Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,636 members, 7,958,921 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 07:24 AM

How He Contacted HIV Via Watermelon - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How He Contacted HIV Via Watermelon (3120 Views)

How I Would Have Contacted HIV/AIDS / Have I Contacted An Infection? / Ebola Can Now Be Contacted Through Eating Banana [ Must Read ] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How He Contacted HIV Via Watermelon by praiselin: 7:26pm On Jul 30, 2014
This young boy on that particular day walked up to a roadside mallam selling fruit to buy Watermelon. Some minutes later, he ate the Watermelon not washing it. Few months after, he fell extremely ill. At the hospital he was tested and in the process was also tested for  HIV and the result was Positive. These boy in question is not promiscuous as he is  still young and now  the big question is How did he contact HIV ? After series of investigation, it was traced back to the road side mallam who sold Watermelon to him. According to eye witnesses around, on that day the said mallam in process of cutting the fruits mistakenly cut his hand and  drops of his blood dropped on the watermelon and the hausa man ignorantly packaged the watermelon fruit without washing which the boy bought and ate without washing. That caused the boys misfortune. Even the mallam did not know he was  infected with the Virus.
A  Warning to everyone, Wash your fruits and food  before Eating to prevent sickness.
Live Healthy Eat Healthy foods.
Ffg @drmandyy I ffg back. www.drmandyy..com
Re: How He Contacted HIV Via Watermelon by delishpot: 7:32pm On Jul 30, 2014
praiselin: This young boy on that particular day walked up to a roadside mallam selling fruit to buy Watermelon. Some minutes later, he ate the Watermelon not washing it. Few months after, he fell extremely ill. At the hospital he was tested and in the process was also tested for  HIV and the result was Positive. These boy in question is not promiscuous as he is  still young and now  the big question is How did he contact HIV ? After series of investigation, it was traced back to the road side mallam who sold Watermelon to him. According to eye witnesses around, on that day the said mallam in process of cutting the fruits mistakenly cut his hand and  drops of his blood dropped on the watermelon and the hausa man ignorantly packaged the watermelon fruit without washing which the boy bought and ate without washing. That caused the boys misfortune. Even the mallam did not know he was  infected with the Virus.
A  Warning to everyone, Wash your fruits and food  before Eating to prevent sickness.
Live Healthy Eat Healthy foods.
Ffg @drmandyy I ffg back. www.drmandyy..com

best thing to do is to try to get malam tested. Kids get abused by adults and that boy may have been abused by someone and he isn't talking.
what if malam isn't HIV positive? where does the boy cut his hair? who in his family may be positive too ie he may have cut his finger using dads shaving blade to cut paper or what have you.
Besides washing already cut fruit isnt going to protect one from microbes best to buy the fruit whole and unbroken and then wash with mild soap before cutting. once a fruit or veg is cut, there is nothing else you can do to protect from contacting some stuff unless you cook it first.

2 Likes

Re: How He Contacted HIV Via Watermelon by Ab025(m): 8:01pm On Jul 30, 2014
Tanks for the info...

Its very helpful to me, xpecially as I eat watermelon much.
Re: How He Contacted HIV Via Watermelon by BoiledCorn: 8:10pm On Jul 30, 2014
That was how my nebor got hiv from mosquito bite (anoda story for another day)

1 Like

Re: How He Contacted HIV Via Watermelon by samtopy(m): 8:15pm On Jul 30, 2014
BoiledCorn: That was how my nebor got hiv from mosquito bite (anoda story for another day)

U can't contact HIV via mosquito bite
Re: How He Contacted HIV Via Watermelon by bodejohn(m): 9:24pm On Jul 30, 2014
samtopy:

U can't contact HIV via mosquito bite

And it is also near impossible to contact it through watermelons, the boy most likely had shared sharp objects with friends in the school or at the salon....kind of strange too that hiv would have made the boy very sick after just few months...

1 Like

Re: How He Contacted HIV Via Watermelon by Leopantro: 10:39pm On Jul 30, 2014
Have you heard of window period?
Re: How He Contacted HIV Via Watermelon by mstik(f): 2:11am On Jul 31, 2014
I've always imagined that something like this could happen although it sounds nearly impossible
Re: How He Contacted HIV Via Watermelon by seankay(m): 8:54am On Jul 31, 2014
The other day it was via Pineapple.Who saw the mallam when he cut himself? By my knowledge, hiv virus doesn't manifest asap, it takes atleast 3weeks so how did they trace it to the mallam?

Story for the gods undecided

2 Likes

Re: How He Contacted HIV Via Watermelon by delishpot: 9:10am On Jul 31, 2014
well, if he ate it as soon as malam cut and packed it, and the malam already infected the pineapple, its possible to be exposed to the virus and even get infected if he has a cut or open wound that will allow the virus enter his body. Yes its possible to get HIV through ingesting infected blood. My argument here is,
1 the boy may have contacted the Virus from another means
2 washing an already cut fruit will NOT, WILL NOT protect anyone from microbes, be it HIV, Salmonella etc. once a fruit is cut and if it is carrying germs or what ever, they spread. They don't just sit at the spot they were deposited. They begin to multiply if the chemical and temperature and texture of the fruit or food is favorable to them and thus they penetrate the fruit and just by washing the surface will not protect the eater.
the only way to avoid this is
1 cook food properly before eating(which you cant do with fruits and some vegs you want to eat fresh and raw)
2 Buy whole undamaged fruit and wash with mild soap and cut yourself to be sure.

no need to tell people to wash cut fruit. tell them to avoid buying it if they do not trust the hygiene level of the fruit seller and wash hands properly before eating.
they may rinse the fruit but it sure wont protect 100%, maybe it will remove surface dirt. that's all.
Re: How He Contacted HIV Via Watermelon by samtopy(m): 5:21pm On Jul 31, 2014
HIV is a RNA virus...meaning it can only live outside a living host for few minutes.
Re: How He Contacted HIV Via Watermelon by DRealGeesam(m): 6:49pm On Jul 31, 2014
samtopy: HIV is a RNA virus...meaning it can only live outside a living host for few minutes.
Funny that i could see some posters taking this yeye useless story serious.
Mtcheww
Thanks for pointing that out jare. Nigerians dont read that is y we have such silly stories here.

1 Like

Re: How He Contacted HIV Via Watermelon by MeAboki(m): 3:16am On Aug 01, 2014
^^^^^ Yes, I agree; though theoretically possible but almost practically impossible for the same reason you mentioned; also digestive enzymes would certainly destroy such labile organism as the HIV.
This explain why infected mothers are not prohibited from breast feeding their babies and also why it is safe to eat, drink and even share the same utensils with an infected person.
Re: How He Contacted HIV Via Watermelon by delishpot: 4:57pm On Aug 02, 2014
MeAboki: ^^^^^ Yes, I agree; though theoretically possible but almost practically impossible for the same reason you mentioned; also digestive enzymes would certainly destroy such labile organism as the HIV.
This explain why infected mothers are not prohibited from breast feeding their babies and also why it is safe to eat, drink and even share the same utensils with an infected person.

Hmm, the last time I checked infected mom's are advised against bre@$t feeding their babies o. The virus can be transmitted. Unless all the things I read nor be true.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How You Can Last Longer In Bed And End The Embarrasment Of Premature Expulsion. / shrink fibroid naturally yourself / Are You Hiv/aid Patient?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.