Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,197 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:32 AM

Why You Should Never Ever Sell Your Pet. I Feel Like Crying - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Why You Should Never Ever Sell Your Pet. I Feel Like Crying (1951 Views)

Snap and upload your pet here [season 1] / Snap And Upload Your Pet's Picture Here. Its That Simple / Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Should Never Ever Sell Your Pet. I Feel Like Crying by mitchyy(f): 4:54am On Aug 16, 2014
Hey guys,

Remember I put up my pet Elmo for sale here about two months ago and I informed you guys he's been sold?
Well, the new owner called me days ago that he wants to return him because he's tired and didn't realize training a dog is so much work. He said he doesn't even want his money back, I can take him.

When I went to the bus park to pick up my dog, I could barely recognize him. His condition was so bad that I had to call my vet to come meet me up and treat him there immediately. My vet was also shocked. Elmo was still playful and smart but everything else changed.
He said he forgot to brush his hair so he had so many matts that he had to use a clipper to shave off his hair. He didn't give him his vitamins or cod liver oil. His hair wasn't soft as it used to. Worst off, one side of his jaw was swollen, like he had an infection. Then he had ticks all over. Gosh! I felt like crying for Elmo. I was even ashamed to bring him out of his carrier.

I've attached a picture of how he looked before I sold him and how he looks now. If you still care about your pet and you're not selling him simply because you need money, then don't bother. No one will treat it like you do.

Any suggestion on what i can do to make him regain his health quickly? I've bought his pet accessories all over again because they didn't return the ones i sent with him. I've also bought sleeky vitamins and cod liver oil plus one shampoo like that which cleans and conditions the hair. Whew!

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Ever Sell Your Pet. I Feel Like Crying by Mynd44: 4:57am On Aug 16, 2014
Smh
Re: Why You Should Never Ever Sell Your Pet. I Feel Like Crying by whirlwind7(m): 5:23am On Aug 16, 2014
You sold your pet simply because you needed money?
You don't own other things such as electronic gadgets, accessories (shoes, watches, brazillian wig grin) which you could sell off to tide you over, then purchase new sets later when you can afford to?

I dont want to believe you can contemplate selling a living, breathing thing, AFTER you have bonded with it as your pet.
Sorry, I have no empathy for you, cos you might still want to sell it in a few months when you need cash.

5 Likes

Re: Why You Should Never Ever Sell Your Pet. I Feel Like Crying by mitchyy(f): 5:38am On Aug 16, 2014
whirlwind7: You sold your pet simply because you needed money?
You don't own other things such as electronic gadgets, accessories (shoes, watches, brazillian wig grin) which you could sell off to tide you over, then purchase new sets later when you can afford to?

I dont want to believe you can contemplate selling a living, breathing thing, AFTER you have bonded with it as your pet.
Sorry, I have no empathy for you, cos you might still want to sell it in a few months when you need cash.
I'm sure you only read the title of this thread and looked at the pictures only.

Excerpts from my post above "If you still care
about your pet and you're not selling him simply
because you need money, then don't bother. No one
will treat it like you do."

If you saw my previous thread when I put him up for sale here on nairaland, you'll see I sold him because my work was always taking me away from home and I couldn't leave him unattended. That is why I sold him to someone who has a pet believing he's in better hands.
People sell their pet cus they need money, but if it isn't because you need money, then I advise you don't sell your pet from experience.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Ever Sell Your Pet. I Feel Like Crying by Seun(m): 9:32am On Aug 16, 2014
@mitchyy: From your experience, I think the lesson is that you should sell your pet to someone who knows how to take care of it and is willing to do so. For a Lhasa Apso like yours, it is important for a new owner to understand that they must groom the hair every day, and bath him with conditioners that help to untangle the hair, or else it will surely matt and they will have to shave him. It's also important to know that they are not eager to obey like German Shepherds; training them is a challenge because they are mischievous & independent. When I post the challenges of a breed on an ad thread, people think I'm spoiling business for them, but this is precisely what I want to prevent.

Any suggestion on what i can do to make him regain his health quickly? I've bought his pet accessories all over again because they didn't return the ones i sent with him. I've also bought sleeky vitamins and cod liver oil plus one shampoo like that which cleans and conditions the hair. Whew!
Just continue to take good care of him like you were doing before you sold him. His hair will grow back and he will look awesome once again.
Re: Why You Should Never Ever Sell Your Pet. I Feel Like Crying by Seun(m): 10:04am On Aug 16, 2014
mitchyy: I sold him because my work was always taking me away from home and I couldn't leave him unattended. That is why I sold him to someone who has a pet believing he's in better hands.
What kind of pet did the buyer have?

When you sell your pet, it's a good idea to visit or call the buyer frequently to help them to sort out any challenges that they might be having.
Re: Why You Should Never Ever Sell Your Pet. I Feel Like Crying by mayorall(m): 11:42am On Aug 16, 2014
You have more fault here sorry to say.

Did you teach the buyer how to take of the particular and dog?

Did you tell him the challenges?

How many times have you checked on the pet if you truly care for him/her as you claimed?

These are things you supposed to have done before and after you sold the pet. Good as you got back your pet. take care of her and give a warm welcome cheesy
Re: Why You Should Never Ever Sell Your Pet. I Feel Like Crying by mitchyy(f): 4:34pm On Aug 16, 2014
mayorall: You have more fault here sorry to say.

How many times have you checked on the pet if you truly care for him/her as you claimed?

These are things you supposed to have done before and after you sold the pet. Good as you got back your pet. take care of her and give a warm welcome cheesy

This is someone who even taught me how to train Elmo o. He even told me the importance of cod liver oil. I guess he can only teach but can't practice.

And no, I can't leave my job and travel 6hrs or more everytime just to check on a dog I've already sold. Weigh the facts well now before you apportion blame
Re: Why You Should Never Ever Sell Your Pet. I Feel Like Crying by Apitch(m): 5:52pm On Aug 16, 2014
mayorall: You have more fault here sorry to say.

If she had all that time, why would she sell the dog and please let's get facts straight before blaming people
She has done no wrong here so please stop adding more pains than she is in already

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Ever Sell Your Pet. I Feel Like Crying by mitchyy(f): 7:45pm On Aug 16, 2014
Seun: @mitchyy: From your experience, I think the lesson is that you should sell your pet to someone who knows how to take care of it and is willing to do so. For a Lhasa Apso like yours, it is important for a new owner to understand that they must groom the hair every day, and bath him with conditioners that help to untangle the hair, or else it will surely matt and they will have to shave him. It's also important to know that they are not eager to obey like German Shepherds; training them is a challenge because they are mischievous & independent. When I post the challenges of a breed on an ad thread, people think I'm spoiling business for them, but this is precisely what I want to prevent.

Just continue to take good care of him like you were doing before you sold him. His hair will grow back and he will look awesome once again.

Thanks Seun. Elmo is mischievous like every Lhasa but I always trained him to listen and I ensured I maintain him. I can't wait for him to regain himself. He has even forgotten some of his commands. When I wanted to brush his back he was growling. Wonder why
Re: Why You Should Never Ever Sell Your Pet. I Feel Like Crying by mitchyy(f): 8:02pm On Aug 16, 2014
Seun: What kind of pet did the buyer have?

When you sell your pet, it's a good idea to visit or call the buyer frequently to help them to sort out any challenges that they might be having.
Yeah. I should have considered that. He owns an Alsatian. Has trained a Boerboel before too.
But he had the experience cus he was giving me tips when I got Elmo as a puppy. Anyway, lesson learnt. Won't make that mistake again
Re: Why You Should Never Ever Sell Your Pet. I Feel Like Crying by Prodeegee(m): 2:13am On Aug 17, 2014
mitchyy:
I'm sure you only read the title of this thread and looked at the pictures only.

Excerpts from my post above "If you still care
about your pet and you're not selling him simply
because you need money, then don't bother. No one
will treat it like you do."

If you saw my previous thread when I put him up for sale here on nairaland, you'll see I sold him because my work was always taking me away from home and I couldn't leave him unattended. That is why I sold him to someone who has a pet believing he's in better hands.
People sell their pet cus they need money, but if it isn't because you need money, then I advise you don't sell your pet from experience.
The question now is do you have more time for your "returned Pet"? Cos u might end up as your buyer, not giving your pet the desired time.
Re: Why You Should Never Ever Sell Your Pet. I Feel Like Crying by Jackeeh(m): 3:15pm On Aug 17, 2014
mitchyy: Thanks Seun. Elmo is mischievous like every Lhasa but I always trained him to listen and I ensured I maintain him. I can't wait for him to regain himself. He has even forgotten some of his commands. When I wanted to brush his back he was growling. Wonder why

He growled cos He's angry at u. U sold him out for pete's sake.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Ever Sell Your Pet. I Feel Like Crying by Seun(m): 5:39pm On Aug 17, 2014
Jackeeh: He growled cos He's angry at u. U sold him out for pete's sake.
No, he's a dog. He does not know that he was "sold out". All he knows is that he was taken away and that he has been brought back.

I think he growled because he is no longer used to having his hair brushed daily since it has rarely been done in the last 2 months. The process is probably more painful for him because his hair is tangled. Lhasa Apsos can be really ferocious when they are in pain.
Re: Why You Should Never Ever Sell Your Pet. I Feel Like Crying by Nobody: 5:46pm On Aug 17, 2014
Elmo the prodigal son is back. grin
Re: Why You Should Never Ever Sell Your Pet. I Feel Like Crying by henry007(m): 8:50pm On Aug 17, 2014
Seun: @mitchyy: From your experience, I think the lesson is that you should sell your pet to someone who knows how to take care of it and is willing to do so. For a Lhasa Apso like yours, it is important for a new owner to understand that they must groom the hair every day, and bath him with conditioners that help to untangle the hair, or else it will surely matt and they will have to shave him. It's also important to know that they are not eager to obey like German Shepherds; training them is a challenge because they are mischievous & independent. When I post the challenges of a breed on an ad thread, people think I'm spoiling business for them, but this is precisely what I want to prevent.

its not even a Lhasa apso
Re: Why You Should Never Ever Sell Your Pet. I Feel Like Crying by mitchyy(f): 8:58am On Aug 18, 2014
henry007: its not even a Lhasa apso

Its a bull dog then. Or maybe an alsatian. Lmao!

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Never Ever Sell Your Pet. I Feel Like Crying by mitchyy(f): 9:03am On Aug 18, 2014
Jackeeh:

He growled cos He's angry at u. U sold him out for pete's sake.

Oh yeah? How come he was jumping all over me immediately he caught sight of me at the park?
Animals have a loving heart and are very unlike us. Don't compare them to us that will beef and never let go
Re: Why You Should Never Ever Sell Your Pet. I Feel Like Crying by mitchyy(f): 9:09am On Aug 18, 2014
Seun:
No, he's a dog. He does not know that he was "sold out". All he knows is that he was taken away and that he has been brought back.

I think he growled because he is no longer used to having his hair brushed daily since it has rarely been done in the last 2 months. The process is probably more painful for him because his hair is tangled. Lhasa Apsos can be really ferocious when they are in pain.

Yeah ure right. But he already shaved his hair off before bringing him though. He doesn't growl anymore. And thanks to Frontline spray, the ticks are almost totally gone.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Ever Sell Your Pet. I Feel Like Crying by mitchyy(f): 9:30am On Aug 18, 2014
eighTHREAD: Elmo the prodigal son is back. grin

I'm the one who should be called prodigal mother o. Lol

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Ever Sell Your Pet. I Feel Like Crying by mitchyy(f): 9:54am On Aug 18, 2014
Jackeeh:

Still I wish he'd eat up all ur nice shoes tongue

He has already fulfilled your wish. I keep N1250 by window, but I didn't know it fell on the floor. He left the 50naira, ignored the 200naira and ate up my N1000 note. I guess that's my payback sad
Re: Why You Should Never Ever Sell Your Pet. I Feel Like Crying by Jackeeh(m): 10:32am On Aug 18, 2014
mitchyy:

He has already fulfilled your wish. I keep N1250 by window, but I didn't know it fell on the floor. He left the 50naira, ignored the 200naira and ate up my N1000 note. I guess that's my payback sad

grin grin grin awwwwww I love me some Elmo. I wish I could give him a treat. Well I'm happy now. So tell him I said, no more chewing. Lol

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

edited AKURE Rottweiler Puppies For Sale / fantastic Rare Color Caucasian Female Puppy For Sale..for Big Boyz Only..pix / We Made History Today! Bsquaredkennels Exported The 1st Ever Caucasian Pup To US

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.