Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,827 members, 7,810,177 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:31 PM

Marikana Commission- Families And Loved One Came To Express Their Grief - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Marikana Commission- Families And Loved One Came To Express Their Grief (635 Views)

Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One / Some Causes Of Problems In Families And Possible Solutions / Most Painful Death Of A Loved One You Had (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Marikana Commission- Families And Loved One Came To Express Their Grief by Niftyrules(m): 3:17pm On Aug 15, 2014
The collective pain was overwhelming
at the Marikana Commission on
Wednesday, two years after the
killings, the relatives of the victims
took the floor and spoke of good men,
justice, and finding a substitute for the unique. They spoke of men with names,
faces and families, what they left
behind, what can’t be replaced.

By NICOLSON.

“I am Andile Yawa, Cebesile Yawa's father . I live in the Eastern Cape. My son was killed in the Marikana tragedy. He was very respectful and humble and he took care of his family very well. He liked sports a lot and he was liked in the village.” Yawa held his fist against his face, had a sip of water. “I was forced to stop working due to my ill health. Therefore, my son took over my job in
the mine. He went to Marikana in 2007.

As far as I know Cebesile rented a shack in the informal settlement Karee. He phoned us regularly, probably three times a week. He would come back home to the Eastern Cape twice a year, during the Easter and Christmas holidays to visit us. Cebesile took over my responsibilities. He was our only breadwinner.” Yawa was one of the relatives of the 44 people killed in Marikana in the week to 16
August 2012 who spoke at the Commission on Wednesday. Family members of police officers, security guards and mineworkers all spoke, united in their lasting grief, demanding justice, and struggling to provide for their families. Good men, lost. “Cebesile
phoned me on Wednesday 15 August 2012. During the conversation, he informed me that workers were on strike
because of a wage dispute. He told me that he and other fellow workers from other shafts were at the koppie. They had invited the employer to come and listen to their grievance and their demand for a wage increase,” said Yawa, dressed in a grey checked coat and yellow polo shirt. The relatives spoke of their last phone calls.

The calls that didn’t go through. On a screen were the pictures of the deceased. Thobisile Zibambele even told his wife Nokuthula his bank details, as though he knew what wasgoing to happen. Many relatives wanted their husbands to come home. They’d seen the reports. But it was a strike for rights, a strike to earn something decent for their hard work that could provide for their dependents. Good men, police security, mineworkers, all were taking care of their families. Yawa’s son took care of his child
four brothers, a sister and parents. “We
observed that my son had a bullet wound in his abdomen and other wounds on his left shoulder. We went to the koppie and shack to collect his spirit.
See more: www.niftyrules.
Re: Marikana Commission- Families And Loved One Came To Express Their Grief by KanwuliaJara: 3:23pm On Aug 15, 2014
A "GOD" of SACRIFICES and his MERCIES that endured for ever!!!!!
AMEN. cry
Re: Marikana Commission- Families And Loved One Came To Express Their Grief by Niftyrules(m): 3:35pm On Aug 15, 2014
KanwuliaJara: A "GOD" of SACRIFICES and his MERCIES that endured for ever!!!!!
AMEN. cry

Its really serious my brother, you've got to see emotions of families and relations displayed to the public like wares meant for sale.

(1) (Reply)

To God Be The Glory Its 9 Years Today That I Almost Lost My Life........ / It Is Necessary To Stalk Your Kids On Facebook? / Gobe!father Christmas Was Arrested For Defiling 5year-old Pupil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.