Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,180 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:22 AM

Nollywood Can Turn Nigerian Tourism Into A Billon Dollar Industry - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood Can Turn Nigerian Tourism Into A Billon Dollar Industry (6280 Views)

How Nollywood Can Fight Piracy Using Okiki App / Two Lessons Nollywood Can Learn From Michael Jackson / Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nollywood Can Turn Nigerian Tourism Into A Billon Dollar Industry by Orikinla(m): 2:49pm On Aug 05, 2014
dasparrow: @Post

It can be done but we need to fix our power sector first. Once that is done, everything else will follow.

MTN, Shoprite, Sheraton, Protea, Radisson Blu and others have been able to succeed in spite of the shortages of power supply.
If the tourists have good guest houses and hotels to stay, they will come to see the exotic locations of Nigerian movies. So, let us use our awesome landscapes in our movies.

Tourists are not residents, so we can even use solar power for the guest houses on locations where they can stay for the short period of their visit.
Re: Nollywood Can Turn Nigerian Tourism Into A Billon Dollar Industry by VillageBoi(m): 3:48pm On Aug 05, 2014
Orikinla:

MTN, Shoprite, Sheraton, Protea, Radisson Blu and others have been able to succeed in spite of the shortages of power supply.
If the tourists have good guest houses and hotels to stay, they will come to see the exotic locations of Nigerian movies. So, let us use our awesome landscapes in our movies.

Tourists are not residents, so we can even use solar power for the guest houses on locations where they can stay for the short period of their visit.

That is quite interesting but remember the BIG difference between these businesses mentioned and tourists.

These 'Businesses' are here to TAKE our money and as long as any nation is giving them a ton of it they will stay no matter the 'conditions'.
Tourists go somewhere to SPEND their money and if they don't think they are getting the best 'comfortable' deal... they won't go there.
Re: Nollywood Can Turn Nigerian Tourism Into A Billon Dollar Industry by Paentera(m): 9:30am On Aug 06, 2014
VillageBoi: ‘Ije,’ also recorded tremendous success at the cinemas, making over N57 million and viewed by an estimated 14,000 people

A rough mental calculation with the figures you provided shows that each ticket would cost an average of N4,071 to see Ije. Except the movie was shown to a large crowd outside Nigeria, the grossing figures do seem rather far-fetched in my opinion going by the cost of tickets here topping N1,500 max at even the best cinemas in town. The exception is that more people might have watched the movie.

My other question is this - how difficult is it to actually verify such figures? Are there no monitoring/regulatory agencies that can verify such figures on request?
Re: Nollywood Can Turn Nigerian Tourism Into A Billon Dollar Industry by VillageBoi(m): 9:54am On Aug 06, 2014
Paentera:

A rough mental calculation with the figures you provided shows that each ticket would cost an average of N4,071 to see Ije. Except the movie was shown to a large crowd outside Nigeria, the grossing figures do seem rather far-fetched in my opinion going by the cost of tickets here topping N1,500 max at even the best cinemas in town. The exception is that more people might have watched the movie.

My other question is this - how difficult is it to actually verify such figures? Are there no monitoring/regulatory agencies that can verify such figures on request?

Exactly! Throughout the post I kept on mentioning 'not verified'... who knows where they pull these figures from? I personally don't even believe most budgets posted. I think the N57m quoted for Ije might be domestic & worldwide or maybe because it returned to the cinemas 3 times or so if I remember correctly.

It's hard to say anything for a 'fact' as we don't see a paper trail of evidence. But still N57m is a mega loss for a film that supposedly cost $2.5m to make.

I'm not sure if you've seen the film 'Ije' but I really find it very hardly to reconcile many films with their 'budgets'. Simple truth I can say is that for the 'claimed' budget it sucks. The producers must have completely wasted money.

How did this cost $2.5m??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kowbWZcBfaU

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria Home Viedo Soundtrack / Man Of Steel - Superman! / ***~~~Good Movies With Stupid/terrible Endings~~~***

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.