Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,839 members, 7,817,479 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:57 PM

How Small Have You Been Selling Hiim? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Small Have You Been Selling Hiim? (1241 Views)

Take Steps, No Matter How Small! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Small Have You Been Selling Hiim? by PastorOluT(m): 3:09pm On Aug 16, 2014
Several years ago, a preacher from a distant town accepted a call from a church in Leeds. Some weeks after his arrival, he had an appointment that made him to board a bus to another part of the town. When he sat down, he discovered that the driver had mistakenly given him his balance in excess of 50 pence. As he considered what to do, he thought within him, 'You'd better give this money back. It would be wrong to keep it'. Then another thought came, "Oh, forget it, it's only 50p; who would worry about this little amount, afterall the bus company makes so much money on fares; they will never miss it. Accept it as 'a gift from God' and keep quiet. "When he was getting down from the bus, he paused momentarily at the door, and then handed the 50p to the driver and said, 'Take; the balance you gave me was over'. The driver, with a smile, replied,'Aren't you the new preacher in town?' 'Yes I am' he replied.'Well, I have been thinking a lot lately about where to go to worship. I just wanted to see what you would do if I give you balance in excess. I'll worship with you at the church this Sunday.

When the preacher stepped off the bus, he grabbed a nearby electric pole, looked up and said, 'Oh God, I almost sold your Son for 50 pence. Our lifestyles are the only Bible some people will ever read.

This is just a subtle example of how much people watch us as Christians, and will put us to the test! Always be on guard -- and remember -- You carry the name of Christ on your forehead and shoulders once you call yourself a Christian. 'Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character.Watch your character; it becomes your destiny'.

Please don't miss THE RAPTURE. If you must miss any meal, please don't miss THE MARRIAGE SUPPER OF THE LAMB. The end is no more NEAR, It's HERE.

Stay blessed and remain rapturable

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Small Have You Been Selling Hiim? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 1:10am On Aug 17, 2014
Foolish bus driver. No wonder he ended up driving a bus around town. They don't get dumber than this.

I guess on sunday he gave that same pastor 10% of his earnings.

3 Likes

Re: How Small Have You Been Selling Hiim? by Oluwason(m): 4:16am On Aug 17, 2014
AlfaSeltzer: Foolish bus driver. No wonder he ended up driving a bus around town. They don't get dumber than this.

So what make the driver dumb, I guess 'cos he was trying the integrity of a man with a few pence?
Re: How Small Have You Been Selling Hiim? by PastorOluT(m): 9:22am On Aug 20, 2014
AlfaSeltzer: Foolish bus driver. No wonder he ended up driving a bus around town. They don't get dumber than this.

God loves u, and still calling u not wanting u to perish,

Ur master has lost n doomed for all eternity, so why continue in a sinking boat?

1 Like

Re: How Small Have You Been Selling Hiim? by Elijah78: 10:38am On Aug 20, 2014
Yes our actions is what draws men to God

2 Likes

Re: How Small Have You Been Selling Hiim? by mbaemeka(m): 1:39pm On Aug 20, 2014
Bleep: ^

What is the intent of the storyteller here,

and what message is he or she trying to convey? Is it a worthwhile one
?

Some questions are in order to determine the answer:

What would the driver have surmised if the preacher was not paying attention to his change and did not return the quarter?

Was the driver judging after the appearance?

How would he know if the preacher was a Pharisee in spirit,

one who
gave alms, fasted, prayed, “tithed grin mint, rue, and cumin,”

returned unwarranted change, but ignored the weightier matters of the Law?

What kind of Savior is Jesus Christ if the driver should stumble over an error or deliberate offense on the part of the preacher?

What chance is there for mankind if it is dependent upon the virtue of mankind?

Is the salvation of another a matter of chance and human virtue, or is it guaranteed by the finished work of Jesus Christ in His death and resurrection?

Is Jesus Christ supposed to be saving the driver, or is the preacher supposed to be saving Jesus Christ?

Has the driver never experienced anyone not professing faith in Christ returning that which did not belong to them?

Perhaps it could be argued that the driver was merely preliminarily testing the waters.

If the driver was looking for a place to worship, should not the preacher have been speaking the truth of John 4 to him?:

“Jesus said to her, Woman, believe Me, the hour is coming when you shall neither worship the Father in this mountain nor yet at Jerusalem. You worship what you do not know, we know what we worship, for salvation is of the Jews. But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers shall worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father seeks such to worship Him. God is a spirit, and they who worship Him must worship in spirit and in truth” (John 4:21-24 MKJV).

If Jesus could save us when we were yet sinners - His enemies, caring nothing for Him, indeed, hating Him - need we live in fear, anxiously grasping lampposts once we are His, lest we should offend?

Will He only have strength to carry us so far, compelling us to take responsibility for the rest of the way, or is He as He declared Himself to be, the Alpha and the Omega, the Author and Finisher of our faith?

This story is another primo sappy story, very fleshly. It is unreal and manipulative.

The bus driver’s conclusions about the preacher are not valid, and the preacher’s conclusions about the Lord and the bus driver are not valid.

Many people would give the quarter back. Catch Hitler at the right moment, and he would, too. So do you go follow him as a man of God?

The driver, or more truthfully, the storyteller, is caught by his cleverness, going by his own signs and criteria, not God’s.

Satan can be very clever and moralistic, especially if it involves and celebrates the righteousness of man

In this respect, the driver and the preacher, creations of our storyteller, are two peas in a pod. Both are walking in their own righteousness.

This story is a promotion of false Christianity, that is, man made.

The preacher could not sell what he did not have. He did not have the Lord. What he was wrestling with was his conscience. He may have sold his conscience for a quarter, but not God’s Son. And had the preacher sold his conscience, failing the bus driver’s test, the bus driver would only have missed going to that preacher’s service. Presumably, he would not have stopped looking for a church to attend.

Imagine Jesus grasping a lamppost, so relieved He had not almost blown it! That could never happen to an omnipotent, holy Savior. So those who are Christ’s true ministers have their faith in Him, and not in their fallibility to represent Him; they know better, knowing Him. Neither do true ministers of Christ permit or indulge seekers to place their faith in them.

But that still does not ensure that the bus driver was looking for God; in fact, the driver’s criteria to discern true worth in an alleged man of God could very well say otherwise. If God were drawing him, he would not have been testing anyone in that way – God would have inspired him differently.

If a man is truly searching for God, he is not looking for a man or church. Neither will a thousand lying preachers and angels keep him away from Christ, because God is drawing him, and who or what can prevent God? Darkness compels the true seeker towards the Light.

To paraphrase the Scriptures, man’s unrighteousness commends God’s righteousness, and the Truth of God abounds through men’s lies (Romans 3:3 and following).

As for the “Watch your whatevers” at the end of this document, it is true that thoughts may lead to words and actions, actions to habits, habits to character, and we become what we choose to think, speak, and do. It is true that we serve as examples for others and should therefore be careful that we are not a cause of stumbling.

Now what shall we do? Shall we trust in our own strength,
or shall we trust the Lord to deliver us because we are without strength? Is He in our hands, or are we in His? Just who is the potter, and who is the clay?

Victor Hafichuk
Paul Cohen

http://www.thepathoftruth.com/teachings/sappystories/busdriver.htm
Re: How Small Have You Been Selling Hiim? by Precious14: 1:10am On Nov 22, 2014
Thought provoking. Thank you PastorOluT. The end is indeed here
PastorOluT:
Several years ago, a preacher from a distant town accepted a call from a church in Leeds. Some weeks after his arrival, he had an appointment that made him to board a bus to another part of the town. When he sat down, he discovered that the driver had mistakenly given him his balance in excess of 50 pence. As he considered what to do, he thought within him, 'You'd better give this money back. It would be wrong to keep it'. Then another thought came, "Oh, forget it, it's only 50p; who would worry about this little amount, afterall the bus company makes so much money on fares; they will never miss it. Accept it as 'a gift from God' and keep quiet. "When he was getting down from the bus, he paused momentarily at the door, and then handed the 50p to the driver and said, 'Take; the balance you gave me was over'. The driver, with a smile, replied,'Aren't you the new preacher in town?' 'Yes I am' he replied.'Well, I have been thinking a lot lately about where to go to worship. I just wanted to see what you would do if I give you balance in excess. I'll worship with you at the church this Sunday.

When the preacher stepped off the bus, he grabbed a nearby electric pole, looked up and said, 'Oh God, I almost sold your Son for 50 pence. Our lifestyles are the only Bible some people will ever read.

This is just a subtle example of how much people watch us as Christians, and will put us to the test! Always be on guard -- and remember -- You carry the name of Christ on your forehead and shoulders once you call yourself a Christian. 'Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character.Watch your character; it becomes your destiny'.

Please don't miss THE RAPTURE. If you must miss any meal, please don't miss THE MARRIAGE SUPPER OF THE LAMB. The end is no more NEAR, It's HERE.

Stay blessed and remain rapturable

1 Like

Re: How Small Have You Been Selling Hiim? by PastorOluT(m): 7:17pm On Jan 04, 2015
Precious14:

Hello, long time ow have u been, hope all is well?

Happy New Year, enjoy the year in d presence of the Lord.

1 Like

Re: How Small Have You Been Selling Hiim? by Precious14: 10:43pm On Jan 06, 2015
PastorOluT:

Hello, long time ow have u been, hope all is well?

Happy New Year, enjoy the year in d presence of the Lord.

PastorOluT i am fine thank you and i believe you are doing well too?

A happy new year to you too.....Thank you

1 Like

Re: How Small Have You Been Selling Hiim? by PastorOluT(m): 2:23pm On Jan 08, 2015
Precious14:

PastorOluT i am fine thank you and i believe you are doing well too?

A happy new year to you too.....Thank you

U welcome

1 Like

Re: How Small Have You Been Selling Hiim? by PastorOluT(m): 8:38pm On Mar 22, 2015
Precious14:

U know we gatto talk!

1 Like

Re: How Small Have You Been Selling Hiim? by dorox(m): 9:27pm On Mar 22, 2015
I know for sure that this story is fabricated.

1 Like

Re: How Small Have You Been Selling Hiim? by davien(m): 4:26am On Mar 23, 2015
I guess when you also test a Buddhist/Muslim/hindu,etc and he/she passes,that means we're automatically justified to follow them...

1 Like

Re: How Small Have You Been Selling Hiim? by Oluwason(m): 10:12am On Apr 15, 2015
dorox:
I know for sure that this story is fabricated.

Why, because we dont have people with integrity again?
Re: How Small Have You Been Selling Hiim? by Oluwason(m): 10:14am On Apr 15, 2015
davien:
I guess when you also test a Buddhist/Muslim/hindu,etc and he/she passes,that means we're automatically justified to follow them...

Nope, we have people of other religion with integrity, but sir that doesnt make them justified, it takes only the blood of Jesus for one to be Justified!

1 Like

Re: How Small Have You Been Selling Hiim? by PastorOluT(m): 2:04pm On Apr 15, 2015
davien:

Integrity could be found anywhere, yh they would pass the test of integrity, bt remember the driver was looking for a church n not a mosque or some temple?

(1) (Reply)

Ask God One Question / Pope Francis' Trilla In Manilla: Record 6million People Attend Mass (PICS) / SERMON JOTTERS: Five Sins That Jesus Hated Most - Zac Poonen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.