Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,313 members, 7,811,932 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:02 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (280) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1349321 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (277) (278) (279) (280) (281) (282) (283) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 9:41am On Sep 04, 2017
HEADYWORLD:
GOOD MORNING, CAN HND HOLDER TAKE GRE EXAM FOR MSC ADMISSION?

The chances of getting admitted into good US schools is already X3 harder for BSc holders without a GRE. Now factor in the HND and see if that factor does not, more than quadruple without the GRE.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by HEADYWORLD: 9:42am On Sep 04, 2017
Please, can HND holder write GRE and gain admission for masters? if not, what are the things i need to do to qualify me for this exam?
thanks on your swift response
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by temmitats(f): 9:43am On Sep 04, 2017
Scholastica16:

How much can your faith take? There would always be outliers to every case and you could be.

That does not mean we are trivializing what he said (as he gave something worthy of note or consideration).

Remember Drhopeful said she almost did not apply to UVA again as she thought her writing GRE a second time and not getting the grad cord/ or POI to respond to her questions spelled doom about her chances. Well, you know the rest.

There are racists everywhere by the way.
You're right, I was able to learn that the diversity scholarship is awarded to US citizens and Permanent residents, This wasn't stated on their website at all. At least now I know that.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 9:46am On Sep 04, 2017
HEADYWORLD:
Please, can HND holder write GRE and gain admission for masters? if not, what are the things i need to do to qualify me for this exam?
thanks on your swift response

Oga, you can write the exams. Whether you would be admitted now depends on the school.

Ask the grad coord of the schools you are considering.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by HEADYWORLD: 9:47am On Sep 04, 2017
Scholastica16:

The chances of getting admitted into good US schools is already X3 harder for BSc holders without a GRE. Now factor in the HND and see if that factor does not, more than quadruple without the GRE.
thanks for your response, what if i take the GRE exam and have good score, will that ease the hurdles? DO YOU HAVE IDEA OF WHAT I CAN DO, MAYBE A TOP UP PROGRAM?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 9:48am On Sep 04, 2017
temmitats:

You're right, I was able to learn that the diversity scholarship is awarded to US citizens and Permanent residents, This wasn't stated on their website at all. At least now I know that.

So to be or not to be?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by HEADYWORLD: 9:48am On Sep 04, 2017
Scholastica16:

Oga, you can write the exams. Whether you would be admitted now depends on the school.

Ask the grad coord of the schools you are considering.
THANK YOU OGA,
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 9:49am On Sep 04, 2017
HEADYWORLD:

thanks for your response, what if i take the GRE exam and have good score, will that ease the hurdles? DO YOU HAVE IDEA OF WHAT I CAN DO, MAYBE A TOP UP PROGRAM?

The best person to ask this question is the grad coordinator of your prospective schools.

You can get their emails on the websites of the schools.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by temmitats(f): 10:01am On Sep 04, 2017
Scholastica16:

So to be or not to be?
I'm still expecting responses from other grad students before making my decision. I also plan to email professors in my proposed research area.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by gokuu(m): 10:13am On Sep 04, 2017
Scholastica16:

The girl I told you about in NYU Stern used some experts. 2.1 Accounting degree, 319 GRE 104 TOEFL. She paid N300k late 2015 or so.

Yea, she got fully-funded into Stern for her MBA. Her $71k tuition waived with a $5000/month stipend.

The point is, the credible ones work yet sometimes they don't but if you have the money (which you do). Give it a try. UT Austin, Duke, MIT Sloan etc. if they end up giving you a good/full tuition waiver, you won't remember how much you paid the consultants.

Exactly how I was thinking. Why not go all in!

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by gokuu(m): 10:17am On Sep 04, 2017
Scholastica16:

Just because He might be too busy to respond soon to you, He is already in the US undergoing his PhD in Molecular Cell Biology or so at the University of Texas in Dallas fully-funded with a very generous stipend - his own words.

He has a very strong profile and is one of the few people especially on this thread who cracked the 330 (Q-165 V- 165 AWA- 4.5)GRE score in his first try!
Oh wow!
I was mixing time2smile up with time2reign.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DreManuel(m): 11:01am On Sep 04, 2017
temmitats:
Hi guys, so yesterday I had a conversation with a current grad student in UW Madison and honestly it was so funny I cannot help sharing it.One of the reasons I chose UW Madison as my ambitious school was that while carrying out my research i discovered it was a predominantly white school and they were working towards diversifying their campus. I felt that would work in my favor being a black woman , they also made mention of the criteria for admitting international students by their countries' GPA equivalent and Nigeria's was a 3.6/5 and they consider the last two years of study too, It was looking perfect. This grad student is currently a beneficiary of the diversity scholarship, He's Hispanic,He practically advised me to not apply to UW Madison, He told me that over 75% of the student body is white and in Engineering specifically i could be the only person of color in a class of 20-25 students. I tried to let him know things like that don't really phase( I mean what is my business if i am the only black person in the whole school sef), He insisted I was going to be in for a very big surprise and he told me that if i eventually go to school there I'll have to assume that every white person is racist to protect myself ( is it really that deep?). I never really considered racism when choosing schools I believe I'll be able to endure anything thrown at me but what do you guys think? Do you think I should actually consider potential racism when considering schools?

Except you go to predominantly Black Colleges like Tuskegee University, you will always find yourself as a minority wherever you meet yourself in the States given the fact that the population of the US itself is predominantly white with ~14% black (including the likes of Vin Diesel). So I suggest you do not sweat the race thing. But it is there, and you can be mentally prepared for it especially if it would be the first time you would be exposed to such.

Again, we African Blacks tend to react differently to "racism" from African-Americans given their history in the US. So, you might want to go with an open mind and interact with all people the same whether Black, Yellow, Brown or White. And please don't assume every white is racist. I have met random White people who are more friendly than Blacks including fellow Africans in the States.

In addition, racism might be more predominant in the South such as Mississippi, Texas, Alabama, Tennessee, etc than the North and the Midwest. But there are racists everywhere such as there are tribalists in Nigeria (and can even be worse).

Wherever you go, just be proud of who you are. Perhaps, being the only Black in a class will give you the privilege to showcase the talents we have as a people.

In short, if you want to worry about racism, you should not worry about studying or living in the US!

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 12:53pm On Sep 04, 2017
temmitats:
Hi guys, so yesterday I had a conversation with a current grad student in UW Madison and honestly it was so funny I cannot help sharing it.One of the reasons I chose UW Madison as my ambitious school was that while carrying out my research i discovered it was a predominantly white school and they were working towards diversifying their campus. I felt that would work in my favor being a black woman , they also made mention of the criteria for admitting international students by their countries' GPA equivalent and Nigeria's was a 3.6/5 and they consider the last two years of study too, It was looking perfect. This grad student is currently a beneficiary of the diversity scholarship, He's Hispanic,He practically advised me to not apply to UW Madison, He told me that over 75% of the student body is white and in Engineering specifically i could be the only person of color in a class of 20-25 students. I tried to let him know things like that don't really phase( I mean what is my business if i am the only black person in the whole school sef), He insisted I was going to be in for a very big surprise and he told me that if i eventually go to school there I'll have to assume that every white person is racist to protect myself ( is it really that deep?). I never really considered racism when choosing schools I believe I'll be able to endure anything thrown at me but what do you guys think? Do you think I should actually consider potential racism when considering schools?

I really have to respond to this. To me, his suggestion is just a load of bullshit. Let me put it this way, American universities represent the best of America in terms of tolerance, cospomolitan and progressive thinking. I think the least thing you should worry about is racism, especially in the university environment. Is there really any school in America in which the student body is not over 75% white except historically black colleges? Therefore if you want to study in the US, be prepared to be in the minority. Blacks are only 13% of American population and it becomes something like 5% on university campuses.

During my orientation, I was the only black person out of about 400 to 500 students in the hall. It was only on the second day that I saw a lady from Kenya and another American born Nigerian. I think I am also the only Black PhD student in my department, and this is at UT Dallas, a southern school.(Blacks make up a higher percentage of southern states population).

However, do I give a damn? Hell No. Do I feel different or inadequate? Of course not. Be confident and carry yourself with pride my lady.

6 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by briliantsak(m): 1:14pm On Sep 04, 2017
Good day guys,
I'm new here...I graduated last year from a Federal University of Technology in Nigeria with over 92% CGPA. I've scheduled my GRE for November 2, my vocabulary bank is quite good ( say 60%) and I'm still working on it. I'm above average with mathematics ( working on that too). But the truth of the matter is I'm kinda scared, maybe because I've contacted some schools outside and they're willing to accept me (based on my result and research experience with publications)... all I'm left with is the GRE.

Hmmmmm... I don't even know what to say again (Smiles, I'm scared)

Kindly help me out guys...
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by paulbets: 1:39pm On Sep 04, 2017
hybeenoni:
Good evening all, I appreciate honest advice been given out to those in need of it.

I intend writing gre by 1st week of December and wish to be advised on schools that have reputations for funding.

Cgpa 4.22/5
Wes 3.37/4
BSc Mathematics
Proposed course Msc Actuarial science or Data science/Analytics

Major consideration is funding.

Would appreciate your usual kind advice
Your WES converted GPA should not be less than 3.52.

Confirm it please

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 1:42pm On Sep 04, 2017
briliantsak:
Good day guys,
I'm new here...I graduated last year from a Federal University of Technology in Nigeria with over 92% CGPA. I've scheduled my GRE for November 2, my vocabulary bank is quite good ( say 60%) and I'm still working on it. I'm above average with mathematics ( working on that too). But the truth of the matter is I'm kinda scared, maybe because I've contacted some schools outside and they're willing to accept me (based on my result and research experience with publications)... all I'm left with is the GRE.

Hmmmmm... I don't even know what to say again (Smiles, I'm scared)

Kindly help me out guys...

You are welcome.

Your strong vocab would not be of help if you don't know how to use it in context. And the GRE will never test you on a word in the most recognized meaning so make sure you are taking note of such words like 'Table, Involved, Qualify and Discriminate' etc as their varied use far strays from what we all know.

By now you should be taking only full-length tests. Solving questions at your own pace can be misleading. I was getting 34/36 sometimes all in many of the Manhattan exercises but kept jamming in the venue because I falsely tested myself.

So take the full-length tests including the essay prompts to develop the stamina you need on the main day. A lot of us would have done better if we had developed enough stamina. I know for certain that that would have been my case. To add to that, practicing full-length tests helps cure the nerves.

Make sure you don't waste the PowerPrep II software; use the first one as a diagnostic test and the 2nd one a day or so before your GRE date. It would tell you almost exactly what to expect on the main day in terms of the score you would reproduce.

Employ useful tips on the main day. Some questions will simply be solved by plugging in the answers and testing it. Some would be solved simply by eliminating weird options and guessing between the final 2. Don't do 'gra gra' like me who thought I needed to solve every single Maths Q to get a 170. Bizzarely, the GRE does not work that way.

One guy from OAU that got Q-170 said...wait for it... that he did not answer 2 questions in his 2nd QR. And it paid off because they ended up being the easy questions. I know someone else who got 18/20 in the first section and 14/20 in the second yet his composite Maths score came to 159 yet another with 16/20 and 16/20 got 163. If you are skilled enough to get the difficult questions right, this could be your kismet.

5 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by briliantsak(m): 2:03pm On Sep 04, 2017
Scholastica16:

You are welcome.

Your strong vocab would not be of help if you don't know how to use it in context. And the GRE will never test you on a word in the most recognized meaning so make sure you are taking note of such words like 'Table, Involved, Qualify and Discriminate' etc as their varied use far strays from what we all know.

By now you should be taking only full-length tests. Solving questions at your own pace can be misleading. I was getting 34/36 sometimes all in many of the Manhattan exercises but kept jamming in the venue because I falsely tested myself.

So take the full-length tests including the essay prompts to develop the stamina you need on the main day. A lot of us would have done better if we had developed enough stamina. I know for certain that that would have been my case. To add to that, practicing full-length tests helps cure the nerves.

Make sure you don't waste the PowerPrep II software; use the first one as a diagnostic test and the 2nd one a day or so before your GRE date. It would tell you almost exactly what to expect on the main day in terms of the score you would reproduce.

Employ useful tips on the main day. Some questions will simply be solved by plugging in the answers and testing it. Some would be solved simply by eliminating weird options and guessing between the final 2. Don't do 'gra gra' like me who thought I needed to solve every single Maths Q to get a 170. Bizzarely, the GRE does not work that way.

One guy from OAU that got Q-170 said...wait for it... that he did not answer 2 questions in his 2nd QR. And it paid off because they ended up being the easy questions. I know someone else who got 18/20 in the first section and 14/20 in the second yet his composite Maths score came to 159 yet another with 16/20 and 16/20 got 163. If you are skilled enough to get the difficult questions right, this could be your kismet.

Thanks so much sir... I'm grateful!

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by RexCheeng: 2:26pm On Sep 04, 2017
Is there anyone here who recently sent GRE scores to a school via B.Y Mafit? I'd like to know if the deal is also a 'promo'.
Thanks.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 3:16pm On Sep 04, 2017
RexCheeng:
Is there anyone here who recently sent GRE scores to a school via B.Y Mafit? I'd like to know if the deal is also a 'promo'.
Thanks.

N8000? It is not a promo and I used it to send some of my score reports to atleast 5 or 6 schools. The rate was better for me because ETS charges $27 to send each score report which is still N8100 at N300/$ and I doubt banks charge that low.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by gokuu(m): 3:20pm On Sep 04, 2017
Scholastica16:

N8000? It is not a promo and I used it to send some of my score reports to atleast 5 or 6 schools. The rate was better for me because ETS charges $27 to send each score report which is still N8100 at N300/$ and I doubt banks charge that low.

Yeah. When I bought the MGRE practice questions, zenith charged N381/$. So makes great sense to pay N8000.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by gokuu(m): 3:21pm On Sep 04, 2017
We get to send up to four score reports at no charge right??
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by temmitats(f): 3:52pm On Sep 04, 2017
DreManuel:

Except you go to predominantly Black Colleges like Tuskegee University, you will always find yourself as a minority wherever you meet yourself in the States given the fact that the population of the US itself is predominantly white with ~14% black (including the likes of Vin Diesel). So I suggest you do not sweat the race thing. But it is there, and you can be mentally prepared for it especially if it would be the first time you would be exposed to such.

Again, we African Blacks tend to react differently to "racism" from African-Americans given their history in the US. So, you might want to go with an open mind and interact with all people the same whether Black, Yellow, Brown or White. And please don't assume every white is racist. I have met random White people who are more friendly than Blacks including fellow Africans in the States.

In addition, racism might be more predominant in the South such as Mississippi, Texas, Alabama, Tennessee, etc than the North and the Midwest. But there are racists everywhere such as there are tribalists in Nigeria (and can even be worse).

Wherever you go, just be proud of who you are. Perhaps, being the only Black in a class will give you the privilege to showcase the talents we have as a people.

In short, if you want to worry about racism, you should not worry about studying or living in the US!
Exactly my thoughts, I don't think it will phase me that much, I mean living in Nigeria is enough to toughen anyone up.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by temmitats(f): 3:56pm On Sep 04, 2017
Time2Smile:

I really have to respond to this. To me, his suggestion is just a load of bullshit. Let me put it this way, American universities represent the best of America in terms of tolerance, cospomolitan and progressive thinking. I think the least thing you should worry about is racism, especially in the university environment. Is there really any school in America in which the student body is not over 75% white except historically black colleges? Therefore if you want to study in the US, be prepared to be in the minority. Blacks are only 13% of American population and it becomes something like 5% on university campuses.

During my orientation, I was the only black person out of about 400 to 500 students in the hall. It was only on the second day that I saw a lady from Kenya and another American born Nigerian. I think I am also the only Black PhD student in my department, and this is at UT Dallas, a southern school.(Blacks make up a higher percentage of southern states population).

However, do I give a damn? Hell No. Do I feel different or inadequate? Of course not. Be confident and carry yourself with pride my lady.

I agree with you, Even I experience racism, I do not think that should be a significant factor in my choosing schools, funding is more important.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by temmitats(f): 3:57pm On Sep 04, 2017
gokuu:
Yes the scores we reported immediately after the test are at no charge.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DreManuel(m): 4:02pm On Sep 04, 2017
gokuu:

As long as it's sent immediately after the exams. Otherwise, the $27 charges apply.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by gokuu(m): 4:03pm On Sep 04, 2017
temmitats:
I agree with you, Even I experience racism, I do not think that should be a significant factor in my choosing schools, funding is more important.

Right. Funding is key. And BTW, Madison is heavily liberal and progressive.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by profem1(m): 4:04pm On Sep 04, 2017
hybeenoni:
Good evening all, I appreciate honest advice been given out to those in need of it.

I intend writing gre by 1st week of December and wish to be advised on schools that have reputations for funding.

Cgpa 4.22/5
Wes 3.37/4
BSc Mathematics
Proposed course Msc Actuarial science or Data science/Analytics

Major consideration is funding.

Would appreciate your usual kind advice
I also did math in my undergrad and applying to a mix of MSc and PhD, however, I'm concentrating on stochastic process/probability theory/financial mathematics.
I might not be able to recommend schools as regards your specialization. But you can check https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-science-schools/mathematics-rankings/page+1
You should focus on middle tier schools (<4.0) and their specific research areas.
All the best.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dawbbleOuEi: 4:04pm On Sep 04, 2017
Time2Smile:

Seem pretty clear to me. It means that there are two ways you can be admitted into the graduate program of the school.

1) You will be admitted to the department directly. It is highly likely you would have a specific research interest, contact the faculty and get their commitment to taking you as a student.

2.) The second is an interdepartment (if I can call it that) program involving all the departments that can be classified as as biomedical/health related. It gives you more flexibility in selecting your area of research and would probably admit higher number of students (with various science background) through this method.
Thank you so much. I got a similar picture. I guess I just wanted to hear your point of view and was hoping to get an advice alongside- as with which of the options is safe to go through with, seeing as it's unlike the everyday admission path into programs.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by gokuu(m): 4:05pm On Sep 04, 2017
temmitats:

Yes the scores we reported immediately after the test are at no charge.

Immediately after? Yikes.
I reported only two.

Anyways, actual application now is the main thing.
I'm in the works of trying to articulate my fit for the program.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by hybeenoni: 4:06pm On Sep 04, 2017
@ Paul beta and scholastics 16 I used the link for converting to WES evaluation, or I used a wrong link?

Could you plz give me a link to convert my cgpa to the WES scale.

Also how can what states are known to be generous with funding so I could narrow my search there, I wish to know how to link up with graduate students in Actuarial or Data Analytics masters program.

Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DreManuel(m): 4:10pm On Sep 04, 2017
gokuu:

Immediately after? Yikes.
I reported only two.

Anyways, actual application now is the main thing.
I'm in the works of trying to articulate my fit for the program.

The other two don go be that.

Prospective test takers can learn from this. It's a good idea to take the names of the first 4 schools you would like to apply to save yourself some bucks even if you don't apply to all four eventually. Like I reported four and ended up applying to just two.

(1) (2) (3) ... (277) (278) (279) (280) (281) (282) (283) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.