Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:52 AM

Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre (6726 Views)

Construction Diary: Building a Duplex on the Rocks. / Construction Diary Of A Block Of 6 Flats (2 Bedrooms) In Enugu / Construction Diary Of A Semi Detached Bungalow At Ikorodu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 7:22am On Sep 16, 2014
Panelling is done by dividing a wide area e.g a hall, into smaller sections during foundation so just to support the weight of the German floor coming on it.
It is done at the discretion of the engineer to avoid cracks when live and dead loads are transmitted to the floor.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 7:36am On Sep 16, 2014
In the picture below, you can see the main hall as an octagonal structure. When digging the foundation, we divided the octagon into 9 smaller panels by running blocks from a---a, b--b, c--c and d--d.

It has been successfully panelled and I can go go bed without thinking the floor will implode or crack due to loads.

Sir, it's not actually the architects work but the structural engineer. If a S/E is not involved in your projects especially high rise ones, it's dangerous.

A civil engineer with structural design experience can make decisions for small projects.

Amendments can be made to projects by client reps or the builder but must be communicated through the architect to the Clients rep and documented.
Am I free now sir? grin

Onuokwu:
Thanks for your professionalism although truly i do not understand what a panel means and its overall impact on the foundation. My question however is "why did the architect not think of this?" Can you place absolute reliance on his work or will you make future adjustments as you go along? Are these types of amendments to the plan on paper normal and widespread?
Just 3 questions i will like answered for learning purposes.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 7:45am On Sep 16, 2014
We started raising our foundation blocks. We had to monitor the production of these blocks because we used a special formula. grin

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by twinskenny(m): 11:17am On Sep 16, 2014
@ OP

Good job you are doing here.... I have been trying to reach you, need to know if there is going to be need for IT installation stuffs (cctv, intercome, data... and satellite tv)
maybe will can work together... you can email me your number if you dont mind sir.. twinskenny@gmail.com

thank you

1 Like

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 7:05pm On Sep 16, 2014
twinskenny: @ OP

Good job you are doing here.... I have been trying to reach you, need to know if there is going to be need for IT installation stuffs (cctv, intercome, data... and satellite tv)
maybe will can work together... you can email me your number if you dont mind sir.. twinskenny@gmail.com

thank you

I'll need intercom and maybe cctv for another project which has just started. So, maybe in d 5weeks.
Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 7:21pm On Sep 16, 2014
We got to this level in 2 days.

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by twinskenny(m): 10:04pm On Sep 16, 2014
KolaShangOne:

I'll need intercom and maybe cctv for another project which has just started. So, maybe in d 5weeks.
I Think i receive an email from you> i will be glad to work with you sir ..

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 10:08pm On Sep 17, 2014
Because of the slope nature of the ground, at the lowest side, we had our foundation blocks rising to about 7 courses. shocked

Another challenge created . If we don't do something about this, during backfilling and compaction, the wall may break away from the column or crack along mortar lines.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 10:44pm On Sep 17, 2014
So we had to double our foundation walls in areas with more than 5 courses of block. The pictures are in my broken phone, will upload as soon as I can.

Meanwhile, we commenced the borehole to provide us water to meet up with the day we cast DPC. Prior, we av been buying 5000litres for 6,000naira.

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by Besh1295: 5:24am On Sep 18, 2014
Nice thread.....pls also visit my thread https://www.nairaland.com/1906449/supply-timbers-planks-woods-constructions if you need supply of timber

1 Like

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 6:50am On Sep 18, 2014
Besh1295: Nice thread.....pls also visit my thread https://www.nairaland.com/1906449/supply-timbers-planks-woods-constructions if you need supply of timber
I'll be getting some dis early morning. We will do biz next time.
Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 6:51am On Sep 18, 2014
Mixing of rough concrete to fill our foundation walls.

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by Besh1295: 8:46am On Sep 18, 2014
KolaShangOne:
I'll be getting some dis early morning. We will do biz next time.
ok.Thank u very much....you will not be disappointed
Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by kopell: 12:28pm On Sep 18, 2014
Sir do you have idea of the average cost of the borehole, also if the guys can go to Kwara State, along IGBAJA Rd in Ifelodun LGA. Pls post what ever they say, so others that may have similar question may benefit from it thank.
Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 7:20am On Sep 21, 2014
kopell: Sir do you have idea of the average cost of the borehole, also if the guys can go to Kwara State, along IGBAJA Rd in Ifelodun LGA. Pls post what ever they say, so others that may have similar question may benefit from it thank.

The cost is 400,000. This cost covers just the borehole and a submersible pump. I'll ask them about it and get back to you
Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 7:32am On Sep 22, 2014
If you're constructing in ibadan and you need to borrow equipments, contact us:

shidexgs@yahoo.com
Shidexgs@gmail.com

Available are:
- Concrete mixers (Masalta, Lister etc)
- Levelling instrument.
- Total station
- Compactor
- Concrete vibrator
- Concrete tests @ 7, 14, 21, 28days.
- Consultancy too
Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 8:53pm On Sep 22, 2014
We are getting to required foundation height (damn it's tall!)

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 8:01am On Sep 25, 2014

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by twinskenny(m): 9:00am On Sep 25, 2014
great job.. good speed too
Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 5:16am On Sep 29, 2014
twinskenny: great job.. good speed too

Thanks a lot sir smiley
Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 9:13pm On Sep 29, 2014
This picture best explains the foundation panels. The hall space has been divided into four so that the 'German floor' can be supported.

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 12:57pm On Oct 01, 2014
One of our I.T. students from Uni. Of ibadan using the levelling instrument to check and recommend adjustments to the foundation level.

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 3:33pm On Oct 03, 2014
Laterite- Filling up th foundation with 'imported soil' like Spyder880 will say..

That's the department of Quantity surveying showing @ the background.

We are bordered on the right by Electrical engr dept, left by Quantity surveying dept, and building construction dept directly facing us.

Lots of visitors and opinions

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by mufutau55(m): 3:44pm On Oct 03, 2014
KolaShangOne: Laterite- Filling up th foundation with 'imported soil' like Spyder880 will say..

LOL! "Imported Soil" from Dubai. smiley

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by Nobody: 3:46pm On Oct 03, 2014
mufutau55:

Hajji M.

imported from the shores of nigeria not dubai ooo.

Regards,
Samuel

1 Like

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 4:50pm On Oct 03, 2014
mufutau55:

Hajji M.

Imported from the bowels of the earth grin
Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 4:54pm On Oct 03, 2014
Some parts of the foundation which had 4 courses of block wall of course filled up faster. Others with 7 courses took longer..

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by mufutau55(m): 6:15pm On Oct 03, 2014
KolaShangOne:

Imported from the bowels of the earth grin

That's a good one!

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 6:12pm On Oct 04, 2014
Meanwhile....

The guys we contracted the soakaway pit and septic tank to, got to about 5 feet and here they are looking frustrated..

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 8:39am On Oct 05, 2014
Even with their 14pounds hammer, they still toiling..

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by bizzle2: 10:34pm On Oct 05, 2014
@ OP, very interesting thread, grin,
by the way, wts your discipline ? hope you dont mind my asking
Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by AreaFada2: 4:56am On Oct 06, 2014
great

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

3bedrooms(3baths) In Lekki Phase 1 With 20 M0nth Flexible Payment Plans For 35m / Ikorodu Help To Build And Aquire Land / Room Self-contained For Rent In Ago Palace, Okota, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.