Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,927 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:08 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (383) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1352446 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (380) (381) (382) (383) (384) (385) (386) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 8:59am On Jun 28, 2018
Sure
kaydp:
Hi @Quoran. Still expecting the update on quantitative section of the GRE. Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 9:00am On Jun 28, 2018
GRE QUANT TIPS
1.In Quantitative Comparison questions, try numbers in this order: 0,1,2,-2,1/2. I learned this from NOVA GRE book. It works just fine.
2.Quantitative Comparison questions are half of a GRE Quant section (10 in number).
3.In Quantitative Comparison questions, before you select an answer, try at least two numbers.
4.Know the rules of divisibility. It will help.
5.Pay special attention to words like ‘the greatest possible’ in quantitative comparison questions. For instance, the greatest possible number of points common to a triangle and a circle is ____? It is more likely than many of us will pick three. Six points is also possible. Just remember that the triangle must not be inscribed in the circle. Six points will pass through the circumference.
6.Do not assume more than what is given especially in Quantitative Comparison questions.
7.Special triangles: 30-60-90 :1:√3:2;45-45-90:1:1:√2 ; The longer the side, the larger the angle opposite it and vice versa.
8.Supplementary angles 180, Complementary angles 90. Parallel lines have the same slope. Perpendicular lines – Negative reciprocal of the original line. (This appeared on my GRE). Know the equation of a line in different forms.
9.Learn all those Mensuration stuff.
10.Once a calculation is going on for too long, check your method again. There might be something wrong.
11.Be careful when multiplying or dividing by a negative number in inequality problems. Never do this in a Quantitative Comparison question.
12. PEMDAS – Parentheses-Exponents-Division-Mulitplication-Addition-Subtraction.
13.Integer 0 is neither positive nor negative.
14. 0 to 9 inclusive is 10 integers.
15. If a is even, b is odd, then a+2b is even, 2a+b is odd, ab is even etc. These kinds of questions are common.
16.P(A or B) =P(A) + P(B) Mutually exclusive ; P(A or B) =P(A) + P(B) –P(A and B) Independent
17.Know Mean, mode and median and how numbers can affect them.
18.In word problems, use 100 for percentages. Do not use a number if the word problem has a fraction. I think Princeton Review covers this.
19.How many multiples of 7 are there between 100 and 150? 7 not 6. 147-105=42. 42/7 =6. 6+1 =7.
20.10 evenly spaced tick marks on a number line is 9 intervals not 10.
21.Any three consecutive integers will always contain a multiple of 3.
22. Rate x Time = Distance. Draw a table and solve all rate questions like this. Manhattan covers this well.
23. Pay attention to units, scales and values along the X and Y axes in graphs.
24. Average degree per side = (180(n-2))/n.
25.0 is a number.
26.How many square pieces can you get from a board of 18 by 30 inches without wasting any of the board? Answer: 15. Greatest divisor of 18 and 30 is 6. 18/6=3; 30/6=5; 3X5 =15. (Simple questions like this can waste your time).
27.Increase something by 250% is 3.5 times the number not 2.5 times the number.
28.Standard deviation questions are not usually difficult. Just know how it affects the mean.
29.Study the Official GRE test guide. You will not go wrong if you follow it strictly. Use other books (Magoosh, Manhattan, Princeton) for more tips , tricks and sample questions.
30.The key to scoring well on the GRE is to do well in the first section. The first section is usually easy (Assuming you prepared really well). This section is easy but tricky. If you practice well enough, you will observe that this is the section were you will finish with time to spare. On your sketch paper, I will advise that you solve your questions sequentially. Peradventure you need to go back to a question or review it, you can easily track your mistakes.
31. Pace well. Do not spend too much time on a particular question. I finished with some minutes to spare. I was able to review up to 10 questions and I can remember changing my mind on two answers I had previously selected. I did score 20/20 in that section.
32.Do not waste time on any question. This is very easy to say really. I made the same mistake in my second section. I wasted time on the first few questions as they were difficult. This affected my score. I noticed the easier questions were at the bottom.
33. The GRE is section adaptive. If you do well in the first section, you get a more difficult second section and vice-versa. This is aimed at making test takers get at least 150 marks. It follows a normal distribution. Those doing well are ‘dragged’ to 150. Those not scoring well are ‘helped’ to 150. (Additional probably unnecessary information lol).
34.From proven research, for you to get a more difficult second section, you need to score at least 14 in the Quant and 12 in the Verbal. The more difficult section carries more weight than a normal section. The more difficult questions you get correctly in the second section, you more points you have.
35.The scoring is not linear. I had 20 in the first section and 15 in the second section yet I had 166. In my Verbal, I had 14/20 in both sections yet I scored 161. Same thing I noticed with my friends and in my first attempt.
36.If you score 10/20 in the first Quant section and 16/20 in the next section, you will score 153. If you score 16/20 in the first section and 10/20 in the section, you will score 156. DO YOUR BEST IN THE FIRST SECTION. Verbal is more difficult than the Quant.
37.Peradventure you do not do well in the first section (You will know because the questions will be easy; It happened to me during my first attempt), you can still blast the second section. Just take it easy and do you best.
38.The on screen calculator can slow you down. Use it only if you really need it.
39.You can learn to back-solve questions. It helps when you are clueless on how to solve certain questions. I think Princeton covers this a lot.
40.I make mistakes more when I rush and do not take time to read the question well. Do not also try to solve questions mentally. Write it down to avoid errors.
41. Do a lot of practice tests. Under normal conditions, we will all score well. A timed practice test is the real deal. PowerPrep, Manhattan, Kaplan are good in this regard.
42. The GRE has a structure: For the Quant, you get 4 easy questions, 12 medium questions and 4 hard questions on your first section. Look at the Official GRE guide for more on question difficulty.
43.Some people are that good that some tips did not work for them. If you are like me that needed to retake the test, you have to pay attention to many things to avoid getting the same poor score.
44.By the way, there is nothing like a bad score. It all depends on what you want to use it for.
All the best folks. Pardon my errors.

49 Likes 22 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dollyptosh(m): 10:26am On Jun 28, 2018
Quoran:
GRE QUANT TIPS
1.In Quantitative Comparison questions, try numbers in this order: 0,1,2,-2,1/2. I learned this from NOVA GRE book. It works just fine.
2.Quantitative Comparison questions are half of a GRE Quant section (10 in number).
3.In Quantitative Comparison questions, before you select an answer, try at least two numbers.
5.Pay special attention to words like ‘the greatest possible’ in quantitative comparison questions. For instance, the greatest possible number of points common to a triangle and a circle is ____? It is more likely than many of us will pick three. Six points is also possible. Just remember that the triangle must not be inscribed in the circle. Six points will pass through the circumference.
6.Do not assume more than what is given especially in Quantitative Comparison questions.
7.Special triangles: 30-60-90 :1:√3:2;45-45-90:1:1:√2 ; The longer the side, the larger the angle opposite it and vice versa.
8.Supplementary angles 180, Complementary angles 90. Parallel lines have the same slope. Perpendicular lines – Negative reciprocal of the original line. (This appeared on my GRE). Know the equation of a line in different forms.
10.Once a calculation is going on for too long, check your method again. There might be something wrong.
11.Be careful when multiplying or dividing by a negative number in inequality problems. Never do this in a Quantitative Comparison question.
12. PEMDAS – Parentheses-Exponents-Division-Mulitplication-Addition-Subtraction.
15. If a is even, b is odd, then a+2b is even, 2a+b is odd, ab is even etc. These kinds of questions are common.
16.P(A or B) =P(A) + P(B) Mutually exclusive ; P(A or B) =P(A) + P(B) –P(A and B) Independent
18.In word problems, use 100 for percentages. Do not use a number if the word problem has a fraction. I think Princeton Review covers this.
19.How many multiples of 7 are there between 100 and 150? 7 not 6. 147-105=42. 42/7 =6. 6+1 =7.
22. Rate x Time = Distance. Draw a table and solve all rate questions like this. Manhattan covers this well.
25.0 is a number.
26.How many square pieces can you get from a board of 18 by 30 inches without wasting any of the board? Answer: 15. Greatest divisor of 18 and 30 is 6. 18/6=3; 30/6=5; 3X5 =15. (Simple questions like this can waste your time).
28.Standard deviation questions are not usually difficult. Just know how it affects the mean.
29.Study the Official GRE test guide. You will not go wrong if you follow it strictly. Use other books (Magoosh, Manhattan, Princeton) for more tips , tricks and sample questions.
30.The key to scoring well on the GRE is to do well in the first section. The first section is usually easy (Assuming you prepared really well). This section is easy but tricky. If you practice well enough, you will observe that this is the section were you will finish with time to spare. On your sketch paper, I will advise that you solve your questions sequentially. Peradventure you need to go back to a question or review it, you can easily track your mistakes.
31. Pace well. Do not spend too much time on a particular question. I finished with some minutes to spare. I was able to review up to 10 questions and I can remember changing my mind on two answers I had previously selected. I did score 20/20 in that section.
32.Do not waste time on any question. This is very easy to say really. I made the same mistake in my second section. I wasted time on the first few questions as they were difficult. This affected my score. I noticed the easier questions were at the bottom.
33. The GRE is section adaptive. If you do well in the first section, you get a more difficult second section and vice-versa. This is aimed at making test takers get at least 150 marks. It follows a normal distribution. Those doing well are ‘dragged’ to 150. Those not scoring well are ‘helped’ to 150. (Additional probably unnecessary information lol).
34.From proven research, for you to get a more difficult second section, you need to score at least 14 in the Quant and 12 in the Verbal. The more difficult section carries more weight than a normal section. The more difficult questions you get correctly in the second section, you more points you have.
35.The scoring is not linear. I had 20 in the first section and 15 in the second section yet I had 166. In my Verbal, I had 14/20 in both sections yet I scored 161. Same thing I noticed with my friends and in my first attempt.
36.If you score 10/20 in the first Quant section and 16/20 in the next section, you will score 153. If you score 16/20 in the first section and 10/20 in the section, you will score 156. DO YOUR BEST IN THE FIRST SECTION. Verbal is more difficult than the Quant.
37.Peradventure you do not do well in the first section (You will know because the questions will be easy; It happened to me during my first attempt), you can still blast the second section. Just take it easy and do you best.
38.The on screen calculator can slow you down. Use it only if you really need it.
39.You can learn to back-solve questions. It helps when you are clueless on how to solve certain questions. I think Princeton covers this a lot.
40.I make mistakes more when I rush and do not take time to read the question well. Do not also try to solve questions mentally. Write it down to avoid errors.
41. Do a lot of practice tests. Under normal conditions, we will all score well. A timed practice test is the real deal. PowerPrep, Manhattan, Kaplan are good in this regard.
42. The GRE has a structure: For the Quant, you get 4 easy questions, 12 medium questions and 4 hard questions on your first section. Look at the Official GRE guide for more on question difficulty.
43.Some people are that good that some tips did not work for them. If you are like me that needed to retake the test, you have to pay attention to many things to avoid getting the same poor score.
44.By the way, there is nothing like a bad score. It all depends on what you want to use it for.

Well detailed information. Thanks a lot. Much appreciated.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kaydp: 11:16am On Jun 28, 2018
Quoran:
Sure
Thanks bro
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by geolife: 11:17am On Jun 28, 2018
Good
kaydp:
Hi @Quoran. Still expecting the update on quantitative section of the GRE. Thanks
Hi kaydp pls i f u've got materials for GRE pls help a sis and send to this email add biko.thanks
ohaijoyce@gmail.com
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Alfrediolu: 11:18am On Jun 28, 2018
Quoran:
GRE QUANT TIPS
25.0 is a number.

Thanks a lot for this!
pls if you have a link to the Princeton material kindly share
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by saumya: 11:27am On Jun 28, 2018
#StudyinIndia Study Engineering in India @ US$1800 per year. Applications accepted for Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering,
Electronics Engineering, EE Engineering, and Civil Engineering contact us at info@studyinindia.io or visit us on www.studyinindia.io for
more information https://www.studyinindia.io/assessment-form

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kaydp: 1:11pm On Jun 28, 2018
geolife:
Good
Hi kaydp pls i f u've got materials for GRE pls help a sis and send to this email add biko.thanks
ohaijoyce@gmail.com
Check this link http://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-ii97JplpxMdzhHNnYxSUlPOEE I guess it was compiled by time2smile.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by bolubej: 1:25pm On Jun 28, 2018
Quoran:
GRE QUANT TIPS
25.0 is a number.

Thank you so much for the tips
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by FA13(m): 2:01pm On Jun 28, 2018
ponpon:
Yes

How much
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iwriterng(m): 6:26pm On Jun 28, 2018
Quoran:
GRE QUANT TIPS
25.0 is a number.

Thank you Quoran. I would love to connect on Quora if you don't mind.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 1:16pm On Jun 29, 2018
Quoran just made it to legend list !!!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 1:18pm On Jun 29, 2018
Quoran, On the gre I guess little things matter, these complementary, supplementary, mutually exclusive , box plots, quartiles are things people just gloss over and focus on strong devillish manhattan quant. ���

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 2:45pm On Jun 29, 2018
You're right bro.
ponpon:
Quoran, On the gre I guess little things matter, these complementary, supplementary, mutually exclusive , box plots, quartiles are things people just gloss over and focus on strong devillish manhattan quant. ���
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Alfrediolu: 5:10pm On Jun 29, 2018
Great insights Quoran.
Thanks.

Pls guys I need help in getting appropriate info on MSc Biotechnology with full funding, some school have it as a Professional Science Master, but I've been trying to get one with full funding to no avail.

I would be glad if u can help.

BSc. Biochemistry 3.92/5; 3.36/4

I plan to write GRE sept/Oct still preparing
cc ponpon quoran
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by md17: 7:38pm On Jun 29, 2018
contact me on 08098054237. On the MS Biotech stuff....Let's relate
Alfrediolu:
Great insights Quoran.
Thanks.

Pls guys I need help in getting appropriate info on MSc Biotechnology with full funding, some school have it as a Professional Science Master, but I've been trying to get one with full funding to no avail.

I would be glad if u can help.

BSc. Biochemistry 3.92/5; 3.36/4

I plan to write GRE sept/Oct still preparing
cc ponpon quoran
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Alfrediolu: 7:56pm On Jun 29, 2018
md17:
contact me on 08098054237. On the MS Biotech stuff....Let's relate

Aiit.

I couldn't get you on WhatsApp. @md17
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aanexplus(m): 8:04pm On Jun 29, 2018
iCool where are you?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 9:20am On Jun 30, 2018
Sorry, I'm just replying. I will check and forward them to you.
Alfrediolu:

Thanks a lot for this!
pls if you have a link to the Princeton material kindly share
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MrCuteking(m): 10:28am On Jun 30, 2018
To all those who have written the test, please what and what did you go with on the test day?

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by haroldlewis2: 11:04am On Jun 30, 2018
good post! Topup Writer is a best to hire professional dissertation writers online Online thesis writing help Canada
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nwabu007(m): 6:51pm On Jun 30, 2018
Insightful! Thank you Quoran.

Quoran:
GRE QUANT TIPS
25.0 is a number.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by FA13(m): 9:01pm On Jun 30, 2018
Quoran:
GRE QUANT TIPS

Nice Post. Typing all these self naa work...
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by GoldmanSach: 10:45pm On Jun 30, 2018
Thank you Quoran.
That will be very helpful.
Very much appreciated.
I also hope you won't delete your account in due time as your posts will remain so timeless especially for prospective applicants.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by GoldmanSach: 10:46pm On Jun 30, 2018
Ponpon, please on registering with you, will the official GRE from ETS be provided?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 10:53pm On Jun 30, 2018
GoldmanSach:
Ponpon, please on registering with you, will the official GRE from ETS be provided?
you mean ets official guide pdf ? Well it’s available on amazon for sale and yaba. Lmao!!!. Baba send email emailer emailer Chineke mela
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by codehead777: 12:54pm On Jul 01, 2018
kaydp:
Check this link http://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-ii97JplpxMdzhHNnYxSUlPOEE I guess it was compiled by time2smile.

Thanks, does this contin the same materials mentioned on page 0?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by codehead777: 12:57pm On Jul 01, 2018
Good day all,

How and where can one register for this exam in Lagos and for how much.

I am about to start preparation and i have gone to page 0. Can someone confirm the materials mentioned on page 0 are still relevant or there are updates versions. I planned to write the exam in Sept as school application opens in Oct to end Dec.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by codehead777: 1:24pm On Jul 01, 2018
Hi all,

Can I register for GRE exam by myself on ETS website?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 3:23pm On Jul 01, 2018
codehead777:
Hi all,

Can I register for GRE exam by myself on ETS website?
yes you can for 205 but I can register you for 45k
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by codehead777: 5:58pm On Jul 01, 2018
ponpon:

Share your contact.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jul 01, 2018
ponpon:
grin
ponpon killing the beat!

how far?

(1) (2) (3) ... (380) (381) (382) (383) (384) (385) (386) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.