Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,020 members, 7,810,822 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:13 PM

Scam alert!!!! For FIRST BANK USERS - Don't Fall For This!! - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Scam alert!!!! For FIRST BANK USERS - Don't Fall For This!! (2730 Views)

Do Not Fall For These Scam!!!! ( Screen Shots) / On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE / First Bank Uyo Shut Down As A Result Of Juju (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scam alert!!!! For FIRST BANK USERS - Don't Fall For This!! by Yugosng(m): 3:58pm On Aug 05, 2014
Hi everyone, first off, I don't know where exactly to post this. Please the MODs should help appropriately in moving this to the right page.

I was going through my email and saw this email that was supposedly sent by "First Online".

The scammers tried to be smart with this one by saying that you have been successfully migrated to First Bank's new ebanking platform, and that it is compulsory that you update your details (username, password, security Q & A, and 1 token generated number) to avoid your account blocked, and your token becoming invalid.

Once you click the link specified in the mail, you will be directed to a perfectly cloned version of the genuine FirstBank login page. If you make the mistake of putting your username, password, security Q & A, then one generated token number, they will immediately swoop into action, using all these details to wipe your bank account clean!

I am writing this to warn all Nairalanders that this is a classic scam - a very well designed one. This email looks so real that anyone could fall for it, as it is near-perfect.

If you have already responded to such email, please login to the real FirstBank online platform and change your password immediately, after which you should call FirstContact immediately to freeze your online account.

I have already called FirstContact to report this, and decided to post this here to alert everyone.

Tips On How To Easily Spot eBanking Scams, and How To Avoid Them

With the warning above given, here are few tips to help you easily spot out fake emails from Banks so that you don't fall a victim of a phis attack:

1. Never. I repeat, Never ever reply to any email asking you for personal details, even if it's from the CEO of the bank himself. You'd never be asked for personal details via email.

2. Be very careful clicking a link given to you in an email supposedly sent to you from your bank. 98% of the time, it's a masked link that directs you to the cloned version of your bank portal.

3. Always look at the url in your browser url tab before going ahead with filling in your login details. There should always be an "https", followed by the usual link to your bank's login page. If you start seeing many funny characters and names that seem strange, hit the close button immediately!!

4. If for any strange reasons, you did not take heed to steps 1 to 3 and compromised your login details, change your password immidiately, then call your bank's customer care immdiately to halt all activities concerning your online banking.

Here is how the email was sent to me today:

Dear valued customer,

You have been successfully migrated to the new FirstOnline, our enhanced internet banking solution

Kindly update all your records with us correctly to prevent service interruption/suspension.

KINDLY FOLLOW THE BELOW INSTRUCTION

1. Go to https://www.1stbanknigeria- online.com/corp/ .

2.Enter Your Current USERID & PASSWORD & a TOKEN CODE

3. It is mandatory to enter the code generated by your FBN hardware token device

4. Lastly, Provide the Answer to your secret questions

5. 5. Please kindly move this message to your inbox folder if found in your junk

KINDLY NOTE THAT YOU ARE REQUIRED TO IN PUT YOUR TOKEN CODE FOR SUCCESSFUL UPDATES TO OUR NEW SITE

You must Synchronize your token to avoid locking of your token thereby making it impossible to carry out transactions online.

Thank you for banking with us.

Just for the fun of it, I replied by "updating" my "details" on their site. This was my response in pictures.

Re: Scam alert!!!! For FIRST BANK USERS - Don't Fall For This!! by phranco(m): 4:29pm On Aug 05, 2014
Hmmmm this is a perfect clone oo, these boys should go and rest
Re: Scam alert!!!! For FIRST BANK USERS - Don't Fall For This!! by onatisi(m): 4:42pm On Aug 05, 2014
phranco: Hmmmm this is a perfect clone oo, these boys should go and rest
even there is nairaland cloned website
Re: Scam alert!!!! For FIRST BANK USERS - Don't Fall For This!! by Youngzedd(m): 4:47pm On Aug 05, 2014
Change the subject.
Re: Scam alert!!!! For FIRST BANK USERS - Don't Fall For This!! by Yugosng(m): 6:31pm On Aug 05, 2014
Youngzedd: Change the subject.

Thanks for the suggestion @Younzedd. What do you think will be a better title?
Re: Scam alert!!!! For FIRST BANK USERS - Don't Fall For This!! by lcoral(f): 9:02pm On Aug 05, 2014
@ op. Thanks for this useful information. For the title I would suggest. "Scam alert!!!! For FIRST BANK USERS".
Re: Scam alert!!!! For FIRST BANK USERS - Don't Fall For This!! by Yugosng(m): 9:14pm On Aug 05, 2014
lcoral: @ op. Thanks for this useful information. For the title I would suggest. "Scam alert!!!! For FIRST BANK USERS".

@Icoral, you are right on the money with your title suggestion. Thanks!
Re: Scam alert!!!! For FIRST BANK USERS - Don't Fall For This!! by Nobody: 9:27pm On Aug 05, 2014
Boyz ar really hustling!
Re: Scam alert!!!! For FIRST BANK USERS - Don't Fall For This!! by Yugosng(m): 11:57am On Aug 06, 2014
stardragon: Boyz ar really hustling!

I tell you!!

(1) (Reply)

How To Start Recharge Card Printing Business With As Little As N3,000. / Proven Ways To Make Money On Nairaland Forum / The Journey Of A Startup CEO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.