Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,721 members, 7,824,049 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:18 PM

Any Djangonaut Here??? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Any Djangonaut Here??? (2219 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by Ajibel(m): 10:22am On Aug 19, 2014
DharkPoet:

1000+ ahem!! If you still get other recommendation that could help, please help a brother out. Because failure to do so, ahem!! Make I stop there shaa.

I want to get Head First Python, how good is it?

Lol Okay. When Ive got the time, I'd compress all my Python tutorials (more than 60 of them) and share it online so that anyone can download...

I have Head first python buh I havent studied it cuz it was for Python3k versions and Im using 2.7. I think it's good. All the Head first series have good reviews.
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by Ajibel(m): 10:27am On Aug 19, 2014
Djangocode: Quietly following.. Am having a hard time choosing btw django and web2py.. Facts am seeing here's making me a bit scared of Django.. @OP, What's yo opinion??

There is nothing to be scared of about django. The challenge I had was that I knew of no Nigerian djangonaut so had to rely on the whites who Im not always comfy with. Nau, you'd know some Nigerian djangonauts here so whenever you've started and then hit an unpythonic brickwall, u just have to come to NL and ask smiley
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by Ajibel(m): 10:34am On Aug 19, 2014
tundebabzy:
+1

I repeat, ATM, you won't find any python framework with extensive documentation as that of django and its always in sync with the latest.

If you are a beginner, don't skip learning python first because Django is just python. Plus, Django has a huge, active and welcoming community so you can easily get unstuck. Just check the mailing list and see the daily activity.

I've seen discussions about flask but I don't gel with the philosophy behind it. For example, it touts itself as a micro framework but it has 2 dependencies. Anyway, that's a discussion for another thread.

I'd agree with you. Django is the best amongst all and sincerely you dont need to spend a mth or 10,000hrs grin studying python before u grasp django.

I think I'd need to check out Flask. It's one of the popular python web framework I havent looked at. There are about 4 others Im familiar with.
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Aug 19, 2014
Ajibel:

There is nothing to be scared of about django. The challenge I had was that I knew of no Nigerian djangonaut so had to rely on the whites who Im not always comfy with. Nau, you'd know some Nigerian djangonauts here so whenever you've started and then hit an unpythonic brickwall, u just have to come to NL and ask smiley
So, how's the installation like if I want to run on localhost.. Do I need internet connection and command line ish?? Thanks for yo reply..
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by Ajibel(m): 7:35pm On Aug 19, 2014
Djangocode: So, how's the installation like if I want to run on localhost.. Do I need internet connection and command line ish?? Thanks for yo reply..

You'd need to download the django package and install and obviously you'd need internet for that. There are various ways, easier ways, buh when I installed mine, what I did was to download django from the site www.djangoproject.com/download/ and it'd be saved to a directory in your machine. Taking note of the directory, from my CLI, I 'cd' to the folder of my downloaded django package then ran "python setup.py install" which then installed django into my Python's site-packages dir.
Django comes with an inbuilt development server for testing your apps as u design. See it as a wampserver or easyphp.
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Aug 20, 2014
Ajibel:

You'd need to download the django package and install and obviously you'd need internet for that. There are various ways, easier ways, buh when I installed mine, what I did was to download django from the site www.djangoproject.com/download/ and it'd be saved to a directory in your machine. Taking note of the directory, from my CLI, I 'cd' to the folder of my downloaded django package then ran "python setup.py install" which then installed django into my Python's site-packages dir.
Django comes with an inbuilt development server for testing your apps as u design. See it as a wampserver or easyphp.
Thanks Brova.. I'll try it out..
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by Ajibel(m): 11:57am On Aug 24, 2014
Django 1.8 has solved the biggest problem with django which is database migration.
Ordinarily, u create a db model, run syncdb and populate it via the admin, you then realise u need to include a new field in the model. That's a dilemma cuz you'd have thought by just adding the new field and running syncdb, your new db would be updated. No way!
You'd have to use South!
Well, with v1.8, I can look forward to not relying on a 3rd party wharrever to ALTER my db. Buh currently v1.8 isnt stable, still in development.
Every djangonaut should migrate to 1.6 cheesy

*thinking out loud*
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by tundebabzy: 6:04pm On Mar 15, 2015
Sorry this is old school but in-built migrations came in Django 1.7.
I.8 has been able to decouple the templating system.
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by bb6xt(m): 7:39pm On Mar 16, 2015
Make I mark register.

I love Python and Django. I've been using Python since 2010. I use PHP/Yii2 in my day job but Python is my go-to language. For small apps and restful APIs I prefer flask though.
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by Ajibel(m): 7:09pm On Mar 17, 2015
tundebabzy:
Sorry this is old school but in-built migrations came in Django 1.7.
I.8 has been able to decouple the templating system.

I am still going on with 1.6 I realize porting a 1.6 app to 1.7 is not a yeye something... Most of my projects were written in version 1.6 so the next that I'll work on will be with 1.8 but I just hate their rapid changes in Django... It's too tasking to keep up with
Re: Any Djangonaut Here??? by Ajibel(m): 7:09pm On Mar 17, 2015
bb6xt:
Make I mark register.

I love Python and Django. I've been using Python since 2010. I use PHP/Yii2 in my day job but Python is my go-to language. For small apps and restful APIs I prefer flask though.

Have you used Django for a public site?

(1) (2) (Reply)

PHP Code To Insert And Retrieve Images From Mysql Server / Q & A...challenges I Am Facing As A Startup Developer / What Are The Best Countries To Apply For Remote Jobs As A Nigerian?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.