Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,191 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:07 AM

Should Children Interfere In Parent Matters? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Children Interfere In Parent Matters? (905 Views)

Before you Interfere In Any Marital Scuffle. / At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? / What Should Children Do If They Catch Either Parent Cheating? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Children Interfere In Parent Matters? by dapyd1(m): 8:33pm On Aug 08, 2014
My parents are always at loggerheads. Many a times, its my father's fault. He never understands and always want to have his way. Doesn't drop money for food or clothes or anything at all. He always want to take advantage of my mum and even borrows money from her without paying. He is one of the reasons why I still don't want to go into a relationship as I am afraid of turning out like him. The world is too small for two people like Him.
Anyway, as I said he is always trying to take advantage of my mum and gets annoyed at every little activity she does; Visit friends, go to church, get appreciated, laugh with others in fact everything.
I have never meddled in their affairs and always leave them to sort themselves out. But lately I've been thinking maybe its time to start doing/saying something. I am the first born and am a finalist in the university. They've been together for close to 24 years now.
I have a lot of anger bottled inside me against my father and I'm afraid the day the day it boils over, things may become irreparable. Even if I decide to interfere, I most likely going to take my mum's side.
Please nairalanders, what should I do? Is it right to interfere? Or should I let them be. Can I take sides?

P.S. Sorry for my jumbled piece, I wrote down my thoughts directly.
Re: Should Children Interfere In Parent Matters? by Nobody: 8:47pm On Aug 08, 2014
u r not a kid. man up and put the chips down to ur dad respectfully, let him know he is falling hIs hands and he needs to change . its not interference at all rather u r carrying out ur obligations as a first son. Besides ur mom may be depending on u to defend her without really telling you. Don't let her down.
Re: Should Children Interfere In Parent Matters? by Waspy(m): 8:59pm On Aug 08, 2014
You have to be wise on how you go abt this. Challenging one's father is not what our culture supports. I suggest you reason with him humbly, if you have to. Goodluck cool
Re: Should Children Interfere In Parent Matters? by Kanwulia: 10:39pm On Aug 08, 2014
The reason communication is very important to distinguish humans from animals. kiss
You need to have a man to man talk. . . . .
YOUR DAD NEEDS SOME PSYCH EVAL ASAP!
This might be genetic! kiss

1 Like

Re: Should Children Interfere In Parent Matters? by davno: 11:14pm On Aug 08, 2014
Guy abeg there's no man-to-man talk here. I gather dt u have bottled-up negative emotions towards ur dad. It is not ur place to call him to order. Ur parents have lived together long enough to understand their strengths and 'weaknesses'.
We don't want to hear dt u went to talk with ur dad and things got out of hand and then u killed him out of anger. Look for an elder in ur community, someone he rescpects and lay ur complaints.
Pls keep away from confronting ur dad. I don't see him listening to u. He will feel disrespected by u and might want to show u dt he's still ur father. U on d other hand might want to show him dt u've come of age. Things will escalate and someone might die, most probably ur dad. You will end up in jail and ur mum will loose the both of u.
Just my opinion
Re: Should Children Interfere In Parent Matters? by Dark1(m): 1:01am On Aug 09, 2014
@ OP, U've already judged ur dad so ur intervention will always be biased! undecided

Generally speaking, children can intervene (with respect),did a lot of that while growing up without being biased. However, whenever one of the party fails to speak out or both parties remain mute. . . its better to leave them be or invite an elderly family member/friend to intervene.
Re: Should Children Interfere In Parent Matters? by dapyd1(m): 2:22am On Aug 09, 2014
Thanks you all.
Re: Should Children Interfere In Parent Matters? by teeboo: 2:37pm On Aug 09, 2014
Naso some men dey turn,at a certain level of their life their money becomes difficult to spend,when d wife dey borrow dem money nobody go hear,anytime she refuse dat is when war stars,thank God u ave a good mum,u can talk to ur dad sha,if he won't feel u're siding ur mom
Re: Should Children Interfere In Parent Matters? by egopersonified(f): 3:19pm On Aug 09, 2014
If you have to talk to your dad, just make sure he doesnt know you are taking sides with your mum. Can try making him feel you are on his side but you want him to try a diff approach with mum. And try encouraging your muim to keep being a good wife, notwithstanding her husband's fault, even if you dont challenge your father in public, she knows you are still there for her. All the best.
Re: Should Children Interfere In Parent Matters? by Dygeasy(m): 4:04pm On Aug 09, 2014
davno: Guy abeg there's no man-to-man talk here. I gather dt u have bottled-up negative emotions towards ur dad. It is not ur place to call him to order. Ur parents have lived together long enough to understand their strengths and 'weaknesses'.
We don't want to hear dt u went to talk with ur dad and things got out of hand and then u killed him out of anger. Look for an elder in ur community, someone he rescpects and lay ur complaints.
Pls keep away from confronting ur dad. I don't see him listening to u. He will feel disrespected by u and might want to show u dt he's still ur father. U on d other hand might want to show him dt u've come of age. Things will escalate and someone might die, most probably ur dad. You will end up in jail and ur mum will loose the both of u.
Just my opinion
We just must involve a third party ain't it?
Re: Should Children Interfere In Parent Matters? by davno: 5:02pm On Aug 09, 2014
Dygeasy: We just must involve a third party ain't it?

Between d dad and d mum, the boy is already a third party.
Re: Should Children Interfere In Parent Matters? by Nobody: 7:11pm On Aug 09, 2014
@OP
you can tell your father what you think but that doesnt mean that he should change an inch of what he does. that man and woman have been "happy" together for +18yrs and here you are trying to change them for what YOU think would be better. if anyone wants to change then let it be your MOTHER first, and let her bring her issues to your dad, herself!
Re: Should Children Interfere In Parent Matters? by mumumugu(m): 10:00pm On Aug 09, 2014
When you get married. You must quarel with your wife

(1) (Reply)

After Being Single For 6 Years, Woman Marries Herself / Here's Why You Dont Need To Panic About Bedbugs Prt 1 By Chogon Fumigation &pest / See Where This Little Girl Wrote A Father's Day Message To Her Dad (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.