Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,304 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:35 AM

Diary Of My Poultry Farm - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Diary Of My Poultry Farm (1080 Views)

Can You Invest In My Poultry Farm? / Please I Will Like To Start A Poultry Farm In Lagos and want to / How Do I Get Battery Cage For My Poultry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Diary Of My Poultry Farm by myads890(m): 5:35pm On Aug 12, 2014
My name is Onassis Hahn and this is my online pultry farm diary. I have always wanted to go into poultry business but due to lack of capital and other issues, I've finally decided to start with the little I have. I hope that anyone that comes across this will be able to use the ideas I will be jotting down here to start up their own poultry business irrespective of their initial capital or lack thereof. .

The dream: I want to own the largest farm in Africa. Not just poultry but everything from chickens to cows, pigs, turkeys, snails, crocodiles, grass cutters, rabbits, snakes, goats, ostriches, tomatoes, curry leaf, yams, pepper, bitter kola, scent leaf, cassava, mangoes, oranges and whatever else you can think of in either their raw state, preserved, processed for exportation or local sale.

But alas, I live in Nigeria and banks are not known for giving out loans to starting entrepreneurs plus I don't have rich parents or family relatives to help out. What will I do?

START WITH WHAT I HAVE!

What do I have? Well, at the moment I'm the CEO of The Nimini Store. We currently sell virgin human hairs and deliver nationwide. I also started this business the way I'm about to start my farm.

MY INITIAL CAPITAL? N3,000. Small, right? Yeah. Someone once said, start small but think big. smiley

What have I bought?

6 agric chickens(6 weeks old) @ N250 each. Total=N1500
Feed= N500
1 40 leaves notebook(for keeping account)
1 pack on tetracyclin= N50(Due to change of environment you'll need to mix 1 capsule in their water, just pull it apart and drop the contents in their water, for 5 days)

For the cage, I bought 1 saw=N500, nails=N50, zinc(for the roof)=N500, tape rule=N100. I already have a hammer and the rest of the materials like wood etc I pick around my neighbourhood. You'll be surprised how useful some trash can be.

I and my wife built the cage today and the chickens are now happy in their new home grin

1 Like

Re: Diary Of My Poultry Farm by tobbyte(m): 5:43pm On Aug 12, 2014
Good write up...nd superb courage
Re: Diary Of My Poultry Farm by myads890(m): 5:57pm On Aug 12, 2014
tobbyte: Good write up...nd superb courage

Thanks. I've finally realised that success can never be realised over night. It takes one positive, consistent step one day at a time. I hope other people will be able to learn and emulate from this. This is probably going to take 3-5 years before the dream is achieved. I just hope someone will be able to learn and profit from my experience.

smiley
Re: Diary Of My Poultry Farm by pickabeau1: 5:58pm On Aug 12, 2014
Welldone....
following
Re: Diary Of My Poultry Farm by ogb5(m): 7:15pm On Aug 12, 2014
What is actually your dream? They say start small and dream big, how small should you really go?

From your write up you have a wife, I will advice you to get a job and earn some money before venturing into business. And please start your poultry business with something substantial, not 6 chicken.

Get a loan from friends and relatives if necessary. Continue on this 6 chick farm if you are actually sure of what you are doing. One can start with 6 chicks if It is an experimental setup to learn the basics of poultry farming with a view and available resources to go big after the experiment.
Re: Diary Of My Poultry Farm by otunbakolawole(m): 11:48pm On Aug 12, 2014
@ OP, am impressed by your actions. You have taken a step and I pray your dream comes true. Meanwhile, I will like to encourage you a little further in my little way, drop your email, I will get across.

Keep d flag flying.
Re: Diary Of My Poultry Farm by myads890(m): 9:49am On Aug 13, 2014
Like I mentioned in the write up, I'm the CEO of The Nimini Store and we deal in human hair. I earn enough to sustain myself and my family. The main purpose for starting this thread is to teach youngsters how to start with whatever they have. I started The Nimini Stores with 2k and today its registered under CAC and we have clients nationwide plus we make enough and there is still much more we WILL achieve.

By the way, N500 is enough to start. The point is to start.

I'm glad I have one critic

ogb5: What is actually your dream? They say start small and dream big, how small should you really go?

From your write up you have a wife, I will advice you to get a job and earn some money before venturing into business. And please start your poultry business with something substantial, not 6 chicken.

Get a loan from friends and relatives if necessary. Continue on this 6 chick farm if you are actually sure of what you are doing. One can start with 6 chicks if It is an experimental setup to learn the basics of poultry farming with a view and available resources to go big after the experiment.
Re: Diary Of My Poultry Farm by ogb5(m): 9:48pm On Aug 13, 2014
I do not see myself as a critic, rather I am a realist.
Millions of people in Nigeria are under employed engaging in activities day in day out that is unable to sustain them.

Nothing wrong in starting small, but please have a defined goal and a workable formula for achieving the goal.

Google started small from the garage of their house, today it is among the largest IT companies not by luck but because they invented a search method that was a workable way of making money.

Many great businesses started small but they all had a vision of what they want to achieve and a plan of achieving the vision.
Re: Diary Of My Poultry Farm by myads890(m): 8:37am On Aug 14, 2014
I'm also a realist and I agree totally with what you have said but you have to realise that there are lots of people who are unable to create second streams of income or invest just because they feel they don't have enough. The main purpose of this thread is to encourage people to start with whatever they have. That first push, be it N500 ot whatever, is enough to set the ball rolling.

I have a formula and it will be revealed over time. And I've already stated the dream. Not to worry, I've done this before

ogb5: I do not see myself as a critic, rather I am a realist.
Millions of people in Nigeria are under employed engaging in activities day in day out that is unable to sustain them.

Nothing wrong in starting small, but please have a defined goal and a workable formula for achieving the goal.

Google started small from the garage of their house, today it is among the largest IT companies not by luck but because they invented a search method that was a workable way of making money.

Many great businesses started small but they all had a vision of what they want to achieve and a plan of achieving the vision.

(1) (Reply)

Stop Wasting Your Money On Petrol Convert Ur Gasoline Generator To Propane Gen. / Where To Get Baby Diapers At Wholesale Price / Promo! Promo!! Promo!!! Buy Sage 50 Premium Accounting Software 2015 U.S Edition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.