Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,293 members, 7,811,881 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:05 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (281) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1349282 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (278) (279) (280) (281) (282) (283) (284) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by profem1(m): 4:10pm On Sep 04, 2017
gokuu:

Rutgers University - Quantitative Finance
Fordham University
Carnegie Mellon University - Computational Finance
Columbia University - MFE
There are many others...
Most of these programmes hardly provide financial support. They consider it an investment on the part of the applicant.
I somehow agree with them but I don't think I want to take a student loan for it.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by gokuu(m): 4:19pm On Sep 04, 2017
profem1:

Most of these programmes hardly provide financial support. They consider it an investment on the part of the applicant.
I somehow agree with them but I don't think I want to take a student loan for it.
Yeah. That's what I was telling, it'll extremely hard to get funding for them.

But if not for them, what kind of programs can one take student loans?

For instance, the MFE programme at Baruch costs about 35k - but they have a first year pay average of 110k (excluding sign-on bonuses). And they have a 100% placement rate.

TBH, If I had a background in computer programming, I'd do it in a heart beat.

A former fellow intern went to the Columbia MFE programme right after our internship; and let's just say we're no longer on the same planet.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by gokuu(m): 4:21pm On Sep 04, 2017
Naturally, Nigerians do not like debt; at all.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by paulbets: 4:35pm On Sep 04, 2017
hybeenoni:
@ Paul beta and scholastics 16 I used the link for converting to WES evaluation, or I used a wrong link?

Could you plz give me a link to convert my cgpa to the WES scale.

Also how can what states are known to be generous with funding so I could narrow my search there, I wish to know how to link up with graduate students in Actuarial or Data Analytics masters program.

Thanks
Oh okay you used the free online calculator?
That's to give you rough estimate.
When you do the actual conversion with WES ICAP, your Nigerian GPA of 4.22/5.00 will definitely come out above the USA 3.52/4.00.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by profem1(m): 4:37pm On Sep 04, 2017
gokuu:
Naturally, Nigerians do not like debt; at all.
Lol. You're write though.

Apart from the loan, I don't think an MFE programme really suit my taste. A quant analyst would require more than the course work of an MFE.

Nevertheless, I might still opt for an MFE. I'm also considering the 5 years of doing a PhD on the other hand.
You're applying strictly to MFE programmes?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by gokuu(m): 4:44pm On Sep 04, 2017
profem1:

Apart from the loan, I don't think an MFE programme really suit my taste. A quant analyst would require more than the course work of an MFE.

Nevertheless, I might still opt for an MFE. I'm also considering the 5 years of doing a PhD on the other hand.
Nope. I am not applying to them.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by profem1(m): 4:54pm On Sep 04, 2017
profem1:

I also did math in my undergrad and applying to a mix of MSc and PhD, however, I'm concentrating on stochastic process/probability theory/financial mathematics.
I might not be able to recommend schools as regards your specialization. But you can check https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-science-schools/mathematics-rankings/page+1
You should focus on middle tier schools (<4.0) and their specific research areas.
All the best.
You can start with:
https://sciences.ucf.edu/statistics/graduate/ - I think they provide funding. You can confirm.
http://www.utdallas.edu/admissions/graduate/degrees/detail.php?d=1771
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by profem1(m): 4:55pm On Sep 04, 2017
gokuu:

Nope. I am not applying to them.
You are applying to finance or what?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by gokuu(m): 4:57pm On Sep 04, 2017
profem1:

You are applying to finance or what?
Regular finance programmes, not the super quanty type.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by temmitats(f): 5:06pm On Sep 04, 2017
gokuu:

Immediately after? Yikes.
I reported only two.

Anyways, actual application now is the main thing.
I'm in the works of trying to articulate my fit for the program.
Awwww,then you'll have to pay for the other scores to be sent, but honestly most of the scores we choose on that day we end up not applying there. At least for most cases I've seen here.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 5:18pm On Sep 04, 2017
hybeenoni:
@ Paul beta and scholastics 16 I used the link for converting to WES evaluation, or I used a wrong link?

Could you plz give me a link to convert my cgpa to the WES scale.

Also how can what states are known to be generous with funding so I could narrow my search there, I wish to know how to link up with graduate students in Actuarial or Data Analytics masters program.

Thanks

Some schools have names of students in the department but some others don't.

Your best bet is to use LinkedIn.

Type the name of school and course. The searchbox will bring out profiles of people doing such courses in the school. You can add them up and ask questions via email or otherwise.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 5:23pm On Sep 04, 2017
Yildiz, you owe us your 2nd GRE experience.

Nastydamus, we see you lurking in the shadows.

Bless us with your experience thus far over there and any tips you can give to prospective testtakers and school applicants.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanitoA1(m): 6:04pm On Sep 04, 2017
Become A Human Calculator, Solve Calculations Without Calculators

Learn how to solve calculations without the use of your calculator.
It is no longer a news that the trends of exams are changing, the use of calculators has been scrambled from many examination platform both at secondary and tertiary levels and so it is expedient to know how to solve very fast without the use of a calculator.
Below are some few examples of what the main package contains:

 Multiplication by 11

To multiply 52 and 11, imagine there is a space between 52

52*11= 5_2 (Put an imaginary space in between)

Now, lets fill the space;

Just add 5 and 2 and put the result in the imaginary space

So, 52 * 11 =572 (which is your answer)

Isn't it great?

Let’s try some more examples:

1) 35 * 11 = 3 (3+5) 5 = 385

2) 81 * 11 = 8 (8+1) 1 = 891

3) 72 * 11 = 7 (7+2) 2 = 792 etc..
With just a little bit of practice you can easily perform these simple mental maths tricks in the blink of an eye.

 Multiply any large number by 12 mentally in seconds

To multiply any number by 12 just double last digit and thereafter double each digit and add it to the next and right each result:
I know it sounds boring and senseless, just check the examples below to get it clearly;

For example 21314 * 12 = 255768

Let’s break it into simple steps:

Step 1: 021314 * 12 = _____8 (Double of Last Digit 4= 8 )

Step 2: 021314 * 12 = ____68 (Now Double 1= 2, and add it to 4, 2+4=6)
Step 3: 021314 * 12= ___768 (Now Double 3=6, and add it to 1, 6+1=7)

Step 4: 021314 * 12= __5768 (Now Double 1=2, and add it to 3, 2+3=5)

Step 5: 021314 * 12= _55768 (Now Double 2=4, and add it to 1, 4+1=5)

Step 6: 021314 * 12= 255768 (Now Double 0=0, and add it to 2, 0+2=2)

So your final answer of 21314 * 12 = 255768

 Is 456138 divisible by 9?

Now, it only takes 2 seconds for you to determine the answer. But if you go by the traditional way then it will take you 10 seconds. So you can see the difference. Those 8 extra seconds you win, you can spend on other question. Isn't it?

No let see the solution

(Answer) To test whether a certain large number is divisible by 9 or not, 'just add all the digits of the number and if the end result is divisible by 9, then you can say that the entire large number will be divisible by 9 too'.

4+5+6+1+3+8=27

Now since 27 is divisible by 9 so 456138 will be divisible by 9 too.

 Calculating Square of numbers quickly...
Squaring numbers is quit easy check the examples below:
Lets calculate the square of 54

So (54)^2 = 5^2 +4 -- 4^2 = 25 +4 ----16 =29-------16= 2916

Similarly (55)^2 = 5^2 +5 --5^2=25+5------25=30---------25= 3025

Similarly (56)^2 = 5^2 + 6--6^2=25+6------36= 31--------36= 3136 etc..

Similarly try out squares of 57, 58 etc..

Some of this might not make full sense to you for now, but I can assure that with the full Amazing mathematics Tricks E-book would give you all the explanations you need in a simple and clear way, try it out following the link below to get on Okada online book store:

Get the complete PDF for just #300 at http://okadabooks.com/book/about/amazing_mathematics_tricks/12739

You stand the chance to learn how to solve the following without the use of calculators:

> Addition Tricks
> Subtraction Tricks
> Multiplication Tricks
> Squaring of Numbers
> Square roots of Numbers, as well as
> cube roots of numbers and lot more.

http://okadabooks.com/book/about/amazing_mathematics_tricks/12739

Okada books permits Purchases using airtime, Thanks best regards.

11 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by RexCheeng: 6:21pm On Sep 04, 2017
Scholastica16:

N8000? It is not a promo and I used it to send some of my score reports to atleast 5 or 6 schools. The rate was better for me because ETS charges $27 to send each score report which is still N8100 at N300/$ and I doubt banks charge that low.
That's really good to hear, the last time I checked, banks still charge N360/$ (if anyone knows a cheaper source, biko, do tell). Thanks a bunch Scholastica16.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 7:26pm On Sep 04, 2017
RexCheeng:

That's really good to hear, the last time I checked, banks still charge N360/$ (if anyone knows a cheaper source, biko, do tell). Thanks a bunch Scholastica16.

RexCheeng

Sup
Bro
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by RexCheeng: 10:20pm On Sep 04, 2017
My G!
How's it going over there? Any good news for the house? smiley
tescoman90:

RexCheeng

Sup
Bro
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Greatmayok: 11:56pm On Sep 04, 2017
Scholastica16:

1. Google your program and append PhD to it.
2. Check out schools that offer it.
3. Look for a ranking of such schools (if you care about such)
4. Visit schools' websites and check for thesis interests that match your spec.
5. Take email of grad coord of the dept as well as names and email ads of persons of interest (that you may like to work with)
6. Most schools would already have it stated; if they offer full tuition waivers to all or some of their PhD applicants and even the size of the stipend per annum.
7. In any case you could then email the grad coords asking them about the funding policies of the school for PhDs, GRE/TOEFL requirements, if you need to contact POIs on your own, GPA requirements etc.
8. Based on above, you would know whether to proceed with the school or abandon it.
9. Subsequent to 1-8, you would have a list of schools to apply to. Fin.

Thanks a lot for the detailed feedback.
God Bless No Less.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Greatmayok: 11:59pm On Sep 04, 2017
hirschfelder:

Hello.. Your best bet will be to carry out the research by yourself. You can try gradcafe, type in your course and you can get a rough estimate of schools that fund and their general admission requirements based on past results posted. I don't know much about your program, but you can check schools in the MidWest like Iowa State U, Michigan State U and Kansas State U among many others. They usually have big agriculture related programs...

Noted bro. Many thanks. I will do as you have advised. Stay tops.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TheZed(m): 7:19am On Sep 05, 2017
Good morning everyone, I have written the gre twice now with my scores not greater than 300, But I still believe I can do better than that. Initially, I thought I would be able to convince my sponsor to believe in me a third time, so I can reschedule again for a date in November( Nov 2). But instead I got a text from him this morning that he isn't sure he can gather 50k from now till December for me. I don't know if anyone here can help me actualize my dream. I know it isn't encouraging to have taken the exam twice and not still scoring 300+. If I give it a trial again the third time and didn't get close to what will be sufficient for admission then I will give up. I will be forever grateful to anyone that helps me.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Yildiz: 11:02am On Sep 05, 2017
Scholastica16:
Yildiz, you owe us your 2nd GRE experience.

Nastydamus, we see you lurking in the shadows.

Bless us with your experience thus far over there and any tips you can give to prospective testtakers and school applicants.
Well I didn't write yet. Am planning on writing on 5th Nov. So far I have read Manhattan 1-6. Practiced with Magoosh android app. Vocabulary builder, Nova math bible and of course ETS materials. I haven't done any full test so far
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by LadunaI(m): 11:54am On Sep 05, 2017
profem1:

You are very right. It take more than MFE to be a sought after Quant.

Even with influx of PhDs into wall street lately especially those in STEM notably in Physics. They were hired for their rigorous research skills which can be deployed in finding Alpha or correct investment MODEL. Renaissance Technology comes to mind.

It's very rare finding funding for that kind course related field.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by LadunaI(m): 12:02pm On Sep 05, 2017
gokuu:

Regular finance programmes, not the super quanty type.

Just try and apply for PhD in your choosing career and do well, that will position you well for quant related job later. Is not necessarily have to be even in finance, but at least in STEM field.

If you're looking at long term prospect along this career path,then you need to get your hands dirty with lots of programming especially with modern languages use in data analytics like R, Python, Matlab etc.

What is that your friend in Columbia first degree, if I may ask?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 12:10pm On Sep 05, 2017
TheZed:
Good morning everyone, I have written the gre twice now with my scores not greater than 300, But I still believe I can do better than that. Initially, I thought I would be able to convince my sponsor to believe in me a third time, so I can reschedule again for a date in November( Nov 2). But instead I got a text from him this morning that he isn't sure he can gather 50k from now till December for me. I don't know if anyone here can help me actualize my dream. I know it isn't encouraging to have taken the exam twice and not still scoring 300+. If I give it a trial again the third time and didn't get close to what will be sufficient for admission then I will give up. I will be forever grateful to anyone that helps me.

Hello,

Are you keen on studying in USA only? If no, then why don't you apply to Canadian Universities? Most Canadian Universities do not require GRE and with your low GRE score, it will still go a long way in strengthening your application. If you have a high CGPA, I feel there is no need for you to retake GRE. The exam is only a part of your application. You can work on other parts like LOR, SOP and co. I got an admission offer with partial funding despite my low exam score (Though, I intend to retake the exam because I want full funding). @Ndawe was also admitted with full funding in two schools despite her low GRE score.

Anyway, you can send a PM to me. I can only support you with the part payment (if you can get someone to pay the rest).

@Scholastica16 (your good news is around the corner kiss) and DreManuel, you are both doing a great job on this thread.

N.B: I'm an old member with a new username wink

7 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DreManuel(m): 12:41pm On Sep 05, 2017
GlitteringStar:

Hello,

Are you keen on studying in USA only? If no, then why don't you apply to Canadian Universities? Most Canadian Universities do not require GRE and with your low GRE score, it will still go a long way in strengthening your application. If you have a high CGPA, I feel there is no need for you to retake GRE. The exam is only a part of your application. You can work on other parts like LOR, SOP and co. I got an admission offer with partial funding despite my low exam score (Though, I intend to retake the exam because I want full funding). @Ndawe was also admitted with full funding in two schools despite her low GRE score.

Anyway, you can send a PM to me. I can only support you with the part payment (if you can get someone to pay the rest).

I wish you the best!

@Scholastica16 (your good news is around the corner kiss) and DreManuel, you are both doing a great job on this thread.

You are a great person. Thanks for the compliments.
Ultimately, iron sharpens iron. And we cannot hold a torch to light another's path without brightening our own.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TheZed(m): 3:31pm On Sep 05, 2017
GlitteringStar:

Hello,

I wish you the best!

I am so grateful sir. Have sent you a pm
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 3:57pm On Sep 05, 2017
TheZed:

I am so grateful sir sis. Have sent you a pm

Lol @sir. cheesy I'm a lady oo. I've replied.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by thankyouJesus(m): 7:01pm On Sep 05, 2017
profem1:

You can start with:
https://sciences.ucf.edu/statistics/graduate/ - I think they provide funding. You can confirm.
http://www.utdallas.edu/admissions/graduate/degrees/detail.php?d=1771
At last.

Mathematics, here I come.
I sent you an email sir.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dayjeee(m): 7:59pm On Sep 05, 2017
Does anyone knows about the Millers Analogies Test(MAT)? I think is less mathematical for non science student
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 8:20pm On Sep 05, 2017
GlitteringStar kiss

Amen and thanks.

What was your GRE score? wink
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 8:39pm On Sep 05, 2017

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 9:53pm On Sep 05, 2017
grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:11pm On Sep 05, 2017

(1) (2) (3) ... (278) (279) (280) (281) (282) (283) (284) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.