Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,474 members, 7,819,725 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:46 PM

Why You Should Install The Facebook Comments Plugin On Your Site - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why You Should Install The Facebook Comments Plugin On Your Site (2195 Views)

Panama Paper: Wordpress Plugin, Possible Cause Of Hack - Wordfence / Facebook - Comments Not Showing Up? / Save Facebook Comments Into A Database (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Should Install The Facebook Comments Plugin On Your Site by BizBooks(m): 12:23pm On Aug 01, 2014
This post assumes that you know basic HTML and are able to modify your site’s
HTML pages (by way of simple copy and paste).

Comments are the life blood of any website. If you build a site and your visitors
are not leaving comments, then you are doing something wrong. With the increase
in visitor participation, the internet is flooded with several third party comments
plugins. Here I will give a first hand account of my experience with Disqus and
Facebook comments plugins (plugins are not as complex as they sound. Some
plugins can be as simple as a line of code obtained from a 3rd party like Facebook).

Don’t even bother asking visitors to register on your site before leaving comments
because they will not. At this point, everybody is tired of registering on new websites.
That’s why you see many Nigerian blogs and websites with hundreds of pages with
little or no comments. The solution to this is to make it easy and effortless for visitors
to leave comments on your site. How do you do that? The answer is simply by installing
a third party comments plugin. The great advantage these plugins have is that they do
not require your users to register or login before leaving comments. At the moment, the
most popular plugins are from Facebook, Disqus and Intense Debate.

But all third party plugins are not equal. While Disqus and Intense debate are very popular
in the US, the same cannot be said for Nigeria. For instance, I built a Nigeria-oriented site
and installed a Disqus Comments plugin. In a month, the site had only 1 comment (yes, One).
However, when I installed the Facebook comments plugin, the comments skyrocketed to
more than 600 in about a month (it’s actually 726 at the moment but after you remove
spam comments from the Customs car scammers, you get around 600).

The reason for Facebook’s dominance is obvious. Most Nigerians are already on Facebook.
So when they visit your site, their Facebook profile appear live on your web pages. If
they then wish to leave a comment, they can do so without having to register or login.
The fact that my comments increased from 1 to 600+ after I installed the Facebook
plugin is all that one needs to know about it's efficacy.

NOTE: Once you install the Facebook Comments plugin, spammers will likely flood your
site with spam comments. Not to worry, you have the ability to ban any visitor from
leaving comments on your site. Once you ban a visitor, their comments disappear from
your site and they will no longer be able to leave any new comments unless you un-ban
them. You can also hide comments just like the mods do on NL.

NOTE 2: The Facebook comments plugin has been around since 2011. Facebook claims
it is installed on more than 300,000 websites. To get the plugin, you will need a Facebook
App ID (again this is easy to get). After you get the App ID, you then copy the plugin code
and place it on every page on your site where you want visitors to leave comments. Do a
Google search on this topic for more information. I ran into a few problems while trying to
install the plugin on a database-driven website. If you run into any problems, post them
here, I might be able to assist you.

NOTE 3: The Facebook comments plugin can co-exist with the comments system you
already have on your site. So you do not have to remove what you already have. For
instance, in my case, I have both the Facebook and Disqus plugins installed on the
same site.
Re: Why You Should Install The Facebook Comments Plugin On Your Site by BizBooks(m): 12:30pm On Aug 01, 2014
An example of a web page with the Facebook comments plugin:

Re: Why You Should Install The Facebook Comments Plugin On Your Site by Nobody: 6:12am On Aug 03, 2014
Thanks a lot sir for this piece of Info.

My only problem with mine is that it doesn't seem to appear in mobile (both custom mobile or full web version). Tried seeing if I could place the mobile="yes" before the lock="true/false" but I didn't anything as such defined during my FB Comments installation.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks.
Re: Why You Should Install The Facebook Comments Plugin On Your Site by tohero(m): 8:14am On Aug 03, 2014
Tanks op! I just resgistered your info to my memory. Any means of communication?
Re: Why You Should Install The Facebook Comments Plugin On Your Site by BizBooks(m): 4:42pm On Aug 06, 2014
Reiyvinn:
My only problem with mine is that it doesn't seem to appear in mobile
(both custom mobile or full web version).

What's your web address, let me try it on my mobile device.
Re: Why You Should Install The Facebook Comments Plugin On Your Site by BizBooks(m): 4:43pm On Aug 06, 2014
tohero: Tanks op! I just resgistered your info to my memory.
Any means of communication?

You can reach me here any time.
Re: Why You Should Install The Facebook Comments Plugin On Your Site by Nobody: 4:45pm On Aug 06, 2014
BizBooks:

What's your web address, let me try it on my mobile device.

I had to use their default Mobile view though. But you can view web version here
Re: Why You Should Install The Facebook Comments Plugin On Your Site by Ofoegbus(m): 5:49pm On May 15, 2017
Use a plugin Instead to get Facebook comment instead of pasting some kind of code
https://askingquiz.com/install-facebook-comment-plugin-wordpress/

Re: Why You Should Install The Facebook Comments Plugin On Your Site by fileorgin: 10:31am On Aug 22, 2017
Re: Why You Should Install The Facebook Comments Plugin On Your Site by marcosanchez: 3:43am On May 21, 2018
I read all of your article and I really like it, I understand your point of view.
- <a href="https://hide-online.com/">hide online</a>
Re: Why You Should Install The Facebook Comments Plugin On Your Site by mercyson(m): 11:34am On May 21, 2018
Re: Why You Should Install The Facebook Comments Plugin On Your Site by chadsmith: 9:36am On Feb 07, 2019

(1) (Reply)

How To Increase Page Speed Of Wordpress Website / Banned By Google Adsense / How do I create a school portal and generate Scratch Cards?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.