Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,003 members, 7,817,966 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:19 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (358) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1352478 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (355) (356) (357) (358) (359) (360) (361) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 12:53pm On Apr 12, 2018
Pampaya009:
Hi everyone,
I wrote my GRE on Tuesday and I was very disappointed in myself with the score.

I score a 281 and now am thinking of rewriting in the month of July. Relenting is not an option for me as I will be retiring and with God in my side, I promise this house to come back with a 310 at least....

I discovered that relenting on Baron alone may not guarantee a high score in the Quantitative and Kaplan alone cannot guarantee a 150+ score in the verbal section. Combining materials and going an extra mile is the best way to take one's shot at the GRE. Taking a lot of the "practice test" too and doing this sincerely will bring the success one desires.

Best of luck to persons who are yet to write their test. And for persons hoping to rewrite just like me, I wish you success in your scheduled plan.

Regards

What did it cost you, 45k?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by paulbets: 2:21pm On Apr 12, 2018
Pampaya009
It took a lot of courage to post your low GRE score here, given that most scores posted here are usually above 300 and some getting close to 330.
The truth I want to tell you is that, the GRE is a tough exam and one is most likely to come out with an abysmal score if they prepared in a month or less. Also, preparing with technically insufficient materials is another straight way to scoring well below 300.

That been said, I want to encourage you to write another GRE test, and to give yourself at least 3 months for intensive preparation. Remember the Fall 2019 cycle you are targetting is still far; the applications become active from around October.
You also need to prepare with adequate materials; and so many have been mentioned in this thread.. Thus you will need to search for them.
Materials like
Manhattan 8 strategy series
GRE official guide
NOVA GRE Bible
Magoosh videos (which the link has been shared here, please search for it).
And other materials you will come across in this thread.
Do a lot of timed practice tests online.

Please endeavour to read this thread well for study guides, strategy and materials.
You could check all posts by Scholastica16, Akatovic, Time2smile etc.
I am confident that with enough preparation with good materials, you will score well above 300 in your next try.

Another advice; in this pursuit for US Admission, you will have to do a lot of personal research and use peoples experiences shared here and else where. Browse and research very well about your schools of interest; lookout for faculties of interest that works on your area of interest; call the program coordinator of the course you want to know more about and also do not hesitate to call any faculty you like his or her work on the phone.
You should send emails for enquiries or to show interest; but always follow it up with a phone call. You can also call first. Whenever you call, if the call goes to voicemail, do not be shy to leave a short voice mail on why you called and nudging them to reply your mail.

It's a tough process; but you will end up loving the experience.
You have my best wishes

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Johnolukolade(m): 2:27pm On Apr 12, 2018
Hisvoice:
Admission update. PhD in Biology
University of Utah - rejected (No POI contact)
University of Alabama (Tulascoosa) - rejected
Northern Illinois University - accepted. Negotiating funding.
#dontgiveup
Bro, I got into NIU too, I mailed you already.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jelmusboy(m): 3:16pm On Apr 12, 2018
Is there anyone here who applied to ETSU?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by smoothblaise(m): 12:19am On Apr 13, 2018
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
you need proper preparation for your GRE as paulbets clearly stated. also here is a link to download the magoosh practice and solutions videos and other materials---- https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-ii97JplpxMdzhHNnYxSUlPOEE

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 2:26am On Apr 13, 2018
nelem:

hi bro, how're you doing?
will it be advisable to still apply to tamuk for fall 18 (i know the deadline for submission is around June 15).
your thought will be appreciated.
Thanks
I’m doing great and thanks for asking.
Yes. You can still apply to Tamuk for fall 2018. However, your chances of getting the graduate scholarship and out-of-state tuition waiver would be slim. Again, it depends on the program you are applying to....what program do you intend applying to?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 7:52am On Apr 13, 2018
seeker88:
what program do you intend applying to?
industrial engineering....graduate studies
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 9:42am On Apr 13, 2018
Masters degree funding is hard. From what I see on Gradcafe, it is really hard. PhD is the sure way to go but then , don't do a PhD if you don't have interest in research. Have you considered Canada? They fund their masters degree students though it is usually competitive.
BiggyB242:

Okay, thanks for your reply. I will definitely do my homework.
How about for a master program, guess you are a mechanical engineer. Actually, my interest is "full funding", funny but is the truth. With a cgpa of 3 out of 5 my choices are slim, not even the school ranking is of interest.

If I'm to have a reseach interest design/automation.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 11:21am On Apr 13, 2018
Quoran:
Masters degree funding is hard. From what I see on Gradcafe, it is really hard. PhD is the sure way to go but then , don't do a PhD if you don't have interest in research. Have you considered Canada? They fund their masters degree students though it is usually competitive.

I will do research if that's all it takes to get funding bro, "I can do all things through Christ that strengthens me". Talking about Canada they usually need account statement over 10million but for US it can be bypass, or is there is anyway around it.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ORI1(m): 12:35pm On Apr 13, 2018
Good day house, I'm new on this thread. Much gratitude to the OP and other contributors to this thread. Its been so helpful.
Please i need advise on how best to go about my preparation for the GRE. I've been following the tips given on this thread buh e long gan(still on page 38). Also this thread started 2014 so some things might have changed by now. I got some materials from this thread but couldn't get some cause the links have expired. So i also need help with the necessary materials. If you can, please share with me. I stay in Lagos and I don't mind meeting you to get it(if you stay in lag). In case peeps are still added to the Facebook grp, please add me.
Btw my email is femimckonzy@yahoo.com
Thanks and God bless.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by lekanlaniyan(m): 1:36pm On Apr 13, 2018
I want to start following this thread .

Am planning of going for my Phd and I need a write and pass GRE.

Thanks for any additional information.

I want to start from page 1.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 6:05pm On Apr 13, 2018
nelem:

industrial engineering....graduate studies
Considering the timelines in applying, getting admission decision, getting I-20, going to the embassy for visa, etc.....you may not be able to meet up with the whole processes considering the school’s resumption time in August. However, if you feel you can meet up, you may give a try.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 6:24pm On Apr 13, 2018
Hi everyone,

Good to be here!

I thought I'd share two generous funding opportunities for grad school with the house.

1) EducationUSA Opportunity Funds Program (OFP)
. Closes June 30.
What they're looking for: Preferably STEM majors with 4.5 or higher undergrad GPA with demonstrated financial need. They'll assist you in the application process, and provide funds (on a case-by-case basis) to apply and get admitted.
Note: Even if you don't have a first class but preferably over 4.0, apply still. But be ready to demonstrate that you're insanely passionate about going to grad school and simply don't have the resources to do so.

Application page: https://ng.usembassy.gov/education-culture/exchange-programs/opportunity-fund/

2) Knight Hennessy Scholarship Program at Stanford
. Applications for 2019 classes close September 12, 2018.
Definitely more competitive, they'll fund your grad school for up to 3 years at Stanford. But you must be admitted to a program at Stanford at the same time, else you won't be eligible. A long shot, but if you had a very high undergrad GPA (even with weak extracurricular activities), it's definitely a shot worth taking. No application fees, and if selected, all your fees are catered for, plus flight expenses covered.

Eligibility criteria: https://knight-hennessy.stanford.edu/admission/eligibility

Best.

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 6:26pm On Apr 13, 2018
ORI1:
Good day house, I'm new on this thread. Much gratitude to the OP and other contributors to this thread. Its been so helpful.
Please i need advise on how best to go about my preparation for the GRE. I've been following the tips given on this thread buh e long gan(still on page 38). Also this thread started 2014 so some things might have changed by now. I got some materials from this thread but couldn't get some cause the links have expired. So i also need help with the necessary materials. If you can, please share with me. I stay in Lagos and I don't mind meeting you to get it(if you stay in lag). In case peeps are still added to the Facebook grp, please add me.
Btw my email is femimckonzy@yahoo.com
Thanks and God bless.

Hi,

If you have a gmail account, I can share the materials with you on Google Drive.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ORI1(m): 7:09pm On Apr 13, 2018
Thanks, my gmail is femimckonzy@gmail.com
Btw, have you guys heard of the USA Opportunity Funds Program (OFP). It helps graduates with the application fees and all buh its very competitive sha. Y'all should check it out. In case anyone is a recipient/has info about the program, please holla. Make boys glean small from your knowledge.
Cheers.
happyday:

Hi,

If you have a gmail account, I can share the materials with you on Google Drive.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Harbhmborlar(m): 7:51pm On Apr 13, 2018
Finally done reading the thread... Kudos to you guys, you have all done well. Anyways, I need a study mate in Osogbo. Holla if your in Osg and need ginger for the exam. I still have five months to prepare
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Daint: 11:04pm On Apr 13, 2018
paulbets:
Pampaya009
It took a lot of courage to post your low GRE score here, given that most scores posted here are usually above 300 and some getting close to 330.
The truth I want to tell you is that, the GRE is a tough exam and one is most likely to come out with an abysmal score if they prepared in a month or less. Also, preparing with technically insufficient materials is another straight way to scoring well below 300.

That been said, I want to encourage you to write another GRE test, and to give yourself at least 3 months for intensive preparation. Remember the Fall 2019 cycle you are targetting is still far; the applications become active from around October.
You also need to prepare with adequate materials; and so many have been mentioned in this thread.. Thus you will need to search for them.
Materials like
Manhattan 8 strategy series
GRE official guide
NOVA GRE Bible
Magoosh videos (which the link has been shared here, please search for it).
And other materials you will come across in this thread.
Do a lot of timed practice tests online.

Please endeavour to read this thread well for study guides, strategy and materials.
You could check all posts by Scholastica16, Akatovic, Time2smile etc.
I am confident that with enough preparation with good materials, you will score well above 300 in your next try.

Another advice; in this pursuit for US Admission, you will have to do a lot of personal research and use peoples experiences shared here and else where. Browse and research very well about your schools of interest; lookout for faculties of interest that works on your area of interest; call the program coordinator of the course you want to know more about and also do not hesitate to call any faculty you like his or her work on the phone.
You should send emails for enquiries or to show interest; but always follow it up with a phone call. You can also call first. Whenever you call, if the call goes to voicemail, do not be shy to leave a short voice mail on why you called and nudging them to reply your mail.

It's a tough process; but you will end up loving the experience.
You have my best wishes

This is true. I prepared in 2 weeks and had 305 still hoping if I qualify for schools requirement it's been disturbing since and JKK house had network issues the whole test experience wasn't fun
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 7:10am On Apr 14, 2018
You are right.... OFP is a very competitive and dope something. Do you have any publication? Did you finish from a public university?
I applied last year but did not make it to the final stage.
ORI1:

Thanks, my gmail is femimckonzy@gmail.com
Btw, have you guys heard of the USA Opportunity Funds Program (OFP). It helps graduates with the application fees and all buh its very competitive sha. Y'all should check it out. In case anyone is a recipient/has info about the program, please holla. Make boys glean small from your knowledge.
Cheers.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 7:13am On Apr 14, 2018
I am in Osogbo too but not writing GRE sha. Do you have enough materials, if no, I may get you some. More ginger bro and I wish you success in your exams and future endeavors
Harbhmborlar:
Finally done reading the thread... Kudos to you guys, you have all done well. Anyways, I need a study mate in Osogbo. Holla if your in Osg and need ginger for the exam. I still have five months to prepare
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Shanid(m): 8:18am On Apr 14, 2018
Jumybecks:
I am in Osogbo too but not writing GRE sha. Do you have enough materials, if no, I may get you some. More ginger bro and I wish you success in your exams and future endeavors
i need materials too ,I will appreciate if you can help me with any ...thank you
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ORI1(m): 8:47am On Apr 14, 2018
Jumybecks:
You are right.... OFP is a very competitive and dope something. Do you have any publication? Did you finish from a public university?
I applied last year but did not make it to the final stage.
Nah, no publications but I finished from Unilag. How was the application process like?
Thanks guys, I have seen the GRE documents.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:05am On Apr 14, 2018
Where are you bro? I have a very limited access to the Internet at the moment
Shanid:
i need materials too ,I will appreciate if you can help me with any ...thank you
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:10am On Apr 14, 2018
The application process simulates normal grad app. You must be in dire need of the financial support and you must show it. They are using the avenue to help those that are financially incapacitated.
I think you'd be required to write two essays and submit a number of documents. All the best in your application.
ORI1:

Nah, no publications but I finished from Unilag. How was the application process like?
Thanks guys, I have seen the GRE documents.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ORI1(m): 10:21am On Apr 14, 2018
Thanks man. I appreciate. By the way, it says that GRE results are recommended for engineering students. Does this mean that I have to get my GRE results by the June 30 deadline?
Jumybecks:
The application process simulates normal grad app. You must be in dire need of the financial support and you must show it. They are using the avenue to help those that are financially incapacitated.
I think you'd be required to write two essays and submit a number of documents. All the best in your application.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 11:15am On Apr 14, 2018
My pleasure.
Yes it ought to get them before June 30th..... But I'd advise you not to rush yourself to take GRE if you have no intention of taking it before their deadline. You may want to focus well on other areas of the application - the essays are very important.
ORI1:
Thanks man. I appreciate. By the way, it says that GRE results are recommended for engineering students. Does this mean that I have to get my GRE results by the June 30 deadline?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by fame12k(m): 11:38am On Apr 14, 2018
Shanid:
Pease I need an active GRE whatsaap group. Exam is fast approaching.

I hope u have gotten an active whatsapp group? If NO chat me up on whatsapp at 0.8.0.3.9.4.1.1.4.4.4

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 12:12pm On Apr 14, 2018
If you have really good grades, try the Knight Hennessy Scholarship Program. With good test scores, good application essays and supporting documents, you can get it. Someone from Unilag made the list last year. The funding is generous also.

happyday:
Hi everyone,

Good to be here!

I thought I'd share two generous funding opportunities for grad school with the house.

1) EducationUSA Opportunity Funds Program (OFP)
. Closes June 30.
What they're looking for: Preferably STEM majors with 4.5 or higher undergrad GPA with demonstrated financial need. They'll assist you in the application process, and provide funds (on a case-by-case basis) to apply and get admitted.
Note: Even if you don't have a first class but preferably over 4.0, apply still. But be ready to demonstrate that you're insanely passionate about going to grad school and simply don't have the resources to do so.

Application page: https://ng.usembassy.gov/education-culture/exchange-programs/opportunity-fund/

2) Knight Hennessy Scholarship Program at Stanford
. Applications for 2019 classes close September 12, 2018.
Definitely more competitive, they'll fund your grad school for up to 3 years at Stanford. But you must be admitted to a program at Stanford at the same time, else you won't be eligible. A long shot, but if you had a very high undergrad GPA (even with weak extracurricular activities), it's definitely a shot worth taking. No application fees, and if selected, all your fees are catered for, plus flight expenses covered.

Eligibility criteria: https://knight-hennessy.stanford.edu/admission/eligibility

Best.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ORI1(m): 12:48pm On Apr 14, 2018
Can I pm you bro, so that I don't derail the purpose of this thread.
Jumybecks:
My pleasure.
Yes it ought to get them before June 30th..... But I'd advise you not to rush yourself to take GRE if you have no intention of taking it before their deadline. You may want to focus well on other areas of the application - the essays are very important.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 1:51pm On Apr 14, 2018
Please do
ORI1:
Can I pm you bro, so that I don't derail the purpose of this thread.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by bayocanny: 3:40pm On Apr 14, 2018
happyday:

Hi,

Pls share with me as well
Yusufflolade335@gmail.com

Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by bayocanny: 3:43pm On Apr 14, 2018
Jumybecks:
Baba, I need the materials as well
Kindly send it to my mail abeg
Yusufflolade335@gmail.com

Thanks bro
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by bayocanny: 3:44pm On Apr 14, 2018
@Libber I salute your ruggedness you are everywhere like volkswagen lol

(1) (2) (3) ... (355) (356) (357) (358) (359) (360) (361) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.