Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,236 members, 7,811,653 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:43 PM

Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously (5036 Views)

The Need For The First Nigeria Owned Billion Dollar Company In Nigeria / Nairaland Has Changed My Name From Pc Guru To Pcguru1 / Multi-Player Whot & Ludo Game For Phones: Please Help Us Test This App (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by toshodei: 4:38pm On Jul 31, 2014
I've been observing NairaLand (NL for short) and I've noticed that it has a potential to become Nigeria's multi-billion dollar startup. Here is why:

1. NL is Nigeria's Google (or it can be used a search engine to find relevant info in Nigeria)
2. NL is Nigeria's StackOverflow (just look at the programming section)
3. NL is Nigeria's CraigsList (look at all the books, land, phones and etc. things that people want to sell)
4. NL is Nigeria's Facebook & 2go (if NL could add a chat app to this it will destroy Facebook in The Nigerian Market)
5. NL is Nigeria's Twitter (NL needs a better mobile app, and with it can beat Twitter in the Nigerian Market)
6. NL is Nigeria's CNN+BBC (just look at the front page)
7. NL can be Nigeria's YouTube (once the internet speeds up and videos are added, NL can compete with YouTube & Hulu)
8. NL is Nigeria's oDesk, eLance and other freelancing sites (look at how many people come here looking for workers or programmers)
9. NL can be Nigeria's NYSE (if certain graphics are added, NL can do it)
10. NL is Nigeria's Amazon + eBay (sort of like Craigslist but with PayPal and other payment exchanges, it can get big.)

5 Likes

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by cirmuell(m): 4:47pm On Jul 31, 2014
Seun can we get an 'Overview' feature so we'll know what's in a thread before we open it? angry

#Crap

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by GodMode: 4:50pm On Jul 31, 2014

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by fattbabakay(m): 4:54pm On Jul 31, 2014
toshodei: I've been observing NairaLand (NL for short) and I've noticed that it has a potential to become Nigeria's multi-billion dollar startup. Here is why:

1. NL is Nigeria's Google (or it can be used a search engine to find relevant info in Nigeria)
3. NL is Nigeria's CraigsList (look at all the books, land, phones and etc. things that people want to sell)
4. NL is Nigeria's Facebook & 2go (if NL could add a chat app to this it will destroy Facebook in The Nigerian Market)
5. NL is Nigeria's Twitter (NL needs a better mobile app, and with it can beat Twitter in the Nigerian Market)
7. NL can be Nigeria's YouTube (once the internet speeds up and videos are added, NL can compete with YouTube & Hulu)
8. NL is Nigeria's oDesk, eLance and other freelancing sites (look at how many people come here looking for workers or programmers)
10. NL is Nigeria's Amazon + eBay (sort of like Craigslist but with PayPal and other payment exchanges, it can get big.)
so?

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by toshodei: 4:56pm On Jul 31, 2014
Dreams are good for the future as long as you dream with your eyes open. Facebook, Google, YouTube and others were dreams at 1st and they they blew up. NL is a multi-billion dollar startup.

Here is a list of ridiculous startup ideas that became successful:

The best startups seem obvious in retrospect - this is because by the time we found out about them as users they had already reached critical mass.

It is possible to create a good startup with a good idea, but great startups are often the result of ideas that would have seemed ridiculous if you had heard them prior to seeing them working.

This is true almost by definition - if they had been so obvious, someone would have done them already.

Ask yourself, if you were a venture capitalist pitched one of these ideas, what would your reaction have been?

Facebook - the world needs yet another Myspace or Friendster except several years late. We'll only open it up to a few thousand overworked, anti-social, Ivy Leaguers. Everyone else will then join since Harvard students are so cool.

Dropbox - we are going to build a file sharing and syncing solution when the market has a dozen of them that no one uses, supported by big companies like Microsoft. It will only do one thing well, and you'll have to move all of your content to use it.

Amazon - we'll sell books online, even though users are still scared to use credit cards on the web. Their shipping costs will eat up any money they save. They'll do it for the convenience, even though they have to wait a week for the book.

Virgin Atlantic - airlines are cool. Let's start one. How hard could it be? We'll differentiate with a funny safety video and by not being a**holes.

Mint - give us all of your bank, brokerage, and credit card information. We'll give it back to you with nice fonts. To make you feel richer, we'll make them green.

Palantir - we'll build arcane analytics software, put the company in California, hire a bunch of new college grad engineers, many of them immigrants, hire no sales reps, and close giant deals with D.C.-based defense and intelligence agencies!

Craigslist - it will be ugly. It will be free. Except for the hookers.

iOS - a brand new operating system that doesn't run a single one of the millions of applications that have been developed for Mac OS, Windows, or Linux. Only Apple can build apps for it. It won't have cut and paste.

Google - we are building the world's 20th search engine at a time when most of the others have been abandoned as being commoditized money losers. We'll strip out all of the ad-supported news and portal features so you won't be distracted from using the free search stuff.

Github - software engineers will pay monthly fees for the rest of their lives in order to create free software out of other free software!

PayPal - people will use their insecure AOL and Yahoo email addresses to pay each other real money, backed by a non-bank with a cute name run by 20-somethings.

Paperless Post - we are like Evite, except you pay us. All of your friends will know that you are an idiot.

Instagram - filters! That's right, we got filters!

LinkedIn - how about a professional social network, aimed at busy 30- and 40-somethings. They will use it once every 5 years when they go job searching.

Tesla - instead of just building batteries and selling them to Detroit, we are going to build our own cars from scratch plus own the distribution network. During a recession and a cleantech backlash.

SpaceX - if NASA can do it, so can we! It ain't rocket science.

Firefox - we are going to build a better web browser, even though 90% of the world's computers already have a free one built in. One guy will do most of the work.

Twitter - it is like email, SMS, or RSS. Except it does a lot less. It will be used mostly by geeks at first, followed by Britney Spears and Charlie Sheen.

Link ~> http://www.quora.com/Survey-Questions/What-were-the-most-ridiculous-startup-ideas-that-eventually-became-successful
Link ~> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/12/ridiculous-startup-ideas_n_3071538.html

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by SpaceGoat: 5:01pm On Jul 31, 2014
trying to buy this site from seun years ago but today i think its beter not to .

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by GodMode: 5:03pm On Jul 31, 2014
toshodei Those things you listed are listed with solutions not dreams

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by asalimpo(m): 5:05pm On Jul 31, 2014
fattbabakay: so?
wen seun buys you , you landlord and ur future - you'll know this aint peanuts!
so?

4 Likes

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by fattbabakay(m): 5:06pm On Jul 31, 2014
asalimpo:
so?
are u planning not to be bigger dan seun himself??

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by toshodei: 5:11pm On Jul 31, 2014
SpaceGoat: trying to buy this site from seun years ago but today i think its beter not to .

Spacegoat, do u know how much this site is worth now? This site is worth in the range of $1 to $3 Million dollars. What are you talking about? Its ranked number 8th in Nigeria according to Alexa. Number 913 in the world. Check the facts ~> http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/www.nairaland.com

It has 13 million hits per day, according to ~> http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=www.nairaland.com# This site is a billion dollar startup, check your facts. 1.9 million visitors per day.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by GodMode: 5:12pm On Jul 31, 2014
asalimpo:
so?

I have a dream

That one day

Nairaland will have competitors

That will make nairaland

Just another forum.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by toshodei: 5:13pm On Jul 31, 2014
cirmuell: Seun can we get an 'Overview' feature so we'll know what's in a thread before we open it? angry

#Crap

What do you mean by crap? Im over here stating facts. Before you post opinion or says something, back at it up.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by toshodei: 5:15pm On Jul 31, 2014
GodMode: toshodei Those things you listed are listed with solutions not dreams

What do you mean by listed with solutions not dreams? Please clarify. Those site are the same as Nairaland.

Nairaland is like the Alibaba of Nigeria. Check this article out ~> http://qz.com/206283/all-the-western-companies-youd-have-to-combine-to-get-something-like-alibaba/?source=HackerNews&referrer=Anuj+Adhiya
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by toshodei: 5:17pm On Jul 31, 2014
GodMode:

I have a dream

That one day

Nairaland will have competitors

That will make nairaland

Just another forum.

They already do. If NL is not careful, YM might take over.
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by asalimpo(m): 5:17pm On Jul 31, 2014
toshodei: Dreams are good for the future as long as you dream with your eyes open. Facebook, Google, YouTube and others were dreams at 1st and they they blew up. NL is a multi-billion dollar startup.

Here is a list of ridiculous startup ideas that became successful:

The best startups seem obvious in retrospect - this is because by the time we found out about them as users they had already reached critical mass.

It is possible to create a good startup with a good idea, but great startups are often the result of ideas that would have seemed ridiculous if you had heard them prior to seeing them working.

This is true almost by definition - if they had been so obvious, someone would have done them already.

Ask yourself, if you were a venture capitalist pitched one of these ideas, what would your reaction have been?

Facebook - the world needs yet another Myspace or Friendster except several years late. We'll only open it up to a few thousand overworked, anti-social, Ivy Leaguers. Everyone else will then join since Harvard students are so cool.

Dropbox - we are going to build a file sharing and syncing solution when the market has a dozen of them that no one uses, supported by big companies like Microsoft. It will only do one thing well, and you'll have to move all of your content to use it.

Amazon - we'll sell books online, even though users are still scared to use credit cards on the web. Their shipping costs will eat up any money they save. They'll do it for the convenience, even though they have to wait a week for the book.

Virgin Atlantic - airlines are cool. Let's start one. How hard could it be? We'll differentiate with a funny safety video and by not being a**holes.

Mint - give us all of your bank, brokerage, and credit card information. We'll give it back to you with nice fonts. To make you feel richer, we'll make them green.

Palantir - we'll build arcane analytics software, put the company in California, hire a bunch of new college grad engineers, many of them immigrants, hire no sales reps, and close giant deals with D.C.-based defense and intelligence agencies!

Craigslist - it will be ugly. It will be free. Except for the hookers.

iOS - a brand new operating system that doesn't run a single one of the millions of applications that have been developed for Mac OS, Windows, or Linux. Only Apple can build apps for it. It won't have cut and paste.

Google - we are building the world's 20th search engine at a time when most of the others have been abandoned as being commoditized money losers. We'll strip out all of the ad-supported news and portal features so you won't be distracted from using the free search stuff.

Github - software engineers will pay monthly fees for the rest of their lives in order to create free software out of other free software!

PayPal - people will use their insecure AOL and Yahoo email addresses to pay each other real money, backed by a non-bank with a cute name run by 20-somethings.

Paperless Post - we are like Evite, except you pay us. All of your friends will know that you are an idiot.

Instagram - filters! That's right, we got filters!

LinkedIn - how about a professional social network, aimed at busy 30- and 40-somethings. They will use it once every 5 years when they go job searching.

Tesla - instead of just building batteries and selling them to Detroit, we are going to build our own cars from scratch plus own the distribution network. During a recession and a cleantech backlash.

SpaceX - if NASA can do it, so can we! It ain't rocket science.

Firefox - we are going to build a better web browser, even though 90% of the world's computers already have a free one built in. One guy will do most of the work.

Twitter - it is like email, SMS, or RSS. Except it does a lot less. It will be used mostly by geeks at first, followed by Britney Spears and Charlie Sheen.

Link ~> http://www.quora.com/Survey-Questions/What-were-the-most-ridiculous-startup-ideas-that-eventually-became-successful
Link ~> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/12/ridiculous-startup-ideas_n_3071538.html

seun,is too slow. 3 slow. But mayb thts cuz he's carryng too much load.
Suggestions hav poored in, but d guy too dull to implement them.
NL is already a portal- a fast ceo wud push it towrds being a media arm, give rich media fronts (like yahoo).
Or create thematic contents like google (sallah,christmas,independence shud carry visual themes. Chibok shud carry a black glummy theme)
again,a departmnt for media actvties shud b created.
Branching out, NL app, y dnt evrybody access fb from browser? The app is more convenient.
Private chat, you wanna hav 1on1 without publishg phone number or dropping email id, just like it was possible on yahoo messenger,fb.
This feature alone cries out.

Seun's savg grace is tht there is no serious competitor.

5 Likes

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by SpaceGoat: 5:18pm On Jul 31, 2014
toshodei:

Spacegoat, do u know how much this site is worth now? This site is worth in the range of $1 to $3 Million dollars. What are you talking about? Its ranked number 8th in Nigeria according to Alexa. Number 913 in the world. Check the facts ~> http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/www.nairaland.com

It has 13 million hits per day, according to ~> http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=www.nairaland.com# This site is a billion dollar startup, check your facts. 1.9 million visitors per day.
hmmm.are you seun brother? im not buying again. !! i have some ware i want to spend my money. angry

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by toshodei: 5:20pm On Jul 31, 2014
SpaceGoat: hmmm.are you seun brother? im not buying again. !! i have some ware i want to spend my money. angry

I am not Mr. Seun sir, but how much do you want to spend? What is your budget? We can flip domain and websites everywhere but buying low, recreating and selling high.
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by GodMode: 5:20pm On Jul 31, 2014
toshodei:

They already do. If NL is not careful, YM might take over.

Never heard of YM...
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by toshodei: 5:21pm On Jul 31, 2014
asalimpo:

seun,is too slow. 3 slow. But mayb thts cuz he's carryng too much load.
Suggestions hav poored in, but d guy too dull to implement them.
NL is already a portal- a fast ceo wud push it towrds being a media arm, give rich media fronts (like yahoo).
Or create thematic contents like google (sallah,christmas,independence shud carry visual themes. Chibok shud carry a black glummy theme)
again,a departmnt for media actvties shud b created.
Branching out, NL app, y dnt evrybody access fb from browser? The app is more convenient.
Private chat, you wanna hav 1on1 without publishg phone number or dropping email id, just like it was possible on yahoo messenger,fb.
This feature alone cries out.

Seun's savg grace is tht there is no serious competitor.

I totally agree with everything you said. Maybe Mr. Seun needs help. NL is a multi-billion dollar startup, if taken seriously like I said.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by SpaceGoat: 5:22pm On Jul 31, 2014
toshodei:

I am not Mr. Seun sir, but how much do you want to spend? What is your budget? We can flip domain and websites everywhere but buying low, recreating and selling high.
i was thinking taught of range between 2 - 3 million dollar before angry !!

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by toshodei: 5:24pm On Jul 31, 2014
SpaceGoat: i was thinking taught of range between 2 - 3 million dollar before angry !!

Its growing everyday sir. It makes about $30,000 - $50,000 a month and as the young generation of Nigeria gets phones and are being redirected here, NL is getting more popular.
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by toshodei: 5:25pm On Jul 31, 2014
For any doubters, here is a link ~> http://rcs.seerinteractive.com/money/ of how your major tech startups like Google, Facebook, YouTube and etc make money. Plz tell me, which startup on this list or which way of money on this list, can NL not implement if they are dedicated with the great user base?
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by toshodei: 5:26pm On Jul 31, 2014
GodMode:

Never heard of YM...

YM = (YanMe) Its banned here tho.
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by GodMode: 5:36pm On Jul 31, 2014
toshodei:

YM = (YanMe) Its banned here tho.

is just another forum... Anyone can build.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by inspiratio: 5:47pm On Jul 31, 2014
toshodei: I've been observing NairaLand (NL for short) and I've noticed that it has a potential to become Nigeria's multi-billion dollar startup. Here is why:

There are few people that reason positively, the few who can see what million what million other men cannot see. I share your vision, good observation.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by toshodei: 5:50pm On Jul 31, 2014
GodMode:

is just another forum... Anyone can build.

Building is one thing. Getting user base is another. Look at Reddit, Reddit is a forum that has a billion startup valuation with all the users. NL is like Nigeria's Reddit. Another billion dollar startup company.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by asalimpo(m): 5:50pm On Jul 31, 2014
Seun has no R&D or business vision.
All tht is needed to seriously rattle it ,is focused well funded forum-as-a-business minded competitor emerging outta d woodworks to wrestle market share with it. But investors wont want to put their money there. The returns will b too low for their taste. It will take time ,say 2-5,years to establish itself. Etc.
So seun has gat all day dally on issues.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by toshodei: 5:51pm On Jul 31, 2014
inspiratio:

There are few people that reason positively, the few who can see what million what million other men cannot see. I share your vision, good observation.

Thank you and I appreciate it @inspiratio. But its time we put in the work. Lets get this done.
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by toshodei: 5:53pm On Jul 31, 2014
asalimpo: Seun has no R&grin or business vision.
All tht is needed to seriously rattle it ,is focused well funded forum-as-a-business minded competitor emerging outta d woodworks to wrestle market share with it. But investors wont want to put their money there. The returns will b too low for their taste. It will take time ,say 2-5,years to establish itself. Etc.
So seun has gat all day dally on issues.

Everything you've been spitting @asalimpo, is on point and thats why I think that if NL is not careful, YM will take over. Ive lurked and spied on the owner of YM, and that boy sounds hungry. His team sounds hungry. NL needs to watch out.

Still what does Mr. Seun need? Does he have a hq for his company in Abeokuta? Like what is holding him up from being number 1 in Africa and then number 1 in the world?
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by SpaceGoat: 6:01pm On Jul 31, 2014
toshodei:

Its growing everyday sir. It makes about $30,000 - $50,000 a month and as the young generation of Nigeria gets phones and are being redirected here, NL is getting more popular.
do you think it good business you sound like you know thing about bussines management and profit return , i like people who kmow thing about bussiness manage and profit return !! do you read it in skul? is youre pm working?? re you still student? if
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by GodMode: 6:02pm On Jul 31, 2014
toshodei:

Building is one thing. Getting user base is another. Look at Reddit, Reddit is a forum that has a billion startup valuation with all the users. NL is like Nigeria's Reddit. Another billion dollar startup company.

Warrior forum and bhw were built using vBulletin forum software meaning they were not built from scratch and they have a user base NL can only dream of and they rank higher than NL.

NL does not even have half of what this vBulletin forum software has. I can create a Forum that will bury NL anytime anyday with just the software but I'm still learning about the internet.

Any serious programmer can create something that'll surpass NL especially with a strong financial backing within 3 months to 1 year.
Re: Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously by ClintonNzedimma(m): 6:08pm On Jul 31, 2014
Its what you guys think.
What you guys are saying is exactly what killed yahoo.It became a website of no specific description.
Let Seun see this thread, he would probably give you the same answer.
Nairaland is okay and fine to me, what i just want nairaland to have is just 3 million registered and active users by 2015

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Beginning Android Programming. Come Lets Start Together. / Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate / Software Development Is Now An Oversaturated Field

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.