Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,015 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:36 AM

Any Djangonaut Here??? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Any Djangonaut Here??? (2218 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Djangonaut Here??? by Ajibel(m): 6:11am On Aug 12, 2014
Pls any django prog. here, comment with a dot or anything I want to ask a question...

Dont be scared, my question isnt hard grin grin

THANKS smiley
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by Nobody: 9:54am On Aug 12, 2014
Ask your question o jare, though the greater population here is PHP, but i do know we have some django experts on this board, at least one that I am very sure of.
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by Ajibel(m): 11:44am On Aug 12, 2014
There is only a handful of django devs in Nigeria, and most are just into it of recent like me.

Well, I just wanted to ask if any expert here has created a django app that involved uploading images. Im really stucked here. Tried many solutions Ive been given buh it isnt working for the current django version that am using 1.5.3

Simply, images I upload from the admin interface arent displaying, just the "alt" that I provided.
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by tundebabzy: 4:25pm On Aug 13, 2014
The best way to solve your issue is to first say what exactly you tried and then error tracebacks if available. "Tried many solutions" isn't enough.

That said, you will get more helpful answers from stackoverflow and django-users on google groups very very quickly.

If you are still adamant on getting a solution from here, what exactly is your use case and what have you tried?

1 Like

Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by Ajibel(m): 3:48pm On Aug 14, 2014
Uhm. Ive just solved the problem early this morning. It had to do with my path configurations. I read this book someone suggested and finished the tutorial and applied their idea into mine and *in Django's voice* It worked! grin Forget SO, all the solutions there werent compatible with mine. There's a sort of gap that Django creates that is a trouble to beginners. Ive scaled the hurdle nau, I hope I dont get into another smiley

www.tangowithdjango.com
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by Nobody: 3:49pm On Aug 14, 2014
You will surely get another, it is the price to be paid for being new on a platform.
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by Ajibel(m): 3:49pm On Aug 14, 2014
@Tundebabzy, thanks anyway smiley
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by tundebabzy: 7:52pm On Aug 15, 2014
But seriously, there's nothing so ghen ghen about Django. Plus I'm 100% sure you will never find a framework with a better documentation.
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by Ajibel(m): 5:30pm On Aug 16, 2014
The doc isnt even the thing. There are no current tutorials to aid beginners in learning. The tutorial written by the developers isnt updated again. Thats bad. I have 5 solid django tutorials buh 4 out of it arent current. How would u nau not run into challenges when that's what is available. Well Ive just downloaded an uncountable numbr of open-source django apps to learn from the codes. Im done with tutorials angry

1 Like

Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Aug 16, 2014
^^^welcome to the world of geeks (i kinda do this all the time). When the code now works, I then study it and break it down to pieces.
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by tundebabzy: 8:51pm On Aug 16, 2014
Ajibel: The tutorial written by the developers isnt updated again
Are you talking of the __official__ django tutorials from djangoproject.com ?
AFAIK, there are tutorials for every version of django for which there is official documentation including the dev versions
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by Ajibel(m): 10:21pm On Aug 16, 2014
tundebabzy:
Are you talking of the __official__ django tutorials from djangoproject.com ?
AFAIK, there are tutorials for every version of django for which there is official documentation including the dev versions

There is djangobook, it is far behind, buh I think the one I mean is "The definitive guide to Django web development done right" and "Practical Django projects" written by the early Django developers.

Yes, there is a tutorial for each django version - the Polls app abi angry Bro, talk true, that tutorial no follow jaare. Check it, every django tutorial author always admit that the django lacks quality updated tutorials...
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by Ajibel(m): 10:23pm On Aug 16, 2014
dhtml18: ^^^welcome to the world of geeks (i kinda do this all the time). When the code now works, I then study it and break it down to pieces.

If I get what u mean, that is u just "plug them in" to your projects? I wanted to do that too buh a professional adviced me against it.
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by Nobody: 10:35pm On Aug 16, 2014
Ajibel:

If I get what u mean, that is u just "plug them in" to your projects? I wanted to do that too buh a professional adviced me against it.
Maybe the professional tried it and got jammed, well, different strokes for different folks.
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by DharkPoet(m): 8:30am On Aug 17, 2014
Chei, and I'm really getting to like python and had intentions of going into Django *sobs*
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by Nobody: 8:35am On Aug 17, 2014
DharkPoet: Chei, and I'm really getting to like python and had intentions of going into Django *sobs*
Dont mind this boy, he is just an alarmist. I have entered python silently, and moving steadily - but because am mastering node.js at the same time, my progress in python is somewhat slow.
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by Ajibel(m): 9:26pm On Aug 17, 2014
DharkPoet: Chei, and I'm really getting to like python and had intentions of going into Django *sobs*

*hands him a brown handkerchief to wipe tears**

Bro, go for it. You'd be lucky cuz when u get into a problem and ask a question here on NL, I would be able to respond. Im now well versed with the challenges beginners face. You wont face the problems I did. Ive learnt the hard way.
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by Ajibel(m): 9:31pm On Aug 17, 2014
dhtml18:
Maybe the professional tried it and got jammed, well, different strokes for different folks.

The pattern I took now is to study the codes, then gradually create mine. The problem with some django apps is that their developers have kinda made it difficult to modify without breaking other codes. You have to import ALL even if u dont really need it buh that's not to say u cant entirely buh it takes some time. Im currently doing a forum and ecommerce store to be included in a site and the best way to go is DIY
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by asalimpo(m): 9:47pm On Aug 17, 2014
From the look of it, it seems this django thng is bad business.
Documentation not insync with latest releases.
Poor design ,requiring needless imports.
Y not ditch it,roll ur own or find somethg a better replacement?
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by DharkPoet(m): 9:49pm On Aug 17, 2014
Ajibel:

*hands him a brown handkerchief to wipe tears**

Bro, go for it. You'd be lucky cuz when u get into a problem and ask a question here on NL, I would be able to respond. Im now well versed with the challenges beginners face. You wont face the problems I did. Ive learnt the hard way.

Going with Zed A Shaw, his Learn Python The Hard Way is really interesting.
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by Nobody: 10:43pm On Aug 17, 2014
The Hard Way Is The Only Way!
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by Ajibel(m): 10:31am On Aug 18, 2014
From the look of it, it seems this django thng is bad business.

Not that it is really bad oo. The django developers had their own philosophy of loose coupling i.e the logic (views), database (models) and the templates should be separate (decoupled from one another) not to mention static and media files. That said, they want to encourage code reusability. For instance, instead of writing a forum app from scratch, just import it if someone has created it. That means, you can have a fully flegded web app working without writing much codes.

The documentation is always in sync with the latest release, the problem is that the tutorials written by independent authors are not always in sync with the latest version. Some of the best django tutorials are already outdated. Django is in version 1.8, most tuts are in <= 1.4 Buh if u can understand django's official tutorial which I found shallow, u can understand any outdated django tutorial.

[b]Starting out for the first time is really a painful experience. You'd ask more questions than the number of lines of code you'd write buh when you're done with your first (deployed) django web app, it becomes easy. You know the steps already and wont face much obstacles...

My 2py cool
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by Ajibel(m): 10:38am On Aug 18, 2014
DharkPoet:

Going with Zed A Shaw, his Learn Python The Hard Way is really interesting.

I swear, the thing Hard oo then. That was the 2nd python tutorial that I studied... You'd want to download more sha. There are more beautiful tutorials out there from as little as a 3page tutorial to 1000+ page tutorial in Python.
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by DharkPoet(m): 3:56pm On Aug 18, 2014
Ajibel:

I swear, the thing Hard oo then. That was the 2nd python tutorial that I studied... You'd want to download more sha. There are more beautiful tutorials out there from as little as a 3page tutorial to 1000+ page tutorial in Python.

1000+ ahem!! If you still get other recommendation that could help, please help a brother out. Because failure to do so, ahem!! Make I stop there shaa.

I want to get Head First Python, how good is it?
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by DharkPoet(m): 3:59pm On Aug 18, 2014
dhtml18:
Dont mind this boy, he is just an alarmist. I have entered python silently, and moving steadily - but because am mastering node.js at the same time, my progress in python is somewhat slow.

Boss DHTML, I no be alarm clock oh, why you come dey call me alarmist? **sobs**
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by Nobody: 4:36pm On Aug 18, 2014
^^^Saw you trolling on my blog, you might be banned for trollin o.
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by tundebabzy: 4:53pm On Aug 18, 2014
Ajibel: From the look of it, it seems this django thng is bad business.

Not that it is really bad oo. The django developers had their own philosophy of loose coupling i.e the logic (views), database (models) and the templates should be separate (decoupled from one another) not to mention static and media files. That said, they want to encourage code reusability. For instance, instead of writing a forum app from scratch, just import it if someone has created it. That means, you can have a fully flegded web app working without writing much codes.

The documentation is always in sync with the latest release, the problem is that the tutorials written by independent authors are not always in sync with the latest version. Some of the best django tutorials are already outdated. Django is in version 1.8, most tuts are in <= 1.4 Buh if u can understand django's official tutorial which I found shallow, u can understand any outdated django tutorial.

[b]Starting out for the first time is really a painful experience. You'd ask more questions than the number of lines of code you'd write buh when you're done with your first (deployed) django web app, it becomes easy. You know the steps already and wont face much obstacles...

My 2py cool
+1

I repeat, ATM, you won't find any python framework with extensive documentation as that of django and its always in sync with the latest.

If you are a beginner, don't skip learning python first because Django is just python. Plus, Django has a huge, active and welcoming community so you can easily get unstuck. Just check the mailing list and see the daily activity.

I've seen discussions about flask but I don't gel with the philosophy behind it. For example, it touts itself as a micro framework but it has 2 dependencies. Anyway, that's a discussion for another thread.
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by Nobody: 4:59pm On Aug 18, 2014
Abeg make them move this thread to frontpage o jare.
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Aug 18, 2014
Quietly following.. Am having a hard time choosing btw django and web2py.. Facts am seeing here's making me a bit scared of Django.. @OP, What's yo opinion??
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by DharkPoet(m): 1:17am On Aug 19, 2014
dhtml18: ^^^Saw you trolling on my blog, you might be banned for trollin o.
Sorry for trolling oh, didn't know I had to sign up before commenting, when I saw it, I decided to register, that's one blog I need to follow up.

Sidenote: And,if you're a noob like me, irrespective of whatever programming lingua, you get to learn a thing or two from the blog!!
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by DharkPoet(m): 1:20am On Aug 19, 2014
Djangocode: Quietly following.. Am having a hard time choosing btw django and web2py.. Facts am seeing here's making me a bit scared of Django.. @OP, What's yo opinion??
Had this difficulty too, buh finally decided to go for Django, but what's the rush for? I nevet complete my Python learning process yet.
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by Nobody: 6:05am On Aug 19, 2014
DharkPoet:
Sorry for trolling oh, didn't know I had to sign up before commenting, when I saw it, I decided to register, that's one blog I need to follow up.

Sidenote: And,if you're a noob like me, irrespective of whatever programming lingua, you get to learn a thing or two from the blog!!
I was experimenting with the feature at that time, and have changed my mind. Let me leave it as it is. Thanks for speaking so highly of my small-boy blog.The blog shall increase in language coverage over time as I am quite vast, any thing I post on my blog has to be something I know and have tried to work - quality posts, and not just random posts or copy-copy stuffs. Like today now, I am going to talk about something related to node.js, mongoDb and their family - I have been too much on php stuffs.

(1) (2) (Reply)

PHP Code To Insert And Retrieve Images From Mysql Server / Q & A...challenges I Am Facing As A Startup Developer / Programming A Converter For *.wma To *.mp3 - By Sbucareer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.