Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,504 members, 7,819,827 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:47 AM

Americans Make Fun Of The Commonwealth Games - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Americans Make Fun Of The Commonwealth Games (1579 Views)

Nigerian Onaolapo Pulls Pant Off After Commonwealth Win! / C N N :: Third Nigerian Fails Commonwealth Games Drugs Test / Nigerian Has Won The First Gold Of The 2010 Commonwealth Games In Delhi - Pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Americans Make Fun Of The Commonwealth Games by AmericanQueen: 6:01pm On Jul 30, 2014
Re: Americans Make Fun Of The Commonwealth Games by safarigirl(f): 9:00pm On Jul 30, 2014
Typical. Living up to the ignorance they have come to be associated with.

...Then again, this is how the rest of the world makes fun of American football grin

3 Likes

Re: Americans Make Fun Of The Commonwealth Games by fr3do(m): 11:10pm On Jul 30, 2014
They should shove their opinions up a place wey sun no dey reach. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Americans Make Fun Of The Commonwealth Games by Nobody: 10:26am On Jul 31, 2014
I knew it! I smelt your envy the moment I saw that silly thread espousing American track athletes the other day...

https://www.nairaland.com/1834504/american-female-track-field-stars#25076806

Attention seekers tongue It kills you you guys cant be part of the games, hence you belittle it grin

Cry me a Thames!!! angry

3 Likes

Re: Americans Make Fun Of The Commonwealth Games by tuffgongjo(m): 2:43pm On Jul 31, 2014
What do your expect from a nation that plays the world series within their league.

4 Likes

Re: Americans Make Fun Of The Commonwealth Games by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jul 31, 2014
Loooool these comments above got me laughing. Americans are sore losers anyways, they won't be chatting rubbish if they were in the commonwealth.

This reminds me of the World Cup, as soon as they were knocked out of the tournament, soccer sucked again. grin

3 Likes

Re: Americans Make Fun Of The Commonwealth Games by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jul 31, 2014
Yanks are sore loosers.
Re: Americans Make Fun Of The Commonwealth Games by 50calibre(m): 7:06pm On Jul 31, 2014
Of course the commonwealth games is sh*t, I can't even stand it. It's a total waste of time, just a bunch of mushroom countries (apart from a few countries of note) who are obliged to participate in exchange for the continuos flow of whatever stipends they receive from the former colonial master.

C'mon are you guys kidding me? A games without the US, Russia or China, how do you even take that seriously?

The commonwealth games is a picnic for many of the athletes, a games devoid of notable stars or recognition. Even Usain Bolt (the biggest name this time) didn't take the games seriously. Nigeria once ( in the 80s) boycotted the games in protest of the British support for South Africa's apartheid regime, and the British response then was to impose harsh restrictions on Nigerian migrants.

The commonwealth in itself is of no real significance or relevance in today's world, no political clout or leverage whatsoever on world events, just remnants of the colonial British empire held together by the crumbs which falls into their plates. To most countries, the commonwealth is nothing more that a fellowship of a former colonial master and it's formerly occupied territories.

When I rise to power, I'm pulling Nigeria out of that travesty of an organisation. This is the 21st century, I see no need in hanging on to colonial pasts. grin

1 Like

Re: Americans Make Fun Of The Commonwealth Games by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jul 31, 2014
^^
Usain Bolt will participate in the 4x100 relay. The likes of VCB, SAFP, Amantle Montsho, Okagbare et al are also participants.

On the political side, however, I'm in favor of Nigeria withdrawing from the Commonwealth. It serves absolutely no geo-political purpose.
Re: Americans Make Fun Of The Commonwealth Games by daveP(m): 7:48pm On Jul 31, 2014
Adaobi ur comment made me laugh.mehn but politically true.to me its good for fun,thats where the Yanks make me pissed.

1 Like

Re: Americans Make Fun Of The Commonwealth Games by Afam4eva(m): 8:06pm On Jul 31, 2014
The video is really funny and has some truth in it. Apart from the commonwealth games being a competition that brings Britain's former colonies together, it is a place where small countries can console themselves. We can all agree that there is little or no competition in the commonwealth games. Nonetheless, i like watching the sprints irrespective of the competition.

It's even good that the US is not part of the commonwealth games. They would have swept 70% of the medals.

2 Likes

Re: Americans Make Fun Of The Commonwealth Games by dabossman(m): 8:13pm On Jul 31, 2014
Who cares what the Yanks think about the games? Are these not the same people who call a league of predominantly American teams the World Series? They might also try to explain how a game predominantly played by running with an oblong ball in your hands is called football. Football indeed.

1 Like

Re: Americans Make Fun Of The Commonwealth Games by antartica(m): 8:20pm On Jul 31, 2014
Common wealth is one of those things that goes with colonization.It is the same as africans speaking englishwearing english clothes and bearing english names.A people are clonized by being forced and coexed to think,act,behave.mimic and obey the colonizers.Americans are products of the english,but they always do their best to let go that part of their history,like it never existed.Infact they are rebelled english.

It is way of reaffirming the bond of master- freed servants relationship.I prefer sprint to football,anyway,so i am loving it sometimes,especially in the fields where africans are good at.
Re: Americans Make Fun Of The Commonwealth Games by dabossman(m): 8:27pm On Jul 31, 2014
Afam4eva: The video is really funny and has some truth in it. Apart from the commonwealth games being a competition that brings Britain's former colonies together, it is a place where small countries can console themselves. We can all agree that there is little or no competition in the commonwealth games. Nonetheless, i like watching the sprints irrespective of the competition.

It's even good that the US is not part of the commonwealth games. They would have swept 70% of the medals.

Even if all the games achieves is to bring together small countries for their own day in the sun, I don't think it's right to now ridicule such an event. That's like ridiculing CHAN, or the Paralympics. They all serve their own special purpose. The Concacaf Gold Cup which the US has won several is a competition of "small countries" like Grenada, Nicaragua, Haiti, Martinique and what not. Why don't they put their money where their mouth is and leave Concacaf for Conmebol. After all Australia moved to the Asian Federation for better competition.

5 Likes

(1) (Reply)

American Boxer Floyd Mayweather Spends $6,200,000 Million On Three Cars / Free Daily Football Betting Tips For Free For Nairaland Users / Messi, The Highest Goal Scorer In La Liga, Scoring 350 Liga Goals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.