Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,744 members, 7,827,743 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:09 PM

Mobile Devs Ignoring A Large Market - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Mobile Devs Ignoring A Large Market (854 Views)

Devs: Here Is A Free Idea For You / Are Nigerian Web Devs Scared Of Java? / Java Devs, Which Do You Prefer? Eclipse Or Netbeans? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mobile Devs Ignoring A Large Market by asalimpo(m): 6:32am On Jul 31, 2014
Many smartphones in the market dont run on android or ios. They run on java j2me. And their lowcost compared to android phones of same functionalities means theyre in use by many people more ppl thn android and more prohibitive ios phones.
Re: Mobile Devs Ignoring A Large Market by Nobody: 7:18am On Jul 31, 2014
You're wrong
Re: Mobile Devs Ignoring A Large Market by toshodei: 9:10am On Jul 31, 2014
asalimpo: Many smartphones in the market dont run on android or ios. They run on java j2me. And their lowcost compared to android phones of same functionalities means theyre in use by many people more ppl thn android and more prohibitive ios phones.

1. What market are you specifically talking about? Nigeria? Africa? The World?
2. Are u trying to say that many featured phones run on Java/J2ME and that many users in the African market use featured phones, because they are cheaper than smartphones?
Re: Mobile Devs Ignoring A Large Market by asalimpo(m): 3:33pm On Jul 31, 2014
toshodei:

1. What market are you specifically talking about? Nigeria? Africa? The World?
2. Are u trying to say that many featured phones run on Java/J2ME and that many users in the African market use featured phones, because they are cheaper than smartphones?
market - nigeria.
Most feature phones run java - yes.
Cheaper thn comparative smartphones - yes.
The nokia asha brand is still selling in d market and it was a huge hit,meang they's a sizable java me unserved segment being ignored. The blackberry < q,z series all run java. And all those bold,curve,etc phones are still selling. Sad,tht oracle has no plans for upgrading java me beyond java 1.3! So no books on it (recently) but there are millions of java phones around. Android phones are basically pc-spec ranges hence their price tag is high. If this low end phones were servced, the market cud b milked for some more years bf it dries up (to d onslaught of android). Forget ios, its too expensive to become ubiquitious and generate a sizable market. In d tablet arena, i bet bb will win. Its playbook is economical <$200 and its a powerful brand making a come back.

1 Like

Re: Mobile Devs Ignoring A Large Market by toshodei: 4:23pm On Jul 31, 2014
asalimpo:
market - nigeria.
Most feature phones run java - yes.
Cheaper thn comparative smartphones - yes.
The nokia asha brand is still selling in d market and it was a huge hit,meang they's a sizable java me unserved segment being ignored. The blackberry < q,z series all run java. And all those bold,curve,etc phones are still selling. Sad,tht oracle has no plans for upgrading java me beyond java 1.3! So no books on it (recently) but there are millions of java phones around. Android phones are basically pc-spec ranges hence their price tag is high. If this low end phones were servced, the market cud b milked for some more years bf it dries up (to d onslaught of android). Forget ios, its too expensive to become ubiquitious and generate a sizable market. In d tablet arena, i bet bb will win. Its playbook is economical <$200 and its a powerful brand making a come back.

Yes, you are pretty right, but as smartphones get cheaper do u think people with feature phones will switch? Also are u saying that we should focus on building J2ME Apps instead of Android & iOS?
Re: Mobile Devs Ignoring A Large Market by toshodei: 4:25pm On Jul 31, 2014
You know since BB, Nokia (& other feature phones) & Android all run on Java, the trick is to build 1 app (either BB, J2ME or Android) and then convert it to everything else.

But also, don't lose foresight and check this link ~> http://techcrunch.com/2014/07/30/the-one-horse-race-android-represented-85-of-the-300m-smartphones-shipped-in-q2/
Re: Mobile Devs Ignoring A Large Market by asalimpo(m): 5:30pm On Jul 31, 2014
toshodei:

Yes, you are pretty right, but as smartphones get cheaper do u think people with feature phones will switch? Also are u saying that we should focus on building J2ME Apps instead of Android & iOS?
bottom line j2me is dead. There's no resurgence for it. But the nokia asha phones ppl bought two years ago and this year will still b in use for the next 3 years. The blackberries that are not q10,q this or that or Z<choose a random number less than 11 > will still b around for about 5 years. The feature phones tht hav a jvm on them will b supplanted with these hand me downs so in one or d other j2me phones will have a life span of say 5 years. Wen som1 wants to drop his asha phone for a an android he'll hand it to his househelp , preteen and those one's will need apps.
So there's a huge market,running in millions. This is cash on d table.

Focus on j2me over android? No, do all of them.
Will ppl switch ? Yes but some will maintain 2 or more phones .
Ppl wont throw away workg phones.
Ppl still use windows xp. Though its dying out. Most sotware are available for xp and above . Xp isnt completely ignored but its on its way out. Thts d logic.

1 Like

Re: Mobile Devs Ignoring A Large Market by toshodei: 5:48pm On Jul 31, 2014
Yeah I see what you are saying. Personally I think that the main problem is the app. Like a killer app will make users move from 1 platform to another. For instance, think of NL (NairaLand). NL is a semi-killer app. If we can have a killer app that will make the internet useful 2 Nigerians or Africans, then everybody will shift regardless of what phone they are using. Thats why I think 2go is better than Facebook in the Nigerian Market. Like u said, 2go targets feature phones as well.

(1) (Reply)

Please Help.. How Do I Stop This? / Database Management / Alexa Rrank Checker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.