Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,687 members, 7,820,393 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:09 PM

Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want (56283 Views)

A Nigerian With Three First Class degrees / 5 Degrees Employers Don't Want / Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Nobody: 9:13pm On Aug 15, 2014
Hmmmm.....Make i go drink beer
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by horbasholar: 9:13pm On Aug 15, 2014
pls wat kind of job opportunities are available for graduate of library and information science(B.sc)
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Adolfhitler(m): 9:22pm On Aug 15, 2014
"TeamHistory". For those who don't know, history has different branches unlike the medical courses. It could be archeaology, economic, political or diplomatic history. It all depends on your area of specialization. As for me, i am very proud to be a diplomatic historian, and currently into an MIA degree in int'l affairs at the graduate institute Geneva. Believe me, multinationals don't joke with history graduates here. I wonder why it should be on this list.

3 Likes

Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by kilokeys(m): 9:23pm On Aug 15, 2014
reverse is d case in naija.. History with connectz -(100%) works in d bank and top firms
Engineering with no connectz (0%) - claims to be self-employed, branding shirts or playiny guitar all over town ( like me)

. i find free work (intern without pay) tire i no still see..
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by temmytanny(m): 9:33pm On Aug 15, 2014
Idrismusty97: - Project Management
- Horticulture
- Transport Management Technology
- Water Resources
- Philosophy
- Latin

They are all beautiful courses. But employers would rather go for someone with a degree in Civil engineering than most of those courses. They are great when you have it at masters level.

i guess those dont pay much in naija but in US,the top 4 you mentioned at worth atleast $40k a year. www.onetonline.org for detail .Project management in US is worth over $90k a year.

1 Like

Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by jamesbridget13(f): 9:35pm On Aug 15, 2014
bankyblue: if this should make the front page then i will leave NL
this is on fp now so bros how far? By d way, y do peeps keep dragging abt courses dat re relevant or not. Pls acquire education in any field u dim fit, no one shld deceive anyone. With God anyone can make it to d utmost top.
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by afinic001(m): 9:36pm On Aug 15, 2014
flicker:
Thinking of interactive and mind blowing interactionsHookups , BBM Pins of both top CEO and ladies in nigeria on your bbm? Do you want cool and classy peeps on ur bbm??This Is The Right Spot for That , Now search for this channel link http://pin.bbm.com/C00499B0A (BBM pin Train Naija)

How to join :
1. You must have a BBM installed on your phone.
2. Copy and paste this link on your BBM channel link :http://pin.bbm.com/C00499B0A (BBM pin Train Naija)" and click search
3. Click join and have fun !!!
Note: Strictly for Ladies looking for a rela
tionship, hookup, Married, fun , date ,connections and friends Only in Nigeria.

Remember to share or spread the Good News don't be stingy.

clownish post
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Nobody: 9:37pm On Aug 15, 2014
People make the mistake of blaming lack of job on the course studied. Taa! Na wash! Job no dey Naija. Finish! Call a spade 'a spade'
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by jamesbridget13(f): 9:39pm On Aug 15, 2014
kilokeys: reverse is d case in naija.. History with connectz -(100%) works in d bank and top firms
Engineering with no connectz (0%) - claims to be self-employed, branding shirts or playiny guitar all over town ( like me)

. i find free work (intern without pay) tire i no still see..
my dear, i tire ooo. For this 21st century pple re still talkin abt course. In d recent rivers state teachers recruitment, come n see engineers, they re all in d class room now. Person still dey yarn non sense

1 Like

Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by canalily(m): 9:42pm On Aug 15, 2014
....thinking wether to study ebology now....

Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by tylesh(f): 10:08pm On Aug 15, 2014
Remove Economics from the list jor
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Shamoo100(m): 10:13pm On Aug 15, 2014
- Horticulture
- Water Resources
- Philosophy
- Latin

They are all beautiful courses. But employers would rather go for someone with a degree in Civil engineering than most of those courses. They are great when you have it at masters level.
by most of those u Mean Water resources..am sorry to dissapoint you
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by eunisam: 10:14pm On Aug 15, 2014
Liarrt and false
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by heilige(m): 10:14pm On Aug 15, 2014
Zoology is the best course to study in nigeria. You might get a job in the presidency.
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Vado(m): 10:18pm On Aug 15, 2014
orekelewa9: I should start crying because I read history and international studies abi. this is the umpteenth time I am seeing this.... Nairaland discouraging peeps from doing what they love.

No b una dey employ us.

Don't mind them jor. I can feel our pain.
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by NaLaugh: 10:26pm On Aug 15, 2014
bankyblue: if this should make the front page then i will leave NL

Hope say u don pack ya load
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by hollermie: 10:28pm On Aug 15, 2014
The location of this study isn't based in Nigeria therefore it doesn't really count and perhaps having your first degree is the end to another beginning - just like the basic requirement in the labour market
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Dymaco(m): 10:38pm On Aug 15, 2014
hardbody:

If you have a second class upper degree in any of those courses and succesfully write and pass entry qualification exams into Banks, O&G companies, Consultancy firms, FMCGs, etc, you can aspire to become a Managing Director some day, irrespective of the degree acquired. The best MDs in Banks never studied Banking and Finance, egg heads in Consultancy firms did not all study Management related courses. A first degree gives all graduates a general view of functional literacy and education, what you become thereafter is subject to what you make of the next set of opportunities that come your way.

Meanwhile, for those who do not quite get it, Economics is one of the most versatile courses there could ever be. It opens up an endless vista into a world of opportunities. For the avoidance of doubt, I did not study Economics or even the behavioural sciences but i know from experience that it is a wonderful course to study (in Nigeria at least).
If u re a bank manager, some one who did banking as course nd some one who did libray science as a course came for interview with the same grade. Both of them passed who will u chosr first.
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by jeroskee: 10:51pm On Aug 15, 2014
An economist can work anywhere...even as an accountant!
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by piagetskinner(m): 10:57pm On Aug 15, 2014
Abegi all this one na story...who go get job go get*na naija we dey
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Donkaz(m): 11:10pm On Aug 15, 2014
blakky97:
Exactly!
My cousin is in Mobil. I won't say what she studies because she's a true-blue Nairalander and chances are that she will know its me referring to her.
i know someone who read igbo in school, but his working in a bank now
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by Okudiover(m): 11:11pm On Aug 15, 2014
grin grin grin grin Igbo Language.
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by ALKARULEZ615(m): 11:19pm On Aug 15, 2014
SECURE YOUR FUTURE!!!

Marry an ECONOMIST 2day...
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by rezzy: 11:27pm On Aug 15, 2014
jdilight:

When you have gone for civil engineering for five good years and jamb continue to frustrate your effort. Library science maybe the best option grin

Are u trying to yab library science, what of nur/pry education?

1 Like

Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by rezzy: 11:34pm On Aug 15, 2014
horbasholar: pls wat kind of job opportunities are available for graduate of library and information science(B.sc)

work in a library or be a lecturer , finish.

But u can read information technology @master level ooo with that u have more opportunities
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by guruvick(m): 11:53pm On Aug 15, 2014
- Horticulture
- Water Resources
- Philosophy
- Latin

lolz! you must be from Fut minna ....

1 Like

Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by ideology(m): 12:12am On Aug 16, 2014
jdilight:

When you have gone for civil engineering for five good years and jamb continue to frustrate your effort. Library science maybe the best option grin

Library science is better than some courses like forestry and wildlife etc

1 Like

Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by ideology(m): 12:20am On Aug 16, 2014
casket: I know a lady who studied English edu in University and works with Etisalat...
I wonder how this post make the front page...it is attention seeking post though and it has gotten it .

That she works there is not because of English.
Don't misunderstand op
English education should be an English teacher, thats op's point
Re: Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want by hardbody: 1:07am On Aug 16, 2014
Dymaco:
If u re a bank manager, some one who did banking as course nd some one who did libray science as a course came for interview with the same grade. Both of them passed who will u chosr first.

very simple, I will choose whoever impresses me more on questions based on skills set. They are both freshers and know next to nothing about banking operations. The library scientist might show signs of ability to learn functional banking faster and he gets the job. Sir, I worked in the bank before moving to one if the largest Telcos so I am not guessing, I have the experience having been there. What you do as hands on is different from what you studied except in specialized fields such as medicine, engineering and law. In these professions, the rudiments of the course place you differently from others. A BSc bis Admin guy is better suited for that banking job than a banking and finance graduate.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

OAU Sex For Marks: What Monica Osagie Told Panel – Counsel / Eluemunor Richard Okasia Dies In Russia After Rescuing A Drowning Lady (Photos) / World's History: Some Ignored Warnings That Were Tragically Deadly.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.