Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,800 members, 7,827,949 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:54 PM

What Do You Feed Your Pet? - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / What Do You Feed Your Pet? (10277 Views)

Snap and upload your pet here [season 1] / Snap And Upload Your Pet's Picture Here. Its That Simple / Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do You Feed Your Pet? by Seun(m): 4:23am On May 09, 2005
Hi there,

Our two dogs, Bily and Shermin, are very picky eaters. They do not take rice with stew in it; they will not eat jollof rice. We have to buy fish in the market, boil it and mix it with boiled rice for them! Our previous dogs used to eat mostly rice and stew mixed with leftover bone or pieces of meat left over from other cooking activities, but these ones are just too picky!

Our cats used to be fed on bread and tea, and a variety of foods (they are so small; they eat so little compared to dogs)

What about your pets?

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Feed Your Pet? by c0dec(m): 4:35pm On May 09, 2005
my dog eats everything, including MAN FLESH. ha ha ah

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Feed Your Pet? by Ra(f): 1:38pm On May 12, 2005
c0dec, please remind me never to come visiting!

Now my dogs, when I had them back home, were a bit more cultivated( tongue)

I generally fed them everything ranging from leftovers to a special mix of dog food that I can't remember all of the ingredients now save for Soya beans, Cray fish, biscuit bone and some other things ground together. I would also buy discarded bone (with some flesh on it when I'm lucky) from butchers at Bodija market.

When I had rabbits, they simply fed on grass.
Re: What Do You Feed Your Pet? by c0dec(m): 12:16pm On May 13, 2005
rabbits. cute animals

i particularly hate goats, i once spent a week at a relative's in anambra and they had pet goats. they are simply very daft animals. all they do is eat, eat and eat anything green.

man! they are alwasys chewing. when they are not eating, guess what... they are eating.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do You Feed Your Pet? by loomboc(m): 2:44pm On May 28, 2005
I give Petra my Dog this and it became the Dog of the year.
add OKRO, FISH, OIL, MAGGI, to water allow to boil well and put garri. Turn it well into eba but make sure it is not too hard cos when it cools may be too hard for your dog to swallow. The name of the recipie is DOG FOOD IMPROVER
Re: What Do You Feed Your Pet? by twinkledew(f): 4:21pm On Jun 13, 2005
Loomboc, what sort of food is that? You are probably giving your dog food poison.

Anyway, you all should give your Dog a treat by buying dog biscuit. I give my dogs canned food like pedigree, etc, but most times I give them soft meat mixed with vegetable, or meat mixed with pasta etc.

My dogs get tired of food - if they take it more than thrice in a month they would stop eating it, so my advice to you people is to change their food at all times, and please stop mixing all sorts of food for your dog that you yourself wouldn't be able to eat at the end of the day.

Dogs are human as well - if you can't feed them or take care of them please don't have them. You get fined down here or get thrown into jail if you mistreat your dogs.

Why would someone keep goats as pets and what is it about snakes? I do not have a clue why someone would keep them as pets. That is crazy.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Feed Your Pet? by loomboc(m): 10:30pm On Jun 15, 2005
twinkledew, don't take me wrong it is not that I don't give my dog a bery good food but at times they don't find it easy to eat probably when they loose appetite, Dog improver as my dog's doctor called it is not a poison but to assist the dog to feed well. The point a which it takes food well I always switch to the better ones remember not all that glitters is gold the recipe might look rough but if you prepare it well it contains all nutrients they need.

Secondly this is our world we feed our pets with what we have so far it is balanced. the octor that gave me the reciepie made me to know that if you really look 4 the imported improver it will be almost exactly like what I described because you going to mix it too with hot water and it going to draw like okro so why can't we try the local ones too.

I always take good care of my dog, because it is human best friend for those who appreciate them, so check it out and reply me still.
Re: What Do You Feed Your Pet? by hotangel2(f): 7:29am On Aug 07, 2005
My Pet Doesn't Eat. It's A Rabbit. Teddy
Bear.
Re: What Do You Feed Your Pet? by Scorpio(f): 8:17pm On Nov 03, 2005
My cousin( she's 9) has a guinea-pig, it's the cutest thing cheesy mostly eats celery, alfalfa and sometimes little bits of apple. we tend to add their yoghurt for her, she loves it.
Re: What Do You Feed Your Pet? by damygurl(f): 2:24am On Nov 04, 2005
Same here. i got me a big green froggy. looks a lot like elmo on sesame street. best pet ever!! don't need no cleaning up just a lil hug once in a while!!
Re: What Do You Feed Your Pet? by Oracle(m): 5:07am On Nov 04, 2005
presently we dont have dogs
but when we had them they ate anything,everything edible
once they see u eat it they'll eat it too
well unfortunately they both died
one after the other
and since then we dont have dogs

Re: What Do You Feed Your Pet? by nd: 12:31am On Feb 03, 2006
Well i feed my dogs with milk(pounded cabin+milk+sugar) in the early hours of the day and at evening with flesh meals mixed with rice thats all and water.
Re: What Do You Feed Your Pet? by JOJO5: 4:34am On Mar 06, 2006
It is so important to give your dog a complete and a balanced meal. Like you said they are just like people and when they eat well, you will see the difference in thei appearance. I love my dog. We are very close and he even sleeps in my bedroom at night. I only have one dog now (a 5 year old rottweiler), because my second dog died a few months ago at the age of 14 years. We all cried.

I feed my dogs JO-JO Dog food, that is why I am calling myself JO-JO on this site. People think they save money by doing all these recipes, but believe me since he was born my rottweiller has not fallen sick once and he is so big and shiny. The only time he sees a vet docto is for his annual vaccinations. It is the food!

Also I am so excited about this new magazine. Have you guys seen it? Dog's World Magazine? It is great ! ! They sell it at Park n Shop, Shoprite and from vet doctors nationwide. You will find a lot of information about dogs in Nigeria in the magazine. Check them out. Their website is http://www.geocities.com/caninewelfare/.html.
Re: What Do You Feed Your Pet? by talk2ll: 9:15am On Mar 06, 2006
My dogs eat anything as long as u mix it with fish or meat water. My puppies eat bread soaked in milk or golden morn or soya and wheat mixed into a form of pap.
Re: What Do You Feed Your Pet? by bluehorizo(m): 12:28pm On May 12, 2008
Feed your dog with whatever that you eat.
Re: What Do You Feed Your Pet? by iice(f): 2:43pm On May 12, 2008
Errh i know i should feed them dog or cat food but hmmmm they eat whatever i eat grin grin Hence they are overweight and terribly spoilt. . . cheesy cheesy
Re: What Do You Feed Your Pet? by HRhotness(f): 2:48pm On May 12, 2008
I used to have a cat (till my ex killd him cry)

and he was the spoiltest animal ever
he aquired a taste for desserts and ribena

i used to feed him anything i was having as well as standard cat food and baby food (he just loved it),,, he had the run of the house and basically did whatever he wanted. he was treated like royalty and expected nothin less,,,
I still miss him cry
Re: What Do You Feed Your Pet? by Busta(f): 2:52pm On May 12, 2008
My Dog will eat anything but if its not her favourite dog food, She'll throw it up after a while undecided
Re: What Do You Feed Your Pet? by iice(f): 2:56pm On May 12, 2008
Busta, atleast yours even manages to eat it. . .one of mine will just snort and walk away grin grin She's extremely picky
Re: What Do You Feed Your Pet? by Busta(f): 4:32pm On May 12, 2008
iice:

Busta, atleast yours even manages to eat it. . .one of mine will just snort and walk away grin grin She's extremely picky

dat one na celebrity dog oh. she don't eat junk grin
Re: What Do You Feed Your Pet? by Morrie(f): 1:10pm On Jun 13, 2008
i donot have a pet, and i donot wish to get one. kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: What Do You Feed Your Pet? by ZainabMartins(f): 8:52pm On Jun 15, 2012
Attention Dog Food Buyers

16 people poisoned by Diamond Dog food. Diamond pet food removed from US market. Visit: cbsnews.com for further details.

Visit http://efoodalert.net/diamond-pet-foods-etc-recalls-2012/readers-report-their-experience-with-recalled-pet-foods/ for the list of affected products and number of pets killed so far.

Total Illnesses/Deaths (as of June 11, 2012)
All pet reports (includes FDA and media reports): 51 (7 dead)
Cats: 14 (2 dead)
Dogs: 34 (4 dead)
Unspecified: 3 (1 dead)
People (includes 17 confirmed cases): 19

Prevent the dumping of unwanted goods in Nigeria! Please think twice before buying this product. Your dog deserves better.

http://efoodalert.net/

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Feed Your Pet? by Tobiosakwe: 10:07am On Sep 11, 2014
I just fed my puppy whatever I feel like I'm not at all brand conscious, I've feed him cane food by diamond, pedigree, boiled swine meat, apple heck I've even given him my morning cereal wink

Nothing ever happened to him, "vet free since he was born"
Re: What Do You Feed Your Pet? by Aisosaonipede(f): 10:18am On Sep 11, 2014
Tobiosakwe: I just fed my puppy whatever I feel like I'm not at all brand conscious, I've feed him cane food by diamond, pedigree, boiled swine meat, apple heck I've even given him my morning cereal wink

Nothing ever happened to him, "vet free since he was born"

Dude seriously? cheesy Your left over cereal?

On a serious note stop all this before it's too late, if your pet doesn't get the proteins he needs in his growing age you might end up losing him.
Re: What Do You Feed Your Pet? by Tobiosakwe: 7:46am On Sep 12, 2014
Aisosaonipede:

Dude seriously? cheesy Your left over cereal?

On a serious note stop all this before it's too late, if your pet doesn't get the proteins he needs in his growing age you might end up losing him.

What ? :O

NO WAY! What do you give to your dog?

1 Like

Re: What Do You Feed Your Pet? by Aisosaonipede(f): 10:47am On Sep 15, 2014
Tobiosakwe:

What ? :O

NO WAY! What do you give to your dog?

Well its very important that you fed your dog the right quantity and the right proteins, try any of the popular brands and you will see a difference within a few weeks for sure ....
Re: What Do You Feed Your Pet? by Tobiosakwe: 10:49am On Sep 15, 2014
Aisosaonipede:

Well its very important that you fed your dog the right quantity and the right proteins, try any of the popular brands and you will see a difference within a few weeks for sure ....

What do you recommend??
Re: What Do You Feed Your Pet? by theanonymous: 6:04pm On Sep 15, 2014
Aisosaonipede:

pls what breed of Dog is that on your dp?
Re: What Do You Feed Your Pet? by Aisosaonipede(f): 10:05am On Sep 17, 2014
theanonymous:

pls what breed of Dog is that on your dp?

She's a crossed breed of samoyed smiley
Re: What Do You Feed Your Pet? by Aisosaonipede(f): 10:07am On Sep 17, 2014
Tobiosakwe:

What do you recommend??

Try Diamond Food or JOJO Dog Food. I have been a loyal Diamond food customer since few years but had to change it because of some negative reports of the ingredients they used. I recently changed to JO JO Dog food and I would say that I'm not at all in a mood to change now, they have a wide range of product line; energy dog food for security dogs, puppy food specially for growing dogs, economic food not only that they have medicated shampoos and there's was one product I like the most was "Puppy Tearless Shampoo". Try JoJo I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
Re: What Do You Feed Your Pet? by coolsegun2002: 3:08pm On Sep 19, 2014
I recently moved close to shopright...so I happen to have access to chicken regularly for my lhasa...but dexter..now doesn't wanna take anything not even his biscuits he used to really like...don't know wat else to do...I even tried forcing him to take rice nd fish...by leaving him with it the whole day...he ddnt take...I refused to feed him Dat day nd gave the rice nd fish to him the next day with more fish but dexter ddnt bulge...I couldn't punish him any longer...so I gave him chicken again...im confused.....not like I can't afford it...cos the chicken is really cheap from shoprite...I just don't know what effect dis might have on him...nd his poo is now different from what it used to be....

(1) (Reply)

Pedigree German Sherperd For Sale / Diamond Pet Food And Pedigree Food Which Is The Best? / What Food Or Diet Is Best For A German Shepherd Dog

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.