Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,727 members, 7,824,060 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:36 PM

“why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria” – Wife Reveals - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / “why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria” – Wife Reveals (3814 Views)

Photos: See the people that travelled all the way from Chile to worship Fela / Ex-wife Reveals Shocking Details About Fela, Says I Want The World To Know The T / Chief Justice Of Nigeria's Wife Killed By A Falling Mango Tree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

“why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria” – Wife Reveals by bintexhimself: 6:57am On Aug 14, 2014
The widow of late Patrick Sawyer, the Liberian who brought Ebola into Nigeria, has defended her husband’s decision to travel to Africa’s most populous country, saying he did so in desperate search for a country with better healthcare system than his own country.

In an article published earlier today, TMZ Liberia Magazine quoted Decontee Sawyer, who is a radio host in New York, as explaining that Mr. Sawyer had no trust in the healthcare system in Liberia and had possibly headed to Nigeria with the hope of receiving better treatment for his ailment.
Mrs. Sawyer shared her thoughts on her Facebook profile from which TMZ Liberia sourced it for publication.

“I’ve read other reports in other papers (not the New York Times) about Patrick’s “recklessness.” I get where they’re coming from, and they certainly have the right to feel the way they do. However, as Patrick’s widow, I would like to shed some light on this from another perspective. One that only I, his wife, would know,” she wrote.

“I knew Patrick better than anybody else (including himself). He had told me many times in the past how much he didn’t trust the Liberian healthcare system. He would tell me about how a person would get checked in for one thing, and get misdiagnosed and get the wrong treatment as a result. On top of that, Patrick was a clean freak, and told me how filthy a lot of the hospitals were.

“He didn’t tell me this, but I know in my heart of hearts that Patrick was determined to get to Nigeria by all means because he felt that Nigeria would be a place of refuge. He has expressed to me many times in the past that he felt passionately about helping to be a part of strengthening Liberia’s healthcare system, but he knew it wasn’t there yet, and he wouldn’t want to take a chance with his life because a lot of people depended on him… Patrick had a passion for life, and he wouldn’t have wanted his to end. So, I bet anything that he was thinking, if I could only get to Nigeria, a way more developed country than Liberia, I would be able to get some help. How ironic.”

Many Nigerians, and even Liberians, condemned Mr Sawyer for traveling to Nigeria despite knowing that he was carrying Ebola virus before embarking on the trip. Some Nigerians on social media have described him as a “biological terrorist” arguing that he came into the country deliberately to spread the disease.

On Monday in Abuja, President Goodluck Jonathan described Mr Sawyer’s decision to travel to Nigeria as pure “madness” and “craziness.”

“Sawyer that brought this Ebola to Nigeria; his sister died of Ebola. And he started acting somehow, his country asked him not to leave the country, let them observe him, but the crazy man decided to leave and found his way here,” President Jonathan said.

In her post, Mrs. Sawyer wrote that the fact that her husband avoided contact with others at the James Sprigg Payne’s Airport in Monrovia as revealed by airport CCTV footage proved he didn’t set out to infect others with the disease and perhaps his actions were that of a dying man in desperate search for help.
Read more@...>>>http://www.premiumgist.com/why-patrick-sawyer-travelled-to-nigeria-wife-reveals/

1 Like

Re: “why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria” – Wife Reveals by Lucasbalo(m): 7:03am On Aug 14, 2014
bintexhimself: The widow of late Patrick Sawyer, the Liberian who brought Ebola into Nigeria, has defended her husband’s decision to travel to Africa’s most populous country, saying he did so in desperate search for a country with better healthcare system than his own country.

In an article published earlier today, TMZ Liberia Magazine quoted Decontee Sawyer, who is a radio host in New York, as explaining that Mr. Sawyer had no trust in the healthcare system in Liberia and had possibly headed to Nigeria with the hope of receiving better treatment for his ailment.
Mrs. Sawyer shared her thoughts on her Facebook profile from which TMZ Liberia sourced it for publication.

“I’ve read other reports in other papers (not the New York Times) about Patrick’s “recklessness.” I get where they’re coming from, and they certainly have the right to feel the way they do. However, as Patrick’s widow, I would like to shed some light on this from another perspective. One that only I, his wife, would know,” she wrote.

“I knew Patrick better than anybody else (including himself). He had told me many times in the past how much he didn’t trust the Liberian healthcare system. He would tell me about how a person would get checked in for one thing, and get misdiagnosed and get the wrong treatment as a result. On top of that, Patrick was a clean freak, and told me how filthy a lot of the hospitals were.

“He didn’t tell me this, but I know in my heart of hearts that Patrick was determined to get to Nigeria by all means because he felt that Nigeria would be a place of refuge. He has expressed to me many times in the past that he felt passionately about helping to be a part of strengthening Liberia’s healthcare system, but he knew it wasn’t there yet, and he wouldn’t want to take a chance with his life because a lot of people depended on him… Patrick had a passion for life, and he wouldn’t have wanted his to end. So, I bet anything that he was thinking, if I could only get to Nigeria, a way more developed country than Liberia, I would be able to get some help. How ironic.”

Many Nigerians, and even Liberians, condemned Mr Sawyer for traveling to Nigeria despite knowing that he was carrying Ebola virus before embarking on the trip. Some Nigerians on social media have described him as a “biological terrorist” arguing that he came into the country deliberately to spread the disease.

On Monday in Abuja, President Goodluck Jonathan described Mr Sawyer’s decision to travel to Nigeria as pure “madness” and “craziness.”

“Sawyer that brought this Ebola to Nigeria; his sister died of Ebola. And he started acting somehow, his country asked him not to leave the country, let them observe him, but the crazy man decided to leave and found his way here,” President Jonathan said.

In her post, Mrs. Sawyer wrote that the fact that her husband avoided contact with others at the James Sprigg Payne’s Airport in Monrovia as revealed by airport CCTV footage proved he didn’t set out to infect others with the disease and perhaps his actions were that of a dying man in desperate search for help.
Read more@...>>>http://www.premiumgist.com/why-patrick-sawyer-travelled-to-nigeria-wife-reveals/
Patrick Sawyer's wife is full of crap. Her husband was a dual Liberian/American citizen and he should have gone to America for better treatment than Nigeria .

9 Likes

Re: “why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria” – Wife Reveals by Ezedon(m): 7:03am On Aug 14, 2014
That is a planned deal
Re: “why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria” – Wife Reveals by Nobody: 7:05am On Aug 14, 2014
Revelation received. Buh she shud at least sympathise with us 4 what her husband has caused unintentionally. People dey baf more than necessary, som r eatin kola more than d elders, som r soakin themselves in salt and pepper (OMG) while ebola is spreading. Defending her husband is normal as d wife, buh dats somewhat unimportant nw.

6 Likes

Re: “why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria” – Wife Reveals by NaijaChild: 7:06am On Aug 14, 2014
We never help ourselves finish..na to help others!..what kind of stupid help was he expecting to get frm Nigeria..why didn't he go to the USA?

2 Likes

Re: “why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria” – Wife Reveals by Nobody: 7:10am On Aug 14, 2014
He should have gone to south Africa or India .... Nigeria wasn't even well equipped for such a virus... Well, Sawyer's death in Nigeria was definitely an eye opener for us.... it brought about full public awareness......

1 Like

Re: “why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria” – Wife Reveals by ukpaku: 8:50am On Aug 14, 2014
ndiara
Re: “why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria” – Wife Reveals by Dreyl(m): 10:24am On Aug 14, 2014
Oyenberibe angry
Re: “why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria” – Wife Reveals by Missonas(f): 10:44am On Aug 14, 2014
She should've just hushed it
Re: “why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria” – Wife Reveals by Goke7: 11:02am On Aug 14, 2014
tell that to the birds Mrs sawyer, for the first time I agreed with the President that someone is a very mad man! we are now embarrassed all over the world because of this madness. This is a country we spent money on to bring out of war and see what we've got in return.

Pure rubbish!

1 Like

Re: “why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria” – Wife Reveals by folu4real(f): 11:22am On Aug 14, 2014
Your husband thought Nigeria has a good health care, he is totally wrong. Our corrupt leadears never invested on a good health care facility. Why on earth Nigeria why didn't he go to USA that has good healthcare facilities.

1 Like

Re: “why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria” – Wife Reveals by Nobody: 11:32am On Aug 14, 2014
**Idontbelievedisstory** he no see USA or anyoda country, y Nigeria?
Re: “why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria” – Wife Reveals by wordsplay(m): 12:05pm On Aug 14, 2014
inform any graduate or student you know to go online and register here http://tan.org.ng/onestar/register.php?id=100208 .If successfully selected, the government will be paying them N30,000 monthly for 1year. Companies, organizations and institutions can also register and interns will be sent to them, while government pays the interns N30,000. Please spread the news: See it as an Income/Job opportunity.let's give it a try by registering
Transformation Ambassadors of Nigeria | One Star Ambassador
tan.org.ng
Re: “why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria” – Wife Reveals by ACM10: 12:34pm On Aug 14, 2014
Absolute nonsense!
This is a typical example of defending the indefensible. Can Mrs Sawyer explain. . .some rather acts of recklessness like. . .

1. Handling his sister's dead body without personal protective clothing and fleeing Liberia when he should be quarantined.

2. Lying to Drs and nurses at First Consultant hospital Lagos on the true nature of his ailment.

3. Deliberate attempts to mislead doctors by suggesting malaria.

4. Yanking off his intravenous catheter and deliberately exposing health workers to the virus.

5. Bizarre behaviours like peeing on the nurses.

6. Insisting on leaving the health facility when he was told that he has Ebola, which will expose other Nigerians to the danger.

The fact remains that I don't buy into Mrs Sawyer's defense. Her husband acted recklessly.

6 Likes

Re: “why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria” – Wife Reveals by SlyIg(f): 12:49pm On Aug 14, 2014
Haven't the Liberians heard that the Nigerian doctors are on strike?
Which hospital was he coming in to...

Make i no talk sef.

1 Like

Re: “why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria” – Wife Reveals by Silensa(m): 2:28pm On Aug 14, 2014
Lucasbalo: Patrick Sawyer's wife is full of crap. Her husband was a dual Liberian/American citizen and he should have gone to America for better treatment than Nigeria .

Must you quote everything just for this crap?

2 Likes

Re: “why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria” – Wife Reveals by candidbabe(f): 3:24pm On Aug 14, 2014
Lucasbalo: Patrick Sawyer's wife is full of crap. Her husband was a dual Liberian/American citizen and he should have gone to America for better treatment than Nigeria .
Re: “why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria” – Wife Reveals by Diamonddamsel: 3:41pm On Aug 14, 2014
Imagine instead of her to just keep quite.When he went to the hospital why didnt he declare that it could be Ebola.The man is wicked.
Re: “why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria” – Wife Reveals by Nobody: 3:47pm On Aug 14, 2014
Nigeria best health care system what ever happened to India and the rest of the world?if it was technology he had to share he would think of Japan or china, if it was money Switzerland would be his first contact but now it's sickness and why the was hell Nigeria on his mind..?
Re: “why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria” – Wife Reveals by Airforce1(m): 4:01pm On Aug 14, 2014
undecided
Re: “why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria” – Wife Reveals by axortedbabe(f): 4:16pm On Aug 14, 2014
is she a member of APC

1 Like

Re: “why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria” – Wife Reveals by faithzy(m): 4:27pm On Aug 14, 2014
am just not happy with his actions...becos his actions...has taken more dan a life.
Re: “why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria” – Wife Reveals by OCTAVO: 5:05pm On Aug 14, 2014
Rubbish!!!
Re: “why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria” – Wife Reveals by Mariojane(f): 6:08pm On Aug 14, 2014
folu4real: Your husband thought Nigeria has a good health care, he is totally wrong. Our corrupt leadears never invested on a good health care facility. Why on earth Nigeria why didn't he go to USA that has good healthcare facilities.
wht is dis one saying? Must u always put blames on ur leaders. U nigerians re d main reason why d country is not developed cos u don't even apprecaite d little u hv. Wht re ur contributions so far to d development of the country?with the little health care d country has people recover when they visit the hospitals?do all Nigerians travel abroad for treatments?how will d country develop with people like U in it. If it were to be 12th century people like u will be hanged for saying such nonsense against ur country. RUBBISH.

Back to d topic, if truly he came to Nigeria for medical attention, why did he not tell them immediately he landed dat he was having d virus nd why did he urinate on them all when they told him he was a carrier? Maybe US send him to Nigeria cos I don't trust dat country

1 Like

Re: “why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria” – Wife Reveals by Folksyharry(m): 7:30pm On Aug 14, 2014
This reason is not good enough to put millions in danger. why did he not let the airport authorities know so that he can be isolated in the plane.
Re: “why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria” – Wife Reveals by Dolemite(f): 9:17pm On Aug 14, 2014
Better healthcare system and he came to primitive Nigeria? joke!! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: “why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria” – Wife Reveals by lilkingluchev(m): 9:49pm On Aug 14, 2014
yh that's true why coming to Nigeria ?? ..that means he knows something like this might happen so he want America to be safe and Nigeria to be at high risk!!

1 Like

Re: “why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria” – Wife Reveals by robinicule(m): 11:40pm On Aug 14, 2014
he sits at d right side of devil in hell
Re: “why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria” – Wife Reveals by folu4real(f): 11:31am On Aug 15, 2014
Wht is dis one saying? Must u always put blames on ur leaders. U nigerians re d main reason why d country is not developed cos u don't even apprecaite d little u hv. Wht re ur contributions so far to d development of the country?with the little health care d country has people recover when they visit the hospitals?do all Nigerians travel abroad for treatments?how will d country develop with people like U in it. If it were to be 12th century people like u will be hanged for saying such nonsense against ur country. RUBBISH.

Who told u 2 quote me. I can see u are among d corrupt politician. One day a good leader without corruptible mind will wipe out corrupt leaders. Check urself b4 throwing insult on other people.
Re: “why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria” – Wife Reveals by MRL1MPoPoTM: 11:57am On Aug 15, 2014
nothing would ever justify his visit to nigeria. Mr. sawyer is a devil in human clothing.
Re: “why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria” – Wife Reveals by Mariojane(f): 9:41pm On Aug 15, 2014
folu4real:

Who told u 2 quote me. I can see u are among d corrupt politician. One day a good leader without corruptible mind will wipe out corrupt leaders. Check urself b4 throwing insult on other people.
O.D.E OMO
Re: “why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria” – Wife Reveals by folu4real(f): 9:56am On Aug 18, 2014
O.D.E OMO

Silence is the best answer for a fool

(1) (Reply)

NA JJ OKOCHA WIFE DEY SERVE ME NOW OHHHH.. CHARLES AWURUM / Photo: Check Out Another N@KED Photo From Blac Chyna's Magazine Shoot / Actress Angela Okorie Shares A Sexy Photos With A Seducing Ass

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.