Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,217 members, 7,822,107 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:37 AM

Were You Part Of These Golden Childhood Years??? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Were You Part Of These Golden Childhood Years??? (725 Views)

Golden Rules Of Life To Be Considered In 2013 / Habits You've Had Since Childhood? / Where Did You Spend Your Childhood? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Were You Part Of These Golden Childhood Years??? by Eberex(m): 11:45am On Jul 31, 2014
I enjoyed my childhood to the fullest. I don't know about you but I believe those of us who grew up in neighborhoods where we are allowed to play on the un-tarred streets really had a swell time, but I don't think the rich kids who lived behind high fenced buildings are inclusive. Most of the games we played were invented by ourselves, while some were passed on to us, and when I look at todays generation of kids I don't ENVY them at all. And no matter how much I try to tell them or describe how it was during our days, they still cannot imagine the fun we had.

Below and few of the games we played. I might not have explained them well but I believe you will get the picture if you are indeed part of this WONDERFUL GENERATION OF KIDS. Please be free to add yours.

GAMES WE PLAYED AS KIDS DURING THE 80's and 90's

Table Soccer Game: Here we used bottle corks as the players while the goal-keeper is shaped to stand upright. The goal post is normally made from paper sheets or when we have the materials we use aluminum rods and mosquito net. Our fingers represented what we call ''game pads today''

Suwe Game: Lines in box shapes are drawn on the ground and each player or two would take turns in throwing either a stone or any object on each box. Then standing and leaping on one feet you pick up the stone, then go round and return to the starting point.

Catcher: Here one person chases the rest. As long as the chaser doesn't touch anyone, he/she will continue to do the chasing.

Ten-Ten: How do I describe this. Its actually a girls game. Clapping, jumping and stretching out one leg simultaneously with the opponent. If the same leg was stretched by both players three times; its game over.

Number 1: Three or four players on each sides competing. An umpire stands at the center with an outstretched arm holding a stick with a cloth on it, he calls any number he chooses, already each competing opponents have a number assigned to him/her. When a number is called, an opponent from each side runs towards the umpire, and who ever grabs the clothe and run back to the starting point without being touched by the opposing opponent wins.

Tire fight: Rubber Tires from vehicles are used as shields (the way Muslims uses rams to fight against other rams). But here when your tire and the opponent tire collides, the tire to fall first loses while the other tire to fall last or still stands as the case may be wins.

Flying Kite: Well we all know what a kite look like. Those days there are competition on how high your kite can rise and also how beautiful it is, and in most cases you find kites intertwined to electricity cables from the street poles. I remember the state government putting a stop to children flying kites because of this.

Toy cars: Making of toys cars from soap or sugar cartons. crown corks as tires and sometimes we use tin cans. tie a rope to the front and drive them by pulling them along.

Wooden Carts: As a result of the burden we get from carrying waste through some distance just to dispose them to the designated refusal dumpsite, we had to make wooden carts, the shape of a wheel barrow of course. tires can be gotten from any shop, but other body works are constructed with any found woods and nails.

Horse race: Here we have teams comprised of two people. One person will carry the other at their back and run to the finish line.

Wagon Race: Same as above only we have three people in a team. One stands behind with both hands placed at the shoulders of the other team member, and then the third person sits on the arms. The three are expected to cross the finish line to claim victory.

Papa and Mama Game: We play the role of adults. Making of money using papers; making of dishes wit the help of tin cans (most times tin milk and geisha), making fire from woods that serves as stove. Getting any ingredient from whoever would volunteer to steal from their own kitchen.
Re: Were You Part Of These Golden Childhood Years??? by papadjaji: 12:02pm On Jul 31, 2014
Agbaya grin
Hope u didn't 4get "police n thief"?
Even played d modified table soccer till jss 3. [Tudun Wada, Wuse Zone 4]. It was a botton played wt pen cover, the goal keepers r those football stars card that comes wt 1 "chingum" like dt. Ds was early 90's.
Technology don rub our kids sa.
Re: Were You Part Of These Golden Childhood Years??? by Eberex(m): 12:23pm On Jul 31, 2014
papadjaji: Agbaya grin
Hope u didn't 4get "police n thief"?
Even played d modified table soccer till jss 3. [Tudun Wada, Wuse Zone 4]. It was a botton played wt pen cover, the goal keepers r those football stars card that comes wt 1 "chingum" like dt. Ds was early 90's.
Technology don rub our kids sa.

Police and thief !!! how do you suppose I will remember them all ! And you are right bro, Technology didn't help matter in this area I tell you.
Re: Were You Part Of These Golden Childhood Years??? by timsbee(f): 9:44pm On Jul 31, 2014
Durin holiday na im play play dey sweet pass. I cant forget sand house: we build dis with our leg coverd in wet sand, den we remove d leg nd use our bare hands nd pack out d excess sand in d hole nd viola... Sand castle is set. D sweetest os Boju Boju o, oh!, oloro nbo, oh! E para mo, oh! Se ki n si? E ni to loro ba mu....... Complete d rest abeg.lol.

1 Like

Re: Were You Part Of These Golden Childhood Years??? by Eberex(m): 8:21am On Aug 01, 2014
timsbee: Durin holiday na im play play dey sweet pass. I cant forget sand house: we build dis with our leg coverd in wet sand, den we remove d leg nd use our bare hands nd pack out d excess sand in d hole nd viola... Sand castle is set. D sweetest os Boju Boju o, oh!, oloro nbo, oh! E para mo, oh! Se ki n si? E ni to loro ba mu....... Complete d rest abeg.lol.

..........................a pa je

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Collection And Registration For Permanent Voters Card Problem / Picture Of Nigerian Soldiers Dancing Kukere. / 9 Scariest Things In Nigeria Right Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.