Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,837 members, 7,810,219 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:30 AM

Storage Of Farm Produce - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Storage Of Farm Produce (22612 Views)

Please Caption This Wonderful Farm Produce. Picture. / Large Acres Of Farm Lands For Sale in Edo State. / Farming Explode:over 2000 Hectas Of Farm Land For Sale In OGUN State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by jamp: 8:39am On Aug 05, 2014
missterious: I think you can store beans for up to 6 months with Phostoxin tablets, 1 or 2 tablets per 1000kg of beans. Make sure it has no contact with the beans though, wrap it up before putting in the bag.

where can one get Phostoxin tablets?
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by missterious(f): 8:54am On Aug 05, 2014
jamp:

where can one get Phostoxin tablets?

Any pesticide store.
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by Nobody: 9:47am On Aug 05, 2014
Chei...Agricultural Investment is the way forward now...But storage business no doubt is capital intensive most especially if it is with an intention to sell you sure need good money to enjoy it.
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by Lesgupnigeria(m): 10:50am On Aug 05, 2014
To build a standard storage facility,it is calpital intensive,the best option is to outsource to other firms with storage facilities.
OR You start with commodities that is not perishable and can be stored using the local but efficient methods.
To Know More;
like our page www.facebook.com/lesgupnigeria
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by misterjosh(m): 11:32am On Aug 05, 2014
jamp:

thank you very much for this input. this year yam is very costly and those who prepared well are already making money. as the new yeam is coming out the old one is becoming expensive.

Pls o I'm kind of confused, isn't new yam supposed to be more expensive than old yam?
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by missterious(f): 1:02pm On Aug 05, 2014
misterjosh: Pls o I'm kind of confused, isn't new yam supposed to be more expensive than old yam?

Nah, old yam is more expensive. It tastes better.
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by dav8id(m): 2:24pm On Aug 05, 2014
ejibaba: Chei...Agricultural Investment is the way forward now...But storage business no doubt is capital intensive most especially if it is with an intention to sell you sure need good money to enjoy it.
Thank God ur eyes can c and unstd dat there is money in agricuture1
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by SilvanusII(m): 2:25pm On Aug 05, 2014
I have never actually tried this as I am not a practising farmer. But if Silicon pellets are placed in our leather shoes to prevent moisture spoilage, why can't they be used to prevent decay brought on by moisture especially in underground storage of yam
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by gowaga68: 4:41pm On Aug 05, 2014
Nice one there @ OP.
Well i would like to list out few produce which in due time i will talk more on them.
* Pepper
* Honey
* Groundnut
* Palm Oil
* .PK. Oil
* Melon
* Mambara nuts
And Kalwa. (guys i no sabi d name o but sha na Dawadawa dem dey use am do na d hausa name i give una so,lol.)
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by jamp: 5:03pm On Aug 05, 2014
@gowaga68, i cant wait for you to start. pls educate the house
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by Nazysandy(f): 10:06pm On Aug 05, 2014
SilvanusII: I have never actually tried this as I am not a practising farmer. But if Silicon pellets are placed in our leather shoes to prevent moisture spoilage, why can't they be used to prevent decay brought on by moisture especially in underground storage of yam
Silicon pellet is a drying agent but not edible. It should not be used on edible products.
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by SilvanusII(m): 11:16pm On Aug 05, 2014
Nazysandy:
Silicon pellet is a drying agent but not edible. It should not be used on edible products.

I actually dinnor mean putting on the yam. more like tying it in a bag suspended above the yam tubers. taking in all the moisture as the tubers 'breathe'
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by Nazysandy(f): 1:15am On Aug 06, 2014
SilvanusII:

I actually dinnor mean putting on the yam. more like tying it in a bag suspended above the yam tubers. taking in all the moisture as the tubers 'breathe'
But what are you trying to achieve by drying all the moisture in yam? Cos I'm trying to picture the effect it will have on the yam apart from it lasting long
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by Nazysandy(f): 1:21am On Aug 06, 2014
SilvanusII:

But what are you likely to achieve by drying all the moisture in yam? Cos I'm trying to picture the negative effect it will have on the yam apart from making it last longer.
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by SilvanusII(m): 11:19am On Aug 06, 2014
Nazysandy:
But what are you likely to achieve by drying all the moisture in yam? Cos I'm trying to picture the negative effect it will have on the yam apart from making it last longer.

The moisture as it breathes. Thats y I emphasized on the breathing. If silicon pellets sucked on all moisture around goods, the shoes n its packaging would be very dry n cracked. Its not like the silicon is that hygroscopic. It just takes in sufficient moisture that would have otherwise caused spoilage. Like I pointed out, its just an idea

1 Like

Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by jamp: 8:36pm On Aug 07, 2014
@dav8id when is the best tym to buy tomatoes for storage.

I have learnt how to preserve yam and am already making contacts in Abuja on locations to get them cheap
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by fogechi: 9:44pm On Aug 11, 2014
Jamp, do u have an idea on how to preserve tomato and pepper
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by jamp: 6:03pm On Aug 14, 2014
fogechi: Jamp, do u have an idea on how to preserve tomato and pepper

my brother , this is one of the reasons i opened this thread so we can thing more of storing our farm produce but is like people are more interested in quick cash.

i wish i know how to do that but i will get back to you
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by henrimoto(m): 11:53am On Aug 15, 2014
fogechi: Jamp, do u have an idea on how to preserve tomato and pepper
you cant preserve tomatoes for long except by turning it into a puree . Eg. Tinned and satchet tomatoes. The best way to preserve your pepper is to turn it into powered form. Dry and ground them.
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by bintudon(f): 9:51pm On Aug 17, 2014
Do anyone have cashew for sell?
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by jamp: 5:39am On Aug 18, 2014
gowaga68: Nice one there @ OP.
Well i would like to list out few produce which in due time i will talk more on them.
* Pepper
* Honey
* Groundnut
* Palm Oil
* .PK. Oil
* Melon
* Mambara nutsu
And Kalwa. (guys i no sabi d name o but sha na Dawadawa dem dey use am do na d hausa name i give una so,lol.)
Bros we did not hear from you again

1 Like

Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by Walexz02(m): 8:39am On Aug 18, 2014
bintudon: Do anyone have cashew for sell?
What is the quantity you need?
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by bintudon(f): 10:10am On Aug 18, 2014
Call me let's talk 07031085295
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by fogechi: 7:21pm On Sep 15, 2014
am getting ready for the harvest season.

jamp, whats up with the yam stuff
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by jamp: 6:58am On Sep 17, 2014
@fogechi, yes am still working on getting a hecter of land with yam. i was told i can get 100-200 moulds or more for less than 5k.

its better to buy the yam in moulds(while the yam is still in the ground)
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by FarmTech(m): 8:11pm On Sep 17, 2014
jamp: @fogechi, yes am still working on getting a hecter of land with yam. i was told i can get 100-200 moulds or more for less than 5k.

its better to buy the yam in moulds(while the yam is still in the ground)
Where do u buy the yams from?

1 Like

Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by jamp: 7:27am On Sep 18, 2014
FarmTech:
Where do u buy the yams from?

i buy in Abuja. there are villages where you can get them. i once got a big land for 5k to plant yam but i couldnt farm the whole area due to shortage of funds. so i have decided to go into storage by buying from the villagers in the bush.
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by FarmTech(m): 9:00pm On Sep 20, 2014
jamp:

i buy in Abuja. there are villages where you can get them. i once got a big land for 5k to plant yam but i couldnt farm the whole area due to shortage of funds. so i have decided to go into storage by buying from the villagers in the bush.
Good idea. Thanks.
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by jethro2: 8:21am On Sep 21, 2014
How do you intend to store the yam? Do you have a better storage method? Also searching for yam preservation method
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by dav8id(m): 11:23am On Sep 22, 2014
i dont think yam has a special preservation storage , all one need to do is to make sure the yam tuber never have a direct contact to the cement flour. secondly the yam most be well harvest.ie avoid yams with wounded body..
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by jethro2: 11:55am On Sep 22, 2014
dav8id: i dont think yam has a special preservation storage , all one need to do is to make sure the yam tuber never have a direct contact to the cement flour. secondly the yam most be well harvest.ie avoid yams with wounded body..
Thank you. I appreciate this
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by bakila: 1:52pm On Feb 19, 2015
gowaga68:
Nice one there @ OP.
* Pepper
* Honey
* Groundnut
* Palm Oil
* .PK. Oil
* Melon
* Mambara nuts
Locust beans

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fear Of Cow Blood Is The No-stress Cow Deterrent For Farmers / CATFISH Whatsapp Sales Portal / My Maize Farm Journey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.