Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,935 members, 7,828,296 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:01 AM

Clicking External Links In Nairaland Takes You Off The Forum - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Clicking External Links In Nairaland Takes You Off The Forum (2138 Views)

Who Can Teach Me How To Type Bold Letters In Posting In The Forum Platform? / Opening Links In A New Window / Posting Links In Nairaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Clicking External Links In Nairaland Takes You Off The Forum by netwhizmx: 5:52am On Oct 16, 2008
There's this nagging issue dats been poppin' in my mind for a while now regarding this forum and that is the fact that, when u click on external links that is posted on nairaland, it opens up on the same page, taking u out of the nairaland forum, i think this is not good enough for a forum as big as this. Seun, take note, work on d forum, so when u click on external links not related to the forum, it opens it up in a new page or something, u dont wanna lose traffic to some other ext. links posted, even though u get all this traffic, u should still protect it,  just felt i should air this out,  Wacha think guys!
Re: Clicking External Links In Nairaland Takes You Off The Forum by Seun(m): 10:04pm On Apr 13, 2009
afam4eva:

It's possible to make them open in another tab or window, google allows it.

So does Nairaland. Right click the link and select "open in new window". Hope that helps.
Re: Clicking External Links In Nairaland Takes You Off The Forum by AKO1(m): 2:59pm On Apr 14, 2009
If you're using a mouse with a scroll wheel in the middle, click with the scroll wheel instead of the left mouse button. It should open in a new tab.
Re: Clicking External Links In Nairaland Takes You Off The Forum by ogbongzky(m): 11:08am On Jul 28, 2009
Seun:

So does Nairaland. Right click the link and select "open in new window". Hope that helps.

NICE ONE, we need to let all nairalanders to take note of this short tip. Very essential tip for someone to enjoy internet browsing.
Re: Clicking External Links In Nairaland Takes You Off The Forum by Nobody: 10:45am On Aug 03, 2009
lol, and when did google become a standard

just a couple of guys like u working there u know!
Re: Clicking External Links In Nairaland Takes You Off The Forum by no21: 10:45am On Aug 03, 2009
netwhizmx:

There's this nagging issue dats been poppin' in my mind for a while now regarding this forum and that is the fact that, when u click on external links that is posted on nairaland, it opens up on the same page, taking u out of the nairaland forum, i think this is not good enough for a forum as big as this. Seun, take note, work on d forum, so when u click on external links not related to the forum, it opens it up in a new page or something, u dont wanna lose traffic to some other ext. links posted, even though u get all this traffic, u should still protect it,  just felt i should air this out,  Wacha think guys!

what makes you think that after many years of managing nairaland;
seun doesnt know about this issue?

A_K_O:

If you're using a mouse with a scroll wheel in the middle, click with the scroll wheel instead of the left mouse button. It should open in a new tab.
welldone ako, i didnt know this before

webdezzi:

lol, and when did google become a standard

just a couple of guys like u working there u know!

hmm
your post makes me start to doubt if i know the meaning of standard
Re: Clicking External Links In Nairaland Takes You Off The Forum by mjbaba: 12:30pm On Aug 03, 2009
some one please teach me how to respond to a post, such that the post I am responding to, will be copied and highlighted above my own response
Re: Clicking External Links In Nairaland Takes You Off The Forum by Nobody: 1:13pm On Aug 03, 2009
on the reply page, scroll down to the crap to want to respond to

hit "insert quote" and say ur mind afterward
"insert quote" link is right next to each post.
Re: Clicking External Links In Nairaland Takes You Off The Forum by ajadudu: 3:51pm On Aug 03, 2009
Yeah, most people know how to right click but it's uncommon in most blogs/forums I visit to be redirected in the same window, a bit of an irritant I have with NL to have to remind myself. don't you think it takes traffic from your site as well?
Re: Clicking External Links In Nairaland Takes You Off The Forum by mjbaba: 5:46pm On Aug 03, 2009
webdezzi:

on the reply page, scroll down to the crap to want to respond to

hit "insert quote" and say ur mind afterward
"insert quote" link is right next to each post.

Thanks a lot, man!!!!
Re: Clicking External Links In Nairaland Takes You Off The Forum by Nezan(m): 6:16pm On Aug 03, 2009
this is good stuff
Re: Clicking External Links In Nairaland Takes You Off The Forum by niggapop(m): 7:52pm On Aug 03, 2009
yeahh we are learning 4rm the old guys thats good. wink
Re: Clicking External Links In Nairaland Takes You Off The Forum by Nobody: 8:37pm On Aug 03, 2009
Seun:

Hello,

This is an excellent suggestion, but do you know that Google links open in the same page too?

Seun.

Your response here is a total F9. Walai you deserve to be given 10 strokes of koboko.
There's no reason for google to make links open in a new tab because no one wants to "stay" on google and stare at "google.com"
Google's sole purpose is to direct you to your search.
Nairaland, on the other hand, is a forum. If links don't open in another window, it results in a drop in traffic.
If i click on a link and the website is totally sweet, i will forget about the fact that i got to the site from nairaland.
If the site opens in a new link, the old page still remains and you can easily maintain your traffic.
It is not that hard to rectify. Go to your admin tab andd update your site juhhhhh
Re: Clicking External Links In Nairaland Takes You Off The Forum by winta2007(m): 12:13pm On Aug 04, 2009
how?
Re: Clicking External Links In Nairaland Takes You Off The Forum by ants(m): 1:37pm On Aug 04, 2009
very correct A-town, but doesn't look like Seun wants u or me to stay so long on the forum so who cares whether a link takes u out of the forum or not
Re: Clicking External Links In Nairaland Takes You Off The Forum by franctony(m): 12:35am On Aug 05, 2009
he should have known about this as aprofessional
Re: Clicking External Links In Nairaland Takes You Off The Forum by franctony(m): 12:38am On Aug 05, 2009
members please how can i make a post on nairaland
Re: Clicking External Links In Nairaland Takes You Off The Forum by Nobody: 9:10am On Aug 05, 2009
franctony:

members please how can i make a post on nairaland
you can start a topic by clicking "New topic" located on the thread list page-the page that lists all threads

A-town:

Your response here is a total F9. Walai you deserve to be given 10 strokes of koboko.
There's no reason for google to make links open in a new tab because no one wants to "stay" on google and stare at "google.com"
Google's sole purpose is to direct you to your search.
Nairaland, on the other hand, is a forum. If links don't open in another window, it results in a drop in traffic.
If i click on a link and the website is totally sweet, i will forget about the fact that i got to the site from nairaland.
If the site opens in a new link, the old page still remains and you can easily maintain your traffic.
It is not that hard to rectify. Go to your admin tab andd update your site juhhhhh
trust me, i was surprised to see such post too, but what can we do?
Re: Clicking External Links In Nairaland Takes You Off The Forum by Em2va: 10:47pm On Aug 10, 2009
Uncle Seun, it wouldnt cost you a thing to do just that now!? would it?

(1) (Reply)

Did You Know That The Roman Emperor "Caligula" Made His Horse A Senator? / Taxi /car Hire Service (portharcourt) / Rccg Pastor Suspended For Inviting Pasuma As Guest Artist To 3-day Crusade

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.