your supervisor might be too busy to have time for you.
I think grad school should be more about your relationship with your advisor. Personally,I am learning a lot of research skills right now, designing and testing experiments. I think that's what one needs to survive a PhD program.
If you ask me, that's a very wrong move and falacy of generalization. Those first 2 schools are highly regarded schools even though UTK isn't bad. Saying they wont have time for her is not entirely through. If you show passion and drive, your supervisor will surely be interested in you. And again for some people the school doesn't really matter, what matters is what you gain/get out of the program
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aanexplus(m): 7:41am On Apr 11, 2017
happyday:

Sample codes for what?

My programming sample codes. Like applications I have developed over time. He requested for some of them
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 9:38am On Apr 11, 2017
aanexplus:

My programming sample codes. Like applications I have developed over time. He requested for some of them

Oh then, that's normal. Apparently, you'd need to do some coding in his lab.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aanexplus(m): 4:37pm On Apr 11, 2017
happyday:

Oh then, that's normal. Apparently, you'd need to do some coding in his lab.

sure. he's working on robotics
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by reDazey(f): 6:27pm On Apr 11, 2017
Update
Ohio State- kind rejection letter.

Oh well, it was a reach school(TAMU included). I would have fainted if I had gotten the admit. cheesy

I am waiting for decisions from the other schools.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 7:34pm On Apr 11, 2017
drhopeful:
Thanks Scholastica16. I am so flattered. Working in ExxonMobil or being Akpabio's minion has no role to play when someone is passionate about school (at least for me). For e.g. During NYSC, I spent all my meager corper money applying to schools for MSc (IPS, UK, US) which included registration for GRE and TOEFL and subscribing to expensive internet service at the time. I never had enough left to eat sef. In the end, I had IPS and two international offers of admission. I had to start hustling for scholarship. IPS was funded but we still had to pay 100k for registration/acceptance. I hustled and paid by the deadline given and guess what, the next day I got scholarship to go to U.K. Omo, I forgot about the 100k I dashed IPS, packed my bags and chased the plane to the UK. For me, it's always about the end game! BTW, I am from a poor very low class family.

American PhD will earn me much more than N300k grin grin grin

Oh! And I know that moniker that starts with capital 't'. It ends with small 's'. grin grin

I read this back to front and front to back like 10 times. I am deeply touched by your story. Yours just typifies the statement that true and lasting wealth is of the mind. So forget low class or poor, you are loaded Dr. and we have a lot to learn from you. All the best in your, what-is-sure-to-be success-laden journey into proper research in Virginia.

I have some experience with IPS myself but it is a negative one. So I took the entrance test, passed it and got invited for the panel interview. After having answered their barrage of questions for what felt like the whole day, many people were convinced I would definitely be taken.

They were wrong. I didn't even make the reserve list. Pained me for like 1 full day but I moved on.

@the moniker, yea you sure do know him. They have attacked him alot so he is always hyper-defensive or even paranoid but I learn alot from him.

Edit: so Petroleum engineering, how and why did you transition to materials engineering?

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 7:37pm On Apr 11, 2017
reDazey:
Update

Oh well, it was a reach school(TAMU included). I would have fainted if I had gotten the admit. cheesy

My dear, faith is still the victory that overcomes the world.

*if I am sounding over-spiritual these days it is because plenty rejections will make you remember your God*

You'd look back at this day and laugh. It will go well. E no get option.

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mfarad(m): 8:42pm On Apr 11, 2017
Scholastica16:

I read this back to front and front to back like 10 times. I am deeply touched by your story. Yours just typifies the statement that true and lasting wealth is of the mind. So forget low class or poor, you are loaded Dr. and we have a lot to learn from you. All the best in your, what-is-sure-to-be success-laden journey into proper research in Virginia.

I have some experience with IPS myself but it is a negative one. So I took the entrance test, passed it and got invited for the panel interview. After having answered their barrage of questions for what felt like the whole day, many people were convinced I would definitely be taken.

They were wrong. I didn't even make the reserve list. Pained me for like 1 full day but I moved on.

@the moniker, yea you sure do know him. They have attacked him alot so he is always hyper-defensive or even paranoid but I learn alot from him.

Edit: so Petroleum engineering, how and why did you transition to materials engineering?

@Scholastica16. Thanks for the insightful comments and probing questions.
@bolded, same question I've been meaning to ask.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mfarad(m): 8:45pm On Apr 11, 2017
reDazey:
Update

Sorry about that. All the best in the others. BTW, is this andradeaze?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 9:07pm On Apr 11, 2017
Scholastica16:

Thanks Scholastica16. So sorry about IPS. @the moniker, I get where he comes from, albeit, too acerbic. There is another one that is now missing in action - four letter moniker that starts with small 'b' grin. @ the field transition, I applied for MS Pet, them say them no dey offer am again but would not let me go. So I was offered Mat, and I decided to try it out, oblivious of the fact that it was a blessing in disguise. Mat is a very boring and tough subject but somehow I fell in love with it.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 9:28pm On Apr 11, 2017
Update -

Still 3 admits so far.

on Lsu, I just heard yesterday that my last recommendation letter wasn't turned in by the Prof. and so my application has not being reviewed, I assumed all was well since the other 2 recommendations got in by 1st week of January.

I felt my online app just didn't update that final rec, unfortunately Lsu didn't inform me rec letter was missing.

Learning point - Never make any assumptions, it usually ends in disaster.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 9:34pm On Apr 11, 2017
On Auburn, I paid for transcript + Dhl to two different schools.

One was sent end of January, school received it 5 days later and I was offered admission about two week later.

Second transcript wasn't sent till mid February using (I think 300naira) Nipost. Meanwhile I had been busy worrying the school but they were very sure my transcript wasn't in yet.

Resent another transcript with Dhl, arrived in about 4days. Still waiting for admission decision.

Learning point - Follow up on every item on your checklist, ensure the mission is accomplished as per plan so people don't mess you up.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by reDazey(f): 9:55pm On Apr 11, 2017
Scholastica16:

My dear, faith is still the victory that overcomes the world.

*if I am sounding over-spiritual these days it is because plenty rejections will make you remember your God*

You'd look back at this day and laugh. It will go well. E no get option.

Thanks dear. I appreciate. My faith and fate is in God. I believe something good would happen soon for us all.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by reDazey(f): 10:01pm On Apr 11, 2017
mfarad:

Sorry about that. All the best in the others. BTW, is this
Thanks dear.

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TheGreat342: 9:39am On Apr 14, 2017
drhopeful:
Second offer from University of Virginia. Fully funded with a research fellowship + RAship. Rather late because I already accepted Penn State after waiting on Virginia for soooooo long. Spoke with my super nice POI from Virginia and he really wants to work with me smiley and putting me in a big fix. Lol. Oh! And I already have my I-20 from Penn and paid SEVIS. Ah well... I don't know. grin

Scholastica16, how far for your end?

How much in Naria did you pay for SEVIS?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 5:59pm On Apr 14, 2017
TheGreat342:

How much in Naria did you pay for SEVIS?
Sorry I don't understand. It's paid in USD and a friend in the US did a money order. I then transferred naira to his Naija bank account - equivalent of $215.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Allylic(f): 11:09pm On Apr 14, 2017
i want to pay my SEVIS fee bt i need some1 in USA who can pay it for me in dollars..promise to pay the naira equivalent to the person's naija bank account...
PLS who knws anybody in Louisiana state university, Baton Rouge...pls i need a contact asap...thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 2:03am On Apr 15, 2017
drhopeful:
Thanks Scholastica16. So sorry about IPS. @the moniker, I get where he comes from, albeit, too acerbic. There is another one that is now missing in action - four letter moniker that starts with small 'b' grin. @ the field transition, I applied for MS Pet, them say them no dey offer am again but would not let me go. So I was offered Mat, and I decided to try it out, oblivious of the fact that it was a blessing in disguise. Mat is a very boring and tough subject but somehow I fell in love with it.

You madam, are a confirmed Efiko@ Mat Eng.

I know the 4-lettered Pharmacist you are referring to in the 'Ole' state that houses a capital similar to one late famous entertainer's surname. grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 12:26pm On Apr 15, 2017
Scholastica16:

You madam, are a confirmed Efiko@ Mat Eng.

I know the 4-lettered Pharmacist you are referring to in the 'Ole' state that houses a capital similar to one late famous entertainer's surname. grin
Spot on on the pharmacist with that moniker! Lol.

BTW, it's April 15! Can't wait to hear your good news!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 3:36pm On Apr 15, 2017
Allylic:
i want to pay my SEVIS fee bt i need some1 in USA who can pay it for me in dollars..promise to pay the naira equivalent to the person's naija bank account...
PLS who knws anybody in Louisiana state university, Baton Rouge...pls i need a contact asap...thanks

Hi! I know somebody.

(1) (2) (3) ... (222) (223) (224) (225) (226) (227) (228) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.