Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,723 members, 7,809,750 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:14 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (249) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1348125 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (246) (247) (248) (249) (250) (251) (252) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by sheeda995(f): 7:59am On Jun 20, 2017
Time2Smile:

That is a stellar GPA.
OK since Public health is your passion why didn't you study it in your MSc? I believe Master in Public health admission is broad and take students from different undergraduate courses( at least UI MPH). With your background in Health Science you should be able to find schools that would give you admission into Public health PhD program.

This is where you master degree comes in, Do not treat as an afterthought,. Admission committees know how to spot exceptional student, So the higher your MSc GPA the better. It would be useful if you can also garner some research experience during your MSc.

I believe there are schools out there, A Google query such as "PhD public health in US University" should give useful results. On the other hand, if you have specific school in mind you can search for example "John Hopkins University PhD Public health"

Let us know what you think.

Thank you very much sir
I have never seen a group has wonderful as this.
The problem I have with MPH is that I heard its not a good course in the united state and someone advised to do a STEM course instead. I will keep looking for schools that will take me for PHd public health because I do not meet up the requirement of most schools that I have been seeing. And for me to choose my MSC thesis topic, I want to be sure of the course for PHD first, so that it can go inline with the PhD course.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by sheeda995(f): 8:00am On Jun 20, 2017
OluDare01:
Hey! Why are you depressed? Do you need someone to talk to
You've got a good profile and I see no reason why you shouldn't get a full ride for a PhD.
Thanks sir, am just having problem with a PhD course to choose and the dissertation topic to choose
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by sheeda995(f): 8:01am On Jun 20, 2017
OluDare01:
Hey! Why are you depressed? Do you need someone to talk to
You've got a good profile and I see no reason why you shouldn't get a full ride for a PhD.
Thanks sir, am just having problem with a PhD course to choose and the dissertation topic to choose. plus MSC in this country is enough frustration, they treat us like trash. And no time to study for GRE
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by OluDare01(m): 8:33am On Jun 20, 2017
With your profile, you can go for Public Health. You don't need a dissertation topic for now, just try and highlight your research interest. Pm me
sheeda995:

Thanks sir, am just having problem with a PhD course to choose and the dissertation topic to choose. plus MSC in this country is enough frustration, they treat us like trash. And no time to study for GRE
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dawbbleOuEi: 9:14am On Jun 20, 2017
dawbbleOuEi:
Hello, guys. Nice thread. I have a question... How feasible is an MSc in Epidemiology, with a first degree in Biology (BTech)? I majored in Parasitology in my final year; research work soon to be published by supervisor
Please help comment on this, sirs, even if it's a passing comment. Edakun
cc OluDare01 Time2Smile happyday

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pronto543(m): 12:38pm On Jun 20, 2017
seeker88:

Thanks bro.. .

I didn't send recommendation letter to all d 11 schools as few of them didn't require recommendations, eg, Wayne State Uni and Wright State Uni.

Getting my referees to send their recommendation was the biggest challenge for me especially the academic ones. One of the academic referees was my project supervisor then in school, so we had a good rapport to the extent that we even chat on BBM till date. Despite that, he couldn't submit most of his recommendations early enough cos he was always busy with work n travels ...for example, he submitted his recommendation for my Georgia Tech and TAMU application in early March even though I completed these applications in Dec. So in all I just had to be patience with them while sending gentle reminder at intervals.

To d second question, yes, Dec is still early enough. For most good schools, their priority deadline is usually from Dec 15 to Jan 15 and that's best time to apply if you aim for funding....my advice is: "submit your application before the priority deadline if you have all the application materials ready, that would give u enough time to follow up with ur referees for their final recommendation submissions".

Finally, for majority of the schools, I uploaded the student copy of my transcript. Then for the school that required evaluated Transcript (eg, South Dakota State University) , I sent a copy from WES. It was only in LSU application that I ordered for a copy of my transcript directly from my UG school since they don't accept transcript from evaluation agency. The transcript took forever to get to d school. .....#NaijaSystem#

Congratulations bro for taking time to go into the nitty gritty of ur application. Please I'll like to know the cost of applying for WES evaluation of transcript and sending it to schools. Also, I'll like to know the exchange rate (in Naira) when you paid for application fee. Was it the parallel market or inter-bank exchange rate that was used?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 12:52pm On Jun 20, 2017
dawbbleOuEi:

Please help comment on this, sirs, even if it's a passing comment. Edakun
cc OluDare01 Time2Smile happyday

I think you are qualified depending on your GPA and scores in certain courses. You need to check schools that offer Master in Public health (MPH). Most would have epidemiology as a concentration under MPH. Stop focusing on B.tech. I think the tech as to do with the fact that you attended a University of technology.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by temi4fash(m): 1:33pm On Jun 20, 2017
OluDare01:
With your profile, you can go for Public Health. You don't need a dissertation topic for now, just try and highlight your research interest. Pm me

Bros,

I sent you a mail sir
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dawbbleOuEi: 3:25pm On Jun 20, 2017
Time2Smile:

I think you are qualified depending on your GPA and scores in certain courses. You need to check schools that offer Master in Public health (MPH). Most would have epidemiology as a concentration under MPH. Stop focusing on B.tech. I think the tech as to do with the fact that you attended a University of technology.
Thank you.
I made a 4.28/5.00 CGPA. I only mentioned the BTech cos folks would normally think it's BEd since it's Biology​. As for the 'certain courses,' I know of Math (Statistics) and Physiology among others (University of Arizona), both of which I did. But they didn't mention the required foundational (first degree) courses. I just needed to know if Biology is one of such courses anywhere.

Thank you, again.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by sheeda995(f): 3:33pm On Jun 20, 2017
OluDare01:
pm sent sir
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by sheeda995(f): 5:43pm On Jun 20, 2017
OluDare01:
I mean I need a project topic for my MSC thesis, so I need to be sure of what course to do for my PHD before I choose any topic and take it to my thesis supervisor
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by powelldabig: 7:05pm On Jun 20, 2017
DanjaNinja:
Listen all, i just found this incredible online resource for GRE materials. Its a facebook group but its by invitation only. So drop ur email addresses or send me a pm and i'll send you an invite to the group. Here's the group link, however it can only be accessed by members of the group:

https://www./newgremaster/

After joining the group, head to the file section and you will find every book and test questions there. #OneLove

Please add me to the group... kolawoleolaitan@yahoo.com
Thanks in anticipation
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pronto543(m): 7:26pm On Jun 20, 2017
DanjaNinja:
Listen all, i just found this incredible online resource for GRE materials. Its a facebook group but its by invitation only. So drop ur email addresses or send me a pm and i'll send you an invite to the group. Here's the group link, however it can only be accessed by members of the group:

After joining the group, head to the file section and you will find every book and test questions there. #OneLove
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by OluDare01(m): 7:27pm On Jun 20, 2017
I dropped my contact for you
sheeda995:

pm sent sir
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyroyalty: 8:24pm On Jun 20, 2017
DanjaNinja:

please add me to the group princealiga@gmail.com. Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ayopaul84(m): 9:41pm On Jun 20, 2017
ayopaul84:
Congratulations to those who have been given admission.

Please i am planning for Fall 2018. I need your advice pls. Esp @Time2Smile and the host of others.

My profile is as below:

Intending course of study: Cellular/Molecular Biology and Genetics (PhD)
Degrees obtained already: MSc, BSc (Biochemistry)
BSc GPA: 4.50
MSc GPA: 4.35 (messed up)
GRE and TOEFL: In view
(Preparation on going)
Experience: About 2 years as a Graduate Assistant (would most likely be an Assistant Lecturer before submitting my application.

The following are the schools I came up with after surfing the net.

Michigan State University
University of Delaware
University of Kentucky
Wayne State University
University of Texas, Dallas
Middle Tennessee State University (in no particular order of preference).

My enquiries:
1.Pls the gurus in the house should help me peruse the above list and give a sincere critique vis a vis my profile.

2. I need suggestions on SAFE schools for my profile (esp. schools that allow upload of unofficial transcript).

3. Anyone on the thread with a similar ambition or had a similar ambition and went through (currently running PhD program) should pls indicate for a personal chat including Mr Time2Smile.

Thanks and God bless you.

Hello all

pls i still need your inputs to the above.

It's not as though hv not done my home work to tge best of my knowledge anyways. But I still need ur sincere critical response.

'in d multitude of counselors, there is safety'

Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by md16: 11:01pm On Jun 20, 2017
[
What can I do to make my profile strong?
Any safe school for my profile that can offer funding?

@time2smile, happyday, codexgigax, topiipii, Ogreene, scholastica16, ponpon, justwise, adrandaeze, drhopeful, icool, OluDare01. et al
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by OluDare01(m): 11:37pm On Jun 20, 2017
MTSU requires Wes evaluation.
You may wanna take a look at Georgia state university
ayopaul84:

Hello all

pls i still need your inputs to the above.

It's not as though hv not done my home work to tge best of my knowledge anyways. But I still need ur sincere critical response.

'in d multitude of counselors, there is safety'

Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 1:32am On Jun 21, 2017
md16:
Hello everyone,

I really appreciate everyone on this platform making life simpler and better for others.

I want to apply for PhD Pharmacology in a decent school for fall 2018. I messed up big time with my uGPA. I am studying for GRE, and plan to write by September.

Here's my profile:
uGPA: 2.8 (WES)
Research experience : 1 year
u Major: Microbiology

What are my chances?
What can I do to make my profile strong?
Any safe school for my profile that can offer funding?

@time2smile, happyday, codexgigax, topiipii, Ogreene, scholastica16, ponpon, justwise, adrandaeze, drhopeful, icool, OluDare01. et al

If you're getting a Pharmacology PhD, funding shouldn't be your concern. Focus on getting admitted. You can't change your GPA anymore, but here are what's within your reach. Think deeply of ways on how to make your research experiences stand out (both in your undergrad final year & the 1 yr stint). What you did matters, but how you present what you did matters much more. Look for stellar Statements of Purpose written for PhD applications, and find ways to creatively adapt yours likewise. Also, how do your undergrad courses tie in with your PhD research interests? Are there courses you did in your final years of undergrad that made you want to go into Pharmacology? Think of ways to bridge the gaps between your MCB and Pharm interests, so the switch would make sense!

Score as high as you can on your GRE. The higher the better. Get three lecturers who can write good letters to recommend you.

Those will strengthen your profile. Search for schools that fit your research interests. Sorry, I don't know of any safe schools for Pharm. PhDs.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by sheeda995(f): 7:49am On Jun 21, 2017
happyday:

If you're getting a Pharmacology PhD, funding shouldn't be your concern. Focus on getting admitted. You can't change your GPA anymore, but here are what's within your reach. Think deeply of ways on how to make your research experiences stand out (both in your undergrad final year & the 1 yr stint). What you did matters, but how you present what you did matters much more. Look for stellar Statements of Purpose written for PhD applications, and find ways to creatively adapt yours likewise. Also, how do your undergrad courses tie in with your PhD research interests? Are there courses you did in your final years of undergrad that made you want to go into Pharmacology? Think of ways to bridge the gaps between your MCB and Pharm interests, so the switch would make sense!

Score as high as you can on your GRE. The higher the better. Get three lecturers who can write good letters to recommend you.

Those will strengthen your profile. Search for schools that fit your research interests. Sorry, I don't know of any safe schools for Pharm. PhDs.
Good day sir, please sir, what do you mean by making ones research outstanding? am about to start my MSC project, I want to be sure of how to make it outstanding in order to get funding for my PHD, please is it the topic that matters or content, or type of research?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by md16: 7:54am On Jun 21, 2017
Thank you so much happyday. My underG thesis is related to Pharmacology. It's a new work which I can publish as soon as I'm ready. I'm also working on volunteering at a lab here while I study my ass of for the GRE.
happyday:

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Baldini(m): 8:24am On Jun 21, 2017
sirRiddy:
Got this from an applicant for grad school and thought this might
be helpful to those preparing for the GRE

Dear Bleep,

Help me out with this first: Which is your given name and which is your family name? I see one order in your salutation and another order in your email address.
In some cultures, such as in England and the US, one introduces oneself with first name followed by last name. In Belgium or Poland, however, one normally introduces oneself in the reverse order with last name first and then one’s given name.
With Nigerian names, I unfortunately in most cases do not have enough contextual knowledge.

Your coursework sounds interesting and promising and gives reason for cautious optimism. If your quantitative section GRE score turn out to be high, you would be a competitive applicant in terms of preparedness for our demanding research methods sequence. A high score also would compensate for some of the doubt people might have given the absence of algebra in your courses even though some of the titles do suggest a sufficient level of mathematics.

The GRE should be approached with great seriousness and I would strongly encourage you to carefully prepare. No one preparation method has decisive properties. You must find what works best for you. Do take several practice tests.

Based on my experience with applicants from outside the US (that includes myself), I would like to suggest that you also look very closely at the analytical writing portion of the GRE. While the Verbal and Quantitative portions of the GRE are multiple choice, the analytical writing portion requires you to write some kind of essay. The score on this portion of the test is the most frequent stumbling block and area of poor performance for international students.

The Educational Testing Service (ETS), the company that creates the GRE, claims that it makes no difference where you come from but reality can be different. Think of it this way: Tens of thousands of these handwritten analytical writing essays are evaluated each year by humans. The only way to have consistency across the people marking these is to use a template. The template and associated guidelines come from a particular cultural and linguistic perspective. That is where differences in culture and language and maintaining language skill under time pressure can negatively affect the non-English test taker and even those who come from societies where English is the lingua franca. It isn’t the same English and the patterns are different. To use an example, I can almost always recognize when a European Francophone is the author of an English text because there is a distinct pattern of thought that becomes visible no matter how skilled the author’s English.

So, when you work on this part of the test, think of the task as writing an essay addressed to a specifically American audience in response to a question they have asked you. It would be wise to read several GRE guide books (including books not published by ETS itself) on how to approach the analytical writing section.
Quite aside from the effect on one’s admissions probabilities, I should point out that access to financial assistance at the University of Arkansas for students in the form of fellowships is heavily influenced by the GRE score.
The university’s fellowship committee requires a minimum 4.0 score on the analytical writing portion in order to even consider someone for a fellowship.

As to the TOEFL test: You will have to address your questions to the international admissions office at the graduate school of the University of Arkansas. They set the policy regarding whether TOEFL is a requirement.

My department provides a $13,600 graduate assistantship to every person who is admitted. However, this is insufficient to satisfy the income requirements for a student visa. You must receive a fellowship on top of the graduate assistantship. You will understand why I put so much emphasis on careful GRE preparation.

Best regards,

xxxxx, Ph.D.
Chief of Staff and Graduate Coordinator
Department of xx
University of Bleep
202 Graduate Education Building
Fayetteville, AR 72701
(479) 575-

Pls I need help, I was denied a visa in 2015, now I have just received my i-20 to study business administration and I'm 34 years of age, what is my chances of getting it this time and secondly I left sec school since 2001 and learnt a trade from 2004 to 2006
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by essayHelp(m): 2:09pm On Jun 21, 2017
sheeda995:

Good day sir, please sir, what do you mean by making ones research outstanding? am about to start my MSC project, I want to be sure of how to make it outstanding in order to get funding for my PHD, please is it the topic that matters or content, or type of research?

The goal should be to publish in a leading peer-reviewed journal or peer-reviewed conference in your field.

To do this, you need to obtain meaningful, or interesting, results from your research. For your results to be credible, they have to be obtained from use of proper methodology.

Concretely, you can discuss with your supervisor to allow you participate in his ongoing research projects. He can assign you a specific problem or objective (from the overarching research theme) to solve within your limited thesis timeframe. You need a well thought-out and structured project to obtain meaningful results. Hard work alone may not suffice.

Failing this, he can point you to an interesting topic that may be outside the scope of his current work. You need to carefully review the literature pertaining to that topic. For your paper to be accepted, your work must have valid motivation/context, be undertaken with the correct tools (methodology), and must achieve a specific objective (or at least raise meaningful and interesting questions for future explorations).

Regards.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jun 21, 2017
Hey, I am not a visa agent or expert.
You can post your situation here and I am sure people can help
you pick it apart. Good luck
https://www.nairaland.com/3586207/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part/349
Baldini:

Pls I need help, I was denied a visa in 2015, now I have just received my i-20 to study business administration and I'm 34 years of age, what is my chances of getting it this time and secondly I left sec school since 2001 and learnt a trade from 2004 to 2006

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 7:12pm On Jun 21, 2017
sheeda995:

If you can get a topic close enough to what you'd like to work on later during your PhD, that would be great. If not, look for a topic that interests you. Your passion will shine through while you work on it, and also by the time you apply to schools. So, choose an exciting topic (according to you), and give it your best shot. Plus, it would be easier for you to select schools, since you'll know what research areas excite you.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Gbemisolarh(f): 6:17pm On Jun 23, 2017
Hello guys.... Kudos to your amazing contributions that's helping newbies like us to know how things are being done...

1) I have a GPA of 4.0/5 ( what will the result be on a conversion scale of 4.0)

2) which scores can I have in both my TOEFL and GRE to enable me to get a full funding & what are my chances with my GPA

3) is it possible to apply to Universities before writing TOEFL & GRE...

Pls positive and negative contributions will be considered pls......Thanks and God bless bless you all
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Zariyah: 6:30pm On Jun 23, 2017
Hello,
I'm a chemistry graduate with a CGPA of 3.30/5.00 and I have a Gre score of 298 and I don't want to sit for IELTS nor toefl.
I want to have my MSc in chemistry, prefferably nutrition chemistry.
Please, I need help on good schools in which I can apply to (I haven't had any progress with Canada was they want 2.1 or 1st class) and a country that is immigrant friendly.
Thanks.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 8:21pm On Jun 23, 2017
Gbemisolarh:
Hello guys.... Kudos to your amazing contributions that's helping newbies like us to know how things are being done...

1) I have a GPA of 4.0/5 ( what will the result be on a conversion scale of 4.0)

2) which scores can I have in both my TOEFL and GRE to enable me to get a full funding & what are my chances with my GPA

3) is it possible to apply to Universities before writing TOEFL & GRE...

Pls positive and negative contributions will be considered pls......Thanks and God bless bless you all

Score as high as you can in both. Alongside your GPA, you'll make for an outstanding applicant. You'll need to take the tests before your applications can be considered. You didn't say your UG & intended course, I'd have advised better.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 8:23pm On Jun 23, 2017
Zariyah:
Hello,
I'm a chemistry graduate with a CGPA of 3.30/5.00 and I have a Gre score of 298 and I don't want to sit for IELTS nor toefl.
I want to have my MSc in chemistry, prefferably nutrition chemistry.
Please, I need help on good schools in which I can apply to (I haven't had any progress with Canada was they want 2.1 or 1st class) and a country that is immigrant friendly.
Thanks.

If money isn't an issue, retake the GRE, & take either of TOEFL or IELTs.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Zariyah: 8:39pm On Jun 23, 2017
What if money is an issue and I can only afford to take IELTS?

happyday:

If money isn't an issue, retake the GRE, & take either of TOEFL or IELTs.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 10:07pm On Jun 23, 2017
Zariyah:
What if money is an issue and I can only afford to take IELTS?

You should take the GRE instead. Most good schools would waive the English language requirement for you. Scoring high on your GRE would help you
- overcome their doubts as regards your GPA,
- stand out as an MS applicant (research schools want more PhDs than MS's),
- get funding (funding for MS is tight).

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Johnsilva(m): 8:38am On Jun 24, 2017
Goodmorning house, I just took the gre but didnt score well, 291. I have an U.G in petroleum engineering with 3.0/5.0 cgpa and have 4yrs experience in a mech engr related role. Have done ielts 7.5 overall, what are my chances of getting admitted to an msc mech engr program in the US with a possibility of funding. Thnks all for your advise.

(1) (2) (3) ... (246) (247) (248) (249) (250) (251) (252) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.