Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,148 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:48 PM

Advice Need For A 12yr Old Who Wants Computer Knowledge - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Advice Need For A 12yr Old Who Wants Computer Knowledge (1068 Views)

Im A Java Expert Here To Teach Those Who Wants To Learn. / 12yr Old Nigerian Is A Java Certified Programmer / Who Wants to Start an Electronic Game Development Company? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Need For A 12yr Old Who Wants Computer Knowledge by chux76(m): 12:00pm On Aug 01, 2014
My 12yr old Nephew is keen on learning a computer or IT skill. He is proficient in Microsoft word and has basic computer skills(using the keyboard etc). I need advice on which other computer programme he should start with. I was thinking Programming but I don't know if its a proper foundation for a 12yr old. Your ardent advice needed urgently.
Re: Advice Need For A 12yr Old Who Wants Computer Knowledge by losprince(m): 9:44am On Aug 02, 2014
a twelve year old... maybe he should start with qbasic.

3 Likes

Re: Advice Need For A 12yr Old Who Wants Computer Knowledge by Djtm(m): 5:52pm On Aug 02, 2014
Let him learn corel draw and photoshop. Then he can try his hands on html.

1 Like

Re: Advice Need For A 12yr Old Who Wants Computer Knowledge by asalimpo(m): 11:19pm On Aug 02, 2014
Buy him books on java,python,c++
,vb.net
download the necessary compilers for him. Leave him with them and see how his interest goes.
For phone programming, books on android,objective-c will do.
Ideally, he shud hav internet access to help his curiosity but it mayb distractg.
Many ppl who strted programmg young/ver young were driven by curiosity and child like fascination
(which is very strong) and d fascination/curiousity propelled them (on to greatness).
Buy him a laptop if u can too.
Re: Advice Need For A 12yr Old Who Wants Computer Knowledge by youngestpr(m): 8:39am On Aug 03, 2014
I hope you would not mind if soon he says he is no longer going to school smiley
Re: Advice Need For A 12yr Old Who Wants Computer Knowledge by chux76(m): 11:42am On Aug 04, 2014
youngestpr: I hope you would not mind if soon he says he is no longer going to school smiley

And why should this be Would learning programming languages deter him him from furthering his education?
Re: Advice Need For A 12yr Old Who Wants Computer Knowledge by Briareos(m): 11:49pm On Aug 05, 2014
Bill Gates wrote his first program at the age of 13.
Re: Advice Need For A 12yr Old Who Wants Computer Knowledge by nextstep(m): 2:27am On Aug 07, 2014
Get him a cheap laptop/netbook. Put Linux or FreeBSD on it. Introduce him to simple bash scripts and javascript. He can easily create some JavaScript within a simple html page on his desktop, then point the browser to load that page.

He should look online, on his own, how to solve problems.

In summary Proficiency with programming is not really something that can be taught in a short period of time; he's got to immerse himself into programming for a few years, to become good at it, just as you would a human language.
Re: Advice Need For A 12yr Old Who Wants Computer Knowledge by emmyvet(m): 4:40pm On Aug 07, 2014
Briareos: Bill Gates wrote his first program at the age of 13.
serious
Re: Advice Need For A 12yr Old Who Wants Computer Knowledge by ultraGM: 7:52pm On Aug 07, 2014
What your Nephew needs is a mentor not just put in a computer class, since he so desire to be computer geek at that age. Bill Gate or Mark Zurkaberg have their own mentor too at such tender age and they are successfull. In my my shop i mentor a Boy since he was in JSS3, now he can use PHP/MySQL, HTML, CSS and JQuery he (currently)did actually design a Social Network website from scratch.

What i can say to the boy progress is that he has desire for computer and he get someone to mentor him hile paying notting to acqiure knowlede. In case of your Newphew dont Just send him to computer school get him a mentor and buy him a good laptop you can afford.
Re: Advice Need For A 12yr Old Who Wants Computer Knowledge by youngestpr(m): 9:20am On Aug 10, 2014
chux76:

And why should this be Would learning programming languages deter him him from furthering his education?

Well, I am not saying it will deter him it depends on the level he gets to. The likes of some people rose to a level that they felt still going to school is not worth it.
Re: Advice Need For A 12yr Old Who Wants Computer Knowledge by nextstep(m): 3:17am On Aug 24, 2014
Another good way to encourage his interest might be a robotic kit, or a small programmable board like Arduino that could be used to (for instance) turn on a buzzer or LEDs when a switch is pressed. The programs tend to be short, relatively simple, and encourage tinkering.

I wouldn't worry about him losing interest in pursuing higher education; very very few people do that. On the other hand, being able to program in 2014 is, in my view, as important and fundamental as knowing how to do math was in 1914, and will be essential in university in coming years.

(1) (Reply)

Is This Really Possible To Do? Can You Do This? / My Photocontest Script. / Navision ERP Functional Consultants Needed In A Reputable FMCG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.