Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,918 members, 7,838,277 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 06:26 PM

Lasu Turns Out 12 First Class As Workers Disrupt Convocation amid tigh security - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lasu Turns Out 12 First Class As Workers Disrupt Convocation amid tigh security (18750 Views)

UNICAL Produces 12 First Class As 7,222 Graduate / 69 Bag First Class As 6,710 Students Graduated From UNILORIN / ASUU Members Disrupt Lecture At UNIBEN (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lasu Turns Out 12 First Class As Workers Disrupt Convocation amid tigh security by Nobody: 6:59am On Aug 07, 2014
englishmart: you didn't even let me land.

Sorry smiley!

But I don't quite agree with the assertion that ''they are indolent''

I recall my university days....how I once had to do an assignment(this was the late 90's)...and I went to the library....only to find zero helpful books.

And don't get me started on the over-crowded lecture theaters,and the lab sessions...where there were ten to a spectrophotometer....honestly I don't blame students...(Of course, some of them are indolent....I am not that naive!).
Re: Lasu Turns Out 12 First Class As Workers Disrupt Convocation amid tigh security by Akinola2543(m): 7:03am On Aug 07, 2014
bushdoc9919:

What do you people expect?

ASUU went on strike last year to get MORE money for universities...but you Nigerians called them heartless...and thus they accepted far less cash than they asked for....and now our universities have limited funds...and an increasing number of students....which need an increasing number of facilities.

(Yes ,I hear that Unis should provide improved facilities for the students before increasing fees. Well.....where do you expect the universities to get the money for the improved facilities then?)
Re: Lasu Turns Out 12 First Class As Workers Disrupt Convocation amid tigh security by Nobody: 7:14am On Aug 07, 2014
Na Wa for dis our country o...chai

1 Like

Re: Lasu Turns Out 12 First Class As Workers Disrupt Convocation amid tigh security by freshness2020: 7:35am On Aug 07, 2014
bushdoc9919:

What do you people expect?

ASUU went on strike last year to get MORE money for universities...but you Nigerians called them heartless...and thus they accepted far less cash than they asked for....and now our universities have limited funds...and an increasing number of students....which need an increasing number of facilities.

(Yes ,I hear that Unis should provide improved facilities for the students before increasing fees. Well.....where do you expect the universities to get the money for the improved facilities then?)
What is our tax payer money meant for... These people know what they are doing. All of this rubbish they are doing always falls back on the gullible poor masses.
Re: Lasu Turns Out 12 First Class As Workers Disrupt Convocation amid tigh security by Kossyne(m): 7:38am On Aug 07, 2014
Congrats to the First class graduates.
Re: Lasu Turns Out 12 First Class As Workers Disrupt Convocation amid tigh security by mosbiod(m): 7:41am On Aug 07, 2014
englishmart: 11,000 graduating student from just 1 school.

Chai!

I think the government is trying

But only 12 first class graduates.?

Chai

I think the students are indolent

Finally, ssunu protesting June-July salaries?

Now this is not good.

Pay us our money! undecided

Wrong for you to assume the students are indolent
Re: Lasu Turns Out 12 First Class As Workers Disrupt Convocation amid tigh security by luvola(m): 7:48am On Aug 07, 2014
englishmart: 11,000 graduating student from just 1 school.

Chai!

I think the government is trying

But only 12 first class graduates.?

Chai

I think the students are indolent

Finally, ssunu protesting June-July salaries?

Now this is not good.

Pay us our money! undecided

It not like that. Remember this is a school where they will fustrate you ,the environment and the numerous sadistic lecturers they have. This is not a private school where large first class are produce.

11,972 graduating students ....

12 First class graduate..

% of first class = 12/11,972 * 100

= 0.1002338791 %

Jeez... Lasu no try o... The number is not even up to 1percent.. Avoid Lasu ,unilorin ,OAU if you want an easy first class because those schools will fustrate you.
Re: Lasu Turns Out 12 First Class As Workers Disrupt Convocation amid tigh security by Kossyne(m): 7:53am On Aug 07, 2014
luvola:

It not like that. Remember this is a school where they will fustrate you ,the environment and the numerous sadistic lecturers they have. This is not a private school where large first class are produce.

11,972 graduating students ....

12 First class graduate..

% of first class = 12/11,972 * 100

= 0.1002338791 %

Jeez... Lasu no try o... The number is not even up to 1percent.. Avoid Lasu ,unilorin ,OAU if you want an easy first class because those schools will fustrate you.

Easy First class?...now that's a new one.

1 Like

Re: Lasu Turns Out 12 First Class As Workers Disrupt Convocation amid tigh security by dre11(m): 7:55am On Aug 07, 2014
Where is the educational institution heading tooooo
Re: Lasu Turns Out 12 First Class As Workers Disrupt Convocation amid tigh security by stigman(m): 8:02am On Aug 07, 2014
bushdoc9919:

You are very right...on point.

But the main reason why we cannot turn out good graduates (I am not a university staff BTW) is FUNDING.

And thanks to the reduction in the N3trillion promised universities in 2009 to N1 trillion in 2013 (N3 trillion was never paid)...we are going to have more problems with funding.

Minister Shekarau better find ways to get 30% of the budget for education somehow....somehow.

Supporters club, I don't think both of u will write this, if una papa dey there, what is politics in what they worked for, two full months without pay, you guys need to think like grown ups, I know too well that if they owe two of you just 3 days into the new month the whole world will here through NL grin
Re: Lasu Turns Out 12 First Class As Workers Disrupt Convocation amid tigh security by Chibokgame: 8:09am On Aug 07, 2014
Again !
APC govt. And their manner of owing Staff wages.
Mmmmmmmmm.
It's not good O .
Re: Lasu Turns Out 12 First Class As Workers Disrupt Convocation amid tigh security by anishe(m): 8:31am On Aug 07, 2014
I'm cold. I need cuddling.

This weather for two of a thing is killing mehn!!!

Who can be of help should holla me right away.

Hhehnhehn, what's the tread about in summary?

BRB after I've been laid by a good nairalander.
Re: Lasu Turns Out 12 First Class As Workers Disrupt Convocation amid tigh security by bourbon(m): 8:36am On Aug 07, 2014
dis seems to b d order of d day in dis country... owe workers salary wait for them to protest b4 U ansa..... SMH for Nigerian govt. God help Us alllllllllllllll
Re: Lasu Turns Out 12 First Class As Workers Disrupt Convocation amid tigh security by KingAdeOluomo1(m): 9:13am On Aug 07, 2014
luvola: ***** Governor fashola to commission project tomorrow

***** 12 bagged first class out of 11,000 graduating students.

***** SSANU workers protest over outstanding salary

Confusion in LASU as workers disrupt
convocation
AUGUST 6, 2014 BY CHARLES ABAH
Leave a Comment
There was confusion again at the Lagos State
University, Ojo on Wednesday as workers
disrupted the proceedings of the institution’s
19 convocation.
The workers, comprising mainly members of
the Senior Staff Association of Nigerian
Universities, chanted solidarity songs as they
protested against what they called the
“authorities’ insensitivity to their plight.”
The SSANU members, who defiled the heavy
security presence on campus, held the
university management team to ransom
moments after they marched out of the
convocation arena.
They carried placards with inscriptions, such
as “No more maladministration in
LASU;” “Pay us our June and July salaries;”
“Obafunwa is killing LASU” and “Our salary is
our right.”
Though their action was peaceful, security
operatives discreetly whisked away the Vice-
Chancellor of the university, Prof. John
Obafunwa, from the convocation arena.
On finding that the VC had left the venue, the
protesting workers marched to the major road
on campus and blocked it with their Toyota
bus, an action that caused heavy traffic in the
institution for more than three hours.
It took the intervention of the institution’s
Registrar, Oladapo Lewis, who addressed
some of the SSANU members led by their
Chairman, Mr. Saheed Oseni, at the
Administrative Block of the university, to
agree to end the agitation on Wednesday.
They, however, vowed to continue the protest
on Thursday. The second leg of the
convocation holds on Thursday and the
Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Fashola is
to inaugurate some projects on campus.
Oseni, while responding to the Registrar’s call
for peace, declared that the authorities would
face “a more embarrassing situation” on
Thursday should they fail to address their
grievances.
He said, “Thursday will be worse than this
should the university council and the state
government fail to pay our June and July
salaries. The protest is going to be massive.
The action of today is just a tip of the
iceberg.
“We are requesting the unconditional release
of salaries. It is not right for the authorities
to hold this kind of ceremony where workers
are hungry. Even if they deploy one million
policemen on campus tomorrow, they cannot
stop us if they fail to pay our salaries.”
Earlier, during the brief convocation
ceremonies, which lasted less than an hour,
Obafunwa urged the graduating students to
continue to excel in their chosen fields.
No fewer than 9,169 graduands passed out
from the university with 12 of them obtaining
First Class.

http://www.punchng.com/news/confusion-in-lasu-as-workers-disrupt-convocation/
All what we are saying is pay us our salary yyyyyyy shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Lasu Turns Out 12 First Class As Workers Disrupt Convocation amid tigh security by FKseun(m): 9:31am On Aug 07, 2014
The SSANU members, who defiled the heavy security presence on campus

The correct word is: "DEFIED"
Re: Lasu Turns Out 12 First Class As Workers Disrupt Convocation amid tigh security by Orikinla(m): 9:43am On Aug 07, 2014
Lest we forget, First Class at LASU is different from First Class at UNILAG.
And First Class at UNILAG is different from First Class at UNILORIN.
And First Class at any university in Nigeria is different from First Class at any university in South Africa.
The quality of the faculty determines the quality of the graduates.
Many of the universities in Nigeria have unqualified lecturers who cannot even get teaching jobs at universities in South Africa, the UK and US.
Outdated curriculum cannot produce world class graduates no matter the First Class you give them at Nigerian universities.
Only few of the First Class graduates from Nigerian universities have gone ahead to excel and succeed in the public sector and private sector.
Nigerian universities cannot even boast of good academic journals and have not been producing commendable books for academic studies in the 21st century. And even having intellectual discussions with majority of Nigerian lecturers on contemporary issues is difficult, because most of them are not intellectually articulate and ignorant of the latest developments in their disciplines. Especially in the Arts, no Nigerian university has a new reputable academic journal for both students and scholars. Even UNN's Okike is no longer what it used to be decades ago. And majority of these students don't subscribe to any of the leading academic journals for their studies. So, when you come online to announce those who graduated with First Class, I just smirk and move on.
Majority of Nigerian students are intellectually lazy.
The Fine Arts graduates in Nigeria are the most pathetic.

2 Likes

Re: Lasu Turns Out 12 First Class As Workers Disrupt Convocation amid tigh security by zurine(f): 9:49am On Aug 07, 2014
good
Re: Lasu Turns Out 12 First Class As Workers Disrupt Convocation amid tigh security by Nobody: 10:28am On Aug 07, 2014
Orikinla: Lest we forget, First Class at LASU is different from First Class at UNILAG.
And First Class at any university in Nigeria is different from First Class at any university in South Africa.
Many of the universities in Nigeria have unqualified lecturers who cannot even get teaching jobs at universities in South Africa, the UK and US.
Outdated curriculum cannot produce world class graduates no matter the First Class you give them at Nigerian universities.
Only few of the First Class graduates from Nigerian universities have gone ahead to excel and succeed in the public sector and private sector.
Nigerian universities cannot even boast of good academic journals and have not been producing commendable books for academic studies in the 21st century. And even having intellectual discussions with majority of Nigerian lecturers on contemporary issues is difficult, because most of them are not intellectually articulate and ignorant of the latest developments in their disciplines. Especially in the Arts, no Nigerian university has a new reputable academic journal for both students and scholars. Even UNN's Okike is no longer what it used to be decades ago. And majority of these students don't subscribe to any of the leading academic journals for their studies. So, when you come online to announce those who graduated with First Class, I just smirk and move on.

Well, what do you expect from students who sleep six in a room meant for one, eat poorly, have empty libraries, whose universities are not hooked up to the ATHENS network....so cannot access the latest journals., are taught by over-stretched lecturers, have poorly equiped labs, etc.....what do YOU expect?

Miracles?

Yes....our parents used to clear first class in their day( And my father graduated from univerisity in the 70's with a class size not exceeding 20 students at one time......years later his son ...yours truly....graduated from the same university ,different course though....as part of a class of 120 students!).

The issue is our universities are overcrowded thanks to 6334....which made it too easy to go into uni(back in our parents day....you had to pass both O and A levels AND the univeristy;s matric exam before you could call yourself a university student)....and the fact that the number of people entering uni has jumped up

So....increased funding is needed....and thanks to govt saying no money...up go the fees.Or else we will just continue to have poor quality graduates.
Re: Lasu Turns Out 12 First Class As Workers Disrupt Convocation amid tigh security by Nobody: 11:05am On Aug 07, 2014
This can never happen in d Great Unilorin..
Re: Lasu Turns Out 12 First Class As Workers Disrupt Convocation amid tigh security by jaki006: 11:05am On Aug 07, 2014
Re: Lasu Turns Out 12 First Class As Workers Disrupt Convocation amid tigh security by Nobody: 11:53am On Aug 07, 2014
Orikinla: Lest we forget, First Class at LASU is different from First Class at UNILAG.

so, which of the universities did u graduated from?
Re: Lasu Turns Out 12 First Class As Workers Disrupt Convocation amid tigh security by gistmelove(m): 12:01pm On Aug 07, 2014
#frosh graduate!!!
Aliamudulilahi am out of lasu wahala
#team engineering
#e.c.e tinzz

2 Likes

Re: Lasu Turns Out 12 First Class As Workers Disrupt Convocation amid tigh security by dipo2much(m): 1:09pm On Aug 07, 2014
if na private uni, na 500 first class

1 Like

Re: Lasu Turns Out 12 First Class As Workers Disrupt Convocation amid tigh security by callonme(m): 1:29pm On Aug 07, 2014
I am among the 12 First class graduates,but couldn't attend the convocation due to the fact that I need to be in Kogi so I could serve my fatherland.Aina Oluwagbenga Emmanuel
Re: Lasu Turns Out 12 First Class As Workers Disrupt Convocation amid tigh security by gistmelove(m): 1:39pm On Aug 07, 2014
callonme: I am among the 12 First class graduates,but couldn't attend the convocation due to the fact that I need to be in Kogi so I could serve my fatherland.Aina Oluwagbenga Emmanuel
congrat go collect ur 100k..
Re: Lasu Turns Out 12 First Class As Workers Disrupt Convocation amid tigh security by GboyegaD(m): 1:48pm On Aug 07, 2014
stigman:

Supporters club, I don't think both of u will write this, if una papa dey there, what is politics in what they worked for, two full months without pay, you guys need to think like grown ups, I know too well that if they owe two of you just 3 days into the new month the whole world will here through NL grin

Go read and understand the post you quoted again as your response doesn't correspond to what you quoted. I think Bushdoc is very right as this is very evident from your post.
Re: Lasu Turns Out 12 First Class As Workers Disrupt Convocation amid tigh security by GboyegaD(m): 1:49pm On Aug 07, 2014
Chibokgame: Again !
APC govt. And their manner of owing Staff wages.
Mmmmmmmmm.
It's not good O .

Is that all you understood from the post?
Re: Lasu Turns Out 12 First Class As Workers Disrupt Convocation amid tigh security by GboyegaD(m): 1:55pm On Aug 07, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Well, what do you expect from students who sleep six in a room meant for one, eat poorly, have empty libraries, whose universities are not hooked up to the ATHENS network....so cannot access the latest journals., are taught by over-stretched lecturers, have poorly equiped labs, etc.....what do YOU expect?

Miracles?

Yes....our parents used to clear first class in their day( And my father graduated from univerisity in the 70's with a class size not exceeding 20 students at one time......years later his son ...yours truly....graduated from the same university ,different course though....as part of a class of 120 students!).

The issue is our universities are overcrowded thanks to 6334....which made it too easy to go into uni(back in our parents day....you had to pass both O and A levels AND the univeristy;s matric exam before you could call yourself a university student)....and the fact that the number of people entering uni has jumped up

So....increased funding is needed....and thanks to govt saying no money...up go the fees.Or else we will just continue to have poor quality graduates.

I understand the point you are making nevertheless, our academic staff need improve themselves.
Re: Lasu Turns Out 12 First Class As Workers Disrupt Convocation amid tigh security by Borlahr(m): 2:59pm On Aug 07, 2014
bushdoc9919: The elephant in the room.....governments at both state and Federal cannot adequately fund universities any longer.

We are reaping the benefits of the failure of the 2009 agreement.

No one wants to tell the truth that in order to balance the books....fees may go up.

Oh well.....
Re: Lasu Turns Out 12 First Class As Workers Disrupt Convocation amid tigh security by biomedixexcel(m): 3:08pm On Aug 07, 2014
Unionism in Nigeria, na wa o

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? / Mountain Top University MEGA Concert (MFM) Eko Hotel (photos) / 800 Mind Blowing Facts That Will Absolutely Make Your Day After Knowing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.