Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,956 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:55 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (357) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1352466 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (354) (355) (356) (357) (358) (359) (360) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Pampaya009(m): 2:13am On Apr 09, 2018
seeker88:

First, from those schools listed above, check their admission requirements to see which of them accept unofficial GRE scores for application review & admissions. I know RPI doesn’t require official GRE score from ETS in order to review your application...so for such school, don’t waste your money sending your GRE scores to them on exam day since you can always upload the unofficial score report to your application when the result becomes available on your profile. On the exam day, report your scores to schools that wouldn’t review your application without the official GRE straight from ETS.....by doing this, you’d save more on sending scores from ETS even after your test.

Now, since your focus is direct PhD from bachelors with full funding, I would suggest you consider some average schools considering your profile. Schools like UT Austin and Gatech are top notch, and for direct admission to PhD with funding, your profile also has to be top notch. I think Gatech even has a min GPA that u must have in order to be considered for funding and your GPA is a bit less than that.....you can check the details from their site. I’d suggest you give Gatech or UT Austin a try, perhaps not both. However, you can apply to both if you have too much money for graduate school applications. RPI is private and they are quite selective.
If I were you, I would have Montana State University on top of my list considering your focus. Also, West Virginia University, Mississippi State, and NJIT, then the very good universities too: UofFand UTK. You might also wanna throw one or two applications to the top notch schools....
Your list might look like this:
Montana state university at bozeman
West Virginia university Montgomery
New Jersey institute of technology
University of Mississippi
University of Tennessee at Knoxville
University of Florida

University of Texas as Austin
Georgia institute of Technology

Check those schools and identify the ones that accept unofficial GRE score for application review and act accordingly.

Disclaimer: This is only a suggestion. Your final choice depends wholly on you.
I wish you all the best in your GRE. Don’t forget to update us after your GRE with your scores.
Thanks alot, this is very useful.
I will definitely update the house on m score.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Shanid(m): 8:58am On Apr 09, 2018
eldee365:

Been a silent reader, Nice work you guys are doing here, came across this guy's post abi comment , he posted twice now, no response. don't know him tho.

cc: Scholastica16, Quoran, Ponpon

Help him out..

Continue the good work guys!

thank you sir, still waiting for response
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Shanid(m): 12:21pm On Apr 09, 2018
Pease I need an active GRE whatsaap group. Exam is fast approaching.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mfarad(m): 4:51pm On Apr 09, 2018
Shanid:
Pease I need an active GRE whatsaap group. Exam is fast approaching.

What exactly do you need a WhatsApp group for?
Have you checked greprep club?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Shanid(m): 7:50pm On Apr 09, 2018
mfarad:

What exactly do you need a WhatsApp group for?
Have you checked greprep club?
where is that
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by learner007(m): 8:52pm On Apr 09, 2018
Wishing all those writing their GRE tommorow good success

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Battywonder(m): 2:03am On Apr 10, 2018
Pampaya009:
Good morning and happy Sunday to you all.

Transcript:
HND & ND in Electrical and electronic engineering
GPA: 3.51/4.00 (WES evaluation)
GRE & TOEFL : preparing

Focus:
Direct PhD program with full funding and RA/TA

Schools on my list:
Rensselaer polytechnic institute
Illinois institute of technology
Georgia institute of technology
University of Florida
Utah State University

Question: Please I need gurus in the house to help me reduce these schools to best 6 and 4 respectively. I'm writing my GRE on Tuesday 10th of April, that's in 2days time. I will be sending my GRE score on the test day to the best 4 and I will be applying to best 6 in total.
I have you guys and I can't afford to make any silly mistakes. I want you to come up with the best 4/6 having in mind that my focus is direct PhD with full funding.

Please treat urgent as my test day is in 2days time.
Thanks God bless.

Wishing all those writing GRE today success.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 2:11am On Apr 10, 2018
Glocal1:
How is studies bro? I trust you are doing great. Hope you are now fully -funded. I wish you the best.
Boss!
Study is going smoothly, and I’m doing very well. Thanks for asking....
Trust you’re doing great too? I landed a GRA position few months after my arrival, 20hrs per week and it came with out-of-state tuition waiver, health insurance and monthly stipends. God has been faithful bro!
What’s good, how ur own side?

12 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by calmman: 4:46am On Apr 11, 2018
Hello everyone in here.
Please I would like to know if there is any GRE Testing centre in Ibadan, Oyo State and what could be said about it if there is. I am planning on registering to take the exam in June (been preparing for it since though).
Also, where are the testing centres in Lagos located? I want to consider a centre that would be easily accessible for me from where I reside.
I have searched everywhere for answers to my questions but couldn't find a valuable one.
Thank you in anticipation of your timely responses
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 7:13am On Apr 11, 2018
Hi Calmman
There is no center in Ibadan. There is one in Lagos - JKK at Ilupeju.
All th best in your exams
calmman:
Hello everyone in here.
Please I would like to know if there is any GRE Testing centre in Ibadan, Oyo State and what could be said about it if there is. I am planning on registering to take the exam in June (been preparing for it since though).
Also, where are the testing centres in Lagos located? I want to consider a centre that would be easily accessible for me from where I reside.
I have searched everywhere for answers to my questions but couldn't find a valuable one.
Thank you in anticipation of your timely responses
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by giztzone(m): 7:41am On Apr 11, 2018
PTDF scholarship Application ends 25th April.
Click here to see how you'll go about it http://www.jobnoticer.com/2018/03/20182019-petroleum-technology.html?m=1

Please rebroadcast this... You might be helping someone.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Glocal1: 9:15am On Apr 11, 2018
seeker88:

Boss!
Trust you’re doing great too? I landed a GRA position few months after my arrival, 20hrs per week and it came with out-of-state tuition waiver, health insurance and monthly stipends. God has been faithful bro!
I am glad to see this bro and I wish you the very best.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by certifiedfool: 12:13pm On Apr 11, 2018
certifiedfool:
Please, my people... I just completed my undergrad programme B.Agric Horticulture from Funaab, awaiting nysc but I want to start my preparations in earnest...

Pls, is does Msc get full funding or is it only PhD...
As I am not financially bouyant, what is my chance of getting a fully funded program in agriculture...

Can some suggest the page I can start reading this thread from to digest relevant info...

Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 1:37pm On Apr 11, 2018
Scholastica16:

It is real and if you get in, you won't need your sponsor's money.

Most of the people getting PhD admits on here have only their Bachelors.

PGRE is not a replacement for the general GRE. It just strengthens it. A lot of the folks you would meet on the various Physics grad school forums would have taken the PGRE so I think you should consider it.

Sponsors are great but I would not want you to rely on them. You don't want excuses when you are in the US and someone starts telling you stories that touch.

With a cgpa of 3.0 out of 5, can one get full funding on MSc? I'm about getting my master in production engineering would it be better I apply straight for PhD. My underG was mechanical engineering. Thank You
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Mikkyboy(m): 1:54pm On Apr 11, 2018
[quote author=certifiedfool post=66616803][/quote]
Please try to read everything on this thread don't be lazy about your future..........You want to go to the US to study start now.You'll see the questions you have to ask even in the future has been answered by someone here.please don't take this personal....Life isn't easy even in the US you have to struggle/ Work hard for almost everything in life except oxygen and sunlight.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 2:37pm On Apr 11, 2018
seeker88:

Boss!

What School Sir?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 3:02pm On Apr 11, 2018
Quoran:
Please do your research well. Michigan tech and Washington state are not straight forward in terms of funding. WSU usually require their engineering students resume first before they can be funded via TA. I got an RA after a long e-mail correspondence. I had to decline the offer for a better one.
Michigan Tech is a stingy school. You can apply if their application is still free. You can also apply to George Washington University. They waived their application fee for some of us who attended their webinar in December. They usually require some form of programming skills for engineering students. Focus on getting a good GRE Quant score and you will be admitted. They have scholarship for masters degree students and funding for PhD students too.

TAMUC is a good choice. I think they fund almost everyone admitted. I don't know about civil engineering but For Mechanical Engineering, those of us who have been admitted were funded.

Make sure you contact the departments/schools about funding. Many don't fund as they claim. By the way, funding is becoming hard to get. The more schools you apply to, the better your chances. Cheers
Please, I'm a mechanical engineering graduate, planning to come over for my master or PhD program strictly on full funding. Your post got me interested. Since we are of the same discipline, Please list of schools I have chances of getting full funding, TA etc. CGPA 3 out 5

Though, I'm getting my master degree in production engineering before the end of this year. I need your advice.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by umitech: 3:10pm On Apr 11, 2018
International Undergraduate Scholarships at Kent University in Uk

The University of Kent offers Future Leadership Scholarships of worth £2000 for the undergraduate scholarship program.”Future Leadership” grants of £2000 every year, for international undergraduate scholarships up to three years of study.To commend the dispatch of our BSc (Hons) Human Geography program we are welcoming applications to our Human Geography ‘Future Leadership’ grant rivalry.

The University of Kent is pleased to offer these grants to candidates to the BSc (Hons) Human Geography program initiating September 2019. The grants will be granted to candidates with a superb scholarly profile and an inspired spotlight on seeking a profession which gives answers to the world’s issues – potential ‘Future Leaders’.

The grant will be recharged on a yearly premise, for up to three years of scholarly investigation, subject to great scholastic advance. The grant is paid in three portions over the scholastic year, specifically into your UK financial balance. Applications are welcome from Home/EU and Overseas expense paying understudies.

read about this post visit : https://www.scholarshipcart.com/international-undergraduate-scholarships-at-kent-university-in-uk/
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by certifiedfool: 5:59pm On Apr 11, 2018
Mikkyboy:

Please try to read everything on this thread don't be lazy about your future..........You want to go to the US to study start now.You'll see the questions you have to ask even in the future has been answered by someone here.please don't take this personal....Life isn't easy even in the US you have to struggle/ Work hard for almost everything in life except oxygen and sunlight.
Thanks... I get

I already started reading from page 0
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by stainless91(m): 7:22pm On Apr 11, 2018
Pampaya009:

Transcript:

Focus:

Schools on my list:
University of Florida
Utah State University

Question: Please I need gurus in the house to help me reduce these schools to best 6 and 4 respectively. I'm writing my GRE on Tuesday 10th of April, that's in 2days time. I will be sending my GRE score on the test day to the best 4 and I will be applying to best 6 in total.
I have you guys and I can't afford to make any silly mistakes. I want you to come up with the best 4/6 having in mind that my focus is direct PhD with full funding.

Thanks God bless.

Hello bro. How was your exam? please kindly share your experience.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by stainless91(m): 7:25pm On Apr 11, 2018
Pampaya009:

Transcript:

Focus:

Schools on my list:
University of Florida
Utah State University

Thanks God bless.

Hello bro. how was your exam?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Predstan: 7:48pm On Apr 11, 2018
Gurus in the house. I need to activate kaplan prep plus book online and i got this question... How do i decode this "What is the last word of the sixth Chapter Objective on the Chapter 13 overview page?"
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Predstan: 8:28pm On Apr 11, 2018
Good evening gurus in the house
I registered for GRE today and my test date is on hold until i know i can actually face the screen. I need someone to give me a study plan or redirect me to a page where it is already discussed extensively. I have downloaded all the materials online and i have the hardcopy of Kaplan's prep plus 2018. I want to devote two months for the preparation

Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Shanid(m): 8:34pm On Apr 11, 2018
Predstan:
Good evening gurus in the house
I registered for GRE today and my test date is on hold until i know i can actually face the screen. I need someone to give me a study plan or redirect me to a page where it is already discussed extensively. I have downloaded all the materials online and i have the hardcopy of Kaplan's prep plus 2018. I want to devote two months for the preparation

Thanks
your whatsaap number ,let's study together
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by bolubej: 9:50pm On Apr 11, 2018
Any PhD public health student in the house?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 3:22am On Apr 12, 2018
BiggyB242:

What School Sir?
Texas A&M University-Kingsville
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 3:23am On Apr 12, 2018
Glocal1:
I am glad to see this bro and I wish you the very best.
Thanks bro. I wish you same too
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 6:17am On Apr 12, 2018
Hello bro. Honestly, you need to do more of the work yourself. Applying for a PhD isn't broadly about the school. It is more of looking at the department and potential supervisors, their funding situation etc. From my own understanding, only the very top schools fund automatically. Many give you admission first before they make funding decisions. In most cases, you need to contact them. From your profile, you should also be open to go for industrial engineering since your masters is in Production engineering. With a good GPA in your masters, good test scores and supporting documents you stand a good chance. Just that you need to do the search yourself. Also, you need to find out your specific area of interest. Mail potential supervisors. Sometimes , they won't give you the reply you desire but you tend to learn a thing or two about the admission processs.

By the way, what's your research interest or area?

BiggyB242:

Please, I'm a mechanical engineering graduate, planning to come over for my master or PhD program strictly on full funding. Your post got me interested. Since we are of the same discipline, Please list of schools I have chances of getting full funding, TA etc. CGPA 3 out 5

Though, I'm getting my master degree in production engineering before the end of this year. I need your advice.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 11:06am On Apr 12, 2018
Hello NLers,
The posts and materials placed here have been really helpful.
I have about 19 days to my GRE General exam and its anticipation is quite exhilarating! My intermittent practise over the past two months, has resulted in some improvement in my score (quite significant but not as expected)
Please I am open to any advise on what to focus on within the few days left.

Thanks grin
#Fall19
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Pampaya009(m): 12:16pm On Apr 12, 2018
Hi everyone,
I wrote my GRE on Tuesday and I was very disappointed in myself with the score.

I score a 281 and now am thinking of rewriting in the month of July. Relenting is not an option for me as I will be retiring and with God in my side, I promise this house to come back with a 310 at least....

I discovered that relenting on Baron alone may not guarantee a high score in the Quantitative and Kaplan alone cannot guarantee a 150+ score in the verbal section. Combining materials and going an extra mile is the best way to take one's shot at the GRE. Taking a lot of the "practice test" too and doing this sincerely will bring the success one desires.

Best of luck to persons who are yet to write their test. And for persons hoping to rewrite just like me, I wish you success in your scheduled plan.

Regards

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 12:32pm On Apr 12, 2018
seeker88:

Texas A&M University-Kingsville

hi bro, how're you doing?
will it be advisable to still apply to tamuk for fall 18 (i know the deadline for submission is around June 15).
your thought will be appreciated.
Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 12:49pm On Apr 12, 2018
Quoran:
Hello bro. Honestly, you need to do more of the work yourself. Applying for a PhD isn't broadly about the school. It is more of looking at the department and potential supervisors, their funding situation etc. From my own understanding, only the very top schools fund automatically. Many give you admission first before they make funding decisions. In most cases, you need to contact them. From your profile, you should also be open to go for industrial engineering since your masters is in Production engineering. With a good GPA in your masters, good test scores and supporting documents you stand a good chance. Just that you need to do the search yourself. Also, you need to find out your specific area of interest. Mail potential supervisors. Sometimes , they won't give you the reply you desire but you tend to learn a thing or two about the admission processs.

By the way, what's your research interest or area?

Okay, thanks for your reply. I will definitely do my homework.
How about for a master program, guess you are a mechanical engineer. Actually, my interest is "full funding", funny but is the truth. With a cgpa of 3 out of 5 my choices are slim, not even the school ranking is of interest.

If I'm to have a reseach interest design/automation.

(1) (2) (3) ... (354) (355) (356) (357) (358) (359) (360) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.