Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,284 members, 7,954,117 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:38 PM

Is Feminism 'Un-African'? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Feminism 'Un-African'? (6436 Views)

I Hate What Feminism Has Become / Is Feminism Really Un-african? / How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by zboyd: 7:44pm On Jul 30, 2014
A Brief History of African Feminism
by Minna Salami

Feminism is an absolute necessity for African societies.

We rank lowest in the global gender equality index, have some of the highest numbers of domestic violence, the highest number of female circumcision and other harmful traditions. Yet I keep landing on articles like 'Nigeria: Bolanle Awe and the Feminist Discourse' by Tunji Olaopa and ‘You Can’t Sit With Us’: Black Women And Feminism by Iman Hassan, which both start promisingly, then go on to make claims such as “…the first objective for the Nigerian woman is the imperative of family building as the first step in nation building” and “African women do not feel the same urgency or need to be liberated from their traditional gender roles” respectively. Really?

Or this fella, Ayo – Bankole Akintujoye, in his article 'Rejoinder to Sugabelly: Feminism, Gender Equality And The Hypocrisy Of It All' who earnestly asks:

“What is wrong with a woman being successful, and still bowing to her man?”

Dude…

I’ve argued oftentimes that feminism is not un-African, that it has always existed in Africa, that so many of the African women we love to love are/were feminists. But what exactly is the history of African feminism, you might be wondering.

While the term ‘feminism’ is an import to Africa (as all English words are), the concept of opposing patriarchy, the raison d’être of feminism if you like, is not foreign. Africa has some of the oldest civilizations in the world so while they didn’t always call it feminism (the noun) as far back as we can trace we know that there were women who were feminist (the adjective) and who found ways of opposing patriarchy. Feminism is an important part of African women’s "herstory".

Mamphela Ramphele, founder Agang

As an interest group, African feminism set off in the early twentieth century with women like Adelaide Casely-Hayford, the Sierra Leonian women’s rights activist referred to as the “African Victorian Feminist” who contributed widely to both pan-African and feminist goals, Charlotte Maxeke who in 1918 founded the Bantu Women’s League in South Africa and Huda Sharaawi who in 1923 established the Egyptian Feminist Union. African feminism as a movement stems also from the liberation struggles especially those in Algeria, Mozambique, Guinea, Angola and Kenya where women fighters fought alongside their male counterparts for state autonomy and women’s rights. African feminist icons from this period are women like the Mau-Mau rebel, Wambui Otieno, the freedom-fighters Lilian Ngoyi, Albertina Sisulu, Margaret Ekpo and Funmilayo Anikulapo-Kuti among many others who fought against colonialism as well as patriarchy (often through protest).

Modern African feminism was solidified during the landmark UN decade for women 1975 – 1985 which resulted in feminist activism and scholarship spreading widely across the continent and diaspora. Since then the African feminist movement has expanded in policy, legislation, scholarship and also in the cultural realm. It has to do with grassroots activism as well as intellectual activism, ‘bread and butter’ issues such as poverty reduction, violence prevention and reproductive rights as well as with lifestyle, popular culture, media, art and culture. It’s about confronting patriarchal mythmaking on one hand, and with the other we are equally challenged with tackling racist stereotypes. It has to do with these seven key issues in African feminist thought.

Today, African feminists scholars, activists, artists and politicians such as Leymah Gbowee, Joyce Banda, Simphiwe Dana and Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie as well as feminist organisations such as the African Feminist Forum and the African Gender Institute are at the forefront of using activism, knowledge and creativity to change situations that affect women negatively.

No one but African women ourselves can bear the responsibility to protect the histories of African women and to connect them to the situations of today. We have many glass ceilings to shatter. To begin to do so, we must realise that the current situation disadvantages women tremendously. Women are being systemically marginalised within both our local and global societies.

As our eyes increasingly open to this truth, we must continue to liberate and defend ourselves from limited notions of womanhood. It cannot be stressed enough how pressing that is. We don’t need to reinvent the wheel; we can and should take inspiration from those who are already reshaping the narrative of African womanhood and the truth is that feminism continues to be the tool of choice for many of us.

Source: msafropolitan.com

References: Ndate Yalla Mbodj (1810–1860) and P. David Boilat, Esquisses Sénégalaises (1853). The New York Public Library.

2 Likes

Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by Fulaman198(m): 7:55pm On Jul 30, 2014
No, it's not

At one point, Dahomey female warriors used to fight as ferociously as men.

I think with Westernisation, came all this "men are the heads" nonsense.

8 Likes

Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by Stillfire: 8:43pm On Jul 30, 2014
It's actually not unafrican.
African feminism was focused on 'women's rights'. Women looked out for their rights in traditionally african settings. It is the introduction of foreign religions that killed these female political structures and they lost their vibrancy. As much as most of Africa was a patriarchy, women's voices were not silent. These female groups provided checks and balances under the patriarchical system. Foreign religions encouraged the silence of women under the cloak of submission, headship. During the Aba women war in the 1920's the colonialists assumed it were men that perpetrated the ruckus but were stunned to find out it was women...women fighting for their rights that the colonialists had usurped. Nollywood does not help matters either on how African societies were set up. Strong female political groups are hardly represented in the so called epic movies. I wait for the day our stories would be told with more facts than fiction.

6 Likes

Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by pelvicky(m): 5:04am On Jul 31, 2014
Dnt knw wat to say

All is gud,,,BLACKS ARE BEAUTIFUL
Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by Nobody: 5:17am On Jul 31, 2014
yes it is not African!
Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by adezjamz(m): 5:22am On Jul 31, 2014
The way things are going, men will soon cry for gender equality.

3 Likes

Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by unapologetic: 5:29am On Jul 31, 2014
I wouldn't say Feminism is un-African because we never believed in it ( right from during our forefathers) and in as much as I support it, I think we are taking it to the extreme.
Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by Smartsyn(m): 5:39am On Jul 31, 2014
Come again please, you say......?
Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by Roland17(m): 5:39am On Jul 31, 2014
Here we go again!!

2 Likes

Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by nickz(m): 5:48am On Jul 31, 2014
women always cry for gender equality,but when you start treating them like male they start complaining

women sometimes confuse me more than calculus

9 Likes

Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by red101(f): 5:49am On Jul 31, 2014
of course not. Is 'human rights' also un-African?

3 Likes

Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by Project400: 6:11am On Jul 31, 2014
Interesting smiley
Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by Opiosko: 6:13am On Jul 31, 2014
nickz: women always cry for gender equality,but when you start treating them like male they start complaining

women sometimes confuse me more than calculus
Pls take it easy with them sir. Women are confused creature by nature, that explains their endless deman of give me this, give that, buy me this, buy me that. They are looking for some sense of satisfaction which they cannot find within themselves. Pity those poor emotional being. If u gat a gal that truly loves u, observe he well u will understand it better

6 Likes

Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by nickz(m): 6:20am On Jul 31, 2014
Opiosko: Pls take it easy with them sir. Women are confused creature by nature, that explains their endless deman of give me this, give that, buy me this, buy me that. They are looking for some sense of satisfaction which they cannot find within themselves. Pity those poor emotional being. If u gat a gal that truly loves u, observe he well u will understand it better
bwhahahaha you are 100% on point....more confusing than differentiating a donkey from a mule!
Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by elguaje(m): 6:35am On Jul 31, 2014
Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by englishmart(m): 6:42am On Jul 31, 2014
Feminism isn't an African stuff. But Africans have started adopting it.

Feminism is bad and should be discouraged. Men and women are not equal.

We are the heads. And there is nothing anyone can do about it.
#the painful truth#
Oya E-warriors over to you

1 Like

Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by nofij(m): 6:47am On Jul 31, 2014
nickz: bwhahahaha you are 100% on point....more confusing than differentiating a donkey from a mule!
Bros your signature...it is wao
Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by HandOfChukwu: 6:48am On Jul 31, 2014
Up until the 60's when feminism was invented in America the African-American community was stable and full of happy families even in the midst of heavy racism, but once feminism came into play this all ended and now all they do is kill each other over streets they don't own.

Moral of the story? FEMINISM IS BAD AND VERY UN-AFRICAN.

1 Like

Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by Nobody: 6:49am On Jul 31, 2014
All those women wanting gender equality only want it were it benefit them like jobs,position etc but if it about manual labours lyk cutting grass,lifting heavy materials,paying the bills,defendind the home even at the expense of life dem be like Men are the head.

1 Like

Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by Smartlux(m): 7:08am On Jul 31, 2014
undecided
Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by Nobody: 7:11am On Jul 31, 2014
So much pro-feminist thread on NL these days. Smh! Why can't america and their LGBT leave africa alone? So funny how we'll say we have real pastors when none of them is preaching against this movement that is aimed at destroying God's institution. Why don't anti-feminist threads make front page?
Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by nickz(m): 7:21am On Jul 31, 2014
nofij:
Bros your signature...it is wao
Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by lilmax(m): 7:35am On Jul 31, 2014
The worst part is that they dont know what feminism is all about
Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by pickabeau1: 7:42am On Jul 31, 2014
zboyd.. yesterday you said you were not a feminist that you dont do follow follow...

Why this post now

zboyd:

If you had been following my posts, I stated more than once that I am not a follow-follow type of woman.

I have no need to follow the ideology of some white women unhappy with their lot with white men (Feminism)...because that's where the concept started...with middle-class white women who wanted a life outside of being a housewife and mother and their husbands wouldn't allow them to.

Therefore, I am not a feminist.

I follow ZBoydology - I think for myself.

1 Like

Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by Nobody: 7:46am On Jul 31, 2014
Nice post, totally on point. smiley
Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by winiwini: 8:43am On Jul 31, 2014
ITS TOTALLY UN-AFRICAN!!!

MOST AFRICAN WOMEN COPY, THEY DONT INITIATE.

AFRICAN MEN LISTEN, AND ARE DIRECTED BY WOMEN.

WHAT ELSE DO THEY WANT? D*CK?

AM A REAL AFRICAN MAN, NOT AND NEVER AMERICAN!!!!!
Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by rill: 9:00am On Jul 31, 2014
Una no dy taya for dis topic?

1 Like

Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by switosman(m): 9:34am On Jul 31, 2014
A woman cannot be feminist and also be a lady. They are two sides of a coin, feminist shout " I am independent, I can handle my own" but a lady says "I am classy, handle me with care and respect". Watch the so called feminist, they want both and opposing sides of the world. What a Confusion.
Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by logica(m): 10:01am On Jul 31, 2014
You cannot bundle all African ethnic groups together. We do not ALL share the same culture and virtues. For instance, from the narrative of Moremi, the egalitarian nature of Yoruba society is pretty obvious. I cannot speak for others.
Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by myspnigeria: 10:52am On Jul 31, 2014
Very much unlike us
Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by brucelkelley: 11:57am On Jul 31, 2014
my best friend's mother-in-law makes $72 /hour on the internet . She has been laid off for six months but last month her payment was $21211 just working on the internet for a few hours. try this web-site............. cheesy........ WWW.WORKTIN.COM

(1) (2) (Reply)

All You Need To Know About Osun-osogbo And The History Of Osogbo. / What The Quran Says About Jesus Christ And Mary / Igbo Lettering

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.