Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,124 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:41 PM

The Mystery Of The Tower Of Babel - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Mystery Of The Tower Of Babel (3629 Views)

The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread / The Tower Of Babel / If God Is Not The Author Of Confusion, What About The Tower Of Babel? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Mystery Of The Tower Of Babel by vikkeee(m): 3:18pm On Jan 03, 2016
Good afternoon nairalanders....
Today in church during the sermon, the pastor said something about the tower of babel and my mind began to work.
I was thinking, because according to the bible, the people were building a tower that would reach the heavens meaning God could be seen if anybody reached that so he caused confusion among them.
Today space science has made it possible for man to cross the sky(heavens). So how come our scientist have not seen God? Is it that the "heaven" that the tower of babel builders were planning to reach is different from our "heaven" today? Or did God change base?
Happy first sunday of the year!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Mystery Of The Tower Of Babel by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jan 03, 2016
When one begins to count the absurdities in the Bible, one is drawn to the conclusion that there is something wrong somewhere

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Mystery Of The Tower Of Babel by divinehand2003(m): 3:25pm On Jan 03, 2016
We shall come to perfect understanding in the fullness of time when all that has been said in time past is done.
Re: The Mystery Of The Tower Of Babel by johnydon22(m): 3:49pm On Jan 03, 2016
God felt threatened when men built a flimsy tower that is not even up to the sky scrappers we have now but went on Awol when man built space stations, probes and rockets...

One of those ridiculous stories people have been fed with to explain simple things..

By the way, the tower of babel known in history was a tower built in Babylonia in honour of their God Mardurk not some shabby one language got confused tale..

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Mystery Of The Tower Of Babel by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jan 03, 2016
A long time ago I pondered the tower of babel story and thought to myself, why are you glorifying jewish nonsense?

3 Likes

Re: The Mystery Of The Tower Of Babel by orunto27: 4:18pm On Jan 03, 2016
All of the above.God was almost living with Adam and Eve in the garden. The Tower of Babel showed humans as being in haste to topple God. He quickly got their plans and changed base.

1 Like

Re: The Mystery Of The Tower Of Babel by johnydon22(m): 4:31pm On Jan 03, 2016
Martian:
A long time ago I pondered the tower of babel story and thought to myself, why are you glorifying jewish nonsense?
[b] The Igbos have their myth on why babies don't talk..

"babies used to talk but due to the fact that they are not knowledgeable yet, they say anything they see like when a one eyed man visited they would say 'go away one eyed man'

Chukwu saw this and sort to solve it, He got a water yam. peeled off the bark and fed the babies with it blocking their speech temporarily, that is why when you open the mouth of babies you will see white substance on their tongue.."

You see just like the Igbos have these poetic eloquent myths meant to throw a light on their ideas of "how and why" things happen or are the way they are, there are naive but noble explanations and most times is used by these people to fill the gap left by their ignorance of what actually was the case...

This is exactly the way with the jews and most of the outrightly implausible stories in their book.

The sad part is that some people will come and swear by their balls that these Jewish myths are true and these people mostly will find the story i wrote up there to be absurd..

If the story of Perseus and his flying horse was in the bible, Christians would believe it. if the story of Jonah was not in the bible Christians would have been laughing at anybody who believed it..

The dishonesty in belief, it shows you the inconsistencies in other similar ridiculous myths others believe but blinds you to the inconsistencies and outright absurdities in yours..
[/b]

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Mystery Of The Tower Of Babel by vikkeee(m): 4:46pm On Jan 03, 2016
johnydon22:
[b] The Igbos have their myth on why babies don't talk..

"babies used to talk but due to the fact that they are not knowledgeable yet, they say anything they see like when a one eyed man visited they would say 'go away one eyed man'

Chukwu saw this and sort to solve it, He got a water yam. peeled off the bark and fed the babies with it blocking their speech temporarily, that is why when you open the mouth of babies you will see white substance on their tongue.."

You see just like the Igbos have these poetic eloquent myths meant to throw a light on their ideas of "how and why" things happen or are the way they are, there are naive but noble explanations and most times is used by these people to fill the gap left by their ignorance of what actually was the case...

This is exactly the way with the jews and most of the outrightly implausible stories in their book.

The sad part is that some people will come and swear by their balls that these Jewish myths are true and these people mostly will find the story i wrote up there to be absurd..

If the story of Perseus and his flying horse was in the bible, Christians would believe it. if the story of Jonah was not in the bible Christians would have been laughing at anybody who believed it..

The dishonesty in belief, it shows you the inconsistencies in other similar ridiculous myths others believe but blinds you to the inconsistencies and outright absurdities in yours..
[/b]
Do you believe in religion?
Re: The Mystery Of The Tower Of Babel by johnydon22(m): 4:49pm On Jan 03, 2016
vikkeee:

I thought it should be obvious i don't believe in God talk more of religion

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Mystery Of The Tower Of Babel by vikkeee(m): 4:55pm On Jan 03, 2016
johnydon22:
I thought it should be obvious i don't believe in God talk more of religion
Please educate me. What's your basis for not believing in God or religion?
Re: The Mystery Of The Tower Of Babel by vikkeee(m): 4:57pm On Jan 03, 2016
orunto27:
All of the above.God was almost living with Adam and Eve in the garden. The Tower of Babel showed humans as being in haste to topple God. He quickly got their plans and changed base.
Changed base to where
Re: The Mystery Of The Tower Of Babel by johnydon22(m): 5:24pm On Jan 03, 2016
vikkeee:

Please educate me. What's your basis for not believing in God or religion?
this thread is neither about my unbelief in God, but if you really wanted to know just hook up with the topics i have on my profile..

-Belief more so means uncertainty over a premise but acceptance or agreement none-the less.

So i lack that which it takes to hold on to uncertainty with a stoic conviction as truth..

Lets abandon the idea of belief and try to find things out..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Mystery Of The Tower Of Babel by orunto27: 5:26pm On Jan 03, 2016
The highest Spirit ever. He changed Heaven sphere to where no human can reach till they accept His Son as their Lord and Saviour.
Re: The Mystery Of The Tower Of Babel by HCpaul(m): 6:34pm On Jan 03, 2016
johnydon22:
God felt threatened when men built a flimsy tower that is not even up to the sky scrappers we have now but went on Awol when man built space stations, probes and rockets...

One of those ridiculous stories people have been fed with to explain simple things..

By the way, the tower of babel known in history was a tower built in Babylonia in honour of their God Mardurk not some shabby one language got confused tale..

Happy new year... Why didn't U come? I was expecting Yu.

You are wrong with what you posted but i will shift my abject opposition to another time.

Compliment once again.
Re: The Mystery Of The Tower Of Babel by johnydon22(m): 7:05pm On Jan 03, 2016
HCpaul:

Happy new year... Why didn't U come? I was expecting Yu.

You are wrong with what you posted but i will shift my abject opposition to another time.

Compliment once again.
I will be heading to abuja tomorrow
Re: The Mystery Of The Tower Of Babel by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jan 03, 2016
Hello to all,

I have repeatedly asserted in this forum that, religion and spirituality are not synonymous. They are not one and the same thing, and sometimes they are even mutually exclusive. One need not be affiliated to any religious mouvement, church, temple, denomination, to be spiritual.

God is a matter of personal discovery. Belief in (Holy) Books of all sorts such Bible, Korans, vedas, talmud, etc. are not required to come to the recognition of GOD. Each person should engage in his own quest for God, and be allowed to reach his own conclusions. Everyone is entitled to his opinion about God, and as for me, I respect whatever people genuinely believe, provided it does not harm others or they do not force it on others.

Nobody truly worships God until he has experienced him. This necessary experience is not tied to any particular belief system, but it is the fruit of a personal longing and quest for the divine. This quest usually starts with the rejection of all preconceived religious ideas about God. Thus, sometimes those we consider atheists, when honest, are in fact already on the path that may eventually lead them to the recognition of God.

Simply put, believing in the Bible or the Koran or any sacred teaching is different from having a relationship with God. As Gautama would put it:

"Believe nothing, O monks, merely because you have been told it or because it is traditional, or because you yourselves have imagined it. Do not believe what your teacher tells you merely out of respect for the teacher. But whatsoever, after due examination and analysis, you find to be conducive to the good, the benefit, the welfare of all beings that doctrine believe and cling to, and take it as your guide."

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Mystery Of The Tower Of Babel by virginboy1(m): 7:52pm On Jan 03, 2016
johnydon22:

By the way, the tower of babel known in history was a tower built in Babylonia in honour of their God Mardurk not some shabby oneO language got confused tale..
Oga Johnydon22, you study philosophy? Mehn this is just simple logic
Re: The Mystery Of The Tower Of Babel by johnydon22(m): 10:32am On Jan 05, 2016
HCpaul:
Hey bro, Am in Abuja now .. Mararaba to be precise.
Re: The Mystery Of The Tower Of Babel by ifenes(m): 12:14pm On Jan 05, 2016
I personally believe the Tower of Babel was a Portal which the humans had seen the gods pass through into our dimension,so they got intelligent enough to build one,then the gods destroyed it and made sure humans are not that intelligent by creating religion,monarchs,priests etc
Re: The Mystery Of The Tower Of Babel by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jan 05, 2016
ifenes:
I personally believe the Tower of Babel was a Portal which the humans had seen the gods pass through into our dimension,so they got intelligent enough to build one,then the gods destroyed it and made sure humans are not that intelligent by creating religion,monarchs,priests etc
You sef eh. Where you dey get your theories from?
Re: The Mystery Of The Tower Of Babel by ifenes(m): 4:20pm On Jan 05, 2016
timonski:

You sef eh. Where you dey get your theories from?

Reading and observations
Re: The Mystery Of The Tower Of Babel by CHARLOE(m): 4:49pm On Jan 05, 2016
[quote author=johnydon22 post=41615399][b] The Igbos have their myth on why babies don't talk..

[/b] [/quote
Gbam! So apt, cldnt have put it better, especially d past paragraph. But d drug called religion is very active in most pple

2 Likes

Re: The Mystery Of The Tower Of Babel by CHARLOE(m): 5:02pm On Jan 05, 2016
LoJ:
Hello to all,

I have repeatedly asserted in this forum that, religion and spirituality are not synonymous. They are not one and the same thing, and sometimes they are even mutually exclusive. One need not be affiliated to any religious mouvement, church, temple, denomination, to be spiritual.

God is a matter of personal discovery. Belief in (Holy) Books of all sorts such Bible, Korans, vedas, talmud, etc. are not required to come to the recognition of GOD. Each person should engage in his own quest for God, and be allowed to reach his own conclusions. Everyone is entitled to his opinion about God, and as for me, I respect whatever people genuinely believe, provided it does not harm others or they do not force it on others.

Nobody truly worships God until he has experienced him. This necessary experience is not tied to any particular belief system, but it is the fruit of a personal longing and quest for the divine. This quest usually starts with the rejection of all preconceived religious ideas about God. Thus, sometimes those we consider atheists, when honest, are in fact already on the path that may eventually lead them to the recognition of God.

Simply put, believing in the Bible or the Koran or any sacred teaching is different from having a relationship with God. As Gautama would put it:

"Believe nothing, O monks, merely because you have been told it or because it is traditional, or because you yourselves have imagined it. Do not believe what your teacher tells you merely out of respect for the teacher. But whatsoever, after due examination and analysis, you find to be conducive to the good, the benefit, the welfare of all beings that doctrine believe and cling to, and take it as your guide."

So succinct! time's I wish I cld meet guys like u offline to rub minds with. calling on all religous pple; xtians, Muslims etc plz read, especially d last paragraph. always wondered y xtians always rush n even apply subtle threats like 'u cld die dis nite n go to hell, imploring d listener to accept Jesus now, without proof, without understanding!

2 Likes

Re: The Mystery Of The Tower Of Babel by Emperor4God(m): 5:39pm On Jan 05, 2016
vikkeee:
Good afternoon nairalanders....
Today in church during the sermon, the pastor said something about the tower of babel and my mind began to work.
I was thinking, because according to the bible, the people were building a tower that would reach the heavens meaning God could be seen if anybody reached that so he caused confusion among them.
Today space science has made it possible for man to cross the sky(heavens). So how come our scientist have not seen God? Is it that the "heaven" that the tower of babel builders were planning to reach is different from our "heaven" today? Or did God change base?
Happy first sunday of the year!

I thought so too but when it says to reach the heavens, it meant very high.
So to the phrase "to reach the heavens" was meant literally

As there is noway they could build beyond a particular height due to lack of oxygen.

The EU building was modeled on the Tower of Babel

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/sociopolitica/sociopol_globalization41.htm
Re: The Mystery Of The Tower Of Babel by analice107: 7:59pm On Jan 05, 2016
SirWere:
When one begins to count the absurdities in the Bible, one is drawn to the conclusion that there is something wrong somewhere
Start counting.
Re: The Mystery Of The Tower Of Babel by analice107: 8:00pm On Jan 05, 2016
johnydon22:

You of all people shd know better than this.
Re: The Mystery Of The Tower Of Babel by analice107: 8:02pm On Jan 05, 2016
vikkeee:
Are you new in naira land?

1 Like

Re: The Mystery Of The Tower Of Babel by analice107: 8:17pm On Jan 05, 2016
No wonder you guys are atheists? How hard is it to understand that God is a spirit and does not live in the realm of the physical? How can humans build a house in the physical realm which will threaten God in the spiritual realm?
God doesn't live in this plane @Ops. your shallowness is legendary.
God didn't stop the building of Babel for any other reason than SELF GLORIFICATION. which you the atheists are doing great right now.
They said, 'let us build us a tower and make a name for ourselves. That was their undoing.

I hope you know that Nebuchadnezzar the great grandson of Nimrod made the same mistake and it cost him seven years of his life like an animal?

Johnnydon it's unfortunate that you claim not to believe in any God at all, but you try by all means to use other gods and their mythologies to discredit the Abrahamic God. Am beginning to see a partner even with you. I use to see you as an atheist, right now, am not so sure any more.

3 Likes

Re: The Mystery Of The Tower Of Babel by johnydon22(m): 9:53pm On Jan 05, 2016
analice107:
No wonder you guys are atheists? How hard is it to understand that God is a spirit and does not live in the realm of the physical? How can humans build a house in the physical realm which will threaten God in the spiritual realm?
God didn't stop the building of Babel for any other reason than SELF GLORIFICATION.

I wonder how you people say this with a straight face.. An omnipotent being clamoring for glory and relevance like his life depends on it..

You see anything that insecure as to engage tiny creatures as humans in such childish show just to GLORIFY HIMSELF to humans is not only insecure but has a childish egoism that is disturbing..

Wonder how you cannot find the sheer childishness in an alleged all powerful god who is a chronic Narcissist, has abject insecurity as to always seek for self glorification even to the extent of hitting it off with tiny creatures as humans..

Its like me going to destroy some sand sculptures built by children just to prove to them am stronger.. isn't that an incurable show of insecurity?

that even makes me more childish than they are..

Its so fascinating how you all sell God concepts so insecure and childish that it seeks glorification to dabble into such childish cases..

which you the atheists are doing great right now.
They said, 'let us build us a tower and make a name for ourselves. That was their undoing.

Yes and the alleged creator of the universe is dragging names and glory with mere humans that it gets jealous that they wanted to make a name for themselves..

Of what concern is such mundane activity to such a powerful being, how in the world did an omnipowerful being get so cheap and childish to be easily taunted or go on a glory seeking challenge with mere human beings that he allegedly created...

Pitiful..

I hope you know that Nebuchadnezzar the great grandson of Nimrod made the same mistake and it cost him seven years of his life like an animal?
Lmao.. there was never an event where the historical Nebuchadnezzar turned into an animal ..

Johnnydon it's unfortunate that you claim not to believe in any God at all, but you try by all means to use other gods and their mythologies to discredit the Abrahamic God.

Am so sure the topic was on Abrahamic God, so why should i used it as an avenue to attack other God concepts that has nothing to do with the concept?.

Open a thread on Brahma and watch me do to it exactly as i do to Yahweh...

Am beginning to see a partner even with you. I use to see you as an atheist, right now, am not so sure any more.

I honestly do not care what people's opinions are on my stance on Personal Gods.. Maybe your criteria for atheism is person who attacks other Gods but not Abrahamic Gods..

Seriously.. There is no award for people you regard to be atheist or not.. so your opinions bears no weight on who is an atheist or not..

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Mystery Of The Tower Of Babel by vikkeee(m): 10:42pm On Jan 05, 2016
analice107:
God didn't stop the building of Babel for any other reason than SELF GLORIFICATION. which you the atheists are doing great right now.

Johnnydon it's unfortunate that you claim not to believe in any God at all, but you try by all means to use other gods and their mythologies to discredit the Abrahamic God. Am beginning to see a partner even with you. I use to see you as an atheist, right now, am not so sure any more.
According to the bible, the tower of babel was not allowed to be completed because God did not want man to see him. Which one is self glorification again?

1 Like

Re: The Mystery Of The Tower Of Babel by analice107: 11:15pm On Jan 05, 2016
vikkeee:

According to the bible, the tower of babel was not allowed to be completed because God did not want man to see him. Which one is self glorification again?
Is that what the Bible said or you are reading your thoughts into the Bible? Do you even listen to yourself? A spirit living in the spirit realm is dragging space with humans in the physical realm. Hilarious.
Re: The Mystery Of The Tower Of Babel by chichriso: 11:17pm On Jan 05, 2016
Op please i want to correct an impression here, sky is different from heaven please!

No scientist have ever gotten to heaven, they only stop at the moon, please do your research very well and come back

(1) (2) (Reply)

7 Reasons Why The Noah’s Ark Story Is A Myth. / God Did Not Create The Universe / Nelson Mandela And The Mark Of The Beast

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.