Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,450 members, 7,819,662 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:08 PM

How Can One Distinguish A Nigerian? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Can One Distinguish A Nigerian? (950 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can One Distinguish A Nigerian? by Nobody: 2:30pm On Aug 14, 2014
Fellow Nairalanders when you come across a Ghanaian, South African, Malian, Kenyan etc it needs no introduction to tell who the person is, especially by what they wear.

From their dressing you can tell immediately that this is this but can one say that about Nigerians?

can Nigerians be seen as Nigerians by their dressing, language, traditions etc without associating it to any tribe like Hausa, igbo or Yoruba?

your opinion please.
Re: How Can One Distinguish A Nigerian? by Fulaman198(m): 5:21pm On Aug 14, 2014
sunnyshayne: Fellow Nairalanders when you come across a Ghanaian, South African, Malian, Kenyan etc it needs no introduction to tell who the person is, especially by what they wear.

From their dressing you can tell immediately that this is this but can one say that about Nigerians?

can Nigerians be seen as Nigerians by their dressing, language, traditions etc without associating it to any tribe like Hausa, igbo or Yoruba?

your opinion please.

No, it's hard sometimes on how others will see you as a Nigerian. Nigerians could easily pass for other West African nations due to the fact that Nigeria has over 250 ethnic groups. However, it is easy to differentiate a Nigerian from a South African and a Nigerian from a Kenyan due to far different regions.

West African cultures are quite similar.

2 Likes

Re: How Can One Distinguish A Nigerian? by anonymous6(f): 5:42pm On Aug 14, 2014
Fulaman198:
No, it's hard sometimes on how others will see you as a Nigerian. Nigerians could easily pass for other West African nations due to the fact that Nigeria has over 250 ethnic groups. However, it is easy to differentiate a Nigerian from a South African and a Nigerian from a Kenyan due to far different regions.

I agree but I feel west african countries that are anglophone are hard to distinguish amongst each other to a extent but a anglophone west african country vs. francophone west african country most of the times you can distinguish, this is based on my experience though. I have noticed francophone west african countries have a slurr with their accent at times and anglophone west african countries don't.
Re: How Can One Distinguish A Nigerian? by Fulaman198(m): 8:25pm On Aug 14, 2014
anonymous6:

I agree but I feel west african countries that are anglophone are hard to distinguish amongst each other to a extent but a anglophone west african country vs. francophone west african country most of the times you can distinguish, this is based on my experience though. I have noticed francophone west african countries have a slurr with their accent at times and anglophone west african countries don't.

I think that is more of a regional thing. I've spoken to Fulani in Cameroon and Niger, and the accent is the same as Fulani in Nigeria.
Re: How Can One Distinguish A Nigerian? by Nobody: 8:53pm On Aug 14, 2014
anonymous6:

You are very on point, my concern has been can't we develop a national tradition or custom that can stand us out? The answer stares right back cos it will then turn to which tradition to adopt among the various tribes in Nigeria.
Re: How Can One Distinguish A Nigerian? by Fulaman198(m): 9:23pm On Aug 14, 2014
sunnyshayne:

You are very on point, my concern has been can't we develop a national tradition or custom that can stand us out? The answer stares right back cos it will then turn to which tradition to adopt among the various tribes in Nigeria.

She is on point to a certain extent when she is referring to urbanised Africans. What about African ethnic groups that are not fully urbanised and only speak African languages? They will share a similar accent to those in other Francophone/anglophone countries because they have not been exposed to Euro languages.
Re: How Can One Distinguish A Nigerian? by Nobody: 9:38pm On Aug 14, 2014
Fulaman198:

She is on point to a certain extent when she is referring to urbanised Africans. What about African ethnic groups that are not fully urbanised and only speak African languages? They will share a similar accent to those in other Francophone/anglophone countries because they have not been exposed to Euro languages.

I read a post not quite long on endangered languages and it kept me worried as well. This lack of unique distinction is big time problem. For instance I met a Niger guy in cotonou speaking Hausa, until I came close hear how he pronounces certain words I thought he was a Nigerian. What If i don't understand Hausa would I have known he is not Nigerian?

it goes back to my worry of how can one identify a Nigerian just like a ghanian without attaching his tribe to the description?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can One Distinguish A Nigerian? by Fulaman198(m): 10:31pm On Aug 14, 2014
sunnyshayne:

I read a post not quite long on endangered languages and it kept me worried as well. This lack of unique distinction is big time problem. For instance I met a Niger guy in cotonou speaking Hausa, until I came close hear how he pronounces certain words I thought he was a Nigerian. What If i don't understand Hausa would I have known he is not Nigerian?

it goes back to my worry of how can one identify a Nigerian just like a ghanian without attaching his tribe to the description?

Excellent question

With Africans that don't speak European languages there is still a thing called regional dialects. Since he is Republic of Benin he is more than likely speaking the Sokoto dialect of Hausa (Sokotowashi). You would not be able to differentiate a Nigerian from a nearby area from him. It's the same thing with Fulani people. Those who live in Adamawa Cameroon speak just like Adamawa Nigeria. So you really won't know where they are from until they tell you. A Sokoto Hausa man speaks Hausa differently from a Kano Hausa man. That is due to different regional African languages having some mild influences on those African languages.

Again, that's a fantastic question. You can not really identify a Nigerian, simple as that. Until you ask the person themselves where they are from.
Re: How Can One Distinguish A Nigerian? by Nobody: 10:40pm On Aug 14, 2014
Fulaman198:

Excellent question

With Africans that don't speak European languages there is still a thing called regional dialects. Since he is Republic of Benin he is more than likely speaking the Sokoto dialect of Hausa (Sokotowashi). You would not be able to differentiate a Nigerian from a nearby area from him. It's the same thing with Fulani people. Those who live in Adamawa Cameroon speak just like Adamawa Nigeria. So you really won't know where they are from until they tell you. A Sokoto Hausa man speaks Hausa differently from a Kano Hausa man. That is due to different regional African languages having some mild influences on those African languages.

Again, that's a fantastic question. You can not really identify a Nigerian, simple as that. Until you ask the person themselves where they are from.

I thought they said historians will soon be out of circulation but you have just proved that a touch of history broadens the mind. If people knew what you seems to know about yourself, the world would have been better of.

1 Like

Re: How Can One Distinguish A Nigerian? by Fulaman198(m): 10:59pm On Aug 14, 2014
sunnyshayne:

I thought they said historians will soon be out of circulation but you have just proved that a touch of history broadens the mind. If people knew what you seems to know about yourself, the world would have been better of.

As you are also aware my friend I'm sure it's the same with the Yoruba who don't have much contact with the English or French language. Take for example, there are a considerable amount of Yoruba natives in the Rep. of Benin. Those who live in the village and speak pure Yoruba are probably no different from Nigerian Yoruba who are not urbanised that speak pure Yoruba without English influence.
Re: How Can One Distinguish A Nigerian? by macof(m): 12:59am On Aug 15, 2014
Fulaman198:

250 ethnic groups shocked under wat records?? Who are the 250??
You probably mean 250 tribes,cus it's impossible for one nation to 250 ethnic groups?? that's already enough to make a continent grin
Re: How Can One Distinguish A Nigerian? by Fulaman198(m): 1:00am On Aug 15, 2014
macof:

250 ethnic groups shocked under wat records?? Who are the 250??
You probably mean 250 tribes,cus it's impossible for one nation to 250 ethnic groups?? that's already enough to make a continent grin

Most of the 250 ethnic groups reside in the North and there are quite a lot. There are not that many however in the South.
Re: How Can One Distinguish A Nigerian? by macof(m): 1:06am On Aug 15, 2014
There's nothing to use to identity a Nigerian because there's no identity as "Nigerian"

As a wise man ones said "The only true identity of an African is his tribe or ethnicity"

I as a Yoruba man have more in common with a Beninese Anago than a Kanuri from Bornu, Nigeria

1 Like

Re: How Can One Distinguish A Nigerian? by macof(m): 1:09am On Aug 15, 2014
Fulaman198:

Most of the 250 ethnic groups reside in the North and there are quite a lot. There are not that many however in the South.

North? Same North where the Hausa language and identity is the general order
If wat u say is true then these "ethnic groups" are rather too small, below influential and almost irrelevant
Re: How Can One Distinguish A Nigerian? by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 2:08am On Aug 15, 2014
Fulaman198:

He is right 250 tribes not ethnic groups
Re: How Can One Distinguish A Nigerian? by Fulaman198(m): 4:30pm On Aug 15, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES:

He is right 250 tribes not ethnic groups

I think someone once posted 510 tribes in Nigeria
Re: How Can One Distinguish A Nigerian? by macof(m): 4:07pm On Aug 16, 2014
Fulaman198:

I think someone once posted 510 tribes in Nigeria

Nawa o...I think we need to organize ourselves and think this thing through to come up with an accurate figure

1 Like

Re: How Can One Distinguish A Nigerian? by Fulaman198(m): 4:57pm On Aug 16, 2014
macof:

Nawa o...I think we need to organize ourselves and think this thing through to come up with an accurate figure

I agree

(1) (Reply)

A Look At The Life Of Albert Einsten / Why Is It Difficult To Get The Actual Meaning Of Yoruba Names? / Tallest Statue In Nigeria Unveiled At Ife And Named After Moremi.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.