Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,350 members, 7,822,653 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:29 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (230) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1355428 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (227) (228) (229) (230) (231) (232) (233) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 8:54pm On Apr 23, 2017
shayhune:

Scholastica16, I tried to code it but you figured it out grin. You don burst my bubbles. Yea. He's in UT Austin. In fact, he even got a good offer from Georgia Tech(full funding for Phd) but rejected it for UT Austin. What got me perturbed was why MIT, Princeton and co would bounce such strong profile even with a very good GRE score, SOP and LORs.

By the way, are you an Akokite smiley

I figured it out through the GPA and course. I did not go to Unilag but I stumbled unto his profile on LinkedIn. Weird.

What was his GRE like?

And as per those schools rejecting him, it is a function of luck. The guy on NL who got into Princeton did not have 4.9 but his standardized test scores were stellar - 334 (Q168 V166 A5) and 115 (TOEFL).
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 9:00pm On Apr 23, 2017
Senorita123:

For Msc, I am considering business administration or finance

You don't sound like you know what you want to do with the degree.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Senorita123(f): 9:04pm On Apr 23, 2017
happyday:

Oh... Really
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Senorita123(f): 9:10pm On Apr 23, 2017
happyday:

Both of them are still in the same line. Some schools do the two together while u minor in one. I will go for business administration considering my career path. Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 9:23pm On Apr 23, 2017
Scholastica16:

I figured it out through the GPA and course. I did not go to Unilag but I stumbled unto his profile on LinkedIn. Weird.

What was his GRE like?

And as per those schools rejecting him, it is a function of luck. The guy on NL who got into Princeton did not have 4.9 but his standardized test scores were stellar - 334 (Q168 V166 A5) and 115 (TOEFL).
Omo, see scores. Chei! drhopeful the block head, why did you not get these scores? cry

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 9:36pm On Apr 23, 2017
Senorita123:

Oh... Really

Yeah, you need to be able to convince others why you want that degree, or it's going to be a hard sell. So ask yourself, why biz admin; why now?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tizentos: 9:39pm On Apr 23, 2017
happyday:

Don't judge people. You never know what kinda battle they are fighting.

Boss I didn't judge them, I only gave the guy, that ridiculed their degree as a mere mirage, a reason to view their poor performance from another perspective. just saying though

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tizentos: 9:43pm On Apr 23, 2017
usqoh:

ok have u got d premium. Who has d premium account. We both will compensate u.

Or if anyone is interested, tell us so we all save money and defeat GRE with 160+ and full scholarship is sure

am interested. They are giving a 20% discount for their service fee. The premium account should be around $103(minus discount).
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:46pm On Apr 23, 2017
donkafor:
Recommendation letters from Nigeria are not valued. Am a victim. So I intend to start my MSc at TUHH or TUM, Germany Winter 2017 then move to US for PhD on completion. Hope I have made the right decision? Any advice will be greatly valued and appreciated.

Go to technical university munich. It is one of the best engineering universities in europe and ranked among the top 50 in the world, just make sure you do very well in your program so you can get sweet letters of recommendation
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:48pm On Apr 23, 2017
Senorita123:
Hi guys... Keep up the good work. I just started following this page. Please I need your advice or someone to put me through. I graduated with a gp of 3.34 on a scale of 5. That is second class lower. However, I wish to go for my masters abroad. I contacted an agent and he requested for 350k. I can't afford this neither can my parents. I have managed to save some money from my teaching job but even if I continue saving for the next five years with the job, I still cannot afford the tuition. Please what will you advice I do to get the necessary funding considering my low gp. Which country should I consider? I don't av any idea regarding this travelling stuff. All ideas, arguments, advices and constructive criticism are welcome. Thanks and God bless.
Before i answer this, i will like to know what course you studied and what you had in your last 4 semesters GPA wise.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:50pm On Apr 23, 2017
drhopeful:
Omo, see scores. Chei! drhopeful the block head, why did you not get these scores? cry
GRE scores are not everything o.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by shayhune: 10:19pm On Apr 23, 2017
Scholastica16:

What was his GRE like?

320-325

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Senorita123(f): 10:36pm On Apr 23, 2017
tensazangetsu20:

Before i answer this, i will like to know what course you studied and what you had in your last 4 semesters GPA wise.
Thanks... I studied economics. I had 3.35 in d last 4 semesters
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:04pm On Apr 23, 2017
Senorita123:

Thanks... I studied economics. I had 3.35 in d last 4 semesters
And from one of your post i figured you want do a masters in either administration or economics. Well i dont want to discourage you in anyway but lots of people have masters in those field but what will distinguish you is the school you have done it in. You should aim for top 20 business school but those grades will be an albatross around your neck and frankly speaking at your current state it will be almost impossible to get in but all hope is not lost. You can start gaining experience, if you are young keep an eye out for when any of the big 4 auditing firms are recruiting or any other top consulting or accounting firm. Look out for internship or volunteer positions and try to distinguish yourself in every way possible when you are there. After working for 3 years, you should be ready to apply to business school and thats where the GMAT comes in. To get into a top business school you need at least 760 on 800, its very difficult but doable. Business schools are very expensive but try getting in first. There are lots of scholarships available especially for african women but you must work very hard if that is your aim.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 11:25pm On Apr 23, 2017
tensazangetsu20:

Go to technical university munich. It is one of the best engineering universities in europe and ranked among the top 50 in the world, just make sure you do very well in your program so you can get sweet letters of recommendation
Hope he's proficient in German Language because that's one of the requirements for Engineering MSc program....even for an international prospective student.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:32pm On Apr 23, 2017
seeker88:

Hope he's proficient in German Language because that's one of the requirements for Engineering MSc program....even for an international prospective student.
He can learn it and it will be an added advantage for him later on but there are few courses though that do not need german proficiency. I would have recommended sweden but the school fees in royal institute of technology and chalmers are very high for international students and i dont know if they offer any scholarships.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by donkafor(m): 6:07am On Apr 24, 2017
Thank you.

tensazangetsu20:

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by donkafor(m): 6:10am On Apr 24, 2017
Applied to KTH but was not awarded any scholarship so I rejected the offer. Was also not awarded Swedish Institute Study Scholarship

tensazangetsu20:

He can learn it and it will be an added advantage for him later on but there are few courses though that do not need german proficiency. I would have recommended sweden but the school fees in royal institute of technology and chalmers are very high for international students and i dont know if they offer any scholarships.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by donkafor(m): 6:20am On Apr 24, 2017
grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DifferentCase(m): 7:16am On Apr 24, 2017
Hotboss Baba, good morning. Trying to have a chat with you please, kindly check your mail. Thanks man.
hotboss:

Wow
. Thank you for your reply.. I just took test1. Verbal 142 Quantitative 155

I think I need strategies on comprehension passage. Then the vocabularies.

I also have to master the GRE Quantitative patterns.

I think I would have to face verbal for now. I have this regular poor scores in anything verbal..

@happyday thank you so very much..

Please does anyone here know aboutique North dakota state university?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:25am On Apr 24, 2017
donkafor:
Was rejected for MSc Power Engineering (MSPE) at TUM because of recommendation. Scored 72 points. Waiting for admission decision for MSc Management (MiM).. management degree programme for engineers at TUM. Considering MSc Mechanical Engineering and Management from TUHH so I can go for PhD. If I take up offer from TUM for MiM, then PhD will be in Engineering Management.

Bachelor: Mechanical Engineering
GPA: 4.58

I dont understand. Was the recommendation letter bad or what?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by donkafor(m): 12:05pm On Apr 24, 2017
Not bad but TUM admission is based on point system. Didn't achieve suitable points there.

tensazangetsu20:

I dont understand. Was the recommendation letter bad or what?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by LadunaI(m): 1:53pm On Apr 24, 2017
Scholastica16:

What was his GRE like?

Seconded @ ....it is a function of luck. I found this in Quora and is related to what you've been saying.

" I got accepted by Harvard, MIT and Stanford but was rejected by University of Kansas, how do I get over it?
My whole family are University of Kansas alumni, I was hoping to get in. I might have taken the application there less seriously than the others, but I wasn’t expecting to be rejected. I had been lying to my family and friends about being accepted but choosing to go away instead."

https://www.quora.com/I-got-accepted-by-Harvard-MIT-and-Stanford-but-was-rejected-by-University-of-Kansas-how-do-I-get-over-it

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:57pm On Apr 24, 2017
donkafor:
Not bad but TUM admission is based on point system. Didn't achieve suitable points there.

Then you didn't package yourself well. Anyway i posted a scholarship link earlier to TU delft. You can check it out.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 3:12pm On Apr 24, 2017
Hmmm, following all the discussion with one eye. There is a lot going on with these admissions. I am learning a lot and would post my observations later.

About the letter of recommendation, I have written one myself and has politely requested from my referee if I can send it to him/her, so it could just be edited and sent to schools from the recommender's e-mail address. Some of those Nigerian letters of recommendation are just bland, that's apart from the fact that most of them don't respond on time.

@drhopeful. I know you are joking about test scores in your last post. It is not by test scores ooh. Admission gotten with the test score is the most important thing. I have one reject and I have not heard from the other program (At this point I assume it is a reject). I am trying to put some other applications together. The main problem is that I can't really wait till next fall. But I firmly believe that I would still get this. Nothing good comes easy.

5 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 3:25pm On Apr 24, 2017
Scholastica16:

What was his GRE like?

scholastica pls can I have you on whatsap? Please dont quote this....
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aamstih: 4:49am On Apr 25, 2017
Hi, If the schools one is applying only states 'official transcripts' and no mention of WES, hope this means transcript sent by one's alma mater and not a transcript evaluated by WES.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aamstih: 4:52am On Apr 25, 2017
Hi, on this scale, where would you place uni of San Francisco and North eastern University. Thanks

happyday:

Mid-100s schools in Electrical Engineering aren't low ranked. I'm talking UM College Park, Michigan State, UC Santa Barbara, U Wisconsin Madison, Ohio State, LSU, KSU. Depending on what rankings you're looking at, those are good schools in EEG and not low as you think.

And then your grades. They're only interested in your grades in specific classes (they even ask for the curriculum and the textbooks you used), plus an A here is in the 90+ range, not the 70% in Naija.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by GlassDoc: 9:11am On Apr 25, 2017
aamstih:
Hi, on this scale, where would you place uni of San Francisco and North eastern University. Thanks

use www.usnews.com to check rankings

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by electronic(m): 10:09pm On Apr 25, 2017
Guitarlife:
scholastica pls can I have you on whatsap? Please dont quote this....
Abeg don't use the bolded phrase for a female Yankee student ohh... grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Glocal1: 10:37pm On Apr 25, 2017
aamstih:
Hi, If the schools one is applying only states 'official transcripts' and no mention of WES, hope this means transcript sent by one's alma mater and not a transcript evaluated by WES.
Yes, it's d transcript from d undergraduate institution, sealed and stamped; otherwise, d sch would have stated 'evaluated transcript'.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by OGreene: 6:39am On Apr 26, 2017
You can ask the school if you can upload unofficial copy, that is the doc from school you have with you. I did that in my case. Ask!

aamstih:

(1) (2) (3) ... (227) (228) (229) (230) (231) (232) (233) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.