Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:54 AM

Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews (32020 Views)

In-sourcing, New Way Of Hiring Desperate Job Seekers / Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market / Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews by louiskay(m): 11:08pm On Aug 03, 2014
saintandsinnerz:

It is a go-getter
. Thanks
Re: Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews by Nobody: 11:10pm On Aug 03, 2014
HOBBIES(written on so called CV): reading, making friends(sociable), motivator, encourager... all na wash!!!

I MAKE THINGS HAPPEN: uncle have things not be happening na until u come things go happen?? abeg all na wash!!

1 Like

Re: Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews by nmaihat: 11:11pm On Aug 03, 2014
I think another big lie is stating that u're amenable to overtime and weekend work whilst u will silently and sometimes vocally curse ur boss when he makes u work overtime especially when there is no incentive.
Re: Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews by skyface00(m): 11:16pm On Aug 03, 2014
na wa ooooo so ppl lie like dis for job.....have never been 2 any job interview before and i dont intend going in future.......have a strong passion for business and i never look back ....now im sleeping while somewhere some ppl making money 4 me.....lolz

2 Likes

Re: Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews by Izontubo(m): 11:33pm On Aug 03, 2014
LaurelP: I started working right from school

I was one of the best in my school_ how do we verify dat

I'm target driven

I left my former company in order to grow (na lie o, dem sack am grin
grin
LaurelP: I started working right from school

I was one of the best in my school_ how do we verify dat

I'm target driven

I left my former company in order to grow (na lie o, dem sack am grin
Re: Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews by Izontubo(m): 11:35pm On Aug 03, 2014
Jarus:

I'm a young man. I don't think it's in my interest, professional speaking, to be changing jobs every now and then. It is my plan to grow with this company. I'm not thinking of quitting for any other company in the short to medium term.

+++

Say that with some emotion in your face. Even though it's a lie. If Shell offer comes tomorrow, omho, grab it o. LOL

Hahahahahaha.....cheesy
Re: Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews by mindurbiznes: 12:01am On Aug 04, 2014
Emperortj93: Nothing to comment for now
forgive ma insensitivity, but i gat a feeling dat dis will grace frontpage and i want to achieve something I've being trying very very hard to achieved here on nairaland
Again i will say forgive ma insensitivity
thanks

grin cheesy
Re: Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews by igbonla(m): 12:48am On Aug 04, 2014
Jarus:

I'm a young man. I don't think it's in my interest, professional speaking, to be changing jobs every now and then. It is my plan to grow with this company. I'm not thinking of quitting for any other company in the short to medium term.

+++

Say that with some emotion in your face. Even though it's a lie. If Shell offer comes tomorrow, omho, grab it o. LOL

Jarus, I love this thread but think you are off on this one. There are lies and there are lies, the route you suggested above could be interpreted as a dumb lie that portrays the applicant as a dishonest fellow. I sent one guy off from an interview for one of those dumb lies; any lie that tend to show that those on the panel are either foolish or lacks simple understanding of life situations will cause you more trouble than expected. Seriously, many members of interview panels that I have been on will even give you some coaching based on your response and outlook.

I would recommend something simple like "As much as it may not be good for my career development, it is an offer I will be tempted to consider due to the financial inducement. However, my decision will not be based only on the salary but also on other factors such as opportunities for growth". Go ahead to give example, like how long it takes to be a partner in a popular audit firm compared to being a Manager in Shell. The audit firm also provides better opportunities in terms of meeting different kinds of people across the many clients organization. Finish it up by saying that translates to big money on the long term.

Playing smart is very important when under tension to win that job.

9 Likes

Re: Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews by judedwriter(m): 1:05am On Aug 04, 2014
Its guys dat lie more to get jobs; guys are not as advantaged as ladies in the labour market, so lying is a survival plan for dudes! Anyway sha, Everyday for the liar but one day for the employer cheesy
Re: Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews by Trypant(f): 2:21am On Aug 04, 2014
Lolz......I no fit laugh oooo!.......@Heleex, plz I cud not read your mail. @1mobile, I could not also read the mail you sent 2 me.....plz do contact me on facebook/Ogbuibe Faith Ugomma. Tnx
Re: Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews by phabulux: 2:39am On Aug 04, 2014
Jarus: It is very difficult to be 100% truthful in interviews – if not lie, there is a very strong urge to embellishes – exaggerate or understate - actuals.

However, this is not to say everyone lies or embellish in interviews. I once coached a young man for an interview who really impressed me. We were trying to anticipate how he will handle the question, has there been a time you led a team to success, or something like that.

I'm sorry, but, I think you've been taken on a ride. Telling you he couldn't lie was convenient for his purpose, wasn't it?

Obviously, you didn't lie before you got this job that made you a judge over other people's characters. You're probably from Niger or Togo.
Re: Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews by Pennywise(m): 2:57am On Aug 04, 2014
macfarland: And the then the lies continues....Proven ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines with minimum or no supervision, goal oriented, excellent use of initiative, interpersonal and analytical skills, ability to work in a multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity, strong team player, meticulous and given to details

If today's job seeker says none of these things I wonder what he is expected to say in a fierce competitive environment like ours. This is not Zimbabwe or Mlawi.This is Nigeria.
Re: Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews by Jarus(m): 6:19am On Aug 04, 2014
chidyhels: I never thought Jarus could be this funny.
I remb this interview that I was told to rate my ability to use Microsoft tools. Nnah eh, I was just shouting 10 over 10 not knowing the PC infront of me was to prove it.
Interview that lasted over an hour, just entry level o.

Don't ever rate yourself 10\10 in any skills. Maybe in character, such as integrity. But skills, 10\10 is an invitation to trouble/drilling.

At entry level interview years back, I was asked to rate myself in Excel, I said 6/10. It stopped there. Mind you it was entry level, just after NYSC. They actually didn't expect me to know everything about Excel.

At interview for same company like 1 year later, another friend rated himself 7/10 in Excel and he was drilled further, although he aced it.

6-8 over 10 is a good rating in skills. Even today, with 7 years of experience and using excel everyday, I won't rate myself more than 8/10 in Excel.

1 Like

Re: Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews by Jarus(m): 6:24am On Aug 04, 2014
igbonla:

Jarus, I love this thread but think you are off on this one. There are lies and there are lies, the route you suggested above could be interpreted as a dumb lie that portrays the applicant as a dishonest fellow. I sent one guy off from an interview for one of those dumb lies; any lie that tend to show that those on the panel are either foolish or lacks simple understanding of life situations will cause you more trouble than expected. Seriously, many members of interview panels that I have been on will even give you some coaching based on your response and outlook.

I would recommend something simple like "As much as it may not be good for my career development, it is an offer I will be tempted to consider due to the financial inducement. However, my decision will not be based only on the salary but also on other factors such as opportunities for growth". Go ahead to give example, like how long it takes to be a partner in a popular audit firm compared to being a Manager in Shell. The audit firm also provides better opportunities in terms of meeting different kinds of people across the many clients organization. Finish it up by saying that translates to big money on the long term.

Good contribution. Thanks.

These things are subjective. There is hardly any perfect answer to interview questions.

I just feel it is more dangerous to say yes, I'll quit.

But I see wisdom in your approach nonetheless.

Our friends here now have two options and can decide which one they are more convinced to suit their purpose.

It's good to have options to interview questions.

3 Likes

Re: Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews by Jarus(m): 6:28am On Aug 04, 2014
I spotted a couple of typos in my original post, but NL doesn't allow me to modify. Edited here:

+++
It is very difficult to be 100% truthful in interviews – if not lie, there is a very strong urge to embellish – exaggerate or understate - actuals.

However, this is not to say everyone lies or embellishes.....

1 Like

Re: Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews by Jarus(m): 7:21am On Aug 04, 2014
bayulll01: pathetic suraj that's what u are,u totally missed it this time,a guy seeking for a job says all these during interview he got recruited so what's the big deal and if he refuse to say it u says Nigerian graduate are not employable so what's the point of ur stuuupid post ehhan

I never said you won't get job using those lines. In fact, some of them are standard answers to the questions.

Just to make you know that interviewers are not fools and they know you're lying. Just overlooking it.
Re: Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews by felifeli: 7:31am On Aug 04, 2014
I am currently employed. - even though I am able to attend the interview at 1 day notice.
Re: Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews by Jarus(m): 7:32am On Aug 04, 2014
Wasquad: I was bursted..... A company I sent my CV to forwarded it to a recruiting agent for screening and I ave already submited one with tthe recruiting firm. So I was called up..thinking it was d recruiting firm, I went with my real Age. During the interview, was asked to present my CV I did.. Aou old r u? Said my real Age..he looked at..wat age did u start Primary school I answered....he looked at me... He showed me the Age the company I sent mai reduced age sent to dem... I no fit enta chair.... I jst begged say na d situation of the country. E no funny ooooooooo
cheesy
grin

1 Like

Re: Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews by Nobody: 8:36am On Aug 04, 2014
iebanehita: I just did an interview in Benin and one of the ladies in my team and was asked. .

'This kind of job requires you stay and live in the village without electricity. can you do that?'

She responded that she has been living in a typical village setting for a long time.

The interviewer never knew she was married and had been with the husband in the city.

Man long time.
Re: Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews by Favourss(f): 8:44am On Aug 04, 2014
Lol nawa o,but they are good lies sha.
Re: Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews by multiBillionair: 9:08am On Aug 04, 2014
Jarus:
Good contribution. Thanks.
These things are subjective. There is hardly any perfect answer to interview questions.
I just feel it is more dangerous to say yes, I'll quit.
But I see wisdom in your approach nonetheless.
Our friends here now have two options and can decide which one they are more convinced to suit their purpose.
It's good to have options to interview questions.
igbonla:

Nice post @ Op. Totally agree with Igbonla on this.I think it's really funny that in a 100 C.V's for a vacancy, about 90% are similarly worded. I have attended just one interview after graduation and I got the job. However, I would like to be prepared for future interviews that are impromptu as I don't usually have time to prepare even if I know am qualified for the job. Can U coach me please, I would appreciate if you can, kindly send me your email so we can talk. Alternatively, at your request I could send you mine.
Re: Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews by bigfrancis21: 9:57am On Aug 04, 2014
chidyhels: I never thought Jarus could be this funny.
I remb this interview that I was told to rate my ability to use Microsoft tools. Nnah eh, I was just shouting 10 over 10 not knowing the PC infront of me was to prove it.
Interview that lasted over an hour, just entry level o.

Hahahaha! This got me cracking up real hard. grin
Re: Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews by chibwike(m): 10:00am On Aug 04, 2014
holyboss: Hmm! I call those necessary lies.. grin

Plus

When is nairaland recruiting mods
no interview in that one
Re: Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews by bigfrancis21: 10:23am On Aug 04, 2014
vislabraye:

My brother, wetin person go put again nah !! In fact all these job wahala and interviewers air of superiority dey taya person. Best is to be self emeployed. Even companies wey go pay you small money go drill you with questions as if dem dey probe you.

Na wa Oh.

LOL. grin grin You think you've seen it all. You haven't seen anything yet. Come to the US and see how tougher corporate job interviews are here. grin
Re: Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews by iebanehita(m): 10:39am On Aug 04, 2014
dcaliph:

Man long time.

I just changed my mail on nairaland.

Try check your mail
Re: Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews by Dee60: 10:46am On Aug 04, 2014
I dont like telling lies......

I have been told that when you hear that half of the time it is a lie.
Re: Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews by Juzzybabe(f): 10:47am On Aug 04, 2014
Very funny but the real fact. Lolzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Re: Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews by howfarwhatagwan: 11:57am On Aug 04, 2014
haha so true but this is not peculiar to Nigerians
Re: Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews by wrench: 12:07pm On Aug 04, 2014
I'm very awful at telling lies. Easily get caught. And I tell no truth either cheesy cheesy
Re: Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews by Jarus(m): 12:19pm On Aug 04, 2014
multiBillionair:

Nice post @ Op. Totally agree with Igbonla on this.I think it's really funny that in a 100 C.V's for a vacancy, about 90% are similarly worded. I have attended just one interview after graduation and I got the job. However, I would like to be prepared for future interviews that are impromptu as I don't usually have time to prepare even if I know am qualified for the job. Can U coach me please, I would appreciate if you can, kindly send me your email so we can talk. Alternatively, at your request I could send you mine.

Info@jarushub.com
Re: Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews by holyboss: 1:03pm On Aug 04, 2014
chibwike: no interview in that one
Oh really shocked I tot dir will b a forml interview plus even an exm grin
Re: Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews by Maonyz(f): 1:59pm On Aug 04, 2014
How Ready Are You to Seize The Opportunities that are presented to you in life

Do you just rule them out because "People said" or are u going to find out what you can gain out it and have your own first-hand experience?

Never overlook any opportunity just because someone else made you to. World best inventors were the most laughed at in life!
Wealthy men NEVER criticise opportunities, They take advantage of them!

Read On!

Success waits for no man. To be successful, You MUST pursue and overtake success.

Every wealthy man in life has a story of hardwork to tell. What is your story?

10percent of the world population control 90percent of the world economy while 90percent of the world economy fight for the remaining meagre 10percent.
Pathetic right? And it will continue being that way till people say "Enough is Enough" and step out of their comfort zone to make things happen!

Were you born with or without a silver spoon in your mouth(wealth)? It's ok! You have blamed parents, uncles, aunties and grandparents enough. It's time to stand your ground and make your next generation NOT blame you for same reasons. Its time to build a fortune for your children!

.How long do you want to keep job-hunting?
.How long will you continue to hope on your salary alone?
. Are you underpaid at work?
. Are your dreams slipping through your hands because of lack of finances?
. Are you working so hard to make other people rich? What of you? Who will make you rich?
.You want to do something better with your life?
. Still depending on your salary ONLY? Salary makes NO one rich!!!
. Does your work keep you away from your family yet nothing much to show for it?

The opportunity you seek has come!!!

Its time to let go of every Excuse, Laziness, Pride, Pessimism and Negativity! Its time to take your future in your hand!

An American-based Company with World-Class Products of all kinds require Distributors, Marketers and Networkers and partners in ALL PARTS OF THE WORLD!!!

Description:
- work part-time from the comfort of your home, you can work work with us alongside your regular job.
- you can work online or offline
-own your own website, facebook page and a well equipped online shop for FREE!
- no competition! No survival of the fittest! Its a National cake! Anyone can bite any quantity depending on your efforts!
-qualify for brand new cars, all expense paid trips to the most unique countries of the world!
-NO BOSS OR SUPERVISOR!
- work at your own convenience
-Distance and Time are not barriers
- Whether educated or non educated, Rich or not rich etc does not matter. Everyone is qualified! All that is required is Determination to succeed, Passion to excel and the Desire to change your financial status!

Don't spend your whole life being paid to build other people's dream. Who will build yours? It's time to create wealth to fulfil your own dreams!!!

To get started, here is our contact:

Hotline: 08032776889(whatsapp active!)
BBM Pin: 2A5C1937

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs / Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder / MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.