Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,732 members, 7,817,014 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:00 PM

Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com (18007 Views)

New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com / The Igbos Of Bonny- Igbodefender.com / Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 1:38pm On Aug 20, 2014
Fool
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:40pm On Aug 20, 2014
onitshaigbo: Igbos have nothing to do with Bantus. We are of Middle-Eastern extraction.

Thanx for opening my eyes to the Truth. Now I see it.

by the way, are you sure this is not your Grandfather

1 Like

Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 1:42pm On Aug 20, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

Thanx for opening my eyes to the Truth. Now I see it.

by the way, are you sure this is not your Grandfather

cheesy grin I know this dude lmfao

On a video his fellow saud were calling him a monkey
An extremist by the way
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by macof(m): 3:08pm On Aug 20, 2014
onitshaigbo:

Ignoramus! Ethiopian Jews were saved from persecution and famine by Israel, who transported them free of charge from the abject misery of the Horn of Africa to a first-world modern country Israel, giving them shelter, education, healthcare, and economic opportunities without asking for anything in return. There was never a more compassionate response by a first-world people to a third-world people than the people of Israel to their Jewish brethren in Ethiopia.

We Igbos too will become blessed beyond our wildest dreams when we proudly display our Jewish identity and live as Jews according to the laws of the Bible.

grin grin bigfrancis would love this guy

1 Like

Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:22pm On Aug 20, 2014
macof:

grin grin bigfrancis21 would love this guy
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:22pm On Aug 20, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES:
cheesy grin I know this dude lmfao

On a video his fellow saud were calling him a monkey
An extremist by the way

Haha what video is that?
I just posted it randomly.
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 4:26pm On Aug 20, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

Haha what video is that?
I just posted it randomly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1VDPMPFTb8

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by Ihuomadinihu: 8:48am On Aug 23, 2014
Radoillo: Eastern Nigeria in this context is the part of the old Eastern Region closest to Cameroun. Home of the Ibibio/Efik/Annang, the Ekoid groups and other groups in that area who still speak Bantu-related languages.

The Igbo are not proto-Bantu.
Is n't Igbo part of the old Eastern region again?
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by Nobody: 9:54am On Aug 23, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:
Is n't Igbo part of the old Eastern region again?

Did I say it wasn't? I said that in the context of Bantu origins, Eastern Nigeria refers to THAT PART of the old Eastern Region.....Ibibio, Ekoi etc.

Was any part of what I said ambiguous?
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by Ihuomadinihu: 10:43am On Aug 24, 2014
Radoillo:

Did I say it wasn't? I said that in the context of Bantu origins, Eastern Nigeria refers to THAT PART of the old Eastern Region.....Ibibio, Ekoi etc.

Was any part of what I said ambiguous?
Well, Igbo was missing in your mentions. Nevertheless,these groups can be treated as proto-bantu people.
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by Nobody: 3:21pm On Aug 25, 2014
Radoillo:
Igbos and other Eastern people like the Ibibios and Ijaws have done so many great things in the past. For instance, Opobo = Igbo + Ijaw; Aro = Igbo+ Ibibio/Efik. So, why cant Igbos be the Proto-Bantus? Are they not in Eastern Nigeria?
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by macof(m): 1:19pm On Aug 26, 2014
igbodefender:
Igbos and other Eastern people like the Ibibios and Ijaws have done so many great things in the past. For instance, Opobo = Igbo + Ijaw; Aro = Igbo+ Ibibio/Efik. So, why cant Igbos be the Proto-Bantus? Are they not in Eastern Nigeria?

It's just a pity that there's no common term for the ibibio, efik, ekoi etc. which are all sister tribes

The use of eastern Nigeria and southwestern Cameroon is all that is used to describe their geography.

Don't confuse Eastern Nigeria as Igboland

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by Nobody: 3:00pm On Aug 26, 2014
There is no linguistic that hints the Bantu language is Bantu, if that was the case then Igbo's would be labeled "Semi-Bantu", which is not the case.
The Igbo language is not even under Benue language which is ancestral to all Bantu languages.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by Nobody: 3:09pm On Aug 26, 2014
onitshaigbo:

Igbos are not just some Middle Eastern people, but specifically the Jewish people. Our physiology has changed due to centuries of living in the jungles of Southeastern Nigeria, just like the Jews of Europe changed to look more like Europeans.

No one can deny our lineage as the chosen people of God, and our inheritance to the Land of Israel, Eretz Yisrael.

If that were the case then DNA studies on the Igbo would indicate that. Especially on their Autosomal/Y-DNA side. Instead we have Igbo being genetically no different then from other southern Nigerians like the Yoruba. All genetic studies have clustered Igbo's closely to Yoruba. Sorry to rain on your parade but its true.

And your comparison with Jews in Europe isn't good enough, because genetic studies also tell us that European Jews like the Ashkenzai's are not the original Jews but just European converts.
http://www.livescience.com/40247-ashkenazi-jews-have-european-genes.html

One can make a better case of Ethiopians and Northern Sudanese being descendants of Jews than Igbo's, Europeans and African Americans.
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by Nobody: 3:14pm On Aug 26, 2014
onitshaigbo: Igbos have nothing to do with Bantus. We are of Middle-Eastern extraction.

If you guys are a Middle Eastern EXTRACTION, then why doesn't Igbo men carry any signature Middle Eastern lineages like J? Instead Igbo's like other West African men carry e1b1a in high frequencies. Doesn't add up. E1b1a in the Middle East is very insignificant.
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by Nobody: 4:01pm On Aug 26, 2014
Some people have no interest in studying their oral tradition. They have no interest in the archaeology and historical linguistics of their people. They refuse to read the works of professional historians and anthropologists on their people.

They insist rather on reading the histories of other people, deliberately mis-understanding what they read, distorting facts and trying to graft their people into other people's history.

They see 'Igbo' in Ife oral tradition, and promptly conclude the aborigines of Ife were ethnically Igbo. They see 'Eri' in the Bible and conclude the early Igbos were Hebrews. They see 'The Eastern Nigerian/Western Camerounian border' referred as the Bantu Homeland and quickly conclude the Bantus branched off from the Igbo.

How can Igbos be proto-Bantu (and the source of the Bantu nations) when the traditions of most of the Igbo groups living closest to people speaking Bantu-related languages (Igbo groups like the Izi, the Ezza, the Ikwo, the Afikpo...all the way down to Arochukwu) readily admit that the Igbo are relatively late comers in that area, who either drove off, absorbed or encircled the 'Bantoid' and Bantu-related groups who PRECEDED them in that area (i.e., the Cross River Basin)?

When are you (especially the folks running this Igbodefender thing) going to stop obsessing over other people's history and actually study yours? Yes, material on early Igbo history are scarce, but any dedicated scholar can find them. I found them. I'm still finding more.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by Nobody: 4:41pm On Aug 26, 2014
Radoillo: Some people have no interest in studying their oral tradition. They have no interest in the archaeology and historical linguistics of their people. They refuse to read the works of professional historians and anthropologists on their people.

They insist rather on reading the histories of other people, deliberately mis-understanding what they read, distorting facts and trying to graft their people into other people's history.

They see 'Igbo' in Ife oral tradition, and promptly conclude the aborigines of Ife were ethnically Igbo. They see 'Eri' in the Bible and conclude the early Igbos were Hebrews. They see 'The Eastern Nigerian/Western Camerounian border' referred as the Bantu Homeland and quickly conclude the Bantus branched off from the Igbo.

How can Igbos be proto-Bantu (and the source of the Bantu nations) when the traditions of most of the Igbo groups living closest to people speaking Bantu-related languages (Igbo groups like the Izi, the Ezza, the Ikwo, the Afikpo...all the way down to Arochukwu) readily admit that the Igbo are relatively late comers in that area, who either drove off, absorbed or encircled the 'Bantoid' and Bantu-related groups who PRECEDED them in that area (i.e., the Cross River Basin)?

When are you (especially the folks running this Igbodefender thing) going to stop obsessing over other people's history and actually study yours? Yes, material on early Igbo history are scarce, but any dedicated scholar can find them. I found them. I'm still finding more.

Not only that but LANGUAGE does not indicate Igbo's are Bantu. And remember "Bantu" is just a language group.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by Nobody: 4:49pm On Aug 26, 2014
KidStranglehold:

Not only that but LANGUAGE does not indicate Igbo's are Bantu. And remember "Bantu" is just a language group.

Yea, true that.
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by Ihuomadinihu: 7:52pm On Aug 26, 2014
Radoillo: Some people have no interest in studying their oral tradition. They have no interest in the archaeology and historical linguistics of their people. They refuse to read the works of professional historians and anthropologists on their people.

You seem to have a better info on this issue. So what's the origin of igbo pple?
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by Nobody: 10:52pm On Aug 26, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:
You seem to have a better info on this issue. So what's the origin of igbo pple?

This post is about whether Igbos are 'proto-Bantu or not. The issue of Igbo origin is a different question all together.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by ChinenyeN(m): 12:43am On Aug 27, 2014

I always feel satisfied seeing well put together, well thought out and truth-resounding posts such as this. I endorse this entire post from top to bottom, especially the last paragraph. It is by far my favorite.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 12:47am On Aug 27, 2014
Bantu is a race

Denying it is like saying German is only a language but not a group of people

Or igbo is not an ethnic group but a language?

Igbo are Bantu at least a lot among them have Bantu ancestry
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by ChinenyeN(m): 12:54am On Aug 27, 2014
Ihuomadinihu: You seem to have a better info on this issue. So what's the origin of igbo pple?

That topic deserves its own dedicated thread. Or even, it's own book. We can title it, "An Ethno-Historic Sketch of The Igbo: From Time Immemorial to the 20th Century", and it will not fear revisions as new, ethnographic and anthropological evidence emerges.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by Nobody: 3:03am On Aug 27, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES: Bantu is a race

Bantu IS NOT a race. There is no proof of Bantu being a race or Igbo language being Bantu or part Bantu. "Bantu" is a recent 19/20th century term. The reason why Bantu is a language is because of one word, "the people".

Igbo(and Germans) IS an ethnic group where as Bantu is just a term to group together people who speak a common language. Again its not a race nor is it technically an ethnic group. Even if you want to say Bantu is a "race", studies show that Igbo's don't cluster with Bantu "speakers", so Igbo's can't have Bantu ancestry. And I believe Radoillo even stated Igbo's recently migrated into Eastern Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by pleep(m): 4:48am On Aug 27, 2014
Long time guys =D

1 Like

Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by pleep(m): 4:51am On Aug 27, 2014
KidStranglehold:

Bantu IS NOT a race. There is no proof of Bantu being a race or Igbo language being Bantu or part Bantu. "Bantu" is a recent 19/20th century term. The reason why Bantu is a language is because of one word, "the people".

Igbo(and Germans) IS an ethnic group where as Bantu is just a term to group together people who speak a common language. Again its not a race nor is it technically an ethnic group. Even if you want to say Bantu is a "race", studies show that Igbo's don't cluster with Bantu "speakers", so Igbo's can't have Bantu ancestry. And I believe Radoillo even stated Igbo's recently migrated into Eastern Nigeria.

Language and race are like the same thing, excluding examples of colonization or conquest. language travels by blood and so anthropologists mainly use language to determine which groups came from where etc.
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by Nobody: 5:02am On Aug 27, 2014
pleep:

Language and race are like the same thing, excluding examples of colonization or conquest. language travels by blood and so anthropologists mainly use language to determine which groups came from where etc.
If that's the case then Igbo's are definitely not Bantu because the linguistic shows Igbo language being distant from Bantu.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by Nobody: 5:04am On Aug 27, 2014
pleep: Long time guys =D

Yeah its been a while. smiley

Take came back to see watsup. This site seems dead though. I mostly been on the site named theColi. Should check it out. Alotta nonsense on there. Mad funny. grin

Miss posters like Royal, Kails, Cameroonpride, PapaAfrica and others. I still see Onila and Fulaman posting on here.
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by ChinenyeN(m): 5:47am On Aug 27, 2014
The only thing language definitively shows is interaction. It can only truly tell you the extent to which two or more groups have interacted. Admittedly, it's a good marker for discerning relationships, but you cannot cite language as conclusive on matters of race and origin. Other factors take precedence.
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by Nobody: 6:28am On Aug 27, 2014
ChinenyeN:

That topic deserves its own dedicated thread. Or even, it's own book. We can title it, "An Ethno-Historic Sketch of The Igbo: From Time Immemorial to the 20th Century", and it will not fear revisions as new, ethnographic and anthropological evidence emerges.

Indeed. It needs a thread of it's own.
Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by Nobody: 6:45am On Aug 27, 2014
KidStranglehold:
And I believe Radoillo even stated Igbo's recently migrated into Eastern Nigeria.

Actually (to clarify) Igbos have probably been in Eastern Nigeria for a long long time. I was only speaking of the Eastern frontier of Igboland close to Bantu-related groups on the border with Cameroon. It appears (from oral tradition, at least) that the Igbo-speaking groups (or at least the ones mentioned in my earlier post) made their appearance there in relatively recent times (the Common Era), taking land from Bantu-related peoples and pushing them farther east or absorbing them.

Bantu migrations from that area began some 3000 years ago. And that was before the Igbo groups mentioned reached their present frontiers with Bantu-related groups.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com by Nobody: 7:00am On Aug 27, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES: Bantu is a race

Saying Bantu is a race is like saying the Romance-speaking people (Italian, Spanish, French, etc) are a race.

And Igbos are not Bantu. It is even highly doubtful that they mixed to a significant extent with Bantu. They have no borders with Bantu people.
Note that in my posts I keep using 'Bantu-related'. This is because the Ibibio, the Ekoi who are our neighbours to the east are not actually Bantu but only speak languages related to Bantu, being in the same language family (East Benue-Congo) with the Bantu languages.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

What Has The Black Race Contributed To The World? / Some Social Rules That May Help You / Ooni Ogunwusi At The Library Of Congress In Washington D.C. - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.