Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,771 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:36 PM

My Life As A Gay - Nigerian Idol Star, Joe Blue (the Untold Story) - Entertainment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / My Life As A Gay - Nigerian Idol Star, Joe Blue (the Untold Story) (17471 Views)

Nigerian Idol Finalist, Zoe Chinaka Turns Tv/radio Presenter/new Photos / Photos & Scoop As The Wizkid Visit Nigerian Idol Contestants / Gay Nigerian Chika Nwafor Divorces German Husband (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Life As A Gay - Nigerian Idol Star, Joe Blue (the Untold Story) by citypulseng(m): 5:06pm On Jul 30, 2014
He has gait and exudes confidence everywhere he goes. Joe Anthony Ekpo, fondly known as Joe Blue could best be remembered for his peculiar dress sense during 2012 edition of Nigeria idol talent hunt show which many remarked was absolutely refreshing and sensational.

An embodiment of uniqueness and poise, the 24-year-old was able to prove his mettle with his renditions of both local and international songs which kept both audience and viewers spellbound throughout his days in
the shows. But little did anybody know that Joe Blue carried a heavy burden in his mind prior to his coming and leaving the Nigerian Idol show.

CityPulse Nigeria caught with the cute dude recently during a mentoring programme for upcoming acts organised at The Empowerment Centre, Yaba, Lagos under the aegis of Evolve Workshops™.

In an emotion-laden voice, Joe Blue shocked the listening audience when he started dissecting his life from birth, his unhappy childhood including the pain and agonies he suffered, what led him into the world of homosexuality, Nigerian Idol odyssey and his ultimate triumph when he had an encounter with Christ.

Also In attendance were Afro Jazz diva, Yinka Davies; 2010 MTN Project Fame finalist, Tolulope Abraham Adesina and Mr. Gson Ebuka, coordinator of Evolve Workshops™.

Below are excerpts of the interview:

· Tell us a bit about yourself
I was born into a family of seven and studied theatre arts in UNILAG. Unfortunately I couldn’t finish my study and had to drop out.

· What gave you the needed motivation?
Music! I have always appreciated music ever since I was young. It continues to give me unlimited happiness because throughout my entire life I have faced one rejection or the other.

· How old specifically is Joe Blue?
23 years! But I will clock 24 in August this year

· Growing up to be something you never dreamt about can be quite funny. What was your childhood fantasies like?
Well, I grew up seeing my siblings as perfect. Many believed that I was born by mistake and subjected me to a life of torment. I live a very unhappy childhood. I was what you could call a child of rejection while growing up. However, the stigma has turned out to work in my favour now.

· Didn’t that trauma leave a scar on you?
It did! You see, I turned out gay because I found myself in the company of friends I couldn’t help mixing with. That was an era when people don’t talk much about this ‘gay thing’ unlike the way it is now.

· Are you still a gay?
No! I finally got transformed when I came across my current spiritual father, Pastor Simeon Adeola, less than a year ago. Prior to that, I lost my biological father three years ago. I was confused and knew I needed somebody to guide me because I wasn’t happy with what I turned out to be. How do I explain spending almost 23 years of my life as a gay? It was a terrible moment for me. After I crashed out of the first season of Nigerian Idol, I was seriously depressed. There was a time I told myself I won’t mind sleeping with anybody for N30 million or even go as far as getting a mark of the beast. At the time, it was one of those demonic thoughts I had as a kid.

That must have been a terrible moment for you, wasn’t it?
Yes, it was. My transformation was a personal decision I had to make. If I had not taken that step, I could have turned out worse. It was a time I even slept with three persons at the same time. Just as smoking, the addiction was too strong. Looking back now, I can say all the friends in my life were a waste. Rather advised against my lifestyle, they urged me on and contributed negatively to my life.

Let us talk about your spiritual father. How was he able to transform you?
At first, it wasn’t easy. But Pastor Adeola kept reassuring me that change don’t come if I don’t desire it. So I walked towards getting that needed transformation. That was how he brought Jesus into my life. He gave me a book to meditate on, observed my actions and inaction, talked to my soul and helped to study the Bible assiduously. With time I got to understand that Christ cannot help me unless I am ready to work with Him. In fact, Pastor Adeola taught me to change my confession from ‘I was GAY’ to ‘Now I am a new man!’ He understands me and can tell when the devil was about invoking the spirit of homosexuality back into my soul. He made me feel special and showed me the kind of genuine love I have craved all my life. Now I want to pray the way he prays, dress the way he dresses and prophesy the way he does.

Guests and Evolve workshop facilitators at the event

· You once lost out in your first attempt before gallantly losing out to Mercy in season 2 of Nigerian Idol. How did you do it?
My journey to stardom started years ago. Unfortunately, so many people turned me down including my big sister, Yinka (Davies). But I reminded myself that I am going to Nigerian Idol with the sole intention of winning. At first, my voice wasn’t clear but Yinka encouraged me. It was also the period I lost my father. Everything was just not going right for me. Let me say the journey wasn’t really a challenge but more of a fight.

· How do you mean?
You see, that time coincided with a period I was wrongly accused of stealing a man’s private part. It turned out to be a big case. In fact, I recalled sleeping in police cell for 5 days before I was transferred to Kirikiri. When I was finally discharged and acquitted, that was also the time I was recalled for the season 2 of Nigerian Idol. In my anguish, I vowed within myself that I won’t be deterred because I remember weeping like a baby when I was first evicted. As the saying continues, many still believed that I was an accursed child. However I received a lifeline when Jeffery (another judge on the reality show) called me around 1.00am and ask me to come back because I have been handed a wild card.

That must have taken you by surprise…
I almost died out of excitement. When I returned to the house, it was with full force. I threw everything I have into it. One thing I discovered early was that I needed to create a personality for myself. I create the design for my wears and did some crazy things so much that even Yinka kept telling me to push harder. At time point, I knew I could win it when the chips get to the final two contestants. What I have experienced so far taught me that there are times people will promise you all the things of this world just for you to sell your soul. My advice is, just stick to Christ!

· Now that you are a star, how do you manage your new found fame?
Unlike before, my management strategy has changed. I have learned to trust in Christ, not to run ahead of myself and become desperate. Also I have learnt that what you sincerely desire, you will get it. Looking back, I must confess that coming second at Nigeria Idol actually got to me. I felt like Michael Jackson. Stardom really got into my head.

· It has been said that success has many friends. Do you still retain your old friends?
No! With all I passed through, you know I can’t do that. I have cut away from old friends, because they are all gays. The fact remains that if you mix with drunkard, you will become one. If you follow prostitutes, you will equally become one soon. Unfortunately, I know not everybody is privilege to break away as I did.

· How do you describe music?
Music is life, passion and soul. I am a music freak. I see it as a god given gift and happiness for a sorrowful person like me. Sometimes I ask myself what would have become of me if I were not an artiste.

· What are your plans for the future?
I aim to teach transgressors the way of Christ is my dream. I have a lot of projects I don’t want to start mentioning here. The little time I have here on planet earth, I want to live in serving God

· Do you have a girlfriend?
Girlfriend? That is not even in my plan right now. It is not the ultimate, not even cars or money

What is your regret in life?
Not knowing Christ early enough

Source: http://www.citypulseng.com/2014/07/my-life-as-gay-nigerian-idol-runner-up.html

3 Likes

Re: My Life As A Gay - Nigerian Idol Star, Joe Blue (the Untold Story) by Airforce1(m): 5:10pm On Jul 30, 2014
Thank god he haz accepted christ

The fear of 14yrs jail term in nigeria is the beginning of wisdom

6 Likes

Re: My Life As A Gay - Nigerian Idol Star, Joe Blue (the Untold Story) by elguaje(m): 5:14pm On Jul 30, 2014
shocked
Re: My Life As A Gay - Nigerian Idol Star, Joe Blue (the Untold Story) by ifekemmy(f): 6:06pm On Jul 30, 2014
Thank God for d transformation

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Gay - Nigerian Idol Star, Joe Blue (the Untold Story) by axortedbabe(f): 6:47pm On Jul 30, 2014
Sombori praiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiz da lord..
Re: My Life As A Gay - Nigerian Idol Star, Joe Blue (the Untold Story) by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jul 30, 2014
Ok so he's gone back to the closet, he will still "do" a leopard can't change its spot.

7 Likes

Re: My Life As A Gay - Nigerian Idol Star, Joe Blue (the Untold Story) by IAMBREEZY: 8:09pm On Jul 30, 2014
Thank God he changed his Lifestyle.
Re: My Life As A Gay - Nigerian Idol Star, Joe Blue (the Untold Story) by Nobody: 8:31pm On Jul 30, 2014
Clown! You have changed indeed! Anyways. Make i no talk!!!
Dude's a coward! Das all cool

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Gay - Nigerian Idol Star, Joe Blue (the Untold Story) by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jul 30, 2014

PRAISE THE LORD!!! My pastor prophesied in church last miracle tuesday that one by one, all these gay niggafuckers will know god's er*otic love!!!!

3 Likes

Re: My Life As A Gay - Nigerian Idol Star, Joe Blue (the Untold Story) by Gratia(f): 10:31pm On Jul 30, 2014
i knew it that Joe Blue was Gay when I watched him throughout the Nigerian Idol 2012.
The way he walks like woman.
twists his buttocks.
Was Charly Boy's favourite contestant then.
So I was right after all.

Thank God for your life now.

3 Likes

Re: My Life As A Gay - Nigerian Idol Star, Joe Blue (the Untold Story) by FlintGuevara(m): 11:07pm On Jul 30, 2014
So JOE BLUEfilm is gay? I've always suspected. Fear all them dudes that catwalk.
Re: My Life As A Gay - Nigerian Idol Star, Joe Blue (the Untold Story) by Nobody: 11:22pm On Jul 30, 2014
I suspected he was a gay too. Its good he has changed for good.
Sex must be enjoyed between a man and a woman and not between two men or two women.
Re: My Life As A Gay - Nigerian Idol Star, Joe Blue (the Untold Story) by Odunharry(m): 11:35pm On Jul 30, 2014
chaiii....
Re: My Life As A Gay - Nigerian Idol Star, Joe Blue (the Untold Story) by Odunharry(m): 11:36pm On Jul 30, 2014
Gratia: i knew it that Joe Blue was Gay when I watched him throughout the Nigerian Idol 2012.
twists his buttocks.

so true...Charly Boy always praise him
Re: My Life As A Gay - Nigerian Idol Star, Joe Blue (the Untold Story) by ayukdaboss(m): 11:37pm On Jul 30, 2014
Chaaaaii....see something embarassed

grin tongue
Re: My Life As A Gay - Nigerian Idol Star, Joe Blue (the Untold Story) by Chanchit: 12:09am On Jul 31, 2014
INNOisBACK: Clown! You have changed indeed! Anyways. Make i no talk!!!

You must be one of his friends...
Re: My Life As A Gay - Nigerian Idol Star, Joe Blue (the Untold Story) by Chanchit: 12:16am On Jul 31, 2014
Joe, leave mata for mathias, you say U don change, and you no wan get girlfriend, na asexual you change to..? Guy, YOU BE GAY....!!!

The guy know that we know, so he wants to divert our attention. Psiayi, e no go work.

I still dey wait for that Omolayo from last project fame to come and confess...

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Gay - Nigerian Idol Star, Joe Blue (the Untold Story) by Chanchit: 12:39am On Jul 31, 2014
I met a guy some months back, he told me Joe Blue is his friend, you need nobody to tell you this guy is gay. He told me to come to their rehearsals. After the show, I was talking with a friend outside, the guy jst fly come from nowhere and said
Gay-"so you don't want to wait for me..?"
I was like, is this guy OK.
Me-"are we going same way..?"
Gay-"hmmm, where do you live" I told him, unfortunately for me we are going almost same way, but we have 2bus-stops btw us and he would be dropping first.
Gay-"we are going same way, lets go together"
ME-"aaaaah, I'm treking home"
Gay-"ok, lets trek then"
Me-"I also have to see a friend in the next street before going home"
Gay-"really..?"
Me-"yea."
Gay-"Ok, can I have ur number..?"
I gave him my number, the guy would call to remind me of their rehearsals and would not forget to say Oga Joe is coming, I go laf say this 2gays wan spoil my yansh, I no even knw say them plenty. Maybe I should even call the guy to ask if Oga Joe still dey come the rehearsals.
Re: My Life As A Gay - Nigerian Idol Star, Joe Blue (the Untold Story) by Krasid(m): 12:51am On Jul 31, 2014
Thank God for your life.

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Gay - Nigerian Idol Star, Joe Blue (the Untold Story) by Howmanage: 2:42am On Jul 31, 2014
The guy seems like a vulnerable person. Gay or not, he appears to need counselling or behaviour therapy. I wish him well

3 Likes

Re: My Life As A Gay - Nigerian Idol Star, Joe Blue (the Untold Story) by DaVinChiSam(m): 3:20am On Jul 31, 2014
Transfor... What?
Re: My Life As A Gay - Nigerian Idol Star, Joe Blue (the Untold Story) by neuljosh(m): 6:12am On Jul 31, 2014
Airforce1: Thank god he haz accepted christ

The fear of 14yrs jail term in nigeria is the beginning of wisdom
Hahahah soo true no be person go tell am. Anyway, all thanks to God
Re: My Life As A Gay - Nigerian Idol Star, Joe Blue (the Untold Story) by citypulseng(m): 9:12am On Jul 31, 2014
Howmanage: The guy seems like a vulnerable person. Gay or not, he appears to need counselling or behaviour therapy. I wish him well

I cannot agree less. He sure seems to be a quiet guy.

[code][/code]Frontpage thingy
Re: My Life As A Gay - Nigerian Idol Star, Joe Blue (the Untold Story) by Howmanage: 9:35am On Jul 31, 2014
citypulseng:

I cannot agree less. He sure seems to be a quiet guy.

[code][/code]Frontpage thingy
so you think he is quiet but not vulnerable?
Re: My Life As A Gay - Nigerian Idol Star, Joe Blue (the Untold Story) by goldfish80(m): 11:10am On Jul 31, 2014
Gratia: i knew it that Joe Blue was Gay when I watched him throughout the Nigerian Idol 2012.
twists his buttocks.

I agree with you. Joe blue had gayness written all over him. His dance moves were so gay. It was very easy to tell.
I think Mercy was Charly boy's favourite contestant. He normally dances with his white handkerchief whenever she's performing.
Did I read a part in that interview Joe blue say he once had guy threescore? Holy ghost!
Re: My Life As A Gay - Nigerian Idol Star, Joe Blue (the Untold Story) by MiguelMi6(m): 11:32am On Jul 31, 2014
Uggghhn ,Say what.From his statement,he mixed with friends he couldn't help mixing with,that's what made him gay.So he was never actually gay from scratch,he turned gay,now he's turned back straight religiously.
Bet he as this has dinner every night.

Re: My Life As A Gay - Nigerian Idol Star, Joe Blue (the Untold Story) by s3nn2x(m): 11:32am On Jul 31, 2014
This one him and the pastor are wearing the same kind of clothes....na wa oooo!!!

He should just tell us he is no longer promiscuous and now into a monogamous relationship...

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Gay - Nigerian Idol Star, Joe Blue (the Untold Story) by Nobody: 11:47am On Jul 31, 2014
SMH.

There's a great difference between being gay and craving for sex at every minute.

Joe Blue, enjoy your few minutes of fame wink
Re: My Life As A Gay - Nigerian Idol Star, Joe Blue (the Untold Story) by Nobody: 11:52am On Jul 31, 2014
MiguelMi6: Uggghhn ,Say what.From his statement,he mixed with friends he couldn't help mixing with,that's what made him gay.So he was never actually gay from scratch,he turned gay,now he's turned back straight religiously.
Bet he has this has dinner every night.

Lol. I wonder o.

I guess those same friends taught him how to be effeminate.

Goodluck with him having an exclusive relationship with a female. grin
Re: My Life As A Gay - Nigerian Idol Star, Joe Blue (the Untold Story) by Nobody: 11:58am On Jul 31, 2014
INNOisBACK: Clown! You have changed indeed! Anyways. Make i no talk!!!

Probably not a coward, but obviously he was surely disturbed, like many gay people..and sex would seem to be the easy way out, this making way for addiction.

If he has gotten free from the addiction, then that would be sensible. But telling me he has been delivered from "being gay" is just playing on one's intelligence.

5 Likes

Re: My Life As A Gay - Nigerian Idol Star, Joe Blue (the Untold Story) by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jul 31, 2014
Or maybe someone is trying to blackmail him, in which case, I wouldn't blame him for coming out to say he's been delivered.

Pre-emptive strike.
Re: My Life As A Gay - Nigerian Idol Star, Joe Blue (the Untold Story) by Kellygold(f): 12:08pm On Jul 31, 2014
Thank God for your life.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Man Dances Zanku As He Juggles With His Cap(video) / Omotola Included In TIME 100 Most-Influential People In The World / EXPOSED: Bathroom Photo & Video Of UNIBEN Girls Leaked Online By Roomate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.