Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,660 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:33 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (291) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1352306 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (288) (289) (290) (291) (292) (293) (294) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Alfred2000: 10:33pm On Sep 21, 2017
kaima2015:
drop email will send you the pdf copy
Hello, pls i also need a link to the copy of the GRE books..alfredanderson001@gmail.com..tanx in anticipation
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 5:52am On Sep 22, 2017
lolokike:
hello,
i am new here

please i would love to get more info as per the canadian universities.

i have a cgpa of 3.86/5. is that high enough? please kindly reply......also what do u mean by LOR, SOP

I really dont know much about schools in canada. However, taking the GRE test which i believe is not difficult; gives you the leverage you desire.
A 3.86/5.0cgpa upon conversion to 4.0/WES might well be higher than you think...depending on the school you finished from.
LOR...is a letter of recommendation...needed from your referees on behalf of you.
SOP...is a statement of purpose..written by you, stating the reasons why you want what you desire.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 3:08pm On Sep 22, 2017
Hello Gurus in the house. I emailed a Professor and fortunately he replied. This is his reply below:

Dear XXXX,

Thanks for your email. I would like to schedule a 1-hour skype interview with you. Please prepare a 30-minutes PowerPoint presentation covering all the research studies you have carried out so far and send back. We will then schedule the interview time.

Prof. XXXX
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have an idea of what he wants. However, this is the first time I am getting this kind of reply from a potential supervisor. I just need useful suggestions from you guys that will enhance my performance.I am a PhD applicant going in for Mechanical Engineering. Thanks a lot.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by obene12: 8:51pm On Sep 22, 2017
Inadvertent its a Msc student with no published research work and one is scheduled for an interview what do one prepare towards?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by obene12: 8:54pm On Sep 22, 2017
Working presently with some guys from B Y maft class, keep you guys posted

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 4:41am On Sep 23, 2017
obene12:
cant wait......this is awesome
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Gabrielclint(m): 7:50am On Sep 23, 2017
Good morning house, I have followed this thread for a while now, pls can anyone help me send PDF format of the materials needed to write GRE. I will so appreciate

gabrielclint2020@yahoo.com
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Whosentyou: 9:20am On Sep 23, 2017
Getting direct Ph.D is really giving me tough time without any research experience but I have 3 yrs work experience. My area of interest is micro grid or power electronics. My GPA is 4.67/5. Can someone help out please!

GRE to be written by December
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by temmitats(f): 11:10am On Sep 23, 2017
Quoran:
Hello Gurus in the house. I emailed a Professor and fortunately he replied. This is his reply below:

Dear XXXX,

Thanks for your email. I would like to schedule a 1-hour skype interview with you. Please prepare a 30-minutes PowerPoint presentation covering all the research studies you have carried out so far and send back. We will then schedule the interview time.

Prof. XXXX
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have an idea of what he wants. However, this is the first time I am getting this kind of reply from a potential supervisor. I just need useful suggestions from you guys that will enhance my performance.I am a PhD applicant going in for Mechanical Engineering. Thanks a lot.
This should be good news for you. If you have any publications talk about them, If not talk about your undergraduate project, if you carried out experiments,talk about the laboratories and the analysis of your results.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Battywonder(m): 12:55pm On Sep 23, 2017
Ecomagic:
Dear Friends,

I am working towards PhD Economics, I know MS is usually not funded, but if funded, I am willing. My scores are below
GPA 4.52 on 5
GRE 313 Q 160 V. 153 AWA 4
2 publications indexed in RePEc

What I need
I am aware nobody may search for school on my behalf, I know it is my responsibility. But I will be glad to have suggestions from you friends in the race, if you have any experience about any school, where you think my profile fits in, I will be glad to have your suggestions.

I have been researching too, just getting a lot of discouragement, some will state low scores, but by the time I check them out on Gradcafe, I wil still see a lot of rejections for the same profile they claim to accept, why? "big scores" also applied! some require low scores but have little to no money. Please help me

You have a good profile, Bro... I'm a graduate of Economics too... Check out TAMU College Station, they have a good funding policy for PhD Economics ... Í would suggest more when am less busy... Contact me on whatsApp (o8i426i37i7) If you don't mind writing a research paper with me... Goodluck
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Ecomagic: 2:00pm On Sep 23, 2017
Thank you so much bro, I'm going to contact you ASAP.

Battywonder:

You have a good profile, Bro... I'm a graduate of Economics too... Check out TAMU College Station, they have a good funding policy for PhD Economics ... Í would suggest more when am less busy... Contact me on whatsApp (o8i426i37i7) If you don't mind writing a research paper with me... Goodluck
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 3:08pm On Sep 23, 2017
Great job you guys are doing here, I am just catching up on the thread and only really have weekends to do that. Schedule has been really busy. I fully understand why PhD students have to be funded. You don't really have time for anything else.

I think I should be contributing more to this thread but bear with me biko. Shout out to Scholastica16, your posts are full of sagacity.

11 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 5:29pm On Sep 23, 2017
Thanks
temmitats:
This should be good news for you. If you have any publications talk about them, If not talk about your undergraduate project, if you carried out experiments,talk about the laboratories and the analysis of your results.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 6:16pm On Sep 23, 2017
Time2Smile:
Great job you guys are doing here, I am just catching up on the thread and only really have weekends to do that. Schedule has been really busy. I fully understand why PhD students have to be funded. You don't really have time for anything else.

I think I should be contributing more to this thread but bear with me biko. Shout out to Scholastica16, your posts are full of sagacity.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by badruu(m): 12:56am On Sep 24, 2017
dayjeee:
this is the link
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B2jZERjUXCHhZnB5T0tpY2ZyRmc

Pls sir...i tried downloading the Study pack for GRE using the google drive but its not going trough....kindly forward any material you get to lanre923@gmail.com...Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mikeayus(m): 8:10am On Sep 24, 2017
nice update bro..i like to be A part of the session

obene12:
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by obene12: 2:54pm On Sep 24, 2017

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Ifecrown: 3:05pm On Sep 24, 2017
HOYINDARMORLAR:
Hello everyone.
Special greetings my gurus and egbons in the house. I have been thinking about applying to graduate schools and writing gre for a while now. i have basically just been researching schools and not paying enough time to the actual test prep, i felt i could just do a few weeks rush-rush prep and ace it. Of course that quickly changed when i started going through this thread. I am looking at fall 2018 admissions, already have a list of schools and all that.
As advised on earlier pages of this thread, i took the powerprep test today, i haven't been preparing for GRE before, i just wanted to get a feel for the test.
V 161 Q140
I obviously need a lot of work on my quantitative aspect. I only have about 6 weeks to prepare. I have gone through the thread top to bottom(took me a week and several sleepless nights). It was totally worth it, the wealth of information here is just amazing. I have downloaded some of the materials and have links to others.

Here's my important question, what materials can i use to prep for these 6 weeks to strengthen my quantitative aspect?
I know this question has been asked over and over in many different formats, but i would greatly appreciate a response to mine too.
please can you share Tech schools(for Electrical Engineering) that you have come across, as it has been a nightmare for me searching for schools, and i intend to write my GRE Nov ending, Thanks.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dayjeee(m): 8:08pm On Sep 24, 2017
badruu:

Pls sir...i tried downloading the Study pack for GRE using the google drive but its not going trough....kindly forward any material you get to lanre923@gmail.com...Thanks
sent
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by amofum(m): 9:25pm On Sep 24, 2017
Apply to a top schl that has a professor withe either similar experience or funding which may require your experience, then thank me later.
Whosentyou:
Getting direct Ph.D is really giving me tough time without any research experience but I have 3 yrs work experience. My area of interest is micro grid or power electronics. My GPA is 4.67/5. Can someone help out please!

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DreManuel(m): 10:47pm On Sep 24, 2017
Whosentyou:

How is getting direct PhD giving you a tough time? Going by what you've written here, it seems you've not even applied to any schools yet. So what help do you need?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DexxyAlebs(m): 3:44am On Sep 25, 2017
Alfred2000:

My location is Enugu. Please am also interested in getting assitance of a GRE material whether hard or soft copy..thanks a bunch
where in Enugu are you?

PM me please

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by zaynabola: 10:03am On Sep 25, 2017
Hello guys, please i'll be taking the GRE exams in November and I've not had the time to study so much, held up with work. For maths I've been able to cover the GRE Math bible, for Verbal still studying the Grubber series and I've not done much on the Writing aspect. Please what do you advise for me to do now in other to get a high score for the exam

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aamstih: 1:12pm On Sep 25, 2017
Manhattan 5lb should come in for quant.

zaynabola:
Hello guys, please i'll be taking the GRE exams in November and I've not had the time to study so much, held up with work. For maths I've been able to cover the GRE Math bible, for Verbal still studying the Grubber series and I've not done much on the Writing aspect. Please what do you advise for me to do now in other to get a high score for the exam
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by zaynabola: 2:11pm On Sep 25, 2017
aamstih:

Manhattan 5lb should come in for quant.

Thanks but my V is still kinda poor any way i can ace this?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Yildiz: 3:04pm On Sep 25, 2017
Please anyone with an idea about UC San Diego for PhD ECE. What I mean acceptance rate, funding and stuff
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aamstih: 6:51pm On Sep 25, 2017
Which part of verbal are you struggling with?

zaynabola:

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 9:01pm On Sep 25, 2017
zaynabola:

Don't use grubber. Use Princeton, the ETS Guide and Magoosh videos. Learn the Process of Elimination method (POE); i.e writing down alphabets on your answer sheet and striking them one after the other till you arrive at one you are either not sure about, sure or cannot say. If that is the only option left, click it and move on.

Develop reading speed. Read bulky paragraphs slowly but once so you would not need to read them again to get the idea being expressed. If you get the gist of what you are reading POE would be easy for you.

Try to read the ETS guide, practice drill or PowerPrep II before the test day because no other material replicates the GRE quite like the testmakers themselves. If you study Grubber before you get into the hall, you would feel like you had been training to play Everton but got Barcelona instead.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 9:09pm On Sep 25, 2017
Yildiz:
Please anyone with an idea about UC San Diego for PhD ECE. What I mean acceptance rate, funding and stuff

I don't know much about the school but their engineering programs are rated well. Also, you won't have any issues with funding if you are admitted. The acceptance rate online says 25-30% for grad programs but it could be whittled down to something relatable to you if you contacted the grad coordinator for this information.

As a rule of thumb, I check the reddit pages of my prospective schools and then I also calculate a rough estimate of the acceptance rate by counting the rejects and accepts for PhD programs on grad cafe.

You may want to search 'UCSD or UC San Diego Electrical Engineering' on the grad cafe search box and make sure the search runs for all times. You can even know the profiles of some accepted/rejected students if you click that red diamond icon by the side.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Yildiz: 9:32pm On Sep 25, 2017
Thanks. So far they have the exact research am interested in.
Scholastica16:

I don't know much about the school but their engineering programs are rated well. Also, you won't have any issues with funding if you are admitted. The acceptance rate online says 25-30% for grad programs but it could be whittled down to something relatable to you if you contacted the grad coordinator for this information.

As a rule of thumb, I check the reddit pages of my prospective schools and then I also calculate a rough estimate of the acceptance rate by counting the rejects and accepts for PhD programs on grad cafe.

You may want to search 'UCSD or UC San Diego Electrical Engineering' on the grad cafe search box and make sure the search runs for all times. You can even know the profiles of some accepted/rejected students if you click that red diamond icon by the side.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by lumidey2013(m): 10:17am On Sep 26, 2017
Hello pals, been searching for a thread like this before now. Intend going for M.sc. Had a CGPA of 4.11/5.0. Graduate of materials and metallurgical Engineering.. I need someone to enlighten me on which of the exams to take and countries that accept them.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (288) (289) (290) (291) (292) (293) (294) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.