Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,158 members, 7,818,515 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:46 PM

The One Thing I Would Do Differently As A Parent - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The One Thing I Would Do Differently As A Parent (766 Views)

A Parent's Level Of Patience Is Eternal... (hillarious Pic) / Here Are 20 Things Authentic People Do Differently / Photos Of The Day! As A Parent, What Will Be Ur Reaction? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The One Thing I Would Do Differently As A Parent by ogaofficer(m): 9:42pm On Jul 29, 2014
This holiday season is a great time to reflect on our lives and particularly on our families. As a husband and also a father I am so thrilled with my family. They are my greatest blessing and my greatest joy.
I’ve wondered over the years what mistakes I have made in my role as a father. There are mistakes along the way; the important thing is to get back on track. I think one of the things I would differently as a parent is spending more time developing informal win-win agreements with each of my children. Doing this consistently and over time, covering the different phases of their lives would have been beneficial.
Because I traveled a lot I felt that I often indulged them and went for lose-win too often. Instead I would have liked to pay the price to take the time to build relationships through win-win agreements.
Think about your own relationships with your children. What can you do to create more win-win? Would you like to try creating win-win agreements with them to involve them more in decision-making, problem-solving and being accountable? Find a problem or issue you want to work on. Talk to your child about their needs or desires (their win). Explain what is a win for you. Then come up with ideas for meeting your child’s needs in a way that will also meet your needs. Set up specific expectations, to-dos and outcomes. You even can put this down on paper and you both will sign it so you can always go back to it in case of questions. This also creates accountability.
The more you create win-win with your children, the more trust you will build with them—and you’ll model and teach them one of the most important skills they need to have to thrive in their relationships not only in the family but in all their relationships, now and in the future.

1 Like

Re: The One Thing I Would Do Differently As A Parent by Dozenbaby(f): 9:47pm On Jul 29, 2014
;DOh so good
Re: The One Thing I Would Do Differently As A Parent by Nobody: 10:09pm On Jul 29, 2014
Please define what "win-win", "lose-win" mean.
Re: The One Thing I Would Do Differently As A Parent by ogaofficer(m): 10:44pm On Jul 29, 2014
smurfy: Please define what "win-win", "lose-win" mean.
Most of us learn to base our self-worth on comparisons and competition. We think about succeeding in terms of someone else failing--that is, if I win, you lose; or if you win, I lose. Life becomes a zero-sum game. There is only so much pie to go around, and if you get a big piece, there is less for me; it's not fair, and I'm going to make sure you don't get anymore. We all play the game, but how much fun is it really?
Win-win sees life as a cooperative arena, not a competitive one. Win-win is a frame of mind and heart that constantly seeks mutual benefit in all human interactions. Win-win means agreements or solutions are mutually beneficial and satisfying. We both get to eat the pie, and it tastes pretty darn good!

1 Like

Re: The One Thing I Would Do Differently As A Parent by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jul 30, 2014
ogaofficer: Most of us learn to base our self-worth on comparisons and competition. We think about succeeding in terms of someone else failing--that is, if I win, you lose; or if you win, I lose. Life becomes a zero-sum game. There is only so much pie to go around, and if you get a big piece, there is less for me; it's not fair, and I'm going to make sure you don't get anymore. We all play the game, but how much fun is it really?
Win-win sees life as a cooperative arena, not a competitive one. Win-win is a frame of mind and heart that constantly seeks mutual benefit in all human interactions. Win-win means agreements or solutions are mutually beneficial and satisfying. We both get to eat the pie, and it tastes pretty darn good!

Thanks for this beautiful explanation.
Re: The One Thing I Would Do Differently As A Parent by orimahspence: 8:50pm On Jul 30, 2014
ogaofficer: Most of us learn to base our self-worth on comparisons and competition. We think about succeeding in terms of someone else failing--that is, if I win, you lose; or if you win, I lose. Life becomes a zero-sum game. There is only so much pie to go around, and if you get a big piece, there is less for me; it's not fair, and I'm going to make sure you don't get anymore. We all play the game, but how much fun is it really?

Thanks for this wonderful explanation, but I still seem not to understand well, please can you provide a case study of Win-win and win-loose, and how it's applicable in ones relationship with children, thanks
Re: The One Thing I Would Do Differently As A Parent by ogaofficer(m): 11:05am On Jul 31, 2014
orimahspence:

Thanks for this wonderful explanation, but I still seem not to understand well, please can you provide a case study of Win-win and win-loose, and how it's applicable in ones relationship with children, thanks
you can help your child to achieve that goal he has been dreaming of, in the sense that you both can dialogue on how to achieve the goal whereby your child will be comfortable with the ideas you both have agreed on to achieve that Goal . . . . . Both of you must be comfortable. . . . . For example the National conference between F.G and Nigeria is a win/win deal. This will help build a great savings into your child emotional Bank acct. I really wish you could understand me better.
Re: The One Thing I Would Do Differently As A Parent by Kanwulia: 2:23pm On Jul 31, 2014
No regrets so far! kiss
Re: The One Thing I Would Do Differently As A Parent by ogaofficer(m): 2:58pm On Jul 31, 2014
Kanwulia: No regrets so far! kiss
You got me right. . . . . Sir/Ma.
Re: The One Thing I Would Do Differently As A Parent by orimahspence: 9:00am On Aug 01, 2014
ogaofficer: you can help your child to achieve that goal he has been dreaming of, in the sense that you both can dialogue on how to achieve the goal whereby your child will be comfortable with the ideas you both have agreed on to achieve that Goal . . . . . Both of you must be comfortable. . . . . For example the National conference between F.G and Nigeria is a win/win deal. This will help build a great savings into your child emotional Bank acct. I really wish you could understand me better.

I got you right boss,thanks ,it's a good idea

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Woman Reunites With Family 37 Years After Vanishing / Dogs Attacked My Brother Inside Our Flat ─ Seven-year-old / Parents Look After Ur Girls Well

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.