Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,266 members, 7,818,922 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:09 AM

Help-My Car Engine Making A Funny Sound - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help-My Car Engine Making A Funny Sound (4814 Views)

Components To Avoid When Washing A Car Engine / When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down / When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help-My Car Engine Making A Funny Sound by Bossmd: 5:32am On Aug 04, 2014
Car Experts in the house, please I need your expert opinions on this issue. Recently a very strange thing happened to my car, a 2007 Toyota Camry. I went to service the car at a Total Filling Station, this is actually the very first time I will go to a Filling Station to service the car, usually it's my mechanic that services it for me. So on this day, I went to Total to service the car. The guy there drained the oil and refilled it with their own oil "Total Quartz 5000 20w-50", I was hesitant initially because the recommended oil that was written on the engine oil cap was 0w-20 or 5w-20, but the guy there said it will still work for the car. So I consented and he put the oil in it.

When he finished the job I drove out of the station. But after driving about 8-10km I started hearing a strange rattling sound when revving the car from 2rpm and above and later I saw a very strange message on my dashboard display saying "Low Engine Oil Pressure", after that 2 minutes later the car stopped moving and the engine stopped. I was surprised and at the same time confused, how can an engine I just serviced less than 10 minutes ago be low on oil. I ignored the message and restarted the car, it started and drove for another short distance with the same message still displaying and then the engine stopped again and the car came to a stop, attempt to start it again failed as it could not start again. I just steered it to the side of the road and popped open the hood. As i stepped out of the car I noticed oil draining from under the car, So I checked the oil level inside the engine by pulling out the oil guage, and Alas my worst nightmare!!! All the oil in the engine had drained out!!!. What could be the cause of this? I asked myself, but there was nothing I could do so I looked for a towing vehicle that now towed the vehicle back to Total service station where I did the servicing. When we got there we noticed that the oil filter was no longer seen, It had dropped off somewhere along the road and all the oil in the car had drained out!! The oil filter was not properly placed. S o they refill with another oil. they restarted the engine and it started. But as I drove out I noticed that strange rattling noise like metal hitting metal. I really didn't know what is causing this noise so on getting home I called a mechanic who came to inspect the car, Immediately he started the car and revved it, he confirmed my worst fear!! He said that is a "knocking sound" and that is a sign that the engine can die anytime soon!!!

At that point I knew I was finished!! Now I'm confused, Nairaland please help, I was referred here by a friend to seek expert advice, Please you guys should help me please, does this mean my engine has knocked?? Aaah!! Oh my God, Please you guys should throw in your expert opinions, Car experts here please what could be wrong at this time? Is it something that can be repaired?? I need help!!!
Re: Help-My Car Engine Making A Funny Sound by mayor2013: 6:26am On Aug 04, 2014
Sorry about this. Your case is very pathetic. Am not going to throw any blames @ you but to only the "low learned person" that serviced your car. I presume he wanted to cut cost by using a substandard oil filter or he didnt place the oil filter well to fit in properly. As for that rattling sound. There are two things involved here. It could be a knocking sound on one end and could be your rocker arms are worn off as a result of low oil level in the engine. So what your mechanic should do is examine it properly before concluding. If it was immediately after servicing you heard the rattling sound then you might be lucky that the viscosity of oil used was the cause of that sound.. I would just advice first you go get a 5w20 oil or 0w20. And redo your service. Luck might just come your way. MHO!!!

1 Like

Re: Help-My Car Engine Making A Funny Sound by Bossmd: 7:25am On Aug 04, 2014
mayor2013: Sorry about this. Your case is very pathetic. Am not going to throw any blames @ you but to only the "low learned person" that serviced your car. I presume he wanted to cut cost by using a substandard oil filter or he didnt place the oil filter well to fit in properly. As for that rattling sound. There are two things involved here. It could be a knocking sound on one end and could be your rocker arms are worn off as a result of low oil level in the engine. So what your mechanic should do is examine it properly before concluding. If it was immediately after servicing you heard the rattling sound then you might be lucky that the viscosity of oil used was the cause of that sound.. I would just advice first you go get a 5w20 oil or 0w20. And redo your service. Luck might just come your way. MHO!!!

Aaah....Oh my God.
So I should go and get 5w-20 oil. Where do I get that? What is meant by Rocker arms? What if it's a knocking sound? Am I done for? Help please before I leave the house this morning I want to decide on what to do.

Thank you.
Re: Help-My Car Engine Making A Funny Sound by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:31am On Aug 04, 2014
You drove your car without oil. Get a new engine.

4 Likes

Re: Help-My Car Engine Making A Funny Sound by Bossmd: 7:34am On Aug 04, 2014
GAZZUZZ: You drove your car without oil. Get a new engine.

Aaah!!! Honestly I didn't realise this. I serviced the car that same day!!
Re: Help-My Car Engine Making A Funny Sound by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:37am On Aug 04, 2014
Bossmd:

Aaah!!! Honestly I didn't realise this. I serviced the car that same day!!

Save your self the stress have your engine replaced the slowpoke in total has destroyed your engine.

3 Likes

Re: Help-My Car Engine Making A Funny Sound by mayor2013: 7:43am On Aug 04, 2014
Gazzuz grin
Re: Help-My Car Engine Making A Funny Sound by Bossmd: 7:46am On Aug 04, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Save your self the stress have your engine replaced the slowpoke in total has destroyed your engine.

Hhmmmmm!!!

Drama don start be dat oh!! They are in for it at Total. They will do the replacement. No story!!!

Change engine ke!!! I'm still in shock!!!
Re: Help-My Car Engine Making A Funny Sound by Bossmd: 7:48am On Aug 04, 2014
@Gazzuzz should I still go with the option of changing the oil to a 5w-20 first?

1 Like

Re: Help-My Car Engine Making A Funny Sound by alabiyemmy(m): 7:50am On Aug 04, 2014
U said you have a Mechanic. Have him come check the Car na. And why are u saying u r finished cos of a vehicle?

2 Likes

Re: Help-My Car Engine Making A Funny Sound by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:01am On Aug 04, 2014
Bossmd: @Gazzuzz should I still go with the option of changing the oil to a 5w-20 first?

Even if you put holy water that engine is toast.

Not don't get me wrong your engine is fixable but not as cheap as you would expect.

1. Brand new set of bolts for the cylinder.
2. New crankshaft
3.New engine bearings
4.New rings
5.Probably new connecting rods
6.New gaskets

By the time you recive a bill you would be better off buying a tokumbor engine.

I here the price has come down now. Is it 4cylinder?
Re: Help-My Car Engine Making A Funny Sound by Bossmd: 8:42am On Aug 04, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Even if you put holy water that engine is toast.

Not don't get me wrong your engine is fixable but not as cheap as you would expect.

1. Brand new set of bolts for the cylinder.
2. New crankshaft
3.New engine bearings
4.New rings
5.Probably new connecting rods
6.New gaskets

By the time you recive a bill you would be better off buying a tokumbor engine.

I here the price has come down now. Is it 4cylinder?

Yes 4 cylinder
Re: Help-My Car Engine Making A Funny Sound by Ikenna351(m): 8:42am On Aug 04, 2014
Bossmd: Car Experts in the house, please I need your expert opinions on this issue. Recently a very strange thing happened to my car, a 2007 Toyota Camry. I went to service the car at a Total Filling Station, this is actually the very first time I will go to a Filling Station to service the car, usually it's my mechanic that services it for me. So on this day, I went to Total to service the car. The guy there drained the oil and refilled it with their own oil "Total Quartz 5000 20w-50", I was hesitant initially because the recommended oil that was written on the engine oil cap was 0w-20 or 5w-20, but the guy there said it will still work for the car. So I consented and he put the oil in it.

When he finished the job I drove out of the station. But after driving about 8-10km I started hearing a strange rattling sound when revving the car from 2rpm and above and later I saw a very strange message on my dashboard display saying "Low Engine Oil Pressure", after that 2 minutes later the car stopped moving and the engine stopped . I was surprised and at the same time confused, how can an engine I just serviced less than 10 minutes ago be low on oil. I ignored the message and restarted the car , it started and drove for another short distance with the same message still displaying and then the engine stopped again and the car came to a stop, attempt to start it again failed as it could not start again. I just steered it to the side of the road and popped open the hood. As i stepped out of the car I noticed oil draining from under the car, So I checked the oil level inside the engine by pulling out the oil guage, and Alas my worst nightmare!!! All the oil in the engine had drained out!!!. What could be the cause of this? I asked myself, but there was nothing I could do so I looked for a towing vehicle that now towed the vehicle back to Total service station where I did the servicing. When we got there we noticed that the oil filter was no longer seen, It had dropped off somewhere along the road and all the oil in the car had drained out!! The oil filter was not properly placed. S o they refill with another oil. they restarted the engine and it started. But as I drove out I noticed that strange rattling noise like metal hitting metal. I really didn't know what is causing this noise so on getting home I called a mechanic who came to inspect the car, Immediately he started the car and revved it, he confirmed my worst fear!! He said that is a "knocking sound" and that is a sign that the engine can die anytime soon!!!

At that point I knew I was finished!! Now I'm confused, Nairaland please help, I was referred here by a friend to seek expert advice, Please you guys should help me please, does this mean my engine has knocked?? Aaah!! Oh my God, Please you guys should throw in your expert opinions, Car experts here please what could be wrong at this time? Is it something that can be repaired?? I need help!!!

Don't take it the wrong way, what you need first is to go and learn how to be a driver and a car owner. Because that one knows how to steer a vehicle doesnt make him/her a driver. One starts from learning what is called a car/vehicle, how to drive a vehicle and what it takes to keep a car running in good shape. If one has not grasp this, sorry, the person is yet a driver.

You drove off from a place you renewed your engine oil and oil filter. Few minutes into the drive, you got "Low Engine Oil Pressure" warning and you ignored it and kept driving? Do you really in all honesty want to blame the clown that replace that oil filter for damaging your engine, when you were warned before hand by the poor car?

Why I am telling this? Because it will happen again, another new engine or not. Tomorrow, your car warns you off low coolant or overheating, you will ignore it and continue driving, right? Thats why you need to go back and learn how to be a driver. For a start, take a day off and start with the Car Owners Manual.

Anyway, as for your engine, give GAZZUZZ suggestion a thought.

Ikenna

1 Like

Re: Help-My Car Engine Making A Funny Sound by Bossmd: 9:04am On Aug 04, 2014
Ikenna351:

Don't take it the wrong way, what you need first is to go and learn how to be a driver and a car owner. Because that one knows how to steer a vehicle doesnt make him/her a driver. One starts from learning what is called a car/vehicle, how to drive a vehicle and what it takes to keep a car running in good shape. If one has not grasp this, sorry, the person is yet a driver.

You drove off from a place you renewed your engine oil and oil filter. Few minutes into the drive, you got "Low Engine Oil Pressure" warning and you ignored it and kept driving? Do you really in all honesty want to blame the clown that replace that oil filter for damaging your engine, when you were warned before hand by the poor car?

Why I am telling this? Because it will happen again, another new engine or not. Tomorrow, your car warns you off low coolant or overheating, you will ignore it and continue driving, right? Thats why you need to go back and learn how to be a driver. For a start, take a day off and start with the Car Owners Manual.

Anyway, as for your engine, give GAZZUZZ suggestion a thought.

Ikenna

Thanks Ikenna. It is not only the engine that is toast at this stage. I'm also toast!!

2 Likes

Re: Help-My Car Engine Making A Funny Sound by Ikenna351(m): 9:37am On Aug 04, 2014
Bossmd:

Thanks Ikenna. It is not only the engine that is toast at this stage. I'm also toast!!

My advice to you is try to be bigger than your problems. Because its not the problems we face that define us. Its how we choose to handle them. Issues will always come up. Challenges are bound to come our way. But as long as we keep our heads up, they will go as they come. The more challenges we face and conquer, the the greater or more succesful we become in life. There are people that suddenly found themselves in wheelchairs. They didnt give up because of that. Some, whom were nobody before the wheelchair, became millionaires while in the wheelchairs. Its called "becoming bigger than your problems".

Take a deep breath and think how you can start earning income bigger than what you earn monthly today. So that next time such nightmare comes up, you may choose to replace the entire car or replace the engine that same day without even feeling it.

Challenges bring up opportunities to make us more succesful in life. Its all about mindset shift. Been there, done that!

Ikenna

4 Likes

Re: Help-My Car Engine Making A Funny Sound by diportivo: 10:41am On Aug 04, 2014
Is it possible to av the house know the particular filling station in question?so odas can learn how to 'package' ourselves..mr ikenna351,wat dyu think sir?
Re: Help-My Car Engine Making A Funny Sound by mayor2013: 5:28pm On Aug 04, 2014
I ll suggest he buys another engine rather than overhauling the old engine. I strongly concur with what Mr ikenna said. You need to learn the rudiments to having a car
Re: Help-My Car Engine Making A Funny Sound by Bossmd: 8:45pm On Aug 04, 2014
My Submission:

I took the car to the service station where the oil was changed today.
They brought down the engine and ripped it apart. It was discovered that a pair of bearings on the connecting rods got really scratched.... (due to frictions as a result of the oil leakage). They replaced 4 pairs of bearings. The crank shaft was still intact as well as the connecting rods.

I procured 5w-20 oil (5 quarts) which was used.

The engine was recoupled and now the knocking sound is gone.

Thanks for everyone that contributed to this thread.
We learn everyday.

It's once bitten twice shy.

Cheers.

4 Likes

Re: Help-My Car Engine Making A Funny Sound by Bossmd: 4:01pm On Aug 05, 2014
Hello All.

I regret to announce to you all that the engine noise has returned and is now progressively increasing in intensity. I fear I may have to get a replacement engine like you all advised.
Re: Help-My Car Engine Making A Funny Sound by pragmatistm(m): 7:41pm On Aug 05, 2014
Sorry for the nasty experience. You may need to replace the engine. But before then, take it back to the filling station and ask them to recheck it and see if its a small problem like before. But if its a major part of the engine that has become bad, just make up your mind and replace the engine.
Re: Help-My Car Engine Making A Funny Sound by Bossmd: 9:39pm On Aug 05, 2014
Sienna, Gazzuzz, the entire engineers in the house, Please help:

A spare part dealer told us today that 2002-2006 Camry (Big for nothing) and 2007-2009 Camry (Muscle) all use the same engine 2AZFE. He went further to say that Toyota Camry 2002-2009, Toyota Highlander and Toyota Solara all use the same engines.

Then a mechanic again told us that the engine for 2007-2009 Camry is different from that of 2002-2006 Camry, he went further to say that the 2007-09 Engine is more powerful than the 2002-06 engines.

Experts in the house, please I need your input on this issue before I delve into the unforeseen!

Also what are the signs to look out for when buying a tokunbo engine to be able to know it's a very good engine and not a recoupled nigerian used?

Please Siena and all other experts I need your inputs and it's kind of urgent.

Thank you.
Re: Help-My Car Engine Making A Funny Sound by Bossmd: 9:57pm On Aug 05, 2014
Bossmd: Sienna, Gazzuzz, the entire engineers in the house, Please help:

A spare part dealer told us today that 2002-2006 Camry (Big for nothing) and 2007-2009 Camry (Muscle) all use the same engine 2AZFE. He went further to say that Toyota Camry 2002-2009, Toyota Highlander and Toyota Solara all use the same engines.

Then a mechanic again told us that the engine for 2007-2009 Camry is different from that of 2002-2006 Camry, he went further to say that the 2007-09 Engine is more powerful than the 2002-06 engines.

Experts in the house, please I need your input on this issue before I delve into the unforeseen!

Also what are the signs to look out for when buying a tokunbo engine to be able to know it's a very good engine and not a recoupled nigerian used?

Please Siena and all other experts I need your inputs and it's kind of urgent.

Thank you.

Hello
Re: Help-My Car Engine Making A Funny Sound by Bossmd: 5:41am On Aug 06, 2014
Ikenna351:

My advice to you is try to be bigger than your problems. Because its not the problems we face that define us. Its how we choose to handle them. Issues will always come up. Challenges are bound to come our way. But as long as we keep our heads up, they will go as they come. The more challenges we face and conquer, the the greater or more succesful we become in life. There are people that suddenly found themselves in wheelchairs. They didnt give up because of that. Some, whom were nobody before the wheelchair, became millionaires while in the wheelchairs. Its called "becoming bigger than your problems".

Take a deep breath and think how you can start earning income bigger than what you earn monthly today. So that next time such nightmare comes up, you may choose to replace the entire car or replace the engine that same day without even feeling it.

Challenges bring up opportunities to make us more succesful in life. Its all about mindshift. Been there, done that!

Ikenna

@Ikenna please can you kindly direct me on where I can get a very sound Low-mileage Tokunbo Engine in Lagos? I heard they do recouple some Nigerian used ones as Tokunbo and I don't want to fall victim.

Thank you.
Re: Help-My Car Engine Making A Funny Sound by Ikenna351(m): 10:31am On Aug 06, 2014
Bossmd:

@Ikenna please can you kindly direct me on where I can get a very sound Low-mileage Tokunbo Engine in Lagos? I heard they do recouple some Nigerian used ones as Tokunbo and I don't want to fall victim.

Thank you.

I live in Abuja.

Good morning.

Ikenna

1 Like

Re: Help-My Car Engine Making A Funny Sound by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:51am On Aug 06, 2014
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_AZ_engine

Bossmd please read the info in the link.
Re: Help-My Car Engine Making A Funny Sound by Bossmd: 10:28am On Aug 11, 2014
Thanks everyone that honoured this thread.

I eventually replaced the engine. I instructed that all other peripherals like Alternator, Fuel Injector, Spark Plugs, AC Condenser etc be left in-situ in my car. So the engine was coupled in, It took a whole day to get the job done. But it was eventually done. When we started the car it started well at the first attempt. It has not given any issues since then. And the acceleration has been perfect. My only uncertainty is that I don't know how many miles have gone on the new engine. I tried looking for the engine 'casting/block' number but didn't see it. It's just the serial number that was clearly visible.

But since the engine is working well, I will just ensure timely oil change to keep the engine in a premium working condition. I'm still looking at where I can get Mobil 1 5w-20 here in Lagos, but if I don't get I guess I'll stick with semi-synthetics with 30% synthetic blend for now.
Re: Help-My Car Engine Making A Funny Sound by timsobj: 11:36am On Aug 11, 2014
Get your mechanic to inspect the engine very well since the noise came suddenly after oil change. Sometimes a piece mental could have gone in along with your lub. After proper investigation you can add green engine revolution. Start the car do not rev allow it to run for 5 -10 minutes. Listen to engine sound carefully & note your observations & revert. Good luck.
Re: Help-My Car Engine Making A Funny Sound by Bossmd: 11:45am On Aug 11, 2014
timsobj: Get your mechanic to inspect the engine very well since the noise came suddenly after oil change. Sometimes a piece mental could have gone in along with your lub. After proper investigation you can add green engine revolution. Start the car do not rev allow it to run for 5 -10 minutes. Listen to engine sound carefully & note your observations & revert. Good luck.

Thanks. But the car engine has been replaced already.
By the way, what is 'green engine revolution'?
Re: Help-My Car Engine Making A Funny Sound by timsobj: 9:18am On Aug 15, 2014
Green Engine Revolution is the Latest Scientific Breakthrough in Micro-lubrication Technology. It protects mating metals in your engine from wear & tear ie it reduces friction upto 95%. It's formulated into various applicable forms. Like Engine Revolution; This is poured into the engine directly about 10% oil volume. Fuel Revolution: This goes into the fuel tank. The Revolution Freeze(EP-2 Lithium based). And penetrating Lub(Anti-rust & corrosion). You visit any Automedics workshops to get one or send email to valuepdts@gmail. com. I advice you protect the engine immediately.

Re: Help-My Car Engine Making A Funny Sound by Nobody: 7:36pm On Aug 15, 2014
so how is the performance of the new engine and d car generally ?
Re: Help-My Car Engine Making A Funny Sound by Nobody: 7:37pm On Aug 15, 2014
Bossmd: Thanks everyone that honoured this thread.

I eventually replaced the engine. I instructed that all other peripherals like Alternator, Fuel Injector, Spark Plugs, AC Condenser etc be left in-situ in my car. So the engine was coupled in, It took a whole day to get the job done. But it was eventually done. When we started the car it started well at the first attempt. It has not given any issues since then. And the acceleration has been perfect. My only uncertainty is that I don't know how many miles have gone on the new engine. I tried looking for the engine 'casting/block' number but didn't see it. It's just the serial number that was clearly visible.

But since the engine is working well, I will just ensure timely oil change to keep the engine in a premium working condition. I'm still looking at where I can get Mobil 1 5w-20 here in Lagos, but if I don't get I guess I'll stick with semi-synthetics with 30% synthetic blend for now.

I'm sure you already bought the engine oil
Re: Help-My Car Engine Making A Funny Sound by samuel8156: 12:59am On Sep 10, 2014
Milemaster Synthetic Blend Motor Oil (5w20/5w30) readily available in abuja

Aaah....Oh my God.
So I should go and get 5w-20 oil. Where do I get that? What is meant by Rocker arms? What if it's a knocking sound? Am I done for? Help please before I leave the house this morning I want to decide on what to do.

Thank you.[/quote]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Car Scanning And Diagnostics. Fix that fault. / Honda Civic Vs Ford Focus [IMAGE] / My Honda Accord Vibrate/jerk When Entering First/second Gear And Reverse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.