Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,019 members, 7,818,019 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:50 AM

Why The Ones Who Have Bad Grades Are Often The Ones Who Are Most Successful. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why The Ones Who Have Bad Grades Are Often The Ones Who Are Most Successful. (4522 Views)

Impact Of Good Academic Grades And Personal Qualities On labour Market Success / You Are A Student And Your Grades Are No Longer Encouraging.. Tips For Improveme / (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why The Ones Who Have Bad Grades Are Often The Ones Who Are Most Successful. by Nobody: 6:30am On Aug 10, 2014
This is an ode to all students who have ever
gotten B’s, C’s, D’s (and sometimes even
failed). It’s a declaration to the kids who
calculated the exact number of points they
needed to get on their finals in order to pass.
This is for all those kids who didn’t get extra
credit or get placed on honor roll. After years
of inadequacy and a lifetime of feeling average
and unremarkable, your time has come.
Someone is finally here to tell you that even if
your GPA’s lower than 1.2, you can be great.
For years, society has placed a disgustingly
large stigma on bad grades and an
overwhelming importance on good grades.
There’s a predisposed instinct to strive for A’s
and cast anything lower to the side, to deem
as unworthy. Well, it’s time to let the children
learn that it’s okay not to be an A student,
it’s okay to fail. Because here’s a little secret
the older generations are unwilling to divulge
to you: it doesn’t matter.
To all those tight-ass intellectuals out there,
it’s time to get the facts straight. For all
those years that you spent cooped up in the
library, poring over facts and stats, soliloquies
and Greek mythology, the average scoring kids
— the ones partying and getting C’s in college
— are the ones obtaining the skills that do
matter: life experiences.
Failing is a life experience. Not getting that A
on the exam you spent all night studying for,
is an experience. Life experiences are a
composite of all the skills necessary to get
along in the real world. It’s comprised of all
those skills that are only learned through
failure and the obstacles of life, like how to
hold a conversation, get away with a lie or
entertain someone you really don’t like. It’s all
those skills that high-paying Fortune 500
companies value above all else.
In college, it’s all about grades. In the real
world, it’s about experience, balls and drive.
Because once you get past the first job, no
one is ever going to ask you about your GPA
or how you did on that Psych 215 final. What
matters in the real world is your ability to
adapt, innovate and get along. There are no
scantron sheets or essay exams. There are no
TA’s to hold review sessions or to help you
practice your presentation. Real life is about
how well you can bullsh*t your way through it,
and that’s not something taught in a
classroom.
The greatest thinkers, leaders and
entrepreneurs of our time have been the men
to defy the rules and take risks. They were the
ones getting C’s or flunking out. However,
their “failures’ were not a factor of
intelligence, but an inability to be weighed
down by grades and superficial markings. Bill
Gates, Steve Jobs and Richard Branson , are
just a few of the men who achieved
unfathomable amounts of wealth, status and
success without ever really succeeding in a
classroom. They are the men, that by society’s
standards, had failed.

1 Like

Re: Why The Ones Who Have Bad Grades Are Often The Ones Who Are Most Successful. by Bunchersstab(m): 6:47am On Aug 10, 2014
Exams which they use to asertian grades is not the best test of knowledge.
Most pipu dat comes out wit gud grades so much bliv in thier grades to make it life 4getin there is wat we call devine favour/miracle which is getting wat u dont deserve from God.
Also nobody will want to employ someone whose grade is better dan his.
It takes Gods grace to excel & make exploits in life grin

4 Likes

Re: Why The Ones Who Have Bad Grades Are Often The Ones Who Are Most Successful. by Ezedon(m): 7:06am On Aug 10, 2014
That is life for u, u cant gain everythin
Re: Why The Ones Who Have Bad Grades Are Often The Ones Who Are Most Successful. by Nobody: 7:42am On Aug 10, 2014
What they might be lacking academically,they can have it elsewhere. Education doesn't guarantee success,its just a means to an end,and not end itself..those you feel aren't academic intelligent,are usually street-wise,having street knowledge is one of the surest way of been successful..

12 Likes

Re: Why The Ones Who Have Bad Grades Are Often The Ones Who Are Most Successful. by Nobody: 7:51am On Aug 10, 2014
You guys should get a life and stop discouraging brilliant students.

We have successful brilliant student with good grades and unsuccessful ones same way we have successful non-brilliant ones with bad grades and vice versa.

Most of street urchins, barrow pushers, block moulders, houseboys etc are they educated or do they have good grades?

Mtcheww. Enough of these craps.

Stop celebrating how dunce one can be academically.

Smh

17 Likes

Re: Why The Ones Who Have Bad Grades Are Often The Ones Who Are Most Successful. by Bolt3(m): 7:52am On Aug 10, 2014
I feel Smart people aren't that successful because they don't have the courage to take risks. This is so because the very smart people are usually introverts. If all thing were equal smart people will be more successful because they will learn the rules of life faster.

2 Likes

Re: Why The Ones Who Have Bad Grades Are Often The Ones Who Are Most Successful. by Idrismusty97(m): 8:47am On Aug 10, 2014
Those who are poor academically learn to look beyond education. Even those who are highly intelligent academically and also don't considered mere degrees or education as the only way to prosperity would be successful. Mark zucker and Bill Gates wasn't dull students when they dropout. They just learn to look beyond the idea of education that "It is the only/best way to be successful". I am sure they would have graduated with good grades if they continued schooling. I heard Naeto C is a graduate of chemical engineering and 2chanz is a first class graduate, both have abandoned their degrees and are exiling in their musical careers.

5 Likes

Re: Why The Ones Who Have Bad Grades Are Often The Ones Who Are Most Successful. by Olucheye(m): 8:56am On Aug 10, 2014
The Only Plausible Reason is because, they are made to come to reality and face their worst fears with bare hands.

It's evident for them that at that point, they're never going to be a success academically. Hence, they channel the burning rage and fuel of passion into seeing that they take 'Mega" risk to succeed mostly in the Business Sphere as it'll be grave to lose out again in life the second time.

This inadvertently hone and expand their risk taking capability. They eventually become bosses to the academically sound ones just to prove the later weren't better than them.

#mysubmission

1 Like

Re: Why The Ones Who Have Bad Grades Are Often The Ones Who Are Most Successful. by UrbanMystique: 9:07am On Aug 10, 2014
I support education cos it teaches you how to read and write. Anything else, education is overrated.

Your creativity and intelligence you have been able to gather over the years, if put to good use are what make man successful. Not fat degrees like pH.d etc
Not saying it's bad to have those degrees though.

1 Like

Re: Why The Ones Who Have Bad Grades Are Often The Ones Who Are Most Successful. by Donfamous(m): 9:17am On Aug 10, 2014
FrancisTony: You guys should get a life and stop discouraging brilliant students.

We have successful brilliant student with good grades and unsuccessful ones same way we have successful non-brilliant ones with bad grades and vice versa.

Most of street urchins, barrow pushers, block moulders, houseboys etc are they educated or do they have good grades?

Mtcheww. Enough of these craps.

Stop celebrating how dunce one can be academically.

Smh
dgeeeh! He isn't talkin abt non-educated or semi educated peeps. He is talking abt some ppl dat are not really sound academically. Have u geard of d book titled: WHY A STUDENTS WORK FOR B STUDENTS AND C STUDENTS WORK FOR THE GOVT?. D issue of of barrow pushers etc is outta context.

4 Likes

Re: Why The Ones Who Have Bad Grades Are Often The Ones Who Are Most Successful. by Idrismusty97(m): 9:22am On Aug 10, 2014
UrbanMystique: I support education cos it teaches you how to read and write. Anything else, education is overrated.

Your creativity and intelligence you have been able to gather over the years, if put to good use are what make man successful. Not fat degrees like pH.d etc
Not saying it's bad to have those degrees though.
You are right! The part of education that teaches you how to read and write not just in English but the language dominating the Society/country you find yourselves in is the best. Even if you are successful without education you would definitely have to learn how to read and write someday. Degrees is just an alternative for me. Most people only pursue a degree because of societal pressure and at the end they won't even practice what they studied. Someone who studied Agriculture with good degrees may end up being the owner of a large cafe or hotel.

2 Likes

Re: Why The Ones Who Have Bad Grades Are Often The Ones Who Are Most Successful. by Ruq: 9:41am On Aug 10, 2014
I was about to do IQ test and i like the message that i read. "Having an IQ is not a guarantee to success", but it sure does help a lot in certain areas of life.
But that don't mean you should be happy being a dumbo, using this as an excuse. Strive to always have a sound mind. Determination and repetition helps like they say repetition is the father of learning.

The mind is everything.

2 Likes

Re: Why The Ones Who Have Bad Grades Are Often The Ones Who Are Most Successful. by Nobody: 9:49am On Aug 10, 2014
Please, learn not to generalize.
Why should you say bad grade holders are more successful when you didn't carry out one census to obtain that result?

Anyway, someone with bad grades can still be successful in life, if he looks beyond education and faces reality, takes risks and plays smart. I'm sure he'll make it.

2 Likes

Re: Why The Ones Who Have Bad Grades Are Often The Ones Who Are Most Successful. by golddeejay(m): 9:56am On Aug 10, 2014
this is a total misconcetion. You are makin it look like those with bad grades have more tendency of been successful in life. Nothing is fixed...we have seen brilliant students become a success and flops in 'real life', also we have seen average students turning the tides. I think the deciding factors are COURAGE and DETERMINATION/PERSISTENCE. Knowledge is not power but APPLIED KNOWLEGE. Some brilliant students though have reservoir of knowledge and 'brain' do not have that courage to take action in 'real life' situation. Some even take action but give up once the tide of life is against them. These group of brainy end up not fulfillin their potential. On the other side, some average student also accept 'defeat', thinking they are meant be average, hence they fulfil the 'prophesies'. And finally we have the average students who will neva accept they are average, though their grades make not be 'smoking' so not high but they always believe and see themselves as smart in other areas. You see these average student in schools doing school politics, sports, entertainment, business and other activities. They are taking ACTIONS with the 'little' knowlege they have. They are not afraid to fail and even they are not discouraged to try again. They have these burning desires to be successful. Nothing is certain, ANYBODY CAN MAKE IT, it all depends more on our attitude and less on our grades

2 Likes

Re: Why The Ones Who Have Bad Grades Are Often The Ones Who Are Most Successful. by jorrn: 9:57am On Aug 10, 2014
grin Just passing by!
Re: Why The Ones Who Have Bad Grades Are Often The Ones Who Are Most Successful. by emperortony: 10:06am On Aug 10, 2014
New Living Translation. Eccl 9 vs 11
I have observed something else under the sun. The
fastest runner doesn't always win the race, and the
strongest warrior doesn't always win the battle.
The wise sometimes go hungry, and the skillful are
not necessarily wealthy. And those who are
educated don't always lead successful lives. It is all
decided by chance, by being in the right place at
the right time.

4 Likes

Re: Why The Ones Who Have Bad Grades Are Often The Ones Who Are Most Successful. by adebasket97: 10:15am On Aug 10, 2014
I see OP encouraging himself

3 Likes

Re: Why The Ones Who Have Bad Grades Are Often The Ones Who Are Most Successful. by CertifiedFreak(m): 10:20am On Aug 10, 2014
In as much as I agree with every postulation the op's made, our country today doesn't really see beyond its nose. Grades on paper are more important than whatever experience you think you might have garnered.

1 Like

Re: Why The Ones Who Have Bad Grades Are Often The Ones Who Are Most Successful. by golddeejay(m): 10:21am On Aug 10, 2014
emperortony: New Living Translation. Eccl 9 vs 11
I have observed something else under the sun. The
fastest runner doesn't always win the race, and the
strongest warrior doesn't always win the battle.
The wise sometimes go hungry, and the skillful are
not necessarily wealthy. And those who are
educated don't always lead successful lives. It is all
decided by chance, by being in the right place at
the right time.
cant agree less...after all said and done...there is always one important factor...some call it grace, favor. God's factor, luck, chance based on wat u beleive in

1 Like

Re: Why The Ones Who Have Bad Grades Are Often The Ones Who Are Most Successful. by tobechi74: 10:30am On Aug 10, 2014
First class students are narrow minded

books or nothing

average students know the importance of personal relations.

Without personal relations, u cant be succesful in life

4 Likes

Re: Why The Ones Who Have Bad Grades Are Often The Ones Who Are Most Successful. by emperortony: 10:32am On Aug 10, 2014
golddeejay: cant agree less...after all said and done...there is always one important factor...some call it grace, favor. God's factor, luck, chance based on wat u beleive in

Yea!!! Have often times heard successful people say, success= 90%luck + 10%timing. And I wAs like what the heck happens to hardwork. And they often end up saying truck pushers would have been the richest, if it was all about hardwork. But all the same hardwork is an added advantage.

2 Likes

Re: Why The Ones Who Have Bad Grades Are Often The Ones Who Are Most Successful. by Nobody: 10:33am On Aug 10, 2014
adebasket97: I see OP encouraging himself
Misconception.
Re: Why The Ones Who Have Bad Grades Are Often The Ones Who Are Most Successful. by Nobody: 10:34am On Aug 10, 2014
adebasket97: I see OP encouraging himself
Misconception..
Re: Why The Ones Who Have Bad Grades Are Often The Ones Who Are Most Successful. by priscaoge(f): 10:42am On Aug 10, 2014
They were destined to be successful,So whether they are intelligent Or not,it won't change their destiny smiley

2 Likes

Re: Why The Ones Who Have Bad Grades Are Often The Ones Who Are Most Successful. by priscaoge(f): 10:43am On Aug 10, 2014
Yomieluv: What they might be lacking academically,they can have it elsewhere. Education doesn't guarantee success,its just a means to an end,and not end itself..those you feel aren't academic intelligent,are usually street-wise,having street knowledge is one of the surest way of been successful..
You are right!

1 Like

Re: Why The Ones Who Have Bad Grades Are Often The Ones Who Are Most Successful. by Nobody: 10:47am On Aug 10, 2014
priscaoge: They were destined to be successful,So whether they are intelligent Or not,it won't change their destiny smiley
uhhm...
True, but to an extent. smiley
Re: Why The Ones Who Have Bad Grades Are Often The Ones Who Are Most Successful. by ednut1(m): 10:47am On Aug 10, 2014
the ability to cram is nting special. i am a very god crammer and i had good grades. but wen i started goin for interviews and tests. d employers look beyond ur grades and look at u as a whole. u might be d best crammer. but ur shy. cant express urself well. or cant even practice wat u cram.

1 Like

Re: Why The Ones Who Have Bad Grades Are Often The Ones Who Are Most Successful. by Idrismusty97(m): 10:51am On Aug 10, 2014
priscaoge: They were destined to be successful,So whether they are intelligent Or not,it won't change their destiny smiley
What about those that aren't that successful. Are they destined to be failures? I don't support your view. Everyone is destined to be successful only a few reach that destination.

3 Likes

Re: Why The Ones Who Have Bad Grades Are Often The Ones Who Are Most Successful. by priscaoge(f): 10:59am On Aug 10, 2014
Idrismusty97: What about those that aren't that successful. Are they destined to be failures? I don't support your view. Everyone is destined to be successful only a few reach that destination.
Nope,failures are not destined to be failures either. My point was based on the topic,If they were not destined to be,they will never be even if they are the most intelligent on earth. They can achieve whatever they wish to if they are determined. There are thousands of multimillionaires who are not educated Or who are dropouts yet they made it to the top. The most important thing in life is determination

2 Likes

Re: Why The Ones Who Have Bad Grades Are Often The Ones Who Are Most Successful. by GoodBoi1(m): 11:03am On Aug 10, 2014
Fallacy. Different routes lead to the market. For some academics, others skills, and academics + skills. Somethings won't be in existence if there were no rigorous studies. Applied knowledge is power. By the way there are different forms of intelligence. So, whatever your hand findeth to do it well 'cos a diligent man stands before kings.

1 Like

Re: Why The Ones Who Have Bad Grades Are Often The Ones Who Are Most Successful. by Idrismusty97(m): 11:09am On Aug 10, 2014
priscaoge:
Nope,failures are not destined to be failures either. My point was based on the topic,If they were not destined to be,they will never be even if they are the most intelligent on earth. They can achieve whatever they wish to if they are determined. There are thousands of multimillionaires who are not educated Or who are dropouts yet they made it to the top. The most important thing in life is determination
Yea true. I understand your point now.

1 Like

Re: Why The Ones Who Have Bad Grades Are Often The Ones Who Are Most Successful. by ekeneidiagbor: 11:31am On Aug 10, 2014
Indeed there are different routes to the market.... Everyone has been predestined for something, but on another hand I believe evryone has being given the sovereignty of mind and freedom to write his own destiny... There's no place written in the sky that you're destined to be dis or dat. Even the bible makes it clear 'work out your own salvation' and the grace of God that speaks favour will compliment your works.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

University Of Ibadan 2017/18 Direct Entry Thread! / Plastic Bottle Of Guinness Malt On Contains Stout. / Unical Second Semester Academics Calendar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.