Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,037 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:12 AM

Olumaintain Raps With General Colin Powell On Stage - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Olumaintain Raps With General Colin Powell On Stage (1356 Views)

Dagrin Vs Olamide: Who Raps Better / Colin Powell Dancing Yahoozie (video) / 9ice Vs Lord Of Ajasa. who raps Better in yoruba ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Olumaintain Raps With General Colin Powell On Stage by AkinW: 6:19pm On Oct 15, 2008
FORMER US Secretary of State Colin Powell broke it down on stage and performed a hip hop dance on stage at the Africa Rising! event which took place on the 14th October 2008

Crowds in London’s Albert Hall were stunned as Mr Powell cracked out his moves alongside Nigerian artiste Olu Maintain.

The US politician was speaking at the festival, which celebrated the talents and achievements of the African continent.

http://wetin-dey.com
Wetin Dey Entertainment

Re: Olumaintain Raps With General Colin Powell On Stage by Kolewole: 6:27pm On Oct 15, 2008
Chei! George Bush go dey roll for bed right now, wey election dey, dem dey dance to Yahooze, na waa oh

this could backfire for the republicans
Re: Olumaintain Raps With General Colin Powell On Stage by longetosin: 6:45pm On Oct 15, 2008
Kolewole:

Chei! George Bush go dey roll for bed right now, wey election dey, them dey dance to Yahooze, na waa oh

this could backfire for the republicans

wuts backfiring? no be politics thread we dey abeg
besides wuts bad with him dancing on stage?
Re: Olumaintain Raps With General Colin Powell On Stage by femigirl(f): 7:30pm On Oct 15, 2008
I was there, it was fab general Colin Powell really embrace African culture

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article4945736.ece

He is respected for many attributes; a brilliant soldier and a skilled diplomat. But General Colin Powell a hip hop and happening rap star? That's not a description you would expect to hear.

Until last night, that is, when the former US Secretary of State climbed on stage of the Royal Albert Hall and surprised audiences with an impromptu hip hop dance and song.

Still wearing a buttoned up suit the statesman performed with Nigerian group Olu Maintain and did a version of the Nigerian dance Yahoozee. He even took the microphone to sing lyrics and showed a natural rhythm as the pop stars taught him their dance moves.

General Powell, who was the first black Secretary of State and so far the only black Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, was attending the Africa Rising festival, a showcase for African music and fashion.

He told the audience: “I stand before you tonight as an African American. Many people say to me, ‘You became Secretary of State of the USA, is it really necessary to say you are an African American, or that you are black?’ And I say yes, so that we can remind our children. It took a lot of people struggling to bring me to this point in history. I didn’t just drop out of the sky, people came from my continent in chains.”

Adding: “There’s no reason a new Africa can’t be created right here and now,” General Powell climbed on stage and performed the Nigerian Yahoozee dance.

Nduka Obaigbena, the organiser of Africa Rising, said: “I never thought I would see Colin Powell dance Yahoozee, he showed that common touch.”

The pop star Christina Aguilera and the soul singer Seal also performed.
Re: Olumaintain Raps With General Colin Powell On Stage by demo47: 6:57am On Oct 16, 2008
Re: Olumaintain Raps With General Colin Powell On Stage by timbabng(m): 8:24am On Oct 16, 2008
Quite Hilarious grin

1 Like

Re: Olumaintain Raps With General Colin Powell On Stage by shotster50(m): 12:13am On Oct 17, 2008
I wanna have whatever drink dude had to do that dance, the pictures in the papers absolutely made my day today,

(1) (Reply)

Jazz Piano Lectures At The Music Academy / Animated Music Videos, African Made / LEAK: D'banj Ft Naeto C - London Lady [download]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.