Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,826 members, 7,820,907 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:50 AM

IBM Simon: World’s First ‘smartphone’ Celebrates 20 Years - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / IBM Simon: World’s First ‘smartphone’ Celebrates 20 Years (723 Views)

Finally, LG G4 Becomes First Smartphone To Get Android 6.0 Update / Meet The Grandfather Of Your Phone:First Smartphone To Run On Android OS / Meet The World's First Smartphone With Two 1080p Displays: Gionee W900(Flip) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

IBM Simon: World’s First ‘smartphone’ Celebrates 20 Years by baseg25(m): 4:49pm On Aug 15, 2014

IBM Simon Personal Communicator was the forerunner of the modern smartphone
Never judge a phone by its cover. This chunky, black box was in fact the world's first 'smartphone'

The IBM Simon went on sale to the public on 16 August 1994 and combined mobile phone technology with a wide range of computing features.

To mark the 20th anniversary, London's Science Museum is putting it on display in its new Information Age gallery.

"The Simon wasn't called a smartphone back then," said curator Charlotte Connelly.

"But it had a lot of the features we see today. It had a calendar, it could take notes and send emails and messages and combined all of this with a cell phone."

Weighing in at 500g (1.1lb), the Simon was not exactly pocket-sized. However, Ms Connelly insisted the design was ahead of its time.

"It looks like a grey block but it's not as big as you'd imagine," she said. "It had a stylus and a green LCD screen, which is similar in size to the iPhone 4. In fact, it's not a bad looking thing."

Price tag

The device was particularly popular with members of the business community, who craved a transportable phone that doubled up as a mini-computer.

However, a hefty price tag and limited battery life contributed to its eventual disappearance from the market around two years after its launch.

"It only had an hour's battery, it was $899 and there was no mobile internet at the time. So it wasn't very successful," said Ms Connelly.

The IBM smartphone will be displayed in a section of the gallery called The Cell

The Simon will go on display this October as part of the Information Age exhibition - the first permanent gallery in the UK dedicated to the history of communication and information technology.

More than 800 objects are on display at the event, which aims to illustrate how far communication has come since the 1980s.

Ms Connelly said the exhibition also acts as a reminder of a different era, free from constant connectivity.

"It does remind us of that time. I definitely enjoy getting away from things and deliberately disconnecting myself," she said. "There's something quite nice about that."
What do you think about this and can you use or have you used phone like this before?.
Visit the Source latest tech news, review and guide: http://techcribng.com/ibm-simon-worlds-first-smartphone-celebrates-20-years/
Re: IBM Simon: World’s First ‘smartphone’ Celebrates 20 Years by Nobody: 5:27pm On Aug 15, 2014
A senior broda to 3310
Re: IBM Simon: World’s First ‘smartphone’ Celebrates 20 Years by baseg25(m): 6:06pm On Aug 15, 2014
That phone too worworh..
I hope it make the frontpage, i want to knw what my fellow nl user will say about this.
Re: IBM Simon: World’s First ‘smartphone’ Celebrates 20 Years by Warlord3000(m): 6:18pm On Aug 15, 2014
Smartphone indeed..

Chai... Man pikin don suffer...lol

Thank goodness am in this present era..

And I envy those in the future era in advance wink

1 Like

Re: IBM Simon: World’s First ‘smartphone’ Celebrates 20 Years by baseg25(m): 6:42pm On Aug 15, 2014
Warlord3000: Smartphone indeed..

Chai... Man pikin don suffer...lol

Thank goodness am in this present era..

And I envy those in the future era in advance wink
u are ryt o, cant just stop laughing.
Re: IBM Simon: World’s First ‘smartphone’ Celebrates 20 Years by baseg25(m): 5:56am On Aug 16, 2014
Re: IBM Simon: World’s First ‘smartphone’ Celebrates 20 Years by seguntheblogger: 10:10am On Aug 16, 2014
Hmm
Re: IBM Simon: World’s First ‘smartphone’ Celebrates 20 Years by baseg25(m): 12:24pm On Aug 16, 2014
It is a pity that no one it is commenting on it.
I hope it make the Fp because i wantt to knw my fellow Nlander view on it

(1) (Reply)

Data Sim Registration / How Do I Change Picture On My Music Album Am Using Tecno A3 / Nexus 6 Will Cost $649 (N107279.70) - Nexus 5 Becomes The ''cheap'' Nexus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.