Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,672 members, 7,820,357 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:32 PM

Why Did God Destroy The Tower Of Babel?? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did God Destroy The Tower Of Babel?? (1481 Views)

The Mystery Of The Tower Of Babel / Why Did GOD Destroy Sodom And Gomorrah? / Why Did God Destroy Sodom & Gomorrah But Not The Churches In The Slave Castles? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did God Destroy The Tower Of Babel?? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Aug 10, 2014
I need insightful and meaningful reply to this question

some say God realized that they were almost building to meet him in heaven??

which you and I know can never be possible, even The world's tallest man-made structure of 829.8 m
(2,722 ft) tall Burj Khalifa in Dubai, is not close to the moon

then why will God make them confused and diversify their languages because of their "unity"

I need answers

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Destroy The Tower Of Babel?? by BabaGnoni: 12:55pm On Aug 10, 2014
Yungwizzzy:

I need insightful and meaningful reply to this question

which you and I know can never be possible
even The world's tallest man-made structure
of 829.8 m (2,722 ft) tall Burj Khalifa in Dubai, is not close to the moon

then why will God make them confused and diversify their languages because of their "unity"

I need answers
^^^
https://www.nairaland.com/1790500/word-faith-movements-doctrine-proponents/9#25242171
Re: Why Did God Destroy The Tower Of Babel?? by Donfamous(m): 1:17pm On Aug 10, 2014
Yungwizzzy: I need insightful and meaningful reply to this question

which you and I know can never be possible, even The world's tallest man-made structure of 829.8 m
(2,722 ft) tall Burj Khalifa in Dubai, is not close to the moon

I need answers
the two buildings compared are for differnt purposes. Tower of Babel was built as a result of rebellion.
Re: Why Did God Destroy The Tower Of Babel?? by Infomizer(m): 2:01pm On Aug 10, 2014
Donfamous: the two buildings compared are for differnt purposes. Tower of Babel was built as a result of rebellion.
Not as a result of rebellion chief. They only wanted to make a name for themselves and be one (unite)...Oya answer o! wink
Re: Why Did God Destroy The Tower Of Babel?? by BabaGnoni: 2:36pm On Aug 10, 2014
Donfamous: the two buildings compared are for differnt purposes. Tower of Babel was built as a result of rebellion.

Infomizer:
Not as a result of rebellion chief. They only wanted to make a name for themselves and be one (unite)...Oya answer o! wink

To start with the Tower of Babel is a euphemism for rebellion
(i.e. open resistance, outright or bold disobedience, action or process of resisting authority, dissent, insubordination etc)

Babel was in Shinar,
Shinar was one of the kingdoms formed by Nimrod
Nimrod was the son of Cush (i.e. Cush was the son of Ham and the grandson of Noah)
Digression: Once you understand what actually went down in the Noah and Ham incident
(i.e. nothing to do with homo contrary to popular belief)
it is no surprise the "Tower of Babel" events in this Noah-Ham-Cush bloodline

8Cush was the father of Nimrod, who became a mighty warrior on the earth.
9He was a mighty hunter before the Lord; that is why it is said, “Like Nimrod, a mighty hunter before the Lord.”
10The first centers of his kingdom were Babylon, Uruk, Akkad and Kalneh, in Shinar.

- Gen 10:8 - 10

Gen 11:1-9
The Tower of Babel
1And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech.
2And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there.
3And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them throughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for morter. 4And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.
5And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.
6And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
7Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.
8So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.
9Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth

The tower the people proposed to build is an indirect expression substituted for trouble making, bad behavior etc
The tower's
"whose top may reach unto heaven" is a hyperbole not intended to be taken literally
but used to used to evoke strong feelings or create a strong impression of the seriousness of this reasoning, behavior or thought

Notice that the Tower of Babel itself was never built but only the city was

The city came to be called Babel (i.e. was named Babel due to the confusion God set in)
- Tower of Babel was a thought process (i.e. thought(s) building up and towering towards to the heavens)

In order to not labor this post that much, the bottom line is that "it wasn't a good thing" to have a tower of bad ideas, bad thoughts then
and it still isn't a good thing to have bad behavior thoughts now which incidentally is what Word Faith and Mind Sciences teaches

The "Tower of Babel" syndrome is not uncommon today,
and we need to be mindful that lofty ideas, thoughts, imaginations etc in different forms or guises are still peddled as gospel
to the unsuspecting hence the thread's due diligence on WoF

4(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal,
but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds)
5Casting down imaginations,
and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God,
and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

- 2 Corinthians 10:4 - 5 KJ Bible

https://www.nairaland.com/1790500/word-faith-movements-doctrine-proponents/9#25242171
Re: Why Did God Destroy The Tower Of Babel?? by Dragonking: 3:10pm On Aug 10, 2014
BabaGnoni:

To start with the Tower of Babel is a euphemism for rebellion
(i.e. open resistance, outright or bold disobedience, action or process of resisting authority, dissent, insubordination etc)

Babel was in Shinar,
Shinar was one of the kingdoms formed by Nimrod
Nimrod was the son of Cush (i.e. Cush was the son of Ham and the grandson of Noah)
Digression: Once you understand what actually went down in the Noah and Ham incident
(i.e. nothing to do with homo contrary to popular belief)
it is no surprise the "Tower of Babel" events in this Noah-Ham-Cush bloodline

8Cush was the father of Nimrod, who became a mighty warrior on the earth.
9He was a mighty hunter before the Lord; that is why it is said, “Like Nimrod, a mighty hunter before the Lord.”
10The first centers of his kingdom were Babylon, Uruk, Akkad and Kalneh, in Shinar.

- Gen 10:8 - 10

Gen 11:1-9
The Tower of Babel
1And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech.
2And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there.
3And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them throughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for morter. 4And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.
5And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.
6And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
7Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.
8So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.
9Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth

The tower the people proposed to build is an indirect expression substituted for trouble making, bad behavior etc
The tower's
"whose top may reach unto heaven" is a hyperbole not intended to be taken literally
but used to used to evoke strong feelings or create a strong impression of the seriousness of this reasoning, behavior or thought

Notice that the Tower of Babel itself was never built but only the city was

The city came to be called Babel (i.e. was named Babel due to the confusion God set in)
- Tower of Babel was a thought process (i.e. thought(s) building up and towering towards to the heavens)

In order to not labor this post that much, the bottom line is that "it wasn't a good thing" to have a tower of bad ideas, bad thoughts then
and it still isn't a good thing to have bad behavior thoughts now which incidentally is what Word Faith and Mind Sciences teaches

The "Tower of Babel" syndrome is not uncommon today,
and we need to be mindful that lofty ideas, thoughts, imaginations etc in different forms or guises are still peddled as gospel
to the unsuspecting hence the thread's due diligence on WoF

4(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal,
but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds)
5Casting down imaginations,
and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God,
and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

- 2 Corinthians 10:4 - 5 KJ Bible

This your write up doesnt still answer the OP..i am really interested in a sensible answer.
Re: Why Did God Destroy The Tower Of Babel?? by BabaGnoni: 3:25pm On Aug 10, 2014
Dragonking:

This your write up doesnt still answer the OP..i am really interested in a sensible answer.

^^^
I understand, as deconstructing ones belief, is one of the most painful things one can endure.

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Destroy The Tower Of Babel?? by Dragonking: 3:27pm On Aug 10, 2014
BabaGnoni:

^^^
I understand, as deconstructing ones belief, is one of the most painful things one can endure.

You are still not making any sense neither did you answer the OP..
Re: Why Did God Destroy The Tower Of Babel?? by BabaGnoni: 3:39pm On Aug 10, 2014
Dragonking:

You are still not making any sense neither did you answer the OP..

^^^
Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects, along roads less traveled by

On to the roads of deconstructing your beliefs, others can take you only so far
It is you who must finally walk through the door of TRUTH
but most times, like now, we use our THINKING to avoid the TRUTH
Re: Why Did God Destroy The Tower Of Babel?? by Donfamous(m): 7:40pm On Aug 10, 2014
Infomizer:
where did u get dat?
Re: Why Did God Destroy The Tower Of Babel?? by Donfamous(m): 7:42pm On Aug 10, 2014
Infomizer:
where did u get dat? Ur proof
Re: Why Did God Destroy The Tower Of Babel?? by Infomizer(m): 7:30am On Aug 11, 2014
Donfamous: where did u get dat? Ur proof
Re: Why Did God Destroy The Tower Of Babel?? by Infomizer(m): 7:32am On Aug 11, 2014
Donfamous: where did u get dat? Ur proof
It's there in the book nao. Genesis 11.4. These fellas didn't wanna be scattered. Iono how that spells rebellion o...
Re: Why Did God Destroy The Tower Of Babel?? by Weah96: 7:42am On Aug 11, 2014
Infomizer: It's there in the book nao. Genesis 11.4. These fellas didn't wanna be scattered. Iono how that spells rebellion o...

Don't mind him, it doesn't. They have their minds made up, and would allow in no new information, kinda like democrats and republican. His answer must fit with his existing belief, that's why it's not making sense. He's prepared to bend any scenario to fit that belief system.

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Destroy The Tower Of Babel?? by Donfamous(m): 9:49am On Aug 11, 2014
Infomizer: It's there in the book nao. Genesis 11.4. These fellas didn't wanna be scattered. Iono how that spells rebellion o...
they want to stand on their own.? And wats rebellion. OPPOSITion TO AUTHORITY OR CONTROL. They don't even know y dey are formed, their purpose, but yet dey want to quickly be established. Dats d problem of most couples today, disobedience and desperation. Knowing fully well a mistake can cause dem a lot, even their lives.
And dey said dey don't wanna be scattered has God ever told dem he is gonna scatter dem? When dey wanna plan something outrageous, dey'll start lookin for flimsy excuses.
Re: Why Did God Destroy The Tower Of Babel?? by Weah96: 1:40pm On Aug 11, 2014
Donfamous: they want to stand on their own.?
And dey said dey don't wanna be scattered has God ever told dem he is gonna scatter dem?

God promised to do even more than scatter, he has his roasting pit, where he puts human beings forever. Scattering should have been the least of their concerns. But you must be very careful with the translation from ancient Hebrew to English. To this day, many Christians consider Mary a virgin, when the original text made no such claim. The translators substituted "young lady" with "virgin" and the Catholic church now rests on that mistranslation. I'm almost positive that the same thing is going on here.
Re: Why Did God Destroy The Tower Of Babel?? by Donfamous(m): 1:43pm On Aug 11, 2014
Weah96:

God promised to do even more than scatter, he has his roasting pit, where he puts human beings forever. Scattering should have been the least of their concerns. But you must be very careful with the translation from ancient Hebrew to English. To this day, many Christians consider Mary a virgin, when the original text made no such claim. The translators substituted "young lady" with "virgin" and the Catholic church now rests on that mistranslation. I'm almost positive that the same thing is going on here.
do u know what u are saying?
Re: Why Did God Destroy The Tower Of Babel?? by Weah96: 1:52pm On Aug 11, 2014
Donfamous: do u know what u are saying?

Do you know what I'm saying?
Re: Why Did God Destroy The Tower Of Babel?? by Donfamous(m): 2:23pm On Aug 11, 2014
Weah96:

Do you know what I'm saying?
where did u see scattering in d bible. (genesis to be precise)
Re: Why Did God Destroy The Tower Of Babel?? by Infomizer(m): 6:27am On Aug 12, 2014
Donfamous: they want to stand on their own.? And wats rebellion. OPPOSITion TO AUTHORITY OR CONTROL. They don't even know y dey are formed, their purpose, but yet dey want to quickly be established. Dats d problem of most couples today, disobedience and desperation. Knowing fully well a mistake can cause dem a lot, even their lives.
And dey said dey don't wanna be scattered has God ever told dem he is gonna scatter dem? When dey wanna plan something outrageous, dey'll start lookin for flimsy excuses.
I just gotta go with @weah96 on this. You so want it to mean rebellion, chief, and eventually, i'm still not feeling your argument for...

(1) (Reply)

The Day A Fake Seminarian Was Arrested At Ikpayongo,benue State / Scriptures Expounded: Abstain From All Appearance Of Evil - 1 Thessalonians 5:22 / Questions About Religious People And Their Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.