Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,939 members, 7,817,750 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:34 PM

10 Years Abroad Returning Home: What Kind Of Business Can I Get Into? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 10 Years Abroad Returning Home: What Kind Of Business Can I Get Into? (6463 Views)

CBN Now Force Us To Keep Money At Home, What Happened To The Cashless Policy? / Which Business Can A Student Venture Into On Campus? / Returning Home, What Can I Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Years Abroad Returning Home: What Kind Of Business Can I Get Into? by Nobody: 5:30pm On Nov 14, 2008
Apologies To Crazyhorse
I am sorry for having spoken rude to you.
Re: 10 Years Abroad Returning Home: What Kind Of Business Can I Get Into? by crazyhorse: 8:26pm On Nov 14, 2008
Hi Martho
Thanx for the encouragement its nice to see some one who knows and understand where you are coming from your advice is well taken
Again to all who have given advice on this thread THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS keep the advice coming because i know i am not the only one abroad coming home asap and they all will benefit from this forum
Re: 10 Years Abroad Returning Home: What Kind Of Business Can I Get Into? by luckyme9(f): 8:52am On Nov 15, 2008
Hello my brother,  this is my advice, and it's totally from my own plans that I've been researching for a while now.
First of all keep your money in the nigerian banks.  At least two seperate banks that yeald some reasonable returns.  Travel to Nigeria if you can afford at least six weeks at a time.  Go to places of interest; I'm sure by now you would have had one or two interests.  Mingle with the real people in those areas.  You are the only one who know how hard you worked for your money, so put pride aside and think deep.  If you have family that will make a big consideration. I mean kids and wife.
For me I've livedin the US for the same 10yrs.  For past four trips I've taken to Nigeria, I've decided to open a big pharmacy in my neighbourhood.  Many say "what are you talking about,  but non of them will help me put food on the table or replace my ride when needed, that's why I said to put pride aside.  Plus I'm a woman, I guess I can get away with that. So I'm spending my last few years here working part time in a pharmacy to get the real inside scoop of how I can bring change to Chemist industry like Barack brings change to American politics, "LOL" while I'm bussy shipping home some valuable equipments.
So, if you still have time try something like this, you will not believe what I've been able to put together.  Imaging putting N5m what of meds and household goods in a huge shop that I have planned out at the bottom of my house. Which is to avoid Lagos traffic headache.  I can't wait.
What ever you decided remember to feed us back so we can patronize you
Good Luck
Re: 10 Years Abroad Returning Home: What Kind Of Business Can I Get Into? by crazyhorse: 6:06pm On Nov 15, 2008
Hi Luckyme9
Just cannot help myself but got to say thank you for your invaluable advice God Bless You
Re: 10 Years Abroad Returning Home: What Kind Of Business Can I Get Into? by Pennywise(m): 6:25pm On Nov 15, 2008
Perhaps you want to research plant hiring. I hear folks are making a lot of easy money in places like abuja and others where rapid devt is taking place. You might need a little more capital though.But with 10million naira, most banks will not mind bunking with U. Returns of as much as 200,000k per day is no big deal in this business. And who said you have to start with brand new equipment?Just good mechanics. But mind you there is a lot of Gbege in this business. When the money starts rolling in, don't forget p'wise.  grin You can always use your contact in the states to advantage when sourcing for equipment.
Re: 10 Years Abroad Returning Home: What Kind Of Business Can I Get Into? by heroplus(m): 7:52pm On Nov 15, 2008
Hello Brother,
I have lived in Naija all my life and had an opportunity to travel out. One of my hubbies is researching business opportunities. I'll say people have given good advices here and everyone's advice shows how deep/shallow, far/near sighted the individuals are (Some are greedy and some others is "gimme your money" LOL)
Looking at the investment climate of Naija, I won't advice you to do the popular things in Naija. I have come to believe that we love to "wonder bank" any industry that booms in Niaja. I honestly feel the craze for the real estate market will soon crash.
My advice is this: You have lived where things work and here things don't really work yet but we yarn for them to do. If you do anything, even if it is to sell pure water or clean toilets, once you can put a touch of excellence to it, you are bound to make it. I advice you to seek something being done excellently where you are and think of how to replicate it here. If you don't have a long time to prepare before you start up as you colleagues who live in diaspora suggest, I suggest you look for a good franchise and purchase - an international one won't be bad.
I have heard many say Mc'donalds don't want to come to Naija, but I say it is a Big Lie. I think every business will like to come here cos we have population and they can make good, clean money here. The ROI all these foreign companies make here is not comparable to what they do else where cos of our number.
So, look for something you like to do and you can change here. Something you will easily retain your passion doing, come solve a problem at home and make good money while you do that. Don't hide the good news when it starts to happen for you so others can be encouraged to do the same and our country can be the envy of all again

All the best
Re: 10 Years Abroad Returning Home: What Kind Of Business Can I Get Into? by luckyme9(f): 11:11am On Nov 22, 2008
@Pennywise, What is plant hiring, I'm kind of interested.
Re: 10 Years Abroad Returning Home: What Kind Of Business Can I Get Into? by serifshorg: 3:12pm On Nov 22, 2008
10 years abroad looking for stressless business.

There are a lot of businesses you can do without stress and with less capital. however, I have a list of such businesses. If you care to know send for free information to my email(serifshorg@yahoo.com) or call me on 08034408027. best of luck.
Re: 10 Years Abroad Returning Home: What Kind Of Business Can I Get Into? by Phydas: 2:26am On Nov 23, 2008
@crazyhorse

Dear Brother, your dilemma is what most guys out here go through. No one wants to go back and be nobody eventually. Nigeria is like an ocean if you dont live there. You just do not know where to start. It happened to me but like somebody said, what I did was make a research establish a business and follow it up with constant visits. There are a lot of business that are hot in Nigeria but the truth is, you wont be able to make a big turn over in any line of business in Nigeria unless you have somebody on ground, unless they know you and unless you know what's what.

With the money you have , you can be an importer and more than tripple your money in one year. So, leave your money in bank, find out the business you like to do, go into that line, find a distributor or distributors, get the samples that are going well, come to China. If this goes down well with you I can give you two or three lines of business you can look into but then, its something you have to do by yourself. You need to be involved. I believe in doing it myself. And, dont be in a hurry unless if you are no longer working and you are spending from the reserve you have. Furthermore, I will suggest that anything you are going into, start with 30% of your worth, and leave the other 70% as a fall back.

Somebody said earlier that if you have a family, that will factor into your consideration. I say yes to that. If you have a trusted member of your family that can be on ground for you, its always easier.
Re: 10 Years Abroad Returning Home: What Kind Of Business Can I Get Into? by larez(m): 9:16pm On Dec 06, 2008
It was kind of funny reading through the responses and Krazyhorse's replies. Damola seemed a little too aggressive with high promises while some others didn't even sound like they could manage a hen coop. I am sure Krazyhorse is having fun watching these people salivate over ways to win him over to hand them their cash. I returned to Nigeria a little over 2 years ago from the United States after living there for over 25 years, and I have found the country interesting. It has taken me all of that time to recognize a business that I can get into with the least hassles of the Nigerian factor. One thing for sure is that corruption does not only belong in the public sector, but also very alive in the Private as well. I will suggest that you take your time returning and visit for like a month at a time. See for yourself that you even want to bring the money home to invest. It may take a while for you to get a grasp of the reality on the ground.

Goodluck.
Re: 10 Years Abroad Returning Home: What Kind Of Business Can I Get Into? by crazyhorse: 10:51am On Dec 13, 2008
Hello Larez
Its good to hear from some one who has done what i am just about to embark on i will look into going to Nigeria more often this same advice about been on ground has surfaced on this tread a few times i will run with that send me your email so i can be in touch
Cheers
Re: 10 Years Abroad Returning Home: What Kind Of Business Can I Get Into? by ShinaBN(m): 12:42pm On Dec 13, 2008
Magazine Publishing is the Best way to go.
reason: Freedom, More profitable and reliable
and the list goes on.

See website for details: http://nextpublisher.com/list.html

Shina
Basic Network
Re: 10 Years Abroad Returning Home: What Kind Of Business Can I Get Into? by BAC: 11:03am On Dec 15, 2008
My advise:

I found my self in the same postion  about 7 years ago. I am based in the UK and I need to start business in Nigeria.
Lesson number 1: Nigerian are people that have all sorts of ideas and advise, but everyone thinks about how to steal your money so be careful.

Lesson 2: Nigerian staff are very lazy. I suggest don't do a business that you have to hire Nigerians they will frustrate you.

Lesson 3: Nigeria is full of get rich quick lies. So be careful.

Lesson 4: Never do a business that requires PoWER. Nigeria is in Darkness. Most business spend all their profits on Deisel for Generator.

Lesson 5: Never do a business that requires you to move goods from one location to the other. The authorities will frustrate your efforts as they want to be settled everytime. e.g POLICE

lesson 6: There is something they call Nigeria factor: What this means is that, be prepared to lose all that money, make sure it is cash your life does not depend on. Why did I say that? No standards in the country, there are a lot of disorderliness, A lot of people use their creativity to tell you why things don't work ,  and don't forget NO GOVERNMENT SUPPORT. Insurance in the country is a taboo,

My advise: Put that money in real estate and continue with what ever you are doing. Add more investment properties as you can along the way,

So take care and Good Luck.
Re: 10 Years Abroad Returning Home: What Kind Of Business Can I Get Into? by crazyhorse: 8:18pm On Dec 16, 2008
Hello Bac
Just out of curiosity did you get into any business back then? are you still in business now i mean in Nigeria and if not why. Would you consider living in Nigeria full time and if not why
Cheers
Re: 10 Years Abroad Returning Home: What Kind Of Business Can I Get Into? by Wonder1(m): 10:09pm On Dec 16, 2008
Hello there,

I think the best advice is still in the real estate. Business in nigeria is very risky especially when you have been based in the UK for a while. You can make pretty good returns within a short space of time especially in Lagos but you have to be careful from whom you are buying from.

Goodluck.
Re: 10 Years Abroad Returning Home: What Kind Of Business Can I Get Into? by damola1: 10:27pm On Dec 16, 2008
People just want to believe anything NEGATIVE. If it's POSITIVE, they'll ask, over and over again.

The same answer has re-occurred more than 10 times on this particular thread.

Don't trust no one with your sweat. Come home and do your due diligence. Same rule apply in the UK, applies in Nigeria.

DUE DILIGENGENCE.
Re: 10 Years Abroad Returning Home: What Kind Of Business Can I Get Into? by TOKUGAWA(m): 3:25pm On Dec 17, 2008
hello ,i am seun,a graduate,i will advice you to go into building a multipupose facility,not just a joint a world class joint,that has a 1500 seater hall,bar,pool,children amusement facility,and nite club .according to my own calculation and research you can rake in 400 to 500k monthly,call me for further details,i can discuss with you one on one if you dont mind.I would have gone into this business if not for the capital.08035326378,seununltd2003@yahoo.com

Re: 10 Years Abroad Returning Home: What Kind Of Business Can I Get Into? by luckyme9(f): 12:07pm On Dec 18, 2008
Bac is absolutely right.  I forgot to mention Real Estate in my earlier reply
This is what I did with my husband.
Looked into some newly developing area that is not quite developed.
Bought 3 plots of land on a cornner lot and proposed major road
Fenced it round and ready to turn into a shoppng center.
Everything we do, we try to stay in our neighborhood for traffic wahala.
What ever you do you can always fall back to real estate. I learnt from my father
Don't forget, what ever you come up with,  post
Re: 10 Years Abroad Returning Home: What Kind Of Business Can I Get Into? by Vickade(m): 12:47pm On Dec 18, 2008
hi crazy??

LETS RUN ADVERTISING AGENCY/PUBLISH BRANDING AND LIFESTYLE MAGAZINES

(1). I'm victor. i work in the creative/strategic department of an experiential marketing communication/advertising agency in lagos. I'm a creative writer/conceptualist/idealist/branding executive/assisting graphic artist. I'm a proofreader, editor, scriptwriter, copywriter and a strategic thinker. i had stints with PR and journalism. i had once ventured out alone into advertising but nigeria factor forced me back into employment.

I'm creative, intelligent and has packaged worldclass ideas. some hijacked by a bank, another by a top telecom company in nigeria.

i have several worldclass ideas in my archive that can turn things around. having learned few creative politics with my ideas, i could run things in advertising. if you have the money, lets hit nigeria with a crazy ad agency.

(2). i have also packaged some creative magazines waitin to be oxgenated with finance; they are CorporateMafia, Brands, Yeepa, Eko Akete, etc. lets run something big men. you can reach me on 08051884470. lets talk.
Re: 10 Years Abroad Returning Home: What Kind Of Business Can I Get Into? by crazyhorse: 7:12pm On Dec 18, 2008
Hi Lukyme9 and others
I promise to update all you guys as soon as i land in Nigeria for the next phase of my life this will be in a few months i will definately keep you abreast concerning the business / businesses i finally decide to get into, i cannot say for certain at the moment but this estate thing is intresting.
Every thing is still in the air
Cheers
Re: 10 Years Abroad Returning Home: What Kind Of Business Can I Get Into? by youngmill(m): 7:45pm On Dec 18, 2008
@poster
My advice will be to go into Real Estate, but with the amount you are talking about mean you have to start at the lower stage of the market. Started the process a while back (Real Estate) and decide to have an income to support instead of using all my capital. Haulage business is good,but very very frustrating, but if you are their to run it then all better. You can then use the income to go into Real Estate. but please don't do it without you being in Nigeria, and I'm talking from experience.
Re: 10 Years Abroad Returning Home: What Kind Of Business Can I Get Into? by felifeli: 8:27pm On Dec 20, 2008
[size=14pt]THIS ONE IS GOING TO ROCK ![/size]
Let me introduce you to VTN - lots of money to be made soon and I will tell you how . It is a new unfolding opportunity and you even get the chance to send FREE SMS worldwide just by being a part of it . But first register using my invite 

http://www.virtualterminalnetwork.com/Invite.asp?ID=10526
Re: 10 Years Abroad Returning Home: What Kind Of Business Can I Get Into? by davidylan3: 8:36pm On Dec 20, 2008
BAC:

My advise:

I found my self in the same postion  about 7 years ago. I am based in the UK and I need to start business in Nigeria.
Lesson number 1: Nigerian are people that have all sorts of ideas and advise, but everyone thinks about how to steal your money so be careful.

Lesson 2: Nigerian staff are very lazy. I suggest don't do a business that you have to hire Nigerians they will frustrate you.

Lesson 3: Nigeria is full of get rich quick lies. So be careful.

Lesson 4: Never do a business that requires PoWER. Nigeria is in Darkness. Most business spend all their profits on Deisel for Generator.

Lesson 5: Never do a business that requires you to move goods from one location to the other. The authorities will frustrate your efforts as they want to be settled everytime. e.g POLICE

lesson 6: There is something they call Nigeria factor: What this means is that, be prepared to lose all that money, make sure it is cash your life does not depend on. Why did I say that? No standards in the country, there are a lot of  disorderliness, A lot of people use their creativity to tell you why things don't work ,  and don't forget NO GOVERNMENT SUPPORT. Insurance in the country is a taboo,

My advise: Put that money in real estate and continue with what ever you are doing. Add more investment properties as you can along the way,

So take care and Good Luck.

The listed reasons or points can not particualrly be peculiar to everyone or to all businesses.

Real Estate business is hard to start with 10million naira- only if you are targeting very remote parts of Nigeria.

It is realy a tough decision to take, but, I am sure, you can start some other busineses without even investing that much money, watch it grow and invest more into it along the way. If we know where your expertise is, or what profession you are into, we can also advice.
Re: 10 Years Abroad Returning Home: What Kind Of Business Can I Get Into? by crazyhorse: 10:43pm On Dec 21, 2008
Hello Davidyla n
I am not sure if my profession has any bearing on what business to get involved in but if you most know i am a maintenance engineer i supervice the maintenance of 26 bank buildings for the 3rd largest bank in the world i supervice electrical, boiler, fabric engineers plus plumbers and contractors for the bank i am very competent in building works and cutting edge finishes
Re: 10 Years Abroad Returning Home: What Kind Of Business Can I Get Into? by MassOptin(m): 12:32am On Dec 22, 2008
Hello.

We are an online email advertising company. Please visit our website www.massoptins.com.

Whatever you want to advertise about, MassOptins provide you the best emails and mailer to help you grow your business organically. We are the best in Email Advertising. Please make us your preferred advertising partner. See how you can grow your business at a fraction of the cost of print or TV advertising.

William.
Re: 10 Years Abroad Returning Home: What Kind Of Business Can I Get Into? by moscovite: 5:05am On Jan 02, 2009
Way back in the 90s this is the common story: You make your plans from abroad come into this country to setup, the combination of nepa,nitel and hungry relatives help you in setting themselves up properly instead of setting up as you planned. You continue to pour money into the venture until you are left with nothing except to run back to where you came from to begin from beginning. I was a victim and was lucky to get back because i had a brother who could pull me out of the country. I have so many friends who were not so lucky to be pulled out. The married ones ended up losing their oyinbo wives when they could not afford basic things. Of all the people posting on your topic Crazy Horse, BAC is the closest to what will happen to you if you are a first timer coming back. But you said you have been here before and its good you are seeking opinion. But seeking this opinion on the internet is even worse than getting it from your relatives or close friends (which use to be the norm in those days). While your relatives might do you in as a result of business naivety and a need to solve their personal problem (In my own case I later analysed that if i was told the absolute truth at that time i will not have released money for the venture, which in-turn meant that money will not flow to them to solve their percieved personal problems). This internet proposals could even be worse.

I truly believe that this country still needs people like you to come down with your world class experience. I think it is possible to succeed. I have since come back to Nigeria and now run my own business successfully even with the "dreaded Nigerian factor". I probably think its a mistake to have announced that you had money to bring down. Having said that I think you will need a lot of planning with very sincere people. I don't know how you will find them inthis place. You will probably bebetter off with someone who's had a similar experience. But as many have said "Due Dilligence"is key. You must come down and live and you should not make people know you are bringing in money. Try to start something with a fraction of that money and deliberately keep the rest is such a way that it is not easily reachable.

When i remember other things a tot i should have done myself then afterwards i will let you know. In actual fact there was a period in between my experience and now when i tot i should start a consulting job advising people like you. But i never got around doing it. If i had i wouldnt probably be telling you to let me recall and then advise precisely.
Re: 10 Years Abroad Returning Home: What Kind Of Business Can I Get Into? by crazyhorse: 10:07pm On Jan 02, 2009
Hi Moscovite,
I am indeed gratefull for your advice and i will adhere verily to it, again Thanks and God Bless
Re: 10 Years Abroad Returning Home: What Kind Of Business Can I Get Into? by kzo0509: 1:42am On Jan 05, 2009
hello,i think you should try fish farming,cos i believe what you need to do is investing part of the money .let say 2m or even less,its depend on what you have on ground.i mean the fixed things like the land borehole etc.its could be less.for more info kfad0509@hotmail.com, and i can help you make out a biz plan on that, cheerrs
Re: 10 Years Abroad Returning Home: What Kind Of Business Can I Get Into? by MassOptin(m): 5:38am On Jan 05, 2009
Hello Everyone,

Making money on the internet seems to be the most difficult thing one finds. We have the pleasure to introduce ourselves as MassOptins.com, and we pride in being the one-stop shop for your email marketing solution. We have Email Lists, Optin Leads and Mailers (cPanel, Webmail, PHP Mailer & Software based versions. All our Mailer products are INBOX DELIVERY GUARANTEED. Visit our website www.massoptins.com/index2.html.

To learn about how to make money on the internet - please go to our affiliate website http://www.topinternetdollars.com/articles/.

Kind Regards
Mike, MassOptins.com
Re: 10 Years Abroad Returning Home: What Kind Of Business Can I Get Into? by vanderjo(m): 5:14pm On Jan 06, 2009
hi,
i WILL GIVE YOU TWO GREAT BUSINESSES YOU CAN DO MAN,ONE IS TO MANUFACTURE MARBLE AND GRANITE,THAT IS THE BOMB,I WORK WITH A COMPANY THAT MANUFACTURES ONE,STONECRAFT FZE IN CALABAR,WE MAKE MILLIONS IN ONE DAY,AND TWO CALL ME ON 08068851352 OR EMAIL ME AT henzdanstev14@yahoo.com so that i can give you more clues on ways to invest and i will tell you the second business and the 3rd that will turn you 10million around.henry is my name.www.stonecraftfze.com is our websites.
Re: 10 Years Abroad Returning Home: What Kind Of Business Can I Get Into? by kenaifuwa: 10:26pm On Jan 15, 2009
Hahahahaha,

Naija to strong oh!!!! becarefull on how you go about telling people that you have N10m I am talking from a personal experience, your own cousin will scam you for your last dime and buy a brand new car with your money and there is nothing you can do about it but watch him drive while you take okada.

Besides, business is all about gut feelings, Invest in what you believe will work not what will work. I urge you to take up a business courses and since you said you have vast experience in a specific field its best you stick with what you know and improvice to nigeria standard. remember nigeria is more flexible when it comes to regulations unlike UK strict policies.
Re: 10 Years Abroad Returning Home: What Kind Of Business Can I Get Into? by DisGuy: 4:02am On Jun 18, 2011
Vickade:

hi crazy??

LETS RUN ADVERTISING AGENCY/PUBLISH BRANDING AND LIFESTYLE MAGAZINES

(1). I[b]'m victor. i work in the creative/strategic department of an experiential marketing communication/advertising agency in lagos. I'm a creative writer/conceptualist/idealist/branding executive/assisting graphic artist. I'm a proofreader, editor, scriptwriter, copywriter and a strategic thinker. i had stints with PR and journalism. i had once ventured out alone into advertising but nigeria factor forced me back into employment.[/b]

I'm creative, intelligent and has packaged worldclass ideas. some hijacked by a bank, another by a top telecom company in nigeria.

i have several worldclass ideas in my archive that can turn things around. having learned few creative politics with my ideas, i could run things in advertising. if you have the money, lets hit nigeria with a crazy ad agency.

(2). i have also packaged some creative magazines waitin to be oxgenated with finance; they are CorporateMafia, Brands, Yeepa, Eko Akete, etc. lets run something big men. you can reach me on 08051884470. lets talk.

Bros only you with all this talentsssssssss

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Can I Fund My Alertpay/payza Account? Please Help. / CBN Boosts FOREX Market With $413.5m / Soap Industry In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.