Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,998 members, 7,835,353 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:06 AM

What Is Fat32 - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / What Is Fat32 (879 Views)

How To Format 500GB External Hard Disk Drive To FAT32 / How To CHanging Over Fat32 To Ntfs / What Is The Different Between Ntfs, Fat And Fat32 Os, Format (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Fat32 by Bazz1905: 9:41am On Oct 15, 2008
Please can any of you geeks tell me what is FAT32. My system goes off and shows me that a FAT32 error has occured.
Re: What Is Fat32 by Moyola(f): 9:42am On Oct 15, 2008
FAT or FART? undecided
Re: What Is Fat32 by ExInferis(m): 9:48am On Oct 15, 2008
File Allocation Table for 32bit Operating Systems. it basically means the file/directory structure on the hard disk the operating system uses to orgnanize your stuff. NTFS (new technology file system) is a better option on windows 2k and above.
Re: What Is Fat32 by samtek(m): 10:34am On Oct 15, 2008
Ex Inferis:

File Allocation Table for 32bit Operating Systems. it basically means the file/directory structure on the hard disk the operating system uses to orgnanize your stuff. NTFS (new technology file system) is a better option on windows 2k and above.
@Ex has said it FAT mean File Allocation Table foe 32bits OS.
i m not so sure how to but i think to chang ur hard FAT32 to NTFS u wld need to format it to NTFS
plz dont act on this wait to see more post frm experts
8-x
Re: What Is Fat32 by ExInferis(m): 12:14pm On Oct 15, 2008
samtek:

@Ex has said it FAT mean File Allocation Table foe 32bits OS.
i m not so sure how to but i think to chang ur hard FAT32 to NTFS u would need to format it to NTFS
plz don't act on this wait to see more post frm experts
8-x

although he didnt specifically ask how to convert, its dead easy and harmless

just go to command prompt and type  convert c: /fs:ntfs (assuming c is the drive letter of the drive you want to convert).

it will ask you for the volume label, input that and press enter.

mind you, windows will schedule the process and ask you to restart the system. do so.

ifyou are converting a logical (ie non-system drive) you dont need to restart.
Re: What Is Fat32 by emma2002(m): 9:39pm On Oct 15, 2008
The NTFS file system provides better performance and security for data on hard disks and partitions or volumes than the FAT file system used in some earlier version of Windows. If you have a partition that uses the earlier FAT16 or FAT32 file system, you can convert it to NTFS by using the convert command. Converting to NTFS does not affect the data on the partition.

Make sure you back up ur drive that you are converting as you may loose inportant files if there is any interruption, although you are converting to a better NTFS mind you cant revert back. Infact you may need to copy a missing file from your Os and see if this solves your problem b4 venturing into the reformating tarmac road better still have a PRO handle this as it is for advanced users who are ok with MS DOS.

To convert a hard disk or partition to NTFS format you can follow these steps

Notes
After you convert a partition to NTFS, you cannot convert it back. If you want to use the FAT file system on the partition again, you'll need to reformat the partition, and this will erase all data on it.

Some earlier versions of Windows cannot read data on local NTFS partitions. If you need to use an earlier version of Windows to access a partition on the computer, do not convert it.

Although the chance of corruption or data loss during a conversion is minimal, you should back up all data on the partition before you begin.

Close any open programs running on the partition or logical drive to be converted.

Click the Start button , click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In the Command Prompt window, type convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs, where drive_letter is the letter of the drive you want to convert, and then press ENTER. For example, convert E: /fs:ntfs would convert drive E to the NTFS format.

Type the name of the volume you want to convert, and then press ENTER. To view the available volumes, click the Start button , and then click Computer. The volumes are listed under Hard Disk Drives.

If the partition you are converting contains system files—which would be the case if you are converting your entire hard disk—you will need to restart your computer for the conversion to take place. If your disk is almost full, the conversion process might not succeed. If you receive an error, try deleting unnecessary files, or back up files to another location, to free up disk space.

(1) (Reply)

Cheap,relaible Bulk Sms Platform / Microsoft Displays Windows 8 Features: Watch The Video Here / WARNING: The Joe Hart Computer Virus Is Now Spreading On Internet?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.